Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2013, 10:07   #5086
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk016 View Post
This left pulling issue, I've only heard consistently for XUV5OO. I don't know why. And more specifically, why only left? My brand new xuv also started pulling left after 500 kms!!! Of course I got it sorted within a few hours, but this just says a lot about Mahindra standards of PDI.
How did you get this resolved ? Is it something to do with wheel alignment ? For me, it is very light in nature and can be managed for another 1.5K kms, I guess. However, if the resolution is easy, would like to take it to the SC.
Old 6th November 2013, 10:38   #5087
BHPian

This left pulling thing has been on for ages and Mahindra hasn't been able to give a convincing reason for this behavior. Mine was also pulling to the left and after the first wheel rotation, the vehicle stayed it's course. The mechanics themselves didn't know about the root cause, but knew that tyre rotation sometimes solved the issue.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 13:47   #5088
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra XUV500 W4 launched at Rs 10.83 lakh.( ex-showroom Mumbai)

Quote:
New XUV500 W4 variant comes with the same engine and kit like dual airbags, projector headlamps, ABS with EBD and remote central locking among others.

Standard kit on the W4 variant includes projector headlamps with LEDs, dual airbags, ABS with EBD, disc brakes all round, tilt-adjustable power steering, electric wing mirrors, and remote central locking, a six-way adjustable driver’s seat and foldable second and third row seats.
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...kh-363271.aspx

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th November 2013 at 13:49.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 14:28   #5089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Mahindra XUV500 W4 launched at Rs 10.83 lakh.( ex-showroom Mumbai)
Yes, finally the W4 variant has been launched

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-xuv-w4.jpg

http://www.mahindraxuv500.com/
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 14:44   #5090
Senior - BHPian

^^They've mentioned it as introductory price, Price hike in near future?? Probably, Yes, If they do increase, then the difference between w4 and w6, would not be worth it, Rather one will get w6 as it offers quite a good number of gadgets.

Or maybe, Who knows, They might hike prices across the range.
Old 6th November 2013, 15:15   #5091
Senior - BHPian

This was more or less the price at which the W6 was launched. M&M have done well for themselves by being able to increase prices regularly and now with the cut price model coming at the same price and given the volumes they are doing, the W4 could be as profitable as the W6 or W8. This should definetly tempt many Duster/Terrano or even Ecosport buyers
Old 6th November 2013, 17:02   #5092
Distinguished - BHPian

So, to drop the prices by ~1 lakh Mahindra deleted -

Static-bending headlamps
6” monochrome infotainment display
2 tweeters on dashboard
DIS in-built in infotainment system
Intellipark
Rain sensing wipers
Light sensing headlamps
Glass embedded antenna
Front fog lamps
Cladding strips
Cubic-printed central console with metal accents
Fully Automatic Temperature Control (FATC)
Steering controls
Driver side express down - power window
Reading lamps -1st row only vs all 3 rows on W6
Conversation mirror
Mobile charging points 1st row only vs all 3 rows on w6
Illuminated key rings
Puddle lamps
Entry assist lamp
Door ajar lamps
Camping lamp

Good to see that you still get ABS, EBD, Airbags - they didn't cut corners there.

And by the way, W4 is available only in Silver and Black.
Dry Ice is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 17:18   #5093
BHPian

According to the official website, W4 don't even have power windows, is it true? That's really bad for a car costing 10+ lakh.

Last edited by DRIVE_ADDICT : 6th November 2013 at 17:22.
Old 6th November 2013, 17:34   #5094
BHPian

I have seen the comparison between the models and the below one is confusing for me, does it say that “power windows are not available” in W4 or does it say only “express down” option isn’t available.
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-w4.jpg
IndianNomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 18:01   #5095
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Price hike in near future?? Probably, Yes
The other day, I was discussing with XUV500 Experience Executive of India Garage, Chennai, about the next price hike. He informed me that usually Mahindra hikes the prices in January followed by incorporation of tax adjustments after the state/Central budgets.

Old 6th November 2013, 18:03   #5096
BHPian

^^@ Indian Nomad and Drive Addict - The website just means that Express down is not available. Mahindra will not skip this basic feature after giving all other features like Music system, remote locking, projectors etc in W4. Moreover, XUV5OO is their premium product and they will not dilute it too much by not giving power windows itself. Even the Scorpio LX has power windows.

Last edited by wanderer4x4 : 6th November 2013 at 18:05.
wanderer4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 19:08   #5097
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
This is surely a niggle in XUV.

But then there is a reason for the infotainment not showing which door is open when the engine is started like in Punto's MID. Which is there only to show such info/alerts at all times and not affect any other user operations. On the other hand, XUV infotainment system is the all in one unit not limited to just show info or alerts . If the door open message keeps showing everytime a door is opened it can be a headache for some one who is using the infotainment system to select a song or set the navigation or check the other info related to the car. Something which most drivers would be doing on entering a car. And the door open pop ups would be an interruption.

In XUV, the infotainment system has a "!" icon, which comes on in case of any issue including door open. And clicking on the icon would provide details of the issue. So one possibility is having this alert icon in the infotainment screen ON when the engine is started, to indicate if a door is open . Which again can be confusing with this icon switching ON/OFF everytime a door is opened and closed. And the chances of missing some other important alert. So this job is done by the indicator light in the diwali cluster. That said, I would surely like to have an option to see the door open details within the Car Info section or some related section in the infotainment system. The moment one sees the car open indicator ON in the diwali cluster, we could use this option to check which door is open. Rather than move the car for a short distance and realise the left back door is open, requiring me to stop the car, step out and close it properly.

FundaG
I am not sure I understood it fully but a few notes from my end.
* The instrument cluster shows a general door open sign when the engine is started and one or more doors are open. It goes with the assumption that you are not moving and hence you know what you are doing. Anyways, there is no need to go bonkers with alerts at this stage since there is no reason why a door can't open in a stationary car even though the engine is running.

* The moment the car's gear is engaged and it starts running you will hear the ding sound in the infotainment console with a brief flash of the issue which will disappear but the alert sign at the bottom will come alive. If you click this sign you will be very clearly informed of the particular door that is open

I think this is a perfect system in itself. No one starts flying off the kerb the moment they engage the gear. And the alert of the actual door that is open flashes almost immediately once the car starts moving (just as the bonnet open and other alerts also do).

Last edited by Zappo : 14th November 2013 at 18:32.
Zappo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 19:57   #5098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
* The instrument cluster shows a general door open sign when the engine is started and one or more doors are open.

* The moment the car's gear is engaged and it starts running you will hear the ding sound in the infotainment console with a brief flash of the issue which will disappear but the alert sign at the bottom will come alive.

I think this is a perfect system in itself. No one starts flying off the curb the moment they engage the gear. And the alert of the actual door that is open flashes almost immediately once the car starts moving (just as the bonnet open and other alerts also do).
+1. Sometimes the problem with us guys is that we expect too much. The problem is that, if we are used to particular way of doing things, a change in that pattern is tough for us to accommodate.

I'm in no way saying that all M&M has done is perfect but to crib about everything is sad.

Recently my Co brother had a trip with Royal Enfield to Tibet. There were couple of well known guys from Auto Magazine industry. I'll not take their names. So while discussing about XUV500, they had following views :

This is one hell of VFM product.

Yes the initial batches had issues but almost all were sorted by M&M .

They say for that particular price range this is the best vehicle.

MHawk engines are reliable and have seen several scorpio's of above 3 Lac km without any engine overhauling.

One guy( Enthusiastic and known for his speed runs) told he was looking forward for a XUV purchase.

Regarding the XUV Niggles thread they were of the view some comments are amateurish in nature and thus hurts the company and keeps away new buyers from XUV. Still get queries from friend whether facing niggles as reported in this thread. So far, If I'm unhappy it is about the rattling & suspension thuds, may be because of the pristine conditions of Kerala roads . Else it has been a blissful entertainment, with the kind of addictive acceleration and assurance it gives wrt to safety which is paramount to me.

Also as GTO had mentioned in one of his posts, if rattling bothers you, just raise the sound volume of the music system.

OT : They even had discussion about Team BHP. They were of the view that this online portal has really helped in giving steady and good views about the industry. The manufactures have deputed guys to monitor this portal.

I've first hand experience about this. I had recently posted about my 20K service and got a call from my service centre that M&M XUV team wanted to know more about the issue I had faced, which was mentioned in that particular post.

BTW I find myself in Sachin's Shoe. Both of us are @ 199, in my case 199 Posts.

Last edited by Zappo : 14th November 2013 at 18:32. Reason: Only two emoticons in a post please.
Vasuki is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 00:51   #5099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
* The instrument cluster shows a general door open sign when the engine is started and one or more doors are open. It goes with the assumption that you are not moving and hence you know what you are doing. Anyways, there is no need to go bonkers with alerts at this stage since there is no reason why a door can't open in a stationary car even though the engine is running.

* The moment the car's gear is engaged and it starts running you will hear the ding sound in the infotainment console with a brief flash of the issue which will disappear but the alert sign at the bottom will come alive. If you click this sign you will be very clearly informed of the particular door that is open

I think this is a perfect system in itself. No one starts flying off the curb the moment they engage the gear. And the alert of the actual door that is open flashes almost immediately once the car starts moving (just as the bonnet open and other alerts also do).
Neither am I looking at the infotainment system to go bonkers with alerts everytime the doors are opened when stationary. That would be . Was looking to have an option in the software to check which door is open, if the door ajar indicator in the cluster is blinking. This option could be placed with the Car info tab or something to be accessed manually like accessing the mileage information.

The reason why I dont think it is the perfect system in the first place.
There is the indicator on the cluster to inform you about a door being open which is the cue to go around checking which door is open before commencing the journey. My previous car also had the door open indicator but no system to indicate which door and I dint mind going around. Now if XUV has this feature of showing the culprit door, why not provide an option to see this information before moving the car. Else it is the same as in my previous car with me running around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
+1. Sometimes the problem with us guys is that we expect too much. The problem is that, if we are used to particular way of doing things, a change in that pattern is tough for us to accommodate.

I'm in no way saying that all M&M has done is perfect but to crib about everything is sad.

Think there has been a misunderstanding here. I was only clarifying the difference between the working of Punto's MID vs XUV's infotainment.

However, just comparing the actions required for both options -- to know the info of the culprit door and thereby
Current :
Start the car>move>check infotainment>park the car>step out(if passenger doors)>close culprit door>step back in and continue journey
VS
Recommended :
Start the car>check infotainment>step out(if passenger doors)>close culprit door>step back in and continue journey

Now I would on any given day prefer the 2nd option. And am sure M&M can make it happen with some changes in the software especially with the system in place. Hence dont see this as a huge expectation, since once implemented properly it improves both the system as well as the safety. And if cribbing is the only way to get it done, so be it.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 02:01   #5100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk016 View Post
This left pulling issue, I've only heard consistently for XUV5OO. I don't know why. And more specifically, why only left? My brand new xuv also started pulling left after 500 kms!!! Of course I got it sorted within a few hours, but this just says a lot about Mahindra standards of PDI.
There maybe various reasons for the car to pull left. But one common underlying fact is that mainly Mahindra vehicles have these issues. Not saying that this left pull issue is not there in other vehicles but the percentage is very high for Mahindra. In some cases, these issues dont get resolved even after wheel alignment, rotation and what not. If a survey is done of all vehicles pulling to left, Mahindra would win hands down. I dont owe an XUV so cant comment on that. But from my previous experience of owing a Mahindra vehicle, I can tell you that this issue exist in many of their old vehicles as well. Two common issues are Vehicle pulling to left, Steering vibration after a particular speed limit or at a specific speed.

If you check various thread on teambhp itself, you would see one or the other user has highlighted this concern across different product.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks