Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2013, 22:13   #4831
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisu View Post
My beloved XUV suffered its first injury last night. Couldn't sleep properly last night knowing the damage to my car.
Though we expect such things happen on road, in your case it was different. But the good part is, there is no damage to the paint and ED coat. If the ASS quote an unreasonable amount, try to get it corrected from some good dent repair shops. I think it can be done after removing the plastic cladding in the wheel well.
Old 24th September 2013, 13:30   #4832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisu View Post
Thanks Nitin. It was the Taj Palace hotel.
Sorry to learn about the damage to your XUV. However, I am surprised at this happening at Taj Palace, I did not face such problem, even once, when I went there long time back (those days discrimination on basis of car model wasn't practiced).

These days, my parents are stubborn to upgrade, their valets/ security practice auto apartheid & we live bit far, so not aware of current scenario.

BTW how much is the crowd these days in Taj & Maurya... I am sure with dispensable income on rise, South Delhi citizens would more often flock to these places leading to crowding on weekends IMO.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 24th September 2013 at 13:31.
Old 24th September 2013, 16:32   #4833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Sorry to learn about the damage to your XUV. However, I am surprised at this happening at Taj Palace, I did not face such problem, even once, when I went there long time back (those days discrimination on basis of car model wasn't practiced).

These days, my parents are stubborn to upgrade, their valets/ security practice auto apartheid & we live bit far, so not aware of current scenario.

BTW how much is the crowd these days in Taj & Maurya... I am sure with dispensable income on rise, South Delhi citizens would more often flock to these places leading to crowding on weekends IMO.
Hi Cardeep,

I too have been a regular at this hotel and have not faced such an issue earlier. In fact not even at any other hotel that I frequent.

What left a bad taste was the way this incident was handled. A simple acceptance of their mistake followed by a sincere apology from their side would have made me quite satisfied. I was in no way inclined to claim any damages from them as I understand these things happen. But outright denial and then lying about marking it on the Valet slip was something which was unacceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Though we expect such things happen on road, in your case it was different. But the good part is, there is no damage to the paint and ED coat. If the ASS quote an unreasonable amount, try to get it corrected from some good dent repair shops. I think it can be done after removing the plastic cladding in the wheel well.
It cant be done through the wheel well because apparently XUV has double sheet body panels. So simple hammering from one side would not remove the dent but in fact damage the inner sheet of metal. This has to be corrected by removing the full fender and pulling the dent out.

Anyway, moving on to the repair estimate. I know the Bodyshop Manager at a Honda Dealership in Delhi so went to him. He cleaned the damage by rubbing and spraying some chemical on it so the paint is back to its original sheen. Only the dent remains which would have to be pulled out and matched with the rest of the curve in the fender. In his opinion, it would be a 2 day job and would cost 3-4k to get it done at Mahindra.

Since my car has done ~3500km already, I would get this repaired at the first service and not immediately. It would serve as a "nazarbattu" till then and protect my car from buri nazar. I do plan on taking an estimate from M&M beforehand though. Will update here once I do that.

Cheerz

Last edited by Sisu : 24th September 2013 at 16:50.
Sisu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 18:56   #4834
BHPian

Hi guys,
I have booked an xuv 500 FWD and expecting the delivery in a few days. I wanted to know if the new batch of cars too have the same niggles or M&M has done the needful and made the new cars niggle free. Also any advice from you guys which i should pay heed to as a new/would be xuv owner?
Old 24th September 2013, 20:12   #4835
BHPian

Came across this news on the FB page

How XUV5oo is made is coming on Discovery channel on 29 sep 2013
like Megafactory at 8-9pm.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...2592726&type=1

Would be surely a great watch...

FundaG

Last edited by fundagenie : 24th September 2013 at 20:15.
fundagenie is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 20:26   #4836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Came across this news on the FB page

How XUV5oo is made is coming on Discovery channel on 29 sep 2013
like Megafactory at 8-9pm.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...2592726&type=1

Would be surely a great watch...
Thanks mate. Great find!

Can't wait to finally see how this car is put together and what changes have the M&M sleuths incorporated since inception to improve/eliminate the niggles.

Going to be interesting.

Cheerzz
Old 24th September 2013, 21:44   #4837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_torque133 View Post
Hi guys,
I have booked an xuv 500 FWD and expecting the delivery in a few days. I wanted to know if the new batch of cars too have the same niggles or M&M has done the needful and made the new cars niggle free. Also any advice from you guys which i should pay heed to as a new/would be xuv owner?
You asked for it Andy, so here goes.

My vehicle was manufactured Nov 12, delivered Jan 7, 2013. I have crossed 11,000 kms and my experience has been niggle free barring the odd rattle etc.

Congratulations that you have booked an XUV. More likely than not, you too should have a niggle free experience. M&M have made efforts to iron out the creases. This thread, especially the buyers in 2013 have shared their experiences and if you can go through them with some patience, you will come out highly educated. You should also read individual ownership threads by SDP, Mudhalaipatti, Debuda, Sathya and several others.

Having said that I will just mention a few of the things that I did.

1. Don’t get too adventurous right up front. Give yourself time to get used to the vehicle size and dynamics. Drive conservatively at least for the first 100-150 kms, preferably within city limits.

2. Don’t try and ride the clutch in the 2nd gear. Better to downshift to 1st, especially while tackling speed-breakers, potholes etc. The low gear ratios in 1st and 2nd are a problem with the XUV but you will soon get used to them.

3. Once you get the confidence that YOU control the vehicle and not the other way around, feel free to hit the highway. Start with stretches of 20 – 25 kms and acclimatise yourself to the handling charateristics at higher speeds. In my view, at this stage you can do 100 kmph + speeds, no issues.

4. By the time you hit 350 kms on the ODO you will be pretty comfortable. At this stage you can plan longer highway trips, where the XUV really excels. No doubt it’s made for the highways.

5. Check all fluids at regular intervals. I don’t anticipate that you will face any problems, but it is a new vehicle after all and needs close monitoring.

6. Check tyre pressures at regular intervals. I believe in following recommended pressures and don’t like to experiment.

7. Keep reading the manual. Make sure they give you the Nov 2012 edition. Otherwise you can download it from the net. It’s a storehouse of information and clarifies many things, though not everything ! Watch the video too. It’s quite instructional.

8. Keep following the threads on BHP. We have a terrific array of technically astute people, some of whom I have named. I am sure they will help you in all possible ways.

9. Try and develop a relationship of positive engagement with the dealer, as opposed to a fault finding one. Compliment them when they do a good job, point out shoddy work without flying off the handle. Try to avoid escalating as far as possible. It's the guys lower down who do the real work. Make every effort to keep them on your side. If you are well educated about your vehicle (points 7 & 8), they respect you. There's tonnes of stuff they don't know about the XUV. For instance my dealer did'nt know that the reverse horn can be enabled, that tyre rotation needs to be done every 10K etc etc !!

10. See if you can get to know the Area Sales Manager of M&M for your dealer. He may be based away from your hometown. Mine is in Bangalore. He can be quite useful in resolving any conflict with the dealer (hope you won't need that).

That’s my 2 cents. Don’t mind the “gyan” from a 57 year old !! That’s all we do at this age.

Happy ownership and thousands of kilometeres of hassle free driving.

Last edited by Heavy Horse : 24th September 2013 at 21:47. Reason: Typo
Heavy Horse is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 22:05   #4838
Senior - BHPian

While going to office today, i had a scary incident on NH8 gurgaon expressway. I was driving at around 90-100 kmph. In front of me there was this red figo doing almost the same speed when all of a sudden a white bolero in front of Figo decided to stop right in the middle of the expressway. Figo stopped right in front of me all of a sudden. I applied brakes but as we all know brakes are not that great to talk about in XUV, hence i almost went into figo, but then i took a sharp right turn in order to avoid hitting figo. Tyres screamed like hell but my car stayed on road and came out brilliantly out of this mess.

One thing for sure, if it would have been a ladder on chassis SUV, then i surely would have turned turtle. It was the brilliant handling of XUV that saved me and that Figo. Just hoped that brakes too would have been good like handling
nitinralli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 22:27   #4839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
You asked for it Andy, so here goes.

My vehicle was manufactured Nov 12, delivered Jan 7, 2013. I have crossed 11,000 kms and my experience has been niggle free barring the odd rattle etc.

===========

1. Don’t get too adventurous right up front. Give yourself time to get used to the vehicle size and dynamics. Drive conservatively at least for the first 100-150 kms, preferably within city limits.

========
10. See if you can get to know the Area Sales Manager of M&M for your dealer. He may be based away from your hometown. Mine is in Bangalore. He can be quite useful in resolving any conflict with the dealer (hope you won't need that).

That’s my 2 cents. Don’t mind the “gyan” from a 57 year old !! That’s all we do at this age.

Happy ownership and thousands of kilometeres of hassle free driving.
Thank you so much Sir, for the advice. These are indeed some good pointers which i will take care of.
Like you said, I have been following the ownership threads of xuv here on teambhp very religiously. Some of the threads like that of debuda, i have read so many times that i will be able to write an exam on it

Every point mentioned by you will surely be helpful after my xuv arrives. Regarding the dealership and maintaining a giod relation with them-i too think the same and i belong to jammu which is a very small city where everybody knows evervody through somebody . So i know the dealer here and i guess i should be able to make the mos out of him if the need be.
Also,somehere I read that M&M does not provide you the convenience of an RM anymore, it is only for rexton now. Is this true? It would be great if you could share something you know about this.
Thank you again or your advice

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Mod Note : Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 25th September 2013 at 15:38. Reason: Removed excess smileys & full post quote
Andy_torque133 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 13:12   #4840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_torque133 View Post
Also,somehere I read that M&M does not provide you the convenience of an RM anymore, it is only for rexton now. Is this true? It would be great if you could share something you know about this.
Andy, I too never had an RM. My situation is peculiar since I bought my vehicle in Mumbai, but nowadays stay in Manipal, and service centre is in Mangalore, 65 kms away. The SA is usually good enough, and there are many advantages of a small place that you pointed out. I liase with the Area Manager of M&M who's based in Bangalore. In fact it was he who informed the dealer that reverse horn can be enabled. You can obtain his contacts from customer service.
Old 25th September 2013, 13:21   #4841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
Andy, I too never had an RM. My situation is peculiar since I bought my vehicle in Mumbai, but nowadays stay in Manipal, and service centre is in Mangalore, 65 kms away. The SA is usually good enough, and there are many advantages of a small place that you pointed out. I liase with the Area Manager of M&M who's based in Bangalore. In fact it was he who informed the dealer that reverse horn can be enabled. You can obtain his contacts from customer service.
Thanks again . Will try to get the contact of Area Manager and will get in touch with him.
Right now the excitement level of laying my hand at my xuv is blowing out of the top. Infact i have been having dreams lately about me driving it on clear stretches :P. All day i am glued either here or watching te videos of xuv. I have booked mine in white so i am looking at all the pictures of white xuv over the internet. How, i wish the interiors weren't beige :(
Andy_torque133 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 15:14   #4842
BHPian

I am sorry Heavy Horse Sir and all others for being over inquisitive about things but then i could resist myself from asking this. Recently i got a call from another mahindra dealership in my city (the one with whom i have not booked my car). The guy over the phone was asking me about my plans about buying an XUV and i thought ,let me see if he has the w8 in white readily available and gives me a better deal. So i said though i was planning to buy my car during Navratras but i don't mind buying if you have the car available. He just checked his inventory and informed me that the car is available and i can come and have a look. Anyways, i do not want my car before 4th and the other dealer with whom i have booked my car is a friend , so i was ok, told them i would come whenever i get time. But what baffled me is when he said " Sir you should buy xuv before next month because the prices for xuv are rising next month onward". Any of you here has any knowledge about this price hike? or is it just a bluff those guys are playing so that people book their car asap. This dealership is very new and has just opened a few days back, so i wont be surprised if they want an initial surge in sale in order to establish themselves better. But if what they say turns out to be true - I will be doomed. My heart says that with the likes of Ecosport capturing the market - M&M can not even consider a 1 Re. price hike in the near future and disappoint the prospective customers at this juncture.The sales of xuv have normalized now and they dont have that peak season going anymore, so an increase in price IMHO doesnt seem plausible.

Also the attitude of the SA reminded me of the early days of XUV:
Me: Are you offering any accessories for free?
SA: Sir car hi milna bahut badi baat hai, accessories to door ki cheez hai.
Me: Itna bhi waiting nahi hai XUV ka ab.
SA: Sir bahut waiting hai abhi.
Me: Isliye 3-4 din se mujhe roz call kar rahe ho?
SA: Hehehe
But yes he is offering me a 50% discount on insurance as per some scheme which he says is going on, so he says insurance amount would be 28k (zero-dep). The dealer with whom i have booked my car also gave a discount and agreed on 40k which is 12k more than this guy. Damn confused!!!
Old 25th September 2013, 16:15   #4843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
I applied brakes but as we all know brakes are not that great to talk about in XUV, hence i almost went into figo, but then i took a sharp right turn in order to avoid hitting figo. Tyres screamed like hell but my car stayed on road and came out brilliantly out of this mess.

One thing for sure, if it would have been a ladder on chassis SUV, then i surely would have turned turtle. It was the brilliant handling of XUV that saved me and that Figo. Just hoped that brakes too would have been good like handling
Believe that is the ESP that kicked in to save you, your car, the figo and also prevent your car from turning turtle.

I also had a similar experience recently except the culprit was a goat that ran into the middle of the highway while I was doing 120+. I was expecting the goat to be in the menu at any nearby hotel as mutton chops and my XUV with some frontal damage, but just went perfectly around the goat, the way I had seen on some youtube ESP demonstration videos. I checked out the goat on my rear view mirror as I drove off and there it was still standing in the middle of the road without losing even a single strand of fur . I am still not sure how I made it happen, except it happened and I trust it was the so called ESP that kicked in.

FundaG
Old 25th September 2013, 16:43   #4844
BHPian

Quote:
Believe that is the ESP that kicked in to save you, your car, the figo and also prevent your car from turning turtle.

I also had a similar experience recently except the culprit was a goat that ran into the middle of the highway while I was doing 120+. I was expecting the goat to be in the menu at any nearby hotel as mutton chops and my XUV with some frontal damage, but just went perfectly around the goat, the way I had seen on some Youtube ESP demonstration videos. I checked out the goat on my rear view mirror as I drove off and there it was still standing in the middle of the road without losing even a single strand of fur . I am still not sure how I made it happen, except it happened and I trust it was the so called ESP that kicked in.

FundaG
As far as I know, Nitin's car is a W6. So it does not come with ESP as standard. In his case I guess it was just pure balance and stability of the XUV and his driving skill of course!!!
Sisu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 18:28   #4845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I also had a similar experience recently except the culprit was a goat that ran into the middle of the highway while I was doing 120+. I was expecting the goat to be in the menu at any nearby hotel as mutton chops and my XUV with some frontal damage, but just went perfectly around the goat, the way I had seen on some Youtube ESP demonstration videos. I checked out the goat on my rear view mirror as I drove off and there it was still standing in the middle of the road without losing even a single strand of fur . I am still not sure how I made it happen, except it happened and I trust it was the so called ESP that kicked in.

FundaG
As Sisu said, mine is W6 and does not have ESP, so it was pure handling of XUV and my driving skills, after all "Ralli" gene's are in me
nitinralli is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed