Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2013, 08:13   #4636
BHPian

AFAIK Zappo has a W8 and not a W6, so his mirror assembly will be costlier than a one in W6.
anandtheleo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 08:25   #4637
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
AFAIK Zappo has a W8 and not a W6, so his mirror assembly will be costlier than a one in W6.
Anand,
You are right! My mistake, I was confused. Checked a few posts by him and realized that he indeed has a W8 and not a W6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
In W6, there is a space for this button, just that the actual button is missing. Since W6/w8 shares same parts hence this was already there, so no issue in this part. Now to add the mechanism is what needs to be done. Can you check with your RM if possiable about this experiment, i will check with mine too.

And are you sure Zappo had to pay 9500 for a single mirror for W6
How much would W8 mirror would cost then?
As correctly pointed out by Anand, zappo has a W8.
I was wondering why I remember 4500Rs and why zappo was charged 9500Rs.
Just now it clicked that when they replaced the ORVM for me (under warranty), they replaced only the internal mechanism and NOT the entire assembly. So the outer colored cover and shell was not replaced.

In zappo's case, my guess is that the entire assembly would have been replaced. Possibly would have involved paiting of the mirror's outer panel as well. That should explain the gap between 4500Rs and 9500Rs.

Last edited by SDP : 26th July 2013 at 08:43.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 14:25   #4638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
The lower variant would not necessaily sell or canibalize the W6. I believe, even if it can help increasing the foot-falls to the showroom M&M should be happy. Lot of people are currently busy doing comparisons on paper without seeing the concerned vehicles in flesh. IMHO M&M should not try to compete with the EcoSport at all, till they have a compact-SUV offering.
Quote:

Even I do not like the same model having too many variants spanning 2-3 segments in terms of price.
Why I think a exactly similar sized w4 with the same engine might affect the business of w6/w8 models.

The expected on-road price for w4 should be say 11-12lacs while a w8 is right now going at 16-17lacs (both bangalore based). So which means a 4-5 lacs difference. Now any w4 buyer with this 4-5 lacs in hand could do a lot of things to make the car far better one than the w8 like installing
- really good looking alloys
- a bigger touch screen media player/navigator with steering/voice controls
- lcd screens behind front head rests
- a far better audio system
- stanley leathers for the seats
- a better suspension package etc

Even half the amount which could be the difference with a w6 could get things that would make a w4 better than w6. Now a w6/w8 could have features and technologies under the hood like the ABS, ESB, TPMS, airbags, cruise control etc, but from a passenger perspective consider the premium feel they are bound to experience in such a accessorised w4. Far better things that they can see, touch and feel. And am sure there would be whole lot of buyers who would be more concerned on the look and feel department than these under the hood technologies that may not be put to use regularly. Other thing is all these branded third party accessories would mean w4 owners would have a better peace of mind and lesser visits to mahindra service centre with related niggles.

So in the end will Mahindra get more business or lose business with the w4.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 14:49   #4639
Distinguished - BHPian

Regarding the W4 as and when its launched, I feel that it'll have the same structure but might have only regular headlamps and no projectors. They might even get rid of rear disc brakes. Most of the gizmos might be missing. My 2 çents.
Old 26th July 2013, 22:37   #4640
BHPian

Interesting discussion. Seems W6 & W8 has become part of the main stream now so that there is a necessity for some new W*. The stabilization part of the life cycle for existing Ws perhaps ?
But it would be really interesting to know what's the thinking in the M&M camp. I'm sure the Scorpio line would also be undergoing the knife soon. Let's see which variant comes out first.

Here is a interesting angle of the existing W8. Winking at us is it ?

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-xuv21.jpg
yogibear007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2013, 13:28   #4641
BHPian

Sorry if this has already been discussed here. I was thinking of upgrading my Xylo to XUV and came across the news that Mahindra is reducing the ground clearance of XUV from 200 mm to 160mm. Any thoughts on how this is going to impact the off-roading capabilities of XUV ?
Old 27th July 2013, 13:33   #4642
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
Sorry if this has already been discussed here. I was thinking of upgrading my Xylo to XUV and came across the news that Mahindra is reducing the ground clearance of XUV from 200 mm to 160mm. Any thoughts on how this is going to impact the off-roading capabilities of XUV ?
Two things:
1. Mahindras are not really doing anything for the ground clearance. They would have changed the method of calculating or would have replaced an existing plastic stone guard with a metal one. So most of us believe that the ACTUAL GC is not going to change one bit.

2. XUV is a softroader. What kind of off-roading you have in mind?

---------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogibear007 View Post
Here is a interesting angle of the existing W8. Winking at us is it ?

You got the arctic blue?

Last edited by SDP : 27th July 2013 at 13:35.
Old 27th July 2013, 13:55   #4643
BHPian

Quote:
You got the arctic blue?
No. It's the good old Dolphin Grey. The arctic blue was just launched when I finalized this one. Probably the sky reflection has given some bluish hue to the photo. It does appear somewhere in between Grey and Arctic Blue.
Was just experimenting with a new lens when captured this one.
Old 27th July 2013, 16:24   #4644
BHPian

Quote:
Two things:
1. . So most of us believe that the ACTUAL GC is not going to change one bit.

2. XUV is a softroader. What kind of off-roading you have in mind?
Thanks SDP. I am not going to do real off-loading but was worried if i have to take it to places where the roads are not so great especially in rural Kerala. If this is just a change in stone guard, I hope nothing is going to impact much.

On the same note, do you see any other issues with the latest batch of XUVs or is there anything positive compared to previous ones?
Old 27th July 2013, 16:49   #4645
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
... do you see any other issues with the latest batch of XUVs or is there anything positive compared to previous ones?
Some of the recent owners can comment possibly. The niggles thread has slowed down quite a bit. But I would not like to assume anything. Let the recent owners speak.
Old 27th July 2013, 22:58   #4646
BHPian

Quote:

Some of the recent owners can comment possibly. The niggles thread has slowed down quite a bit. But I would not like to assume anything. Let the recent owners speak.
Yes. I would very much love to get the feedback of recent owners. At the same time I would like to appreciate the way people keep updating this thread by answering any questions thrown in (I dont know if a XUV500 dealer would support this way) and sharing thier knowledge.
Old 27th July 2013, 23:31   #4647
BHPian

Quote:
I've taken delivery of my W8 in this March and have driven around 8K already. Absolutely no issue whatsoever. Had my first servicing at around 5.2K costing 2400/- which was mainly the oil and filter changes. In addition, I had to change the rear mudguard set since one was damaged.
I have done one Konkan trip, one western Maharashtra trip and one to my village. Mostly there was no issue regarding the ground clearance since the 8K was mostly a 'road' drive so to say. I did face problems on the road to the farm in my village which was the usual thoroughfare for bullock carts and tractors. This two trenched road was scrapping the XUV belly quite a few times but I guess that is expected on such roads.
On one of these trips, we had full quorum of 7 people. The last bench was occupied by team members who were less than 5 feet and both said they were comfortable on the back bench. The longest single ride on this trip was for three hours which is average I believe. But at the same time, luggage was a real problem on this trip with no space to keep the bags at all. The space behind the back seat is not even worth a full loaded laptop bag. But all the rest of the functionalities are, touchwood, functioning as they are supposed to.
The overall experience is fantastic and my family members have also agreed in the end which is some achievement considering the fact that we pride ourselves in having 'independent' (read, individual and not agreeing to anybody else) views regarding everything.
So go ahead and take the plunge. You won't get this much for this little .
yogibear007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 15:31   #4648
BHPian

Dear All, as promised please find attached the pics of the LHD test mule from Leh! This one as per the driver is being done for the European markets.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_0895.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_0896.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_0897.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_0898.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_0899.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_0900.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_0901.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_0902.jpg  

AGwagon is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 22:06   #4649
BHPian

Had a test drive of W8 today and impressed with all the features and only concern being the boot space. Sales guy said if i am really worried about the new GC, he can arrange a vehicle with old GC for the new price It seems they have few units available at their yard which are manufactured in April-May but I will have to be content with the limited color options. I guess its not worth going for a 2 month old vehicle just for getting 40mm GC technically.. right ?
Old 30th July 2013, 23:54   #4650
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Had a test drive of W8 today and impressed with all the features and only concern being the boot space. Sales guy said if i am really worried about the new GC, he can arrange a vehicle with old GC for the new price It seems they have few units available at their yard which are manufactured in April-May but I will have to be content with the limited color options. I guess its not worth going for a 2 month old vehicle just for getting 40mm GC technically.. right ?
There is a dedicated thread on ground clearance change, go through the posts in detail, you will find a solution to your gc concerns for sure.

Most Viewed