Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2013, 20:18   #4051
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
All those , including me, that are complaining of a hard suspension may like to take cognisance of the following quote :
"SUVs are designed for carrying heavier loads than passenger cars. Their suspensions are built to accommodate the heavier weight. That includes heavier springs and tighter shocks. In light load situations the suspension is not working and ride is rougher. An SUV that is loaded a bit will ride better than one with just few passengers." The above quote is from the link http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3195944AAMTV95

Makes sense to me. It's usually me and my wife that ride, but whenever I've had a full house, the suspension seemed much better. Comments welcome.
Thats absolutely correct sir. Even i feel the same when i have atleast 4 people in my XUV. 99.9% of the time i drive alone. But whenever i have friends in my XUV, i feel ride getting better.
Old 15th February 2013, 22:16   #4052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
Uploading an image from my mobile clicked this evening of my XUV enjoying wilderness
That's a fantastic pic and fantastic colour. I thought that colour was still experimental and not out in the market as yet, Arctic Blue they call it I think.
Old 15th February 2013, 22:38   #4053
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Uploading an image from my mobile clicked this evening of my XUV enjoying wilderness
Nice pic Rohit!

Quote:
That's a fantastic pic and fantastic colour. I thought that colour was still experimental and not out in the market as yet, Arctic Blue they call it I think.
Rohit's is one of the first XUVs on the forum. The color is Grey, I believe. Its the light which is playing tricks.
Old 15th February 2013, 23:17   #4054
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post

Nice pic Rohit!

Rohit's is one of the first XUVs on the forum. The color is Grey, I believe. Its the light which is playing tricks.
Yea it's not the new color @Heavy Horse it's dolphin grey. I have not seen the pic on a bigger screen yet, may be the light played the trick.
Thanks SDP for liking. I have checked real time fuel consumption during this trip (using the OBD port) it's averaging around 12.7 KM/L. The best efficiency I am getting is around 95-100 KM/h speed in 6th gear around 1900 RPM. It moves in the range of 13.6-14.2 KM/Ltrs ( cruse control). It will change according to the load, in my case it 2 adults and 2 kids ( 5&2 year old) and one seat down luggage.

Last edited by rohitbagai : 15th February 2013 at 23:43.
rohitbagai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2013, 23:35   #4055
BHPian

A Day Trip from Manipal to Gokarna and back

Nice and enjoyable, and luckily not too hot even around noon. You can check out the pics in the travelogue section at this link http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post3043803

With regard to the performance of the car, as I have been saying, it’s functioning as promised. Just want to highlight areas which enthused me:

1.Auto Wiper: I think reading the XUV niggles thread has made all of us suffer from the “Niggles Phobia”, which basically means we don’t have the confidence on the reliability of the vehicle. Anything can fail at anytime!! With that at the back of my mind, in these sunny days of winter, I never even tried out the wipers. Yesterday, due to some freak weather there was a slight drizzle in the evening when we were out and I had no option but to switch them on, and lo and behold they worked perfectly. Since more rain was predicted today, with confidence now bolstered, I read the manual on how to get the auto wiper working. As we were driving out at 6.30 am, a slow drizzle started. I put the wiper on auto, and sure enough, it got to work. For about an hour it rained on and off, mainly light rain, but with a couple of heavy spells as well. The wiper speed reacted to the speed of rain….. no complaints.

2. Map My India: Initially I was struggling to come to terms with it. I called MMI call centre the other day, and clarified some of my doubts. Since then I have become much more confident now. They gave me a couple of nice tips. I got into trouble trying to enter “City Centre Mall” as a street address, in Mangalore town. The guy said that Malls etc should be entered as POIs. Secondly, if you can’t find a town, try entering the district first. Interestingly, they don’t consider Manipal as a separate town, but as a locality of Udupi town. Hence if you enter Udupi district first, then Manipal, it works. Today’s setting was perfect, to Gokarna and back, no issues with MMI.

3. Kitna Deti Hai: 14.3 kmpl for a round trip of 378 kms, consuming 26.41 litres on a full tank basis. This is the highest I’ve got but the disparity with DIS was huge. DIS indicated 15. 8 !!!
Anyway the disappointment was made up by my new RM. I’m sure she has all the answers !!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-12a.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th February 2013 at 17:00. Reason: Adding some paragraph breaks for readability ;)
Heavy Horse is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2013, 23:51   #4056
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
3. Kitna Deti Hai: 14.3 kmpl for a round trip of 378 kms, consuming 26.41 litres on a full tank basis. This is the highest I’ve got but the disparity with DIS was huge. DIS indicated 15. 8 !!!
Anyway the disappointment was made up by my new RM. I’m sure she has all the answers !!
I think a 1-2 kmpl difference is accepted mostly with respect to DIS. As far as I know there are few brands in which, it is almost correct; rest need to do away with the slight tolerance.

Last edited by moralfibre : 18th February 2013 at 20:10. Reason: Edited attachments in original post.
Old 18th February 2013, 08:44   #4057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I think a 1-2 kmpl difference is accepted mostly with respect to DIS. As far as I know there are few brands in which, it is almost correct; rest need to do away with the slight tolerance.
You're right, the DIS is usually off, but it nevertheless raises your expectations.

Last edited by moralfibre : 18th February 2013 at 20:11. Reason: Edited attachment
Heavy Horse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 12:36   #4058
BHPian

Guys,

Anyone here had their Bluetooth mic made better after a servicing? I've gotten complaints where people cannot hear me clearly when I am using the Bluetooth wireless speakers and was wondering if Mahindra had rectified it.

Any suggestions? It's a pain in the bu*t to keep screaming on a call!!
Old 18th February 2013, 12:50   #4059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevester View Post
Guys,

Anyone here had their Bluetooth mic made better after a servicing? I've gotten complaints where people cannot hear me clearly when I am using the Bluetooth wireless speakers and was wondering if Mahindra had rectified it.

Sorry to hear that the mike is not great. Mine is a 2013 manufactured one, and the other person is able to hear my voice loud and clear. However the passenger has to speak out loud, to be heard on the other side.

Did you check with other phones and is it same ? Also did you check the signal strength on your phone while making the call ?
Old 18th February 2013, 13:45   #4060
BHPian

Some snaps of my Cheetah during the Goa trip
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-dsc_0004.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-dsc_0005.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-dsc_0006.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-dsc_0022.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-dsc_0519_a.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-dsc_0447.jpg  

fundagenie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 13:53   #4061
Senior - BHPian

Dark Colors in XUV 5oo are looking like a Wild Beast.
I love Black, purple and earlier Green.

fundagenie - Photos have come out nicely.
Old 18th February 2013, 15:43   #4062
BHPian

Quote:
Well my XUV is August 2011 mfg. unit and I have driven it 30000 KM. I use all the 'features' on daily basis (except the voice control). Each one of them work as intended and I have never faced any issues with them. Dont know what the fuss is all about.
The new break pads are perfect and there is no sound while applying them.
There may be some loose ends here and there but that does not hamper the overall ownership exp. The support that we get from Mahindras and their dealership is unmatched if I compare it with what Maruti, Hyundai, Toyota, Chevy, Ford provide.
For me its good to stick with a product that sells volumes and may be few niggles, rather than a product that sells 1/10th of it with patchy after sales support.
I second Rohit, my XUV from Nov 2011, is now nearing 30k as well, although being the initial lot and a very picky customer (which I feel most BHPians are) I have experienced a number of issues, that I had highlighted in this thread. But, as other XUV owners have also mentioned here, Mahindra ASS has been more than receptive and willing to make sure you are satisfied. Sure there are instances where your RM doesn't know what he is talking about, or the technician is baffled with something gone wrong with one of the gizmos, but you just need to know how to escalate the complaint and I can assure you that it will be taken care of.

I also own the cars from Ford, Maruti, Hyundai, and I can assure you that M&M is better than each by a mile!

In my ownership so far, I regard it as one of the better cars that I have come across.

Also, I am very happy to report that in my daily commute of around 80km round trip, which involves peak traffic driving from North Delhi to Gurgaon (crossing through the entire Delhi), I am now over last three tank fulls getting a mileage of 14kmpl (mostly without AC, but with a heater fan due to the pleasant climate). Thus I believe XUV is also the most frugal 7 seater SUV.

Also an update I did a day trip to Agra with wifey on Saturday and was under strict instructions to mind my speed, but at a point she asked me why is the car beeping (150kmph beep) when she felt we were may be doing 80. Also I did the majority of the expressway by using Cruise Control. Does anyone know what is the upper speed limit that the cruise control holds, I got 160. I also managed to take the car north of 185kmph, by my speedo

Last edited by AGwagon : 18th February 2013 at 16:01. Reason: missed a few things
AGwagon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 16:01   #4063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevester View Post
Guys,

Do you have a Sony Xperia?
Old 18th February 2013, 16:14   #4064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
Sorry to hear that the mike is not great. Mine is a 2013 manufactured one, and the other person is able to hear my voice loud and clear. However the passenger has to speak out loud, to be heard on the other side.

Did you check with other phones and is it same ? Also did you check the signal strength on your phone while making the call ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells View Post
Do you have a Sony Xperia?
It's the same on both a Galaxy S II and a Nexus 4. At both times, the signal was full bars.

Mine is from the third batch (the one after the lucky draw). Anyone else facing this/found a fix?!
Old 18th February 2013, 22:12   #4065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post

Also an update I did a day trip to Agra with wifey on Saturday and was under strict instructions to mind my speed, but at a point she asked me why is the car beeping (150kmph beep) when she felt we were may be doing 80. Also I did the majority of the expressway by using Cruise Control. Does anyone know what is the upper speed limit that the cruise control holds, I got 160. I also managed to take the car north of 185kmph, by my speedo
The speedo usually has a lot of error and this error is magnified at speeds above 80Kmph.
Always use the built in GPS to determine your real speed. It is much more accurate than the speedo.
To read the speed, goto the MMI navigation and click on the GPS (green) signal (it is at the bottom of the screen in the centre). This will show you the number of satellites being used, longitude & latitude, speed, altitude etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks