Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2013, 13:32   #4816
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
So, folks, ABS saves lives & the XUV has a pretty good set.
You nailed it. ABS definitely is a life saver in such emergency conditions as you mentioned above. It happened with me also twice in my Linea. I just hope that the safety features are given importance by the car manufacturers as well as by the car buying general public.
And good to hear that XUV performed well in this key aspect.
Old 19th September 2013, 20:14   #4817
BHPian

Tyre Rotation Conundrum

I had a surprising interaction with Karnataka Agencies, Mangalore yesterday. I had given my vehicle for the second free service (10,000 kms) and around 2.30 pm was finalising the bill, readying to take the car. I enquired if the Tyre rotation had been done. According to them it was not necessary as the tyres were fine. I explained to them that it was required to be done to even out tyre wear over a period of time, when they showed me a printed checklist which had “I” against tyres, meaning “inspect”.

Luckily I had my laptop with me and I could show the M&M maintenance schedule, thanks to fellow BHPians who had circulated it some months earlier (see attached). It clearly said tyre rotation every 10,000 kms. However, scrolling down to the maintenance schedule you have the “I” as mentioned above. Obviously this had created confusion. However, they agreed to do the rotation after wheel balancing, and to be fair to them, they did a good job, and I had a smooth 65 km ride back to Manipal.

Last night I wrote to M&M customer care. I got a very prompt email early this morning that their designated Karnataka man would look in to the issue. This gentleman called me around 11 am and agreed that there was a discrepancy. I pointed out to him that in the manual, Nov 2012 edition, around page 250, Sec 15, it is very nicely explained why periodic tyre rotation is required to extend tyre life. The M&M man is discussing this with their tech team and see what changes should be made. I have suggested that they replace the “I” with “Rec” for recommended. Let’s see if they make any changes.

This incident left me quite astonished because all our BHP members who have done their second service, have got their tyres rotated in an almost routine manner, and I had it in my head as a “given”. Therefore, was really surprised that it became an issue.

Anyway, as someone said recently, never a dull moment with the XUV !
Attached Files
File Type: pdf XUV500_Maintenance_Schedule.pdf (254.2 KB, 423 views)

Last edited by Heavy Horse : 19th September 2013 at 20:21.
Heavy Horse is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 20:19   #4818
BHPian

JI've been following this thread for months and want to share that I've just booked a Dolphin Grey W8 AWD!!! Will know about the VIN and expected delivery date in a few days.

Reading about the multiple headlamp failures on the niggles thread, I feel Mahindra should have sorted this out along with the brake, clutch, suspension improvements that have been released recently. Sigh.

I know that I will want to upgrade the stock speakers really soon - I wouldn't want to do anything that tampers with warranty, but any improvement in sound quality would be welcome. Would any of you have any advice on what speakers I should opt for, preferably something that can fit into the stock positions perfectly?
Old 19th September 2013, 20:58   #4819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNAWAYAJ View Post
JI've been following this thread for months and want to share that I've just booked a Dolphin Grey W8 AWD!!! Will know about the VIN and expected delivery date in a few days.

Reading about the multiple headlamp failures on the niggles thread, I feel Mahindra should have sorted this out along with the brake, clutch, suspension improvements that have been released recently. Sigh.

I know that I will want to upgrade the stock speakers really soon - I wouldn't want to do anything that tampers with warranty, but any improvement in sound quality would be welcome. Would any of you have any advice on what speakers I should opt for, preferably something that can fit into the stock positions perfectly?
Congrats on your new car.

As for speakers, you can add 6'25inch components in all four stock locations if you want, they will fit easily.

As for warranty, till the time you dont cut any stock wires, you are OK. You can add amps, comps, subs etc with separate wiring and not bother about warranty. You can check my thread on this if you want in ICE section.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...v500-iced.html

Last edited by nitinralli : 19th September 2013 at 21:01. Reason: added link
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 22:22   #4820
BHPian

Hi, I would like a sincere advice from all of you.
I have been driving a Fiat Linea since the last 3.5 years and am pretty satisfied. But now i am thinking of upgrading to XUV. I have the following questions.

1) Is it safe to buy it now or should i wait for a bit and see for the responses to the improvements that Mahindra has made in the vehicle?

2) XUV will replace Linea as my daily driven vehicle. My question is, will it be as easy/difficult to drive in city traffic as Linea or is it more cumbersome?

OT: I live in Amritsar
Suggestions from all will be greatly appreciated
Old 19th September 2013, 22:52   #4821
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasmadaan View Post
I have been driving a Fiat Linea since the last 3.5 years and am pretty satisfied. But now i am thinking of upgrading to XUV. I have the following questions.

1) Is it safe to buy it now or should i wait for a bit and see for the responses to the improvements that Mahindra has made in the vehicle?

2) XUV will replace Linea as my daily driven vehicle. My question is, will it be as easy/difficult to drive in city traffic as Linea or is it more cumbersome?

Ans 1: Yes its safe to buy now as there's no point waiting anymore. Things they could improve have already been done. Things they couldn't fix till date looks to be never ending.

Ans 2: Well i haven't driven Linea ever so cant really state how it drives. I used to drive Ford Fiesta so i can comment on those lines. Fiesta was a dream to drive in city traffic hence XUV could never ever come close to it. Reason: well XUV has a slight turbo lag and 1st and 2nd gear have low ratio hence need to be changed frequently. Anything above 2nd gear is fun.
Old 19th September 2013, 23:04   #4822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasmadaan View Post

Yes; it's safe to buy from my experience. I bought the XUV in Apr'13 after waiting for a year for the niggles to disappear. I can now say that it's a niggle free vehicle. Go ahead with your purchase.

I had a Linea petrol 1.4 and later the TJet. You can't compare XuV with the Linea as they are different vehicles. I would vouch for the Linea sedan as it is a fun to drive car both in the city and on highways.

XUV is one of the best and vfm SUV's around today and you won't regret the decision. City driving wont be an issue as you get used to its size. Parking in tight spaces of our cramped city might be an issue.

Last edited by bnzjon : 19th September 2013 at 23:07.
Old 20th September 2013, 17:25   #4823
BHPian

Hi guys,
Have booked xuv w8(fwd) after cancelling my Ecosport booking.The dealer has told me that it will be delivered in 15 days as satin white was not available. It has been 7 days already and i cant wait to lay my hands on the beast.I hope the new batches are niggle free
Old 20th September 2013, 18:59   #4824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
Yes; it's safe to buy from my experience. I bought the XUV in Apr'13 after waiting for a year for the niggles to disappear. I can now say that it's a niggle free vehicle. Go ahead with your purchase.
XUV is one of the best and vfm SUV's around today and you won't regret the decision. City driving wont be an issue as you get used to its size. Parking in tight spaces of our cramped city might be an issue.
You inspire confidence .

Just got the following SMS from my M&M Dealer:

"Announcing the never before WOW Offer on all Personal range of Mahindra products benefits up to 53000/- Grab the opportunity till offer lasts !!!"

Will check what this is all about tomorrow and update
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 19:43   #4825
BHPian

The initial lag is not a problem with me as my linea also has that. I was only worried about the dimensions. Checked on the website. Length of both are pretty similar. Difference lies in the width. XUV is much wider

Length and Width
Linea 4560 mm 1730 mm
XUV 4585 mm 1890 mm
Old 22nd September 2013, 19:58   #4826
BHPian

My beloved XUV suffered its first injury last night. Couldn't sleep properly last night knowing the damage to my car.

How it happened

Had gone for dinner to a prominent 5 star hotel in Delhi. Gave my XUV to the valet and mentioned casually to him to take care of the car as I always do. After 1-2 hrs, stepped out with friends and gave the valet ticket to the valet. When the car came, there was a deep dent on the rear right fender.

I raised an alarm but the valet's were adamant that it was already there. I know for a fact that it wasn't there when I gave the car to them as I am very very particular about all my cars. They produced the torn end of the valet slip on the back of which something illegible was scribbled. This was supposedly the indication that the gash was already there and they had marked it before hand.

I argued that if this was the case, they should point it out to the guest before giving him the valet slip and mention the same on the ticket in front of him and NOT AT THEIR OWN WHIM AND FANCY.

They profusely started apologizing but there was no solution offered from their side. I was with some guests so could not really create a scene for long and left in a huff. Such irresponsible behavior from a reputed hotel is not expected.

Attaching the pics of the damage. Going to the Mahindra ASS tomorrow to get an estimate for a repair. Though I have zero dep. insurance, dont want to lose the NCB for small repairs.

Lets see, will update when I visit the ASS tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-20130922_120903.jpeg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-20130922_120825.jpeg  

Last edited by Sisu : 22nd September 2013 at 20:06.
Old 22nd September 2013, 20:33   #4827
BHPian

Can someone pls suggest options for roof top carrier for xuv. M&M is offering only one. Any feedback on the same. How are after market products?
Old 23rd September 2013, 18:43   #4828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisu View Post
My beloved XUV suffered its first injury last night. Couldn't sleep properly last night knowing the damage to my car.

How it happened

Had gone for dinner to a prominent 5 star hotel in Delhi. Gave my XUV to the valet and mentioned casually to him to take care of the car as I always do. After 1-2 hrs, stepped out with friends and gave the valet ticket to the valet. When the car came, there was a deep dent on the rear right fender.

I raised an alarm but the valet's were adamant that it was already there. I know for a fact that it wasn't there when I gave the car to them as I am very very particular about all my cars. They produced the torn end of the valet slip on the back of which something illegible was scribbled. This was supposedly the indication that the gash was already there and they had marked it before hand.

I argued that if this was the case, they should point it out to the guest before giving him the valet slip and mention the same on the ticket in front of him and NOT AT THEIR OWN WHIM AND FANCY.

They profusely started apologizing but there was no solution offered from their side. I was with some guests so could not really create a scene for long and left in a huff. Such irresponsible behavior from a reputed hotel is not expected.

Attaching the pics of the damage. Going to the Mahindra ASS tomorrow to get an estimate for a repair. Though I have zero dep. insurance, dont want to lose the NCB for small repairs.

Lets see, will update when I visit the ASS tomorrow.
Sorry to hear that mate. By the way which hotel was it? And what was the total damage from M&M service?
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 19:12   #4829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisu View Post
Sisu, really sorry to see that dent. Fully understand that you could'nt sleep that night. First time I picked up a scratch, much smaller than yours, I could'nt even bear to look at it. My wife consoled me by saying, " in a way it is good....ab nazar nahin lagega !" I hope those words offer you some solace too. Good luck with thw A$$ quote.
Heavy Horse is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 21:24   #4830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Sorry to hear that mate. By the way which hotel was it? And what was the total damage from M&M service?
Thanks Nitin. It was the Taj Palace hotel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
Sisu, really sorry to see that dent. Fully understand that you could'nt sleep that night. First time I picked up a scratch, much smaller than yours, I could'nt even bear to look at it. My wife consoled me by saying, " in a way it is good....ab nazar nahin lagega !" I hope those words offer you some solace too. Good luck with thw A$$ quote.
Thanks for the kind words Heavy Horse!

Hopefully there would not be any more "nazarbattu's" after this incident.

Could not get to the service centre today. Plan to go there tomorrow and get an estimate. Will update here once I get a quote from M&M.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks