Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2013, 14:25   #3856
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Tictactoe, agree with you on the steering. Had checked with the service guys during first service, but they said it was fine. One reason I see this as an issue could be due to the previous vehicles we had been using and the steering setup in it. I was using a Honda city which had an EPS (electronic power steering) which I believe adjusts according to the speed of the vehicle. At higher speeds I had felt the steering get harder and hence it would maintain a straight line irrespective of the small bumps or potholes. Linea might also be having a similar steering setup .

FundaG
I dont think Linea has a EPS. However it has a rock solid stability to it. It can get a bit difficult with linea to turn zig zag in a city drive. I realize that XUV steering is more condusive to a zippy city drive. Infact few days ago I wad driving the i10 and thought that XUV steering is much similar to it - providing a nice zippy city drive but a little unerving at high speeds.

In fact yesterday I was easily zigzagging across a busy city street in my XUV and realized that a Fortuner in front of me was really struggling to even get around.

So I guess its a tradeoff which designers have to make.
Old 3rd January 2013, 14:32   #3857
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tictactoe View Post
I dont think Linea has a EPS. However it has a rock solid stability to it. It can get a bit difficult with linea to turn zig zag in a city drive....
Linea hs HPS (Hydraulic Power Steering) which will be heavy at parking speeds.

Quote:
..In fact yesterday I was easily zigzagging across a busy city street in my XUV and realized that a Fortuner in front of me was really struggling to even get around...
Vehicle size, ladder frame Vs monocoque body type etc play major roles in maneuvering than steering set up here. From what I have read, Fortuner steering is NOT heavy.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 3rd January 2013 at 14:35.
Old 4th January 2013, 14:25   #3858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
However, somehow I always prefer Hydraulic one compared to electronic since electronic may have show strange behavior during failures and can be dangerous sometimes!
Quote:
I dont think Linea has a EPS. However it has a rock solid stability to it. It can get a bit difficult with linea to turn zig zag in a city drive. I realize that XUV steering is more condusive to a zippy city drive. Infact few days ago I wad driving the i10 and thought that XUV steering is much similar to it - providing a nice zippy city drive but a little unerving at high speeds.

In fact yesterday I was easily zigzagging across a busy city street in my XUV and realized that a Fortuner in front of me was really struggling to even get around.

So I guess its a tradeoff which designers have to make.

I had been using the Honda city for 8yrs and never had an issue with the EPS ever failing. Ketan, any incidents you know of such failures, in any particular models that use EPS.

Infact, I actually realised the difference of having a power steering once when I tried moving the car on a slope without the power switched on. The steering was like a rock. The moment I switched on the battery the steering became damn light. I would say, I really loved EPS for providing a really strain-less drive to ones arms and wrists. And parking, I have to admit was always a breeze with City due to this.

FundaG
Old 4th January 2013, 16:51   #3859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had been using the Honda city for 8yrs and never had an issue with the EPS ever failing. Ketan, any incidents you know of such failures, in any particular models that use EPS.

FundaG
Sorry buddy, my comment was purely based on my limited experience and little or no knowledge of PS . I guess I have read some post/thread about the EPS failures especially if happens at high speed and consequences of that. I haven't driven cars with EPS so no practical idea about it so far. I have driven Fiat Palio before this and that had a very good HPS.
I just read that EPS has got few advantages over HPS, it uses an electric motor while HPS would need a pump driven by the engine. So, it (HPS) has got a minute impact on your FE as well.
I read that the motors and equipment used these days in EPS are of high quality and not prone so it seems its a good option for vehicles. However, heavy/big vehicles have not yet started using EPS since it has to move considerable amount of load while moving the wheels it seems.
Linea has HPS and is one of the best HPS setups you have in the market. While I also read that Palio/Punto has a good HPS compared to some other brands so this could be a factor when you feel XUV HPS not satisfactory.

I also read about hybrid system - Electro-Hydraulic power steering (EHPS) where the hydraulic pressure is generated by motor and it reduces the engine load by drive belt. However, in the XUV manual, I read 'hydraulic' only and no more details whether it uses any advanced version of it or not.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 16:56   #3860
BHPian

Quote:
However, in the XUV manual, I read 'hydraulic' only and no more details whether it uses any advanced version of it or not.
In XUV, it is preferable to have HPS instead of EPS considering the list of niggles and the surprising way they turn up. As you had mentioned, if the EPS failed by any chance it would be dangerous and with XUV it might turn out to be one more worry for its drivers.

FundaG
Old 5th January 2013, 13:52   #3861
BANNED

Quote:

Sorry buddy, my comment was purely based on my limited experience and little or no knowledge of PS . I guess I have read some post/thread about the EPS failures especially if happens at high speed and consequences of that. I haven't driven cars with EPS so no practical idea about it so far. I have driven Fiat Palio before this and that had a very good HPS.
I just read that EPS has got few advantages over HPS, it uses an electric motor while HPS would need a pump driven by the engine. So, it (HPS) has got a minute impact on your FE as well.
I read that the motors and equipment used these days in EPS are of high quality and not prone so it seems its a good option for vehicles. However, heavy/big vehicles have not yet started using EPS since it has to move considerable amount of load while moving the wheels it seems.
Linea has HPS and is one of the best HPS setups you have in the market. While I also read that Palio/Punto has a good HPS compared to some other brands so this could be a factor when you feel XUV HPS not satisfactory.

I also read about hybrid system - Electro-Hydraulic power steering (EHPS) where the hydraulic pressure is generated by motor and it reduces the engine load by drive belt. However, in the XUV manual, I read 'hydraulic' only and no more details whether it uses any advanced version of it or not.
Mahindra Verito has EHPS...
XUV500 uses HPS
Old 5th January 2013, 16:23   #3862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As you had mentioned, if the EPS failed by any chance it would be dangerous and with XUV it might turn out to be one more worry for its drivers.

FundaG
If the power steering fails, it just becomes hard and requires more effort. I don't think it will result in dangerous consequences. It is not like a 'fly by wire' kind of arrangement.

Last edited by Guna : 5th January 2013 at 16:26.
Old 5th January 2013, 19:01   #3863
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
If the power steering fails, it just becomes hard and requires more effort. I don't think it will result in dangerous consequences. It is not like a 'fly by wire' kind of arrangement.
Sorry, have to disagree. Moderator zappo has faced this in his XUV5OO. IIRC, its was a nightmare to maneuver the vehicle when the PS failed.

God forbid, if something like this happens when the vehicle is in motion and doing decent speed, the situation is outright dangerous.
Old 6th January 2013, 00:30   #3864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Sorry, have to disagree. Moderator zappo has faced this in his XUV5OO. IIRC, its was a nightmare to maneuver the vehicle when the PS failed.

God forbid, if something like this happens when the vehicle is in motion and doing decent speed, the situation is outright dangerous.
I went through Zappo's post on the PS failure, and like I mentioned the steering became very hard, especially because this happened on a steep incline/sharp turn (and hence crawling speed). If this happens while doing high speed, I am sure it wont make much difference. In fact many the PS systems provide variable assistance (very little assistance at higher speeds) and some even cut of the power assistance after certain speed.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2013, 13:16   #3865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I went through Zappo's post on the PS failure, and like I mentioned the steering became very hard, especially because this happened on a steep incline/sharp turn (and hence crawling speed). If this happens while doing high speed, I am sure it wont make much difference. In fact many the PS systems provide variable assistance (very little assistance at higher speeds) and some even cut of the power assistance after certain speed.
You don't want your PS to fail during high speed. Steering, tires, breaks are some of the parts that may have dangerous consequences. HPS would still give you some time and symptoms before the complete failure (if its due to leakage or other drive mechanism issues). However, EPS have higher probabilities of sudden failures, that's the point why I said I'd prefer HPS/EHPS. However, like I said, there are hardly cases where EPS failed and its known to provide better feedback so its preferred. I read EPS is completely cut off during high speeds but its part of PS assistance and cant be related to failure. be it EPS or HPS, failure of such critical part at high speeds or high gradient driving conditions can be dangerous. At least I wouldn't want that to happen to anyone.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2013, 17:14   #3866
BHPian

One question out of curiosity. Sorry for being OT.

Where do you keep your right foot when the Cruise Control is engaged? I'm a little scared that if I take away the right foot from accelerator and place it on further right, I may not be able to reach the brake pedal in case of emergency.
Old 7th January 2013, 17:20   #3867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells View Post
One question out of curiosity. Sorry for being OT.

Where do you keep your right foot when the Cruise Control is engaged? I'm a little scared that if I take away the right foot from accelerator and place it on further right, I may not be able to reach the brake pedal in case of emergency.
I drive with a position which where the heel is exactly in front of the brake pedal while the toes press the accelerator at an angle. With cruise control on the foot is effectively in front of the brake pedal for immediate response (though it is easier to tap the clutch with the left foot to disengage). Even though I use the cruise control on long streaches, but to be honest I have never felt comfortable with this gizmo because of its ability to maintain speed despite of varying terrain. It somehow gives a feel that I am not in control of the vehicle.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2013, 19:48   #3868
BHPian

The Big Cat comes Home.
Just a few pics of the delivery.
More in a day or two.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-small-151.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-small-152.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-small-154.jpg  

Heavy Horse is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2013, 20:21   #3869
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
The Big Cat comes Home.
More in a day or two.
Let me be the first one to congratulate you! Irrespective of how many XUVs I see, a new one always makes my head turn and take notice. Looks beautiful.

Please do start a ownership thread and share your experiences.

Wish you many happy miles with your XUV! Congratulations once again!
Old 7th January 2013, 21:04   #3870
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
The Big Cat comes Home.
More in a day or two.
The wide grin on your face says it all!! Congrats on your new car & wish you miles of happy & safe motoring!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks