Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2011, 05:08   #511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh
Mahindra is Known for notorious price hikes of their models. Case in example is Xylo since 2009 there has been 15% price increase as of October 2011 for same BSIII version with No value additions.

Will Mahindra increase XUV 5oo prices in similar Xyloprice hike pattern or even more steeper?
Wow! I knew of Mahindra's creep effect in their prices, but didn't know it has been so steep! And you bet they will follow the same trend with the XUV as well. With Parm's update about a Diwali Dhamaka from Tata, they might stick to their introductory prices for the moment, but beginning next year or latest next financial, the creep will begin.

Pretty sneaky from Mahindra, actually. I had pointed out that the XUV prices are introductory, but we are still going nuts over the XUV as a community. IMHumbleO, we should reign it in and update the Review once the prices finally do increase.
Old 20th October 2011, 09:21   #512
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero View Post
Somehow can't find this video. Where is it?
See post by Humyum

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
There is a video on Youtube about some auto journalist in an XUV500 nudging the 190 mark. Worth a watch.

Mahindra XUV500 top speed - YouTube

Shows what a master product Mahindra has made.
That would be us (bunny punia, driving and Bobby Roy, shooting)
BunnyPunia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 09:48   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
When you paid the advance / full money they would have given you a receipt that metions the model and color chosen + accessories opted if any. What does that challan say ? If it says AWD, then you can even sue the dealer.

Let us know what is the entry on the Challan.

Dr Jones - What status does the Mahindra SAP system tell ? Even if you book on the first day, are you sure the dealer placed the order on the same day itself ? Your status should be updated in the SAP system. Could you post a screenshot of SAP system for us to decipher the same ?
Hello Mr.Bharath,
Thanks a lot for the concern, just yesterday got the message that my 500 delivery date is 11/01/2012. Iam not much upset since I feel getting a year newer model is better. Thanks.
Dr.Jones
Old 20th October 2011, 09:53   #514
BHPian

I saw the XUV on the road in front of the showroom, when I was driving by and I was bit disappointed by the size because I was reading it was seven seating. I am on the side who says strictly that XUV is a five seating. The looks were good and it had a good road presences.

I am thinking on what would be the response of Ford and Chevy for this XUV, they have good SUVs in NA. Ford Escape/Edge and Chevy Traverse (7 seating) with good boat space will be a good match for 11 – 13L segment. After driving enclave (Buick version Traverse) in Grand Canyon, I was very much impressed, even though we were driving only two wheel drive. We were able to do good amount of speed even in that stone roads in those area.
I wish they bring at least the chevy version to India.
Old 20th October 2011, 09:57   #515
MCR
BHPian

Saw the XUV500 in flesh for the first time yesterday evening.
There is a display vehicle at BIAL arrival lounge. It looks simply stunning.
The paint quality is simply superb.

Have dropped my Vcard for a TD. Now waiting with my fingers crossed.
Old 20th October 2011, 10:13   #516
BHPian

Just got a call from the SA on my booking, and the date of delivery is 15th Feb 2012. He says , it can get better, but it will not become later than that. Its great since the original timeline given to me was 29 weeks....
Looks like Mahindra is getting the mess back under control.
Old 20th October 2011, 10:48   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_sage View Post
Me too, and I think they've really made a mess of things. I checked my receipt, luckily mine does say W8 FWD Moondust silver.
Update : got a call from the XUV advisor about 10 mins back telling me that the booking form was filled by me (my handwriting) and it mentions "AWD" , however the top sheet which was filled by the order processing person mentions W8 FWD and thus the confusion.
Damn, I am so relieved to know that Mahindra took the pain of getting to the bottom of things rather than overlooking what the customer had to say.
However, the issue still remains : if I agree to take the FWD, I get the delivery by 25th, else I have to wait for (new timeline agreed yday by the Mahindra management) 6 MONTHS for the AWD.
Guys given that my knowledge of AWD/4*4 is limited :
1. Does the AWD handle better in normal driving conditions?
2. Will AWD make the vehicle more stable on highways with potholes/undulations ?
3. Given that I would mostly be travelling to hill stations, one trip to Leh for sure, and regular city/highway driving, would the AWD make a major difference (or is it just my ego that I would be pleasing by getting an AWD)
4. Lastly, don't think I will be buying a SUV again and wanted to get the best out of this first buy (head Vs Heart I guess), what's your take?
Many thanks in advance
Cheers
Old 20th October 2011, 10:52   #518
BHPian

Hi Sid,

Even we booked through sterling motor on 1st Oct and the first call that we received was after 15 days of booking. Same lady same script. At the end all that she communicated was that even M&M hasn't got the idea when they will deliver the XUV to us.

I think now seeing the mayhem all around, all that once could do is to keep the fingers crossed and wait for the miracle to happen..
Still waiting to hear that heavenly voice that confirms "You has been assigned xxxx date for delivery".

Till then the agonizing wait continues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidwadia View Post
I got my booking done through Sterling Motor Co, Gurgaon.
Just checked my booking receipts :
Remarks : BEING AMT. REC. AGAINST BOOKING FOR XUV 500 W8 7STR F.BLACK

It actually doesnt mention AWD at all

Can all other members who have booked from Sterling Motor Co, gurgaon confirm if their booking receipts mention AWD specifically?

Not sure what I can do now!
Old 20th October 2011, 11:05   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Does the AWD handle better in normal driving conditions?
2. Will AWD make the vehicle more stable on highways with potholes/undulations ?
3. Given that I would mostly be travelling to hill stations, one trip to Leh for sure, and regular city/highway driving, would the AWD make a major difference (or is it just my ego that I would be pleasing by getting an AWD)
4. Lastly, don't think I will be buying a SUV again and wanted to get the best out of this first buy (head Vs Heart I guess), what's your take?
Many thanks in advance
Cheers
In the first place, there is some confusion about the nature of 4X4 in the XUV. It is not clear if it really an AWD (where all 4 wheels are drivel at all times) or a real time 4WD (which drives as FWD in normal situations and sends torque to rear wheels if there is a wheel-spin at the front). It is most probably the later but the naming (i.e. AWD) is misleading.

If it is a real AWD, it will handle better and will certainly help you in the conditions you have have mentioned. Even if it is real time 4WD, it will be handy in slippery conditions.
Old 20th October 2011, 11:44   #520
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
In the first place, there is some confusion about the nature of 4X4 in the XUV. It is not clear if it really an AWD (where all 4 wheels are drivel at all times) or a real time 4WD (which drives as FWD in normal situations and sends torque to rear wheels if there is a wheel-spin at the front). It is most probably the later but the naming (i.e. AWD) is misleading.

If it is a real AWD, it will handle better and will certainly help you in the conditions you have have mentioned. Even if it is real time 4WD, it will be handy in slippery conditions.
Hi Guna,

I did some research on this when booking the XUV5OO, and found out that the XUV has a electromechanical clutch based system (similar to my Yeti), which is an on-response 4x4 system. Technically speaking, it is not really All time All-wheel drive and will give torque to the rear wheels only when there is slip detected and in city conditions, will function mostly as a FWD.
This should get through most mild off-road conditions, similar to what the Yeti can manage (GC is better at 205 vs 180 for the Yeti though), but definitely will not be able to do what a full time 4WD like a Fortuner or Gypsy can do.
I did however read somewhere that there is a Centre differential locking button available in the AWD version in the XUV, but could not verify this, as there were no AWD XUVs available for TD / Display anywhere. Mahindra also has an extreme shortage of AWD units and people who have booked AWD are being given 6 months delivery lead times (seems like Mahindra had not yet completed the development / production planning for this model).

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 11:55   #521
BHPian

Thought to share with you, few minutes ago i got a call SR (Bangalore) saying sir car will be avilable on 4th Dec 2011 (booked on 3rd Oct 2011 and later on 5th Oct i change color from Silver to White) but color will be remain unchange ... (silver)

Team Please help !!!!

Which color you will choose between White & Silver .......
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img2011100400158.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img2011100200148.jpg  

Last edited by Tushargohil : 20th October 2011 at 12:23.
Old 20th October 2011, 12:01   #522
Senior - BHPian

Saw the XUV near Silkboard flyover yesterday. Other than the intimidating front XUV looks really small. It was Sireesh auto's test drive vehicle. May be some killer bling alloys will change the exterior looks. Rear looked awkward and out of proportion.
Old 20th October 2011, 12:21   #523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update : got a call from the XUV advisor about 10 mins back telling me that the booking form was filled by me (my handwriting) and it mentions "AWD" , however the top sheet which was filled by the order processing person mentions W8 FWD and thus the confusion.

Damn, I am so relieved to know that Mahindra took the pain of getting to the bottom of things rather than overlooking what the customer had to say. - Good to hear they are improving

However, the issue still remains : if I agree to take the FWD, I get the delivery by 25th, else I have to wait for (new timeline agreed yday by the Mahindra management) 6 MONTHS for the AWD. - Go for the FWD, given your requirements you will not be disappointed and feel the need for the AWD.

Guys given that my knowledge of AWD/4*4 is limited :

1. Does the AWD handle better in normal driving conditions? - You will not be able to feel the difference

2. Will AWD make the vehicle more stable on highways with potholes/undulations ? - No noticable difference

3. Given that I would mostly be travelling to hill stations, one trip to Leh for sure, and regular city/highway driving, would the AWD make a major difference (or is it just my ego that I would be pleasing by getting an AWD) - No, unless you are on a slippery / icy road or on dirt track (Frankly it is our ego we please)

4. Lastly, don't think I will be buying a SUV again and wanted to get the best out of this first buy (head Vs Heart I guess), what's your take? - Always go for the heart, "Ye Jindagi Na Mile Dobara", one downside, once you are used to the comforts and the bossism of a SUV you may find it difficult to go back to a Hatch or sedan.

Many thanks in advance
Cheers
Good for you. My comments inline in bold
m_upreti is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 12:37   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushargohil View Post
Thought to share with you, few minutes ago i got a call SR (Bangalore) saying sir car will be avilable on 4th Dec 2011 (booked on 3rd Oct 2011 and later on 5th Oct i change color from Silver to White) but color will be remain unchange ... (silver)

Team Please help !!!!

Thushar,My Choice is Silver
Old 20th October 2011, 12:55   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushargohil View Post

Team Please help !!!!

Tushar: Go for Silver- I saw at the showroom all the goon and politician type people were thronging the white color one (with due respect to fellow BHPians who chose white over other colors) and Silver color was attracting the plush crowd- I have seen both the vehicles on road- Guess people are getting biased towards white seeing lots of T Forts in white which look good but when it comes to this one, Silver is the colour, believe me on that. Immense road presence, looks neat, is a definite thumbs up!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks