Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2013, 13:08   #4486
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post

On a serious note, all the engines are made the same way isn't it ? How does the FE vary so much. Is it something to do with the run-in period run. I seldom took it beyond 90kmph during the trial-in, no hard acceleration, no hard deceleration et all.

@HeavyHorse, what was your driving style during the run-in period. The FE that you are getting is quite healthy.

I was getting a fairly OK mileage of 10-11 city and 14-15kmpl highway before my 2nd service. Based on DIS as well as TF2TF method. Post the 2nd service, for the last few months, the mileage has dropped to 9-9.5 city and for the one highway trip the best I got was 11.5kmpl - based on DIS alone. Had raised it with the RM the last time I went to the service centre and he got the air filter cleaned.

Below are my drive and driving pattern, before and after 2nd service
1. My regular driving distance to office and back is 3-5kms. Due to the road conditions and traffic I mainly use 2-3 gears and occasionally 4th gear .

3. Do a 30-40km trip atleast once a week to ofcourse enjoy driving the beast. Most of this trips would be done in the later part of the evening when the traffic was comparatively less, meaning I could hit speeds of 100-120kms and drive in 4-5-6 gears for long distances.

2. During the initial 4-5 months (would mean before 2nd service), used to go for full tank fill up. However, for the last few months, I usually put 500Rs of diesel on a weekly or bi-weekly basis and also reset the DIS every time I filled up, which meant the mileage would go back to 9kmpl and had to climb up. By the time it climbed to 9.3 or 9.4, it would be time for the next fill up. Had put 1000Rs of diesel for the last 2 times and did not reset the DIS. Its showing 9.8-9.9kmpl right now. Not sure if this is because of the air filter cleaning. Also have not done any highway trip to see if there surely a change.
So the question is - does putting more amount of fuel so fill-up duration is more and not resetting the DIS have impact on the mileage shown on the DIS.

The RM has suggested driving for 2-3 weeks with bigger fill-ups, no resetting the DIS and see if there is any changes.

Considering rest of the parameters (tyre pressure, AC usage etc) are within the normal ranges, any other suggestion or points I should be looking at to improve the mileage or be satisfied that what I am currently getting is OK based on my usage pattern.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 13:57   #4487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
I generally don't change the gears before 2200 rpm or sorts, definitely not below 2000 rpm. This since i believe the xuv turbo spools only after 1800, if you are changing before 1500 does it not mean that you don't let the turbo do any work and that your engine are maybe working on a 'rich mixture' of fuel. Just my thought. In highways my gear changes are generally are at 3000 rpm or more for gears after 1st.
I agree with mr anand here. With XUV, you should not change gears below 1500 rpm, it will strain your engine for sure. As its important not to over rev and change gear, its as important as well not to under rev it too. Ideal gear change for xuv should be in the range of 1700-2000 mark for good mileage. I have been doing this since nov 2011 and i get city mileage of 14.
nitinralli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 14:08   #4488
BHPian

This should be true for almost any turbo charged vehicle. It is good to work the turbo every once in a while and bad to lug the engine all the time. You'll get the best FE in the region where the turbo has just spooled and is not yet in the peak zone, in my opinion.
sharninder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 15:10   #4489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Ideal gear change for xuv should be in the range of 1700-2000 mark for good mileage. I have been doing this since nov 2011 and i get city mileage of 14.
Nitin I fully agree with you that 1700-2000 rpm is a good range. However, Anand is talking upwards of 2000 rpm in city and 3000 rpm on highways. I'm not sure about those ranges.
Old 13th June 2013, 15:30   #4490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
Nitin I fully agree with you that 1700-2000 rpm is a good range. However, Anand is talking upwards of 2000 rpm in city and 3000 rpm on highways. I'm not sure about those ranges.
In city you can do 2200 if you have less traffic which i assume Mr Anand face daily, however 3000 rpm on highway is little way too much but then maybe thats his driving style on highway (heavy foot). This will effect mileage for sure.

Ideally on highway 2200 to 2500 should be max to get good mileage and 2000 rpm for best mileage. Just my 2 cents.
Old 13th June 2013, 15:34   #4491
SDP
Team-BHP Support

All this confusion about what RPM to up-shift is because of lack of concrete information on "in the XUV, at what RPM does the turbo kick in?".
Can someone with a OBD-2 adapter check this out and help the rest of us? HotChillyPepper?
Old 13th June 2013, 17:04   #4492
BHPian

Quote:
3000 RPM in highway is not for all the gear changes, lets say the percentage is less than 25% of the total changes. It is mainly used for quick overtakes from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th gear. Never used in the 1st gear and the final 2 gears. I am comfortable @ speeds in the range of 120-140 where the RPM hovers just above 2000 RPM in 6th gear. Sorry for not making myself clear in my previous post.

City gear shifts are between 2000-2200 RPM, occasionally touch 2500 for a quick overtake, never above that. I feel the vehicle is not in control beyond that RPM in city traffic for me.
anandtheleo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 17:31   #4493
BHPian

Quote:
City gear shifts are between 2000-2200 RPM, occasionally touch 2500 for a quick overtake, never above that. I feel the vehicle is not in control beyond that RPM in city traffic for me.
I have been doing the same - between 2000-2200 rpm. Below that, she just does not have the grunt for any overtaking in the city.
Just got 12 kmpl on TF2TF on my first TF.

Havent taken her out on the highway yet, and am afraid to go beyond 2200 rpm during run-in. But I think my highway driving style has been spoiled by the City VTEC, so I will end up revving her to 3k rpm
goldie_malhotra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 18:03   #4494
BHPian

Quote:
3000 RPM in highway is not for all the gear changes, lets say the percentage is less than 25% of the total changes. It is mainly used for quick overtakes from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th gear. Never used in the 1st gear and the final 2 gears. I am comfortable @ speeds in the range of 120-140 where the RPM hovers just above 2000 RPM in 6th gear. Sorry for not making myself clear in my previous post.

Hi Anand thanks for the clarification. I've uploaded the relevant page from the manual below and they recommend 1800 - 2200 rpm.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-gear-shift-rpm-range.png  

Heavy Horse is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 18:38   #4495
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Anand thanks for the clarification. I've uploaded the relevant page from the manual below and they recommend 1800 - 2200 rpm.
Thank You Sir! I was looking for this. I have read the owner's manual completely when I bought the XUV. Was specifically looking for up-shift-RPM recommendations, but could not find it. Now the updated electronic version (PDF available at the XUV site) seems to have included that information.

Thanks again!

Last edited by SDP : 13th June 2013 at 18:41.
Old 13th June 2013, 20:05   #4496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Thank You Sir! I was looking for this. I have read the owner's manual completely when I bought the XUV. Was specifically looking for up-shift-RPM recommendations, but could not find it. Now the updated electronic version (PDF available at the XUV site) seems to have included that information.

Thanks again!
No need to thank me SDP. You were the one to put me on to the second edition of the owner's manual so I'm just returning a favour !

Btw I wish the manual was searchable in terms of key words. Would have made it much more user friendly.
Heavy Horse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 10:52   #4497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
Press the Mute and Seek(>>) buttons together for a couple of seconds.
Mudhalaipatti, this is not working.
I have tried with engine on and off, but no luck.
Anything I am doing wrong?
Old 14th June 2013, 13:25   #4498
Senior - BHPian

Sent in my xuv today for 30k service. Things i asked to be done:
• new break pads and pedal
• new bushes
• leftside low beam bulb
• front driver seat needed to be checked as i felt it was little loose.
• dashbord plastic needed to be checked

Rest its normal service. Asked my rm to click pics of break pads and pedal and send me to which he refused as he is not allowed to do that. Said air filter looks fine and can be used for another 5-6k kms so i asked him to clean it. He also said that exhaust pipes needs to be cleaned.

Will get my car in evening so lets see hows my bill looks like.
Old 14th June 2013, 13:59   #4499
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Mudhalaipatti, this is not working.
I have tried with engine on and off, but no luck.
Anything I am doing wrong?
It needs a few tries to get the timing correct. Both the buttons need to be pressed at the exact same time.

Its not a feature. Its a hack. So I don't blame M&M/Nippon for making it so difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Sent in my xuv today for 30k service. Things i asked to be done:
• new break pads and pedal
• new bushes
• leftside low beam bulb
• front driver seat needed to be checked as i felt it was little loose.
• dashbord plastic needed to be checked

Rest its normal service. Asked my rm to click pics of break pads and pedal and send me to which he refused as he is not allowed to do that. Said air filter looks fine and can be used for another 5-6k kms so i asked him to clean it. He also said that exhaust pipes needs to be cleaned.

Will get my car in evening so lets see hows my bill looks like.
Exhaust pipe cleaning is new. They always figure out something to chrage the customer for. Do let us know how the servicing was.
Old 14th June 2013, 14:18   #4500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
It needs a few tries to get the timing correct. Both the buttons need to be pressed at the exact same time.

Its not a feature. Its a hack. So I don't blame M&M/Nippon for making it so difficult.
I too had struggled to get it right, but was able to get it finally. You would need to do it simultaneously - and hold for a few seconds! Special Thanks to SDP for the help.

Most Viewed