Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2012, 15:46   #3496
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Thanks. I would definitely go for the engine oil as prescribed by Mahindra (MAXMILE CROWN). My query is as per, Team BHP Running in's, it would be better to change oil after 1000 kms, so.

But I thought brake grinding noise occurred only during braking when the vehicle is in motion. I have never felt the same or any such issues while driving, this occurred while parking in a steep gradient. Mine is a August 2012 manufactured vehicle. Is it imply that brake grinding issue still persists. I would request fellow owners to check their vehicle in such position.
Yes it does happen in motion but also when rolling slowly. Particularly with the handbrake, because the handbrake doesn't engage completely and allows a little roll, this is when the noise happens. I got the brake pads changed on 1 Sep, that was when I was told that the new ones had just come in. So it's possible that your vehicle might have the older version of brake pads. Check it out with your servicenter and get it changed if it is.

It's easy to distinguish between the two: the older variety has two grooves running across it, while the newer design has bevels on the sides.
kaiserketkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 16:53   #3497
BHPian

Hey guys! I did a test drive of the XUV 500 two days back so I thought I'd type in my personal review. This is going to be my very first review so please provide your valuable feed- back in case I go wrong somewhere and I sincerely hope that someone finds this helpful.

I spent a good hour and a half with the new Mahindra, about half of which was spent along with my dad. We were caught in a fix with buying a new sedan when a thought came up in my mind: "Why not a reasonably priced SUV??". I mean they're huge and a bit of trouble in city traffic but we're looking at highway machines anyways and SUVs are known for their relaxed and comfortable long distance capabilities while offering a better sense of space and security. So I headed over to a Mahindra dealer in Cochin.

The SPs were very courteous and homely to deal with. I treated them like brothers (they were of my age group) and was able to collect some personal feedback them as well.

I was guided towards a brand- new silver XUV500 with alot of accessories fitted on by Mahindra themselves.

First impressions: Is that a Mahindra? I mean I know its one but damn!! Shes hot! I agree the front end looks unnecessarily busy (I guess they got too carried away with the whole cheetah design theme. The XUV looks more like a Sci- Fi vehicle to me. Only when one views their catalog does he understand what they intended to portray with the design.) The rest of the vehicle is pretty good looking. It looks well balanced from the side and is a pretty unique and attractive design according to my opinion. Its got a wide and strong stance and doesn't appear to hang from the edges like in SUVs having the traditional ladder frame chassis setup. The monocoque construction has given it a tight and agile appearance.

Stepping inside: The first thing I noticed on opening the door is the illuminated scuff plates holding the XUV500 logo. It looked pretty sweet with its cool blue lighting and brushed aluminium like cladding. The interiors on the silver XUVs get the black and burgundy color theme. I prefer this to the beige and brown colors which only accentuate the quality issues in an otherwise good- looking interior. The waterfall center console and the whole arrangement of the dash is pretty neat. The steering is nice and meaty to hold and looks nice too. The speedo, though a bit crowded is quite an eye- catcher. My mother fell in love with the interiors much to my amazement! (shes one of those critics who find the strangest of problems and I usually end up scratching my head trying to figure out the logic in her opinions) She loved the space on offer and the endless arrays of cubbyholes, dual glove boxes (she hated the felt lining and found them to be cheap looking) The XUV comes with a plethora of lights on the inside including the cool looking "lounge" lighting which gives the insides a club- like appearance during night drives.
The boot is huge when the 3rd row seats are folded down but quite pointess as manson pointed out in the official review. Me and father noticed a few irritants in the quality of the interiors like the reading lamps offered for each passenger. They look cheap and frail and has a toy- like appearance( must've been a last minute thought. Useful but looks CHEAP Mahindra!!) The glove box and storage compartments underneath the driver's armrest is lined with cheap- looking felt. Space is the saving grace here as during the test- drive, there were 7 people(me, 5 family members plus the SP) inside, 2 up front and 5, FIVE people on the second row. One of them was a kid mind you but they were all impressed with the space on offer. The loading of the boot was also nice and low- allowing for easy access to heavy luggage.

The test drive: The test drive started on a rough patch of road which led to a major highway. There were 7 people on board. It took some time for me to find a comfortable riding position. As I'm on slightly over 5'6", it was a bit funny to get the desired position as it was a battle against my long arms and not to long legs!! As we started rolling, I noticed that the engine is silky smooth. It was like driving my petrol i20! Of course I could sense the 140 bhp urging me to go but the level of refinement was right up there! I couldn't believe I was in a Mahindra. Sadly the gear- box isn't as slick as one would like. One should operate the clutch extra smoothly on the first two gears or you end up stalling the massive diesel motor. The NVH was good, except for a bit of a hum from the engine and the rather loud AC.

Though I was strictly warned by my nervous mother about staying under 60, before I realized I was doing over a 100!! So smooth and linear was the power delivery that you hardly noticed a thing. My mother was shocked when I told her the speed I hit as she felt absolutely nothing.

Visibility is excellent and the handling was nimble for such a big vehicle. I was quite astounded by the ride quality as it literally glided over the sharp ditch like connections we see on flyovers. Uneven roads were also dealt with a lackadaisical wavy motion at 80+kph rather than jumping over them like in a sedan or hatchback. The ride was quite mature and I was not at all intimidated by the pace and speed of the XUV even though it was my first time driving an SUV. YUP!! first time driving an SUV! It was maintaining its rapid pace while leaving its occupants and driver reassuringly relaxed. Impressive!!!

The Verdict: I'm definitely in love with the mature engine and suspension setup of this vehicle. It looks cool, rides cool, is fun, practical, spacious and definitely good value for money. I felt it had very impressive highway manners than some sedans I've driven and I heard that it also gives an economy around the 16kpl area which is really commendable for a vehicle of this size, weight and power.

The serious letdowns for me and my dad was the small but annoying quality issues inside the cabin. Sure we didn't expect top notch material quality from Mahindra but they surely could have used slightly better materials in small areas like the over head passenger lights, glove boxes and storage compartments. Also the keys were also pathetically cheap looking! Even my i20 has a much better looking key fob and it has impressive material quality as well. I mean for a 16 lakh rupee car one surely doesn't expect the materials to be cheap: A wobbling gear knob on the test vehicle no matter how much thrashing its received is just a big letdown and makes us think twice of the overall reliability of the vehicle. Dad would've definitely given the XUV a thumbs up if it weren't for these problems.

Anyways this would definitely be considered as one of our most promising options for our next family vehicle owing to its space, comfort and excellent road manners!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-xuv-1.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-xuv-02.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-xuv-03.jpg  

Vivek Jayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 18:39   #3498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
Way to go Sathya! Such excellent feedback from someone who is routinely pushing his XUV to its limit is very encouraging indeed. Now I have no apprehensions about taking delivery of my W6 which has reportedly been dispatched from the factory. It should arrive here in Jamshedpur by 18 Oct and I'm eagerly waiting for it.

Being a 61 year old fogey well past his prime, I'm not likely to push my XUV the way you do. But I definitely intend taking my XUV to 180 kmph or so once in a blue moon and driving at 50-60 kmph over potholed roads and speed breakers. I don't employ a driver and I'm buying the XUV primarily for my personal driving thrill.
Good to know that my feedback gave some confidence to you. XUV is definitely a good car and 100% not bad as it is being portrayed. It has some share of niggles (I would better call it irritants), but the Merits clearly mask the niggles. Go to a highway and press the gas pedal, you will smile to glory for sure. Trust me, the USP of the car is cruising at decent triple digit speeds ALL DAY LONG without breaking a sweat.

So, pls forget all these niggles and other threads that you might have gone through and GET READY TO ENJOY THE BEAST.. Lets take care of the niggles IF they arise.
Sathya_sc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 19:00   #3499
BHPian

Hello all,

I have left earlier posts regarding delivery of my booking. Story goes like this.......

I have taken a test drive of the vehicle on August 4th and was flatly bowled by it. I did some initial research, thanks to all BHPians, I have decided to go for W6 Black. My only reason of choosing W6 black is because, I am way happy for all the features provided in W6 compared to a W8(with all the niggles faced with electronics). So I made my booking on Aug 8th paying 40000 ti them.

I have called them after a month with curiosity in Sep first week to check on my CPD date. They have told me that I should be getting a date in a week or so. And so here wait starts, I have waited another week and get an amazing shock of my life that my CPD date is Feb 27th 2013. Two feelings at that moment - 1. *** 2. thank god, they didn't give me Feb 29 :(

Anyways, they said that usually I will get the vehicle in another month or two and gave me some hope that it is a system generated error. I have escalated the same to to the SC head of sales about the same and got his assurance that date is going to change and they will update me with new date. I have also emailed Mahindra customer service and Saurabh, relationship manager for Hyd has responded to me saying same thing.

Ok, I waited another month and today, Oct 8, I again followed up with them - they check again for my CPD date and said, it is still Feb 27th, 2013. WHAT ???????

Now, with curiosity turned frustration.. I called up Saurabh, relationship head, checking on same and he also responds that my date is in Feb, I was furious this time and I gave some examples of some more friends who have booked after me and are getting deliveries scheduled.( Debuda, i took your example also, thanks for the info)

I have booked this vehicle on company lease and my company is a priority customer to them and we also work with Mahindra very closely on their large deals. I raised all these things to the customer relationship head over there said that My booking on Aug 8th, 2012, from their priority customer company(their sales man told me that they give preference to corporate deals usually) who has a very close relationship with Mahindra, I get a special privilege of getting the car only after 7 months of booking.

Awesome Mahindra with your allocation system, I gave an ultimatum to all the people involved. They all said they will get back to me after talking to their Head office.

Let me also see what response they will get it to me by tomorrow. Suggest me some actions to take if the response stays same tomorrow also.

Hope you guys understand my curiosity turned frustration.
balenoboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 21:20   #3500
BHPian

Guys I am expecting my XUV in this month and I would like to get a few accessories along with it like the illuminated scuff plates, reverse parking camera and get the antirust + paint protection treatment done (is it really worth it or just a gimmick?). but I feel the rates are a bit higher compared to the deal what other members have got here. so I am mentioning the price below. kindly let me know if they are on par or more. also do note that the rates are all inclusive which also includes the fitting and labour charges.

1) ILLUMINATED SCUFF PLATE: Rs.3,500/-

2) REVERSE PARKING CAMERA: Rs.4,000/-

3) 3M ANTIRUST + PAINT PROTECTION 5 YRS WARRANTY: Rs.15,000/- (should I opt or not for this one?!)

4) IND.MARK EMBOSSED NO.PLATE: Rs.2,500/-

I also thought of CARPET LAMINATION which is for Rs.2,900/- but I think that might not be needed as I am already thinking of going for a good full floor matting like the 3D Kagu matts or equivalent. so also I would like you guys to suggest me some really good matting. whether 3D Kagu is good or is there anything better and reasonable as I saw a pic on the 3D Kagu matts thread where the driver side matt was starting to get torn in a years time and the water can easily seep in from there. so i don't want anything like that.

the pic about which I am talking is here ---> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...ers-side-1.jpg

I am also attaching the price list of the various accessories. kindly check them and let me know if they are priced correct. (I am thinking about the ones which are highlighted in blue)

I am also thinking about the sun film but maybe its better to think about that later and get it done by myself from outside IF I do find something suitable which is very less dark with 75-80% visibility or fully transperent with 100% visibility, like the front windshield films which just cuts the heat from direct sun.
Attached Files
File Type: xls XUV 5OO ACCESSORIES PRICE LIST.xls (31.5 KB, 4369 views)

Last edited by magikrider : 8th October 2012 at 21:23.
Old 8th October 2012, 21:38   #3501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
Guys I am expecting my XUV in this month and I would like to get a few accessories along with it like the illuminated scuff plates, reverse parking camera and get the antirust + paint protection treatment done (is it really worth it or just a gimmick?). but I feel the rates are a bit higher compared to the deal what other members have got here. so I am mentioning the price below. kindly let me know if they are on par or more. also do note that the rates are all inclusive which also includes the fitting and labour charges.

1) ILLUMINATED SCUFF PLATE: Rs.3,500/-

2) REVERSE PARKING CAMERA: Rs.4,000/-

3) 3M ANTIRUST + PAINT PROTECTION 5 YRS WARRANTY: Rs.15,000/- (should I opt or not for this one?!)

4) IND.MARK EMBOSSED NO.PLATE: Rs.2,500/-

I also thought of CARPET LAMINATION which is for Rs.2,900/- but I think that might not be needed as I am already thinking of going for a good full floor matting like the 3D Kagu matts or equivalent. so also I would like you guys to suggest me some really good matting. whether 3D Kagu is good or is there anything better and reasonable as I saw a pic on the 3D Kagu matts thread where the driver side matt was starting to get torn in a years time and the water can easily seep in from there. so i don't want anything like that.

the pic about which I am talking is here ---> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...ers-side-1.jpg

I am also attaching the price list of the various accessories. kindly check them and let me know if they are priced correct. (I am thinking about the ones which are highlighted in blue)

I am also thinking about the sun film but maybe its better to think about that later and get it done by myself from outside IF I do find something suitable which is very less dark with 75-80% visibility or fully transperent with 100% visibility, like the front windshield films which just cuts the heat from direct sun.
Don't know about other things but i got the illuminated scuff plates for Rs. 1500/-. Also, IND mark Hi-security number plates cost not more than Rs. 500/-
superbhikari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 22:24   #3502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari View Post
Don't know about other things but i got the illuminated scuff plates for Rs. 1500/-. Also, IND mark Hi-security number plates cost not more than Rs. 500/-
where did you get the illuminated scuff plates from? also I thought so that the high security IND mark plates would be much cheaper outside. so will mostly get it from outside. but I am not sure if similar illuminated scuff plates are available outside.
Old 8th October 2012, 23:29   #3503
BHPian

Quote:
where did you get the illuminated scuff plates from? also I thought so that the high security IND mark plates would be much cheaper outside. so will mostly get it from outside. but I am not sure if similar illuminated scuff plates are available outside.
See this for pics - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2920271
Old 8th October 2012, 23:52   #3504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari View Post
but aren't the scuff plate supposed to be where I have drawn a red oval? if you see the pic a few posts above also you will see its there. and also its a bit different.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-scuff-plates.jpg  

Old 9th October 2012, 00:20   #3505
BHPian

Scuff plate may be fitted at the position you pointed. I didn't noticed the position though at the time of fitting.
Old 9th October 2012, 07:37   #3506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoboy View Post
I called up Saurabh, relationship head, checking on same and he also responds that my date is in Feb, I was furious this time and I gave some examples of some more friends who have booked after me and are getting deliveries scheduled.( Debuda, i took your example also, thanks for the info)
7 months waiting time appears too much. I was under the impression that waiting time for XUV is gradually coming down all over India. You may be right in thinking that it is a system error. You need to escalate this to Region / State level sales office of M&M to obtain clarity. Also, if you talk to other customers who have booked with same dealer or other dealers in same city, you can ask them about their waiting period and quote it when you take up your problem with M&M.

In the worst case scenario, i.e., if you indeed get delivery in 2013, you can console yourself that :
  1. You will get a more niggle-free car, as M&M are (hopefully) making small improvements all the time.
  2. You will get a '2013' model car!

Either way, wishing you the very best.

Quote:
Guys I am expecting my XUV in this month and I would like to get the antirust + paint protection treatment done (is it really worth it or just a gimmick?).

3M ANTIRUST + PAINT PROTECTION 5 YRS WARRANTY: Rs.15,000/- (should I opt or not for this one?!)
My personal views on underbody treatment and paint protection are at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2919980
Old 9th October 2012, 07:50   #3507
BHPian

Delivery within 20 days of receipt of full payment to the dealer. I think the dealer name is G3.
Old 9th October 2012, 09:28   #3508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
My personal views on underbody treatment and paint protection are at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2919980
+1 to that. It indeed is a scam to fleece money by the dealers. Underbody and teflon coating on body are not at all required. Further if one is taking a few weeks old car for underbody painting one is in for more shock because the painting blokes would be wire brushing the dirt off resulting in damages to sound deadening and anti-corrosive coats. Therefore never ever fall prey to this ploy. Some dealers offer these as freebies when there is competition and if the model is a slow selling one and not generally done and would be cheating buyers by some pretext. They won't offer cash discount in lieu of these. Is a scam indeed.

Last edited by rajeev k : 9th October 2012 at 09:29.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 10:06   #3509
NIP
Senior - BHPian

I currently drive a 1.5 month old XUV (White W8) and am yet to see any niggles. I have done only 1400km, so its not much to write about also. But the vehicle is simply superb to drive and completely satisfactory!! I also drive (daily) a Scorpio 2.6 (Black '04 DX) which has done only 80k and runs like a gun! I can safely assure new buyers that the vehicle is niggle-free in all areas.

I do have a couple of small questions:

1. I hear a small rattle/clanking sound inside the rear hatch door. I noticed this on the delivery day itself, and the SA claimed its a lock mechanism and is present in all vehicles. Another owner friend also confirmed this, but seems weird.

2. I have a reverse cam installed and I would like to know if there is some way of turning it off also so I can use the regular reverse sensors when I want to? Also, I don't get the 'green grid' on the screen when I put the vehicle in reverse? Does this need a s/w upgrade?

3. How do I export saved routes from the navigation system to (for eg.) USB or Laptop?

4. How do I turn off the 'Mahindra Rise' animation that happens at the 'start'?

5. How can I turn off the infotainment display when I don't need it?! For eg., when the radio or CD id playing...this should be possible?!?

I would greatly appreciate if someone could answer my queries. Thanks in advance.
Old 9th October 2012, 10:40   #3510
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
I currently drive a 1.5 month old XUV (White W8) and am yet to see any niggles. I have done only 1400km, so its not much to write about also. But the vehicle is simply superb to drive and completely satisfactory!! I also drive (daily) a Scorpio 2.6 (Black '04 DX) which has done only 80k and runs like a gun! I can safely assure new buyers that the vehicle is niggle-free in all areas.
Congratulations NIP!

Quote:
I do have a couple of small questions:
2. I have a reverse cam installed and I would like to know if there is some way of turning it off also so I can use the regular reverse sensors when I want to? Also, I don't get the 'green grid' on the screen when I put the vehicle in reverse? Does this need a s/w upgrade?
The reverse camera does work in collaboration with the reverse sensors. As you approach any onstacle (in reverse gear), it does show you the distance from the object and starts beeping.
Green grid not showing -> please get it checked. Most likely a s/w issue.

Quote:
3. How do I export saved routes from the navigation system to (for eg.) USB or Laptop?

4. How do I turn off the 'Mahindra Rise' animation that happens at the 'start'?

5. How can I turn off the infotainment display when I don't need it?! For eg., when the radio or CD id playing...this should be possible?!?

I would greatly appreciate if someone could answer my queries. Thanks in advance.
For #3, #4 and #5, there is no way it can be done in current version.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks