Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2013, 16:52   #4546
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
...From the data (graph given below) we can see that the optimum coolant temperature for the vehicle is 90 degrees Celsius. It took me around 16 minutes of city driving to reach this. ....
Anand, thanks for sharing the data. My own OBD2 is being shipped. So you, me, HCP and FundaG are going to have a lot of fun in coming days.

Based on the graph you shared, a couple of questions about the RPM:
1. My observation (without any devices) is that the turbo kicks in around 1250rpm. What does your experiment say?

2. You seem to have touched 3000 rpm a few times during the office-commute and sometimes even 3500 rpm. I shift up around 2000rpm. So the only times I am at 3000 rpms and above is when I am in 6th gear. I doubt you were in 6th gear so many times during a office commute. Do you follow a different shifting pattern?

Last edited by SDP : 9th July 2013 at 16:56.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 17:18   #4547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Anand, thanks for sharing the data. My own OBD2 is being shipped. So you, me, HCP and FundaG are going to have a lot of fun in coming days.

Based on the graph you shared, a couple of questions about the RPM:
1. My observation (without any devices) is that the turbo kicks in around 1250rpm. What does your experiment say?

2. You seem to have touched 3000 rpm a few times during the office-commute and sometimes even 3500 rpm. I shift up around 2000rpm. So the only times I am at 3000 rpms and above is when I am in 6th gear. I doubt you were in 6th gear so many times during a office commute. Do you follow a different shifting pattern?
Welcome to the OBD club

1. You are right about the turbo kicking in, you can see in the below graph, which is a smaller cross-section of the previous Boost-RPM graph, which I feel looks very congested now at second glance.

2. I do change my gears at a higher rate than 2000 RPM, but do not go beyond 2500 RPM. But the shifts being shown in the graph were to understand better the characteristics of the XUV. Normally I don't shift @ 3000 RPM in my office commute.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-bvn53.jpg  

anandtheleo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 10:28   #4548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Mahindra readies base ‘W4’ XUV500 variant.

Likely to be called the W4, this base model XUV will have no changes to the Mahindra has not yet green-lighted this new variant for showrooms. This is because it wants to see if the W6 and W8 variants (now with lower prices thanks to the new ground clearance rating) manage to re-ignite the sales charts.
For a vehicle costing upwards of 15 lacs, 30 thousand odd rupees off is not exactly going to set the sales on fire.

Rather then a W4 they should be looking at a W7 with lesser gizmos (auto sensors, ambient lighting etc.), but shorn with alloys and decent ICE.

They may have to go the VW route to offer discounts, offers, exchange benefits, etc. etc. to counter the onslaught of the likes of Duster, Ecosport, the upcoming Terrano.

Last edited by m_upreti : 10th July 2013 at 10:31.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 11:12   #4549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
For a vehicle costing upwards of 15 lacs, 30 thousand odd rupees off is not exactly going to set the sales on fire.

Rather then a W4 they should be looking at a W7 with lesser gizmos (auto sensors, ambient lighting etc.), but shorn with alloys and decent ICE.

They may have to go the VW route to offer discounts, offers, exchange benefits, etc. etc. to counter the onslaught of the likes of Duster, Ecosport, the upcoming Terrano.
Looks like everybody is playing a waiting game to see others launch price and then come up with self pricing. I dont know if that led to EcoSport delay and finally they ended up launching. Nissan must have delayed Terrano just to see how ford will price EcoSport.

M&M has to launch W4 sooner or later. and i hope they ensure that ex-showroom stays below 10L in all the states.

W4 can still be a better bet than the top end duster or even 85 RxL(0) if it is priced within 50K range.

But the question is, with W4, where will their new Scorpio fit ?
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 12:07   #4550
Senior - BHPian

The XUV5OO receives the TNS customer satisfaction award:

Quote:
The popular SUV from Mahindra recently received the ‘Total Customer Satisfaction Award’ from TNS Automotive. The study covered dimensions such as sales satisfaction, product quality, vehicle performance and design, brand image, after-sales service and cost of ownership.

An annual syndicated study conducted by TNS India, the Four Wheeler Total Customer Satisfaction (TCS) Study covers a sample size of around 8,800 car owners at 1 to 36 months of ownership in 28 cities across India.
Source:
http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur...n-award/16803/
Old 10th July 2013, 14:56   #4551
Senior - BHPian

My friend caught this XUV under testing. I cannot make out any changes on the exterior. XUV owners your comments please!

Current XUV was code named W201 before the launch, this one has W189 code written on the exterior

New version in the making?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-xuv.jpg  

Last edited by Latheesh : 10th July 2013 at 15:02.
Old 10th July 2013, 15:56   #4552
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post

M&M has to launch W4 sooner or later. and i hope they ensure that ex-showroom stays below 10L in all the states.

W4 can still be a better bet than the top end duster or even 85 RxL(0) if it is priced within 50K range.
Personally I would not mind Mahindra launching a W7. A cheaper W4 could lead to a higher number of XUV's on the road making it lose the exclusivity and the dream car tag. And ofcourse it could also have an impact at the service centres where all these RM's and personal attention for XUV owners goes for a toss.

Cheaper options can also end up as taxis and go the same way as the Innova. Being a XUV W8 owner, it sure is going to bruise my ego after putting so much money on this model. Though a W4 might bring more business to Mahindra, I feel they should not go that way considering how it could affect the overall XUV brand.

Just like Toyota, Chevrolet or Ford not bringing in a stripped down version of Fortuner, Captiva or Endeavor at a lower price to take on XUV, Mahindra also should take the same stand to maintain the XUV brand name. And like Ford brought in Ecosport, should bring in a entirely different car for that segment.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 16:05   #4553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Personally I would not mind Mahindra launching a W7. A cheaper W4 could lead to a higher number of XUV's on the road making it lose the exclusivity and the dream car tag. And ofcourse it could also have an impact at the service centres where all these RM's and personal attention for XUV owners goes for a toss.
I dont think XUV will ever have the taxi image. Have we ever seen Tata safari/Scorpio as taxis ? they are available at similar price point as innova taxi isnt it ?

SUV cater to different segment of people. taxi is definitely not one of them. It can become a self drive car rental vehicle if that market picks up here for those heading towards himalays

I am sure Mahindra will keep a separate buffer for new Scorpoio and that might compete with the likes of duster.

W4 is more for people like me with smaller pockets . Its more of a wishlist.
Old 10th July 2013, 16:20   #4554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
My friend caught this XUV under testing. I cannot make out any changes on the exterior. XUV owners your comments please!

Current XUV was code named W201 before the launch, this one has W189 code written on the exterior

New version in the making?
Yeah I saw this one in the Mahindar City circuit, doing testing, this afternoon. Couldn't make out any obvious difference. The other day when I asked the test driver about the testing, he said 'testing new brakes', with a wicked smile. That's the nth time I have heard it from these drivers. Let me stop him this evening and look deep inside and hopefully post some interior pics.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 16:52   #4555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Personally I would not mind Mahindra launching a W7. A cheaper W4 could lead to a higher number of XUV's on the road making it lose the exclusivity and the dream car tag.
Atleast in Chennai the XUV is very very common on roads. I don't think there is much exclusivity left with the kind of sales XUV has notched up since launch. A W4 variant shouldn't do much harm to the "brand". Afterall it would be within a lakh of the W6 I presume
Old 10th July 2013, 17:14   #4556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cheaper options can also end up as taxis and go the same way as the Innova. Being a XUV W8 owner, it sure is going to bruise my ego after putting so much money on this model. Though a W4 might bring more business to Mahindra, I feel they should not go that way considering how it could affect the overall XUV brand. FundaG
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I dont think XUV will ever have the taxi image. Have we ever seen Tata safari/Scorpio as taxis ? they are available at similar price point as innova taxi isnt it ?
W4 is more for people like me with smaller pockets . Its more of a wishlist.
While I would welcome the W4 also but I agree with FundaG that it would attract the fleet operators.

Rajshenoy, believe me, I never stop my Scorpio near any bus stop on the Navi Mumbai stretch of the Mumbai Pune Highway, for the fear of being mobbed by people wishing to travel to Pune and near about as there are a lot of Scorpio M2DI's and lower variants running as taxis on this route.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 17:18   #4557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While I would welcome the W4 also but I agree with FundaG that it would attract the fleet operators.

Rajshenoy, believe me, I never stop my Scorpio near any bus stop on the Navi Mumbai stretch of the Mumbai Pune Highway, for the fear of being mobbed by people wishing to travel to Pune and near about as there are a lot of Scorpio M2DI's and lower variants running as taxis on this route.
Hmmm, ok i take my words back. I do not see scorpio taxis in this side of India.

Bangalore has qualis/innova/xylo/tavera and even TT as they can stuff more people may be.

So does this mean M&M is in a soup ? how to sell more XUV ?
Old 10th July 2013, 17:58   #4558
SDP
Team-BHP Support

There is no exclusivity left whatsoever with XUV5OO. When I got mine a year back, even then there were quite a few on Mumbai roads. I took solace in the fact that at least in my office parking mine was the only one. Now there at least 6-7 XUVs parked in my office parking and there are 2 red ones as well, which I thought is not a very common color.

About the sales-numbers, they have been heading south for last 5-6 months. Price/duty hikes, negative publicity from word of mouth and the Duster collectively have brought down the popularity of XUV by quite a few notches. M&M has a installed capacity of at least 3000 XUVs per month and they sold less than 1400 in June'2013. I just hope that M&M doesn't get desparate and do something stupid jeopardizing the existing owners as well.

Last edited by SDP : 10th July 2013 at 18:00.
Old 10th July 2013, 18:45   #4559
Senior - BHPian

Barring very few cars like the Alto, no other car in Indian market can sustain demand greater than the capacity of the manufacturer for long. The Duster has survived so far only because it is a segment creator.

The Indian market is now very much comparable to the new movie releases. When a new movie is released it creates an "initial pull" which fizzes out sooner or later, depending just how good the movie is.

The XUV was a superstar movie. The next such movie will be the EcoSport.

Just my 2c.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 19:21   #4560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post

About the sales-numbers, they have been heading south for last 5-6 months. Price/duty hikes, negative publicity from word of mouth and the Duster collectively have brought down the popularity of XUV by quite a few notches. M&M has a installed capacity of at least 3000 XUVs per month and they sold less than 1400 in June'2013. I just hope that M&M doesn't get desparate and do something stupid jeopardizing the existing owners as well.
I feel rising diesel prices have made some contribution as well. With high diesel prices(further going north) those who primarily need this for office commute will think of better FE(and lesser price too) yet keeping the SUV image and go for Duster and ecosport likes. they also have smaller foot print for city driving. Because not many will really get to test the S and U of their SUV ?
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed