Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2013, 17:53   #4216
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Its been just six months that I shifted from the other big Indian manufacturer to Toyota. Chances of problem occurring in Innova are remote, but even so they have provided exemplary support for a vehicle running in top shape.

But we are looking to add another SUV/MUV to our garage.
6 Months means you are still in your honeymoon period, enjoy your whip Buddie.

So it appears that you are just speculating on the ownership experience of XUV without jumping into it. I would not buy the reasoning and thoughts as well
Old 21st March 2013, 18:31   #4217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
Now to come to topic, As most XUV owners would have noticed that there are 2 dead buttons on the cabin light unit in the front, which I keep on thinking were meant for sunroof, which never got installed. Any ideas? and is anyone doing the retrofit of quality sunroofs for XUV?
You probably missed this superb pictorial new thread on retro-fit Sunroof.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...pictorial.html

It seems to be in Noida, near about you and you could inquire there. I am sure Webasto would have solution to your need.
Old 21st March 2013, 18:36   #4218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
You probably missed this superb pictorial new thread on retro-fit Sunroof.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...pictorial.html

It seems to be in Noida, near about you and you could inquire there. I am sure Webasto would have solution to your need.

Parsh, I did read that and that is thread that reminded me once again. I am just looking for a quick answer if anyone has already done the leg work on this. Thanks anyway.
Old 21st March 2013, 18:41   #4219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Parsh, I did read that and that is thread that reminded me once again. I am just looking for a quick answer if anyone has already done the leg work on this. Thanks anyway.
Sorry mate. I thought you missed it as there was no mention in your post. I guess, it would do good to visit them directly, check the retrofit sunroof designs and discuss with them on the feasibility and actuality. You could be the pioneer for the same. XUV500 community will bless you for that

I had to do similar legwork for my Innova's a/c blower retrofit with not much knowledge available around.
Old 21st March 2013, 19:17   #4220
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
So, will I recommend the XUV over the Innova, Aria and Storme? Certainly.
I do not understand why you would like to do this.

When you recommend a XUV over Innova/Aria/Storme, there is an implicit assumption that you understand the needs and value-system of ALL prospective buyers and it matches with yours. Each one has different needs and values things like VFM, peace of mind & build-quality differently.

Quote:
... And after sighting him the pros and cons of both I just left him to decide. So lets leave the power of deducing to a conclusion to anyone who reads this.
Bingo! This is precisely how my approach has been. Offer data-points and insights and leave the decision to the other person.

Some people would try to offload the decision-taking to you. Its an attempt to have someone to blame if the decision is wrong . I would dislike it if a friend comes to me and says "what man! You recommended the XUV, I got it and now it pulls to the left all the time."

That's why I stay away from recommendations. The information about niggles is there in the niggles thread. Its upto an individual to go through those 100 odd pages on the niggles thread and track the ownership threads by current owners and then take a decision about whether they want to consider the XUV or not. I also understand that not everybody is willing to invest so much of time in the informed decision and some would rather just look at the number of pages of the niggles thread OR look at an inspiring ownership thread like Debuda's and take a split-second decision. Either ways is OK. Finally its YOUR money and YOUR decision!

Last edited by SDP : 21st March 2013 at 19:22.
SDP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 20:27   #4221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
I do not understand why you would like to do this.

When you recommend a XUV over Innova/Aria/Storme, there is an implicit assumption that you understand the needs and value-system of ALL prospective buyers and it matches with yours. Each one has different needs and values things like VFM, peace of mind & build-quality differently.
When I said I would recommend an XUV, I meant I would recommend the car to someone who has similar needs. I would, of course not recommend the XUV to a person who owns a tea plantation in Munnar and needs his vehicle to carry him through the slushy uphill.
raj_5004 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2013, 15:06   #4222
BHPian

On the issue of GC, I have got a response from M&M.

1. The GC is 200mm as per the European definition , which measures the distance from the centre of the front axle to the ground level.
2. Please note that GC is not a certified value, and there is no uniformity in how it is measured and defined.
3. My sense is that here most manufacturers are using the European definition, at least in the SUV category, since Duster at 205, Safari Storme at 200, Innova at 176, and Fortuner at 220 all seem in the same range, and correlates well with our visual observation.
Heavy Horse is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2013, 18:42   #4223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
On the issue of GC, I have got a response from M&M.

The GC is 200mm as per the European definition , which measures the distance from the centre of the front axle to the ground level.
I am unable to understand this definition. What is meant by "centre of the front axle"? The XUV, like most modern cars, doesn't have a solid axle joining both the front wheels. Being FWD, it has what is known as a 'transaxle'. There are two separate 'drive axles' (splined shafts with CV joints), one for each front wheel.

Measuring GC from the lowest point of the front suspension would be more logical, IMHO.
debuda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2013, 12:32   #4224
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Since I dont have an exclusive thread...posting here. Hope thats ok with the mods. My W8 has done approx 5.5k kms and has absolutely no niggles. Its just finished its first service. Its back yest. from the part replacement drive where wiper assembly, power window motors and hose were replaced. Its an absolutely brilliant vehicle, especially on the highway. Here's a pic:
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-20130310_121013.jpg  

NIP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2013, 18:01   #4225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Since I dont have an exclusive thread...posting here. Hope thats ok with the mods. My W8 has done approx 5.5k kms and has absolutely no niggles. Its just finished its first service. Its back yest. from the part replacement drive where wiper assembly, power window motors and hose were replaced. Its an absolutely brilliant vehicle, especially on the highway. Here's a pic:
Hi NIP good to hear about your fabulous experience. When did you get delivery and which month was your vehicle manufactured?

The reason I ask, is that it seems to me that the retrofit that is being done, is on vehicles delivered till June 2012. If your's is June delivery then you've used your XUV rather sparingly. I received mine on Jan 7, 2013 and I've already crossed 4.5 K. Going for first service on March 26.
Old 25th March 2013, 10:30   #4226
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
Hi NIP good to hear about your fabulous experience. When did you get delivery and which month was your vehicle manufactured? ....
Thanks SDP. My Vehicle was delivered on 1st Aug '12. And yes, my vehicle has not run much. My daily drive is a '04 Scorpio DX .
Old 25th March 2013, 10:41   #4227
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks SDP. My Vehicle was delivered on 1st Aug '12. And yes, my vehicle has not run much. My daily drive is a '04 Scorpio DX .
Hey NIP,

You seem to have done some mods to the front of your XUV. They seem to have had a good effect on the frontal looks of the XUV. Could you please share some pics? pardon me if you shared them already ( could you share the link?).

Naut
Old 25th March 2013, 10:46   #4228
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naut View Post
Hey NIP,

You seem to have done some mods to the front of your XUV...
Yes I've got a 'carbon fiber' effect on the front grill, 'whiskers' and the ORVM housing. It has toned down the garish looks upfront and believe me, looks superb! I have posted about it here.
NIP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 17:59   #4229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here's my XUV5OO. Got it on the 1st of Aug. Its called 'Wanderlust'. Got a carbon fibre effect for the grill and bumper 'whisker' done from 3M and looks killer. Going to do the ORVM casing also.
Looks great, what is the meterial used and what is the durability
Old 25th March 2013, 19:46   #4230
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Looks great, what is the meterial used and what is the durability
Was done at 3M using their material. Durability I really cant say...so far its good.
NIP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks