Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2013, 13:09   #4441
BHPian

Visited the SS yesterday and got the following done:

1.Installation of MMI Version 8

I was under the impression that they would upload the new MMI Sw. But they changed the entire display unit and gave me back my old one. As expected the favourites had to be redone, but with the few hours of experience I have on the Version 8, it looks cleaner, more street level details, and perceptibly faster. Obviously I have to use it a lot more to give a definitive opinion, but initial impression is good. And yes, it recorded the SS address as a destination, which earlier I could not do and had to settle for the road name and save it as a favourite.

2.Installation of Tripmeter 4th digit

This was no issue, and was done through a s/w patch that M&M have provided. There’s no way to verify since the 4th digit pops up only when you hit 1000.

VP Customer Care M&M requested me to put up a link regarding this on Team BHP, so as soon as I get it, will do the needful.

3.Enabling reverse horn

This drew a complete blank from the SA. He wanted to know if I wanted to install a new musical horn etc. I explained to him that the same hooter already installed for security alarm can be used for that purpose but he remained skeptical. I showed him our discussions on Team BHP on my laptop and he said he would check with Technical and get back to me. I just spoke with the ASM of M&M at Bangalore and he was aware of this. I requested him to convey this to the SA and how it can be done. So next visit I will get this done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Just checked. My MAP and BT S/W Version are not the latest.
SDP how do you get that screen that shows the sw versions that are installed?

Last edited by Eddy : 8th June 2013 at 00:12. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread. Thanks.
Heavy Horse is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 13:32   #4442
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
SDP how do you get that screen that shows the sw versions that are installed?
Press the Mute and Seek(>>) buttons together for a couple of seconds.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 13:37   #4443
BHPian

Quote:
Visited the SS yesterday and got the following done:

1.Installation of MMI Version 8

I was under the impression that they would upload the new MMI Sw. But they changed the entire display unit and gave me back my old one.
You mean to say that they changed your entire Head Unit? Was this done as a free upgrade or because you requested them to, and thus had to pay for it?
Old 7th June 2013, 14:21   #4444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevester View Post
You mean to say that they changed your entire Head Unit? Was this done as a free upgrade or because you requested them to, and thus had to pay for it?

Reev I am not sure what you mean by "entire head unit". When they say the display unit, these SS guys mean your LCD touchscreen. THE LCD is part of a rectangular box type attachment that they fix from the back and comes from Nippon. This includes the DIS, Music, MMI and all other functionalities that can be operated through the touchscreen and the console buttons. Trust I have been able to explain clearly.

How this change took place was this:
1. I had read on this forum that when we buy the XUV W8, we are to be provided 4 FREE upgrades from MMI.
2. But there was no clarity, so I wrote to Customer Care.
3. They did'nt respond for a week so I sent them a reminder.
4. The next day I got a mail from MMI saying that Version 8 is available, but M&M have to take a decision and MMI is not sure why M&M is not announcing to it's customers.
5. But MMI said in my case they were willing to have it installed FREE and requested for my SS address.
6. MMI instructed Nippon to have the unit forwarded and installed at my SS. That got done yesterday.
Heavy Horse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 14:27   #4445
BHPian

Quote:

Reev I am not sure what you mean by "entire head unit". When they say the display unit, these SS guys mean your LCD touchscreen. THE LCD is part of a rectangular box type attachment that they fix from the back and comes from Nippon. This includes the DIS, Music, MMI and all other functionalities that can be operated through the touchscreen and the console buttons. Trust I have been able to explain clearly.

1. I had read on this forum that when we buy the XUV W8, we are to be provided 4 FREE upgrades from MMI.
4. The next day I got a mail from MMI saying that Version 8 is available, but M&M have to take a decision and MMI is not sure why M&M is not announcing to it's customers.
5. But MMI said in my case they were willing to have it installed FREE and requested for my SS address.
6. MMI instructed Nippon to have the unit forwarded and installed at my SS. That got done yesterday.
Perfect, I meant the MMI itself. Compulsive custom audio setup tinkerers will always refer to the the main audio system as the head unit! hehe

So according to what you are saying, we are eligible for a free upgrade from MMI? Or is it for vehicles purchased within a specific time frame or region?

to whom at MMI did you send the email? I would like to get this done as well!
Old 7th June 2013, 17:34   #4446
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
One more thing SDP. Thinking about your comment last night made me realise that I should write to Sanjoy Gupta and tell him that while they are making steady improvements, but these are not being communicated to customers, which can very easily be done via emails etc.
I have done this a couple of times. Lots was discussed. Would talk about it in person if we bump into each other at a meet or something.

Quote:
...1.Installation of MMI Version 8

I was under the impression that they would upload the new MMI Sw. But they changed the entire display unit and gave me back my old one. ....
This is intriguing. Why would anyone change the hardware for a software change?

Quote:

This was no issue, and was done through a s/w patch that M&M have provided. There’s no way to verify since the 4th digit pops up only when you hit 1000.

VP Customer Care M&M requested me to put up a link regarding this on Team BHP, so as soon as I get it, will do the needful.
Not sure why the VP-CustomerCare wants his department's job of customer-communication outsourced to Team-BHPians.

Customer-care should be communicating this via SMS+email+snail-mail+FB-page+website to all customers. Assuming that all XUV owners are active on Team-BHP is preposterous.

Quote:
3.Enabling reverse horn

This drew a complete blank from the SA. He wanted to know if I wanted to install a new musical horn etc. I explained to him that the same hooter already installed for security alarm can be used for that purpose but he remained skeptical. I showed him our discussions on Team BHP on my laptop and he said he would check with Technical and get back to me. I just spoke with the ASM of M&M at Bangalore and he was aware of this. I requested him to convey this to the SA and how it can be done. So next visit I will get this done.
Enabling reverse-horn - This is one of the oldest things that M&M service centers have been doing from Nov-Dec'2011! Surprised that your SA didn't had a clue. G3 Motors?

Quote:
Did not understand how MMI as an organization directly got into this loop. The way I look at it, XUV-owners like you and me are not direct customers of MMI at all. We bought the XUV and it came with Nippon which had MMI loaded in it. Ideally a XUV-owner should communicate with M&M, M&M with Nippon and Nippon with MMI. This whole replacement incident is thoroughly intriguing.

Also, the comment about "M&M have to take a decision and MMI is not sure why M&M is not announcing to it's customers" is very interesting.

Last edited by SDP : 7th June 2013 at 17:37.
Old 7th June 2013, 19:47   #4447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevester View Post
to whom at MMI did you send the email? I would like to get this done as well!
I wrote to M&M customer care. They'll organise it for you via MMI / Nippon. Just quote your Customer ID. Good luck.
Old 7th June 2013, 20:12   #4448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post

This is intriguing. Why would anyone change the hardware for a software change?
This spooked me as well. My guess is that in the present production line they are providing MMI 8 in the display unit, and they hav'nt developed the software to upgrade in the XUV displays. They certainly must have in the units they sell directly to customers themselves.

Quote:
Not sure why the VP-CustomerCare wants his department's job of customer-communication outsourced to Team-BHPians.

Customer-care should be communicating this via SMS+email+snail-mail+FB-page+website to all customers. Assuming that all XUV owners are active on Team-BHP is preposterous.
Very true. The whole idea of my communication to M&M was to alert them that they should be communicating all this stuff to customers pro-actively. Obviously this had'nt struck them. I presume they will do it on all their other forums. Since they don't have anybody on Team BHP they asked me to help them out. And why not....I'm glad to help anybody that I can

Quote:
Enabling reverse-horn - This is one of the oldest things that M&M service centers have been doing from Nov-Dec'2011! Surprised that your SA didn't had a clue. G3 Motors?
I was plenty surprised myself, believe you me !! This is not G3. Remember I'm in Manipal so I go to Karnataka Agencies, Mangalore, who are a good bunch of guys, but being somewhat in the hinterland, I suspect most of their customers are not that demanding.

Quote:
Did not understand how MMI as an organization directly got into this loop. The way I look at it, XUV-owners like you and me are not direct customers of MMI at all. We bought the XUV and it came with Nippon which had MMI loaded in it. Ideally a XUV-owner should communicate with M&M, M&M with Nippon and Nippon with MMI. This whole replacement incident is thoroughly intriguing.
The whole communication started with M&M. They asked their vendors to touch base with me, which is fine. Obviously the overarching responsibility is with M&M, which everybody understands.And everybody was copying customer care so they knew everything that was happening. With emails this is fine since it cuts across unnecessary hierarchy. In fact the Bangalore ASM called me to check if everything was OK.

Also, the comment about "M&M have to take a decision and MMI is not sure why M&M is not announcing to it's customers" is very interesting.

It is interesting. I suspect it's gotta do with costs etc, if you know what I mean

Mod Note : Please do NOT reply to posts using bold text within a quoted post, as it leads to visual discomfort for readers. Additionally, it's inconvenient to quote & reply to such a post.

For the correct way to quote, please see this thread.

Thanks!

Last edited by moralfibre : 9th June 2013 at 06:40.
Heavy Horse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 22:12   #4449
Senior - BHPian

Hello fellow XUVians,

My car is in the A.S.S. now. They assured me that they will flash the latest software to the infotainment system. From the above posts, I now know that I have to press Mute and Seek (>>) buttons together, but can someone tell me which is the latest available software number now? Is it 04.04.00?

Also, I have a small query regarding the functioning of the infotainment system itself... When the radio/screen is OFF and when I make changes to the climate control (temperature or fan speed), there is no indication whatsoever on the display. Hence, I am not aware of what temperature or fan speed I am setting. The only solution is to switch on the display/radio and then change the ACC. Is this normal or will this be solved with the upgrade? Or is there a separate provision to change the info on the display (which I may have missed)?

Last edited by raj_5004 : 7th June 2013 at 22:19.
Old 7th June 2013, 22:21   #4450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
I haven't even become a member of the 'Purple Club'. I was told that it's no longer available for XUV and only for Rexton. And I don't have a RM either.
surprising. I bought my xuv in may and just today afternoon I've got my purple club card and vouchers! Where did you get this information from?
aajohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2013, 01:20   #4451
BHPian

I recently completed a 25-day, 6,576 km drive from Jamshedpur to Ladakh and back. A technical report on that expedition is here.

I shall also share a picture-travelogue soon.
debuda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2013, 07:07   #4452
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Also, I have a small query regarding the functioning of the infotainment system itself... When the radio/screen is OFF and when I make changes to the climate control (temperature or fan speed), there is no indication whatsoever on the display. Hence, I am not aware of what temperature or fan speed I am setting. The only solution is to switch on the display/radio and then change the ACC. Is this normal or will this be solved with the upgrade? Or is there a separate provision to change the info on the display (which I may have missed)?
This is normal and expected. With the infotainment system turned off, the ACC would have no place to indicate its status. I know some of the cars do have a separate small screen just for the ACC status, showing temp., fan-speed and mode etc, but no XUV does not have that.
A alternate solution if you insist on keeping the main display off is to install the XUV and Bluesense bluetooth apps which would show the ACC status on your mobile screen. Sorry, let me take that back. Even for the blutetooth to work, infortainment system needs to be ON.

Last edited by SDP : 8th June 2013 at 07:09.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2013, 12:59   #4453
BHPian

Map My India Version 8.0 vs 7.1

This is what I could cull out from the net.
10.33 million points of interest vs 7.1 million
1.9 million road km across 6 lakh villages, which is same in both.
4787 vs 4751 cities covered at street level
50 vs 39 cities with house level details
46 vs 36 cities with 3D models

“Besides this, version 8.0 also offers various navigation and driver assistance features like live traffic information and visual cues like extended lane guidance, junction views, signposts, city guides, regional voice guidance in 10 regional languages and regional maps in four local languages.

Extended Lane guidance alerts users the lane they should choose prior to a turn or an exit while Junction views offers a sneak peek at upcoming intersections and Sign posts provides information on the major landmarks, localities and cities that come during the journey. It also offers day time based turn restrictions which offers information on time-based turn restrictions and whether a particular road is a one-way or a two-way.”

Source: http://www.medianama.com/2013/04/223...dia-v8-0-maps/
Heavy Horse is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2013, 13:27   #4454
BHPian

Quote:
Map My India Version 8.0 vs 7.1

“Besides this, version 8.0 also offers various navigation and driver assistance features like live traffic information and visual cues like extended lane guidance, junction views.../[/url]
Was sitting in a jam yesterday and was wishing for live traffic information to be part of mmi! are they proactively upgrading the software or do we need to specifically ask for it?
Old 8th June 2013, 13:39   #4455
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post
Was sitting in a jam yesterday and was wishing for live traffic information to be part of mmi! are they proactively upgrading the software or do we need to specifically ask for it?
Proactive and M&M? Nah!
Even with the siren that falls off, gets entangled in the belt and brings down the vehicle, M&M is waiting for the thousands of XUVs sold till date to fail and the owners to get stranded by the road-side rather than issue a 'proactive' recall.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks