Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2013, 20:34   #5236

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
If the vehicle is coming to a lower gear / neutral on its own then the issue is a serious one. Seems that the retaining rings in the gear box are either broken or defective. I had the same issue with my Scorpio and the gear box had to be replaced.

Please do not take this issue lightly as I narrowly escaped a frontal collision of while overtaking at a speed of around 80 KMPH and my car slipped into neutral and the bus coming from the front just swerved in time to avoid hitting me.
Than you. I shall check on the same soon and keep the forum updated. By the way checked the cruise control yesterday and it worked flawlessly

Live young Live free!!!
Old 1st December 2013, 14:48   #5237
BHPian

ORVM DAMAGE

Just wanted to share my experience. While overtaking an auto, noticed an Innova coming from the other side. Thought there was adequate space for me to complete the manouvre. Unfortunately the driver side ORVMs touched, and mine slammed back (as designed), but I noticed that the orientation of the mirror had changed. I continued driving, too shocked and shattered to even roll down the window and check, leave alone stopping, mentally writing off Rs 8 to 9k.

On reaching home, gingerly stepped out to inspect the damage. The body coloured cover had dropped off. Otherwise, things looked ok. On checking found everything working. Re-oriented the mirror; checked the swivel in-out motion and also the one-time in-out button. All fine. So also the turn indicator, except that there was a small crack and looking closely found that a small plastic chip had fallen off leaving a gap.

Called the SA. Initial response was that the entire assembly had to be changed. Slept on that for a couple of days. Called up SA again and asked him if he could ask around for a silver coloured mirror cover, maybe from some accident vehicle. After a week, with a couple of follow-ups in between, SA called me to say that one mirror cover had been located. Went to SS and got that fixed. No charges . Also changed the turn indicator (Rs 806.99) and the entry assist lamp assembly (Rs 151.09) for a total of Rs 958.08.

Big savings there ! So just ask around and one can avoid a big phatka. Hope this experience helps others.
Heavy Horse is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 22:41   #5238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post
Congrats and all the very best! Awaiting your ownership thread / reviews. Black or Moon Dust Silver? Would love to see pictures of the interior and dash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manasmadaan View Post
Congrats.. Probably 1st W4 here. Do post detailed pictures especially interiors
Uploading a few photos:

SDP has covered most of the significant changes for W4, one of the most obvious change which was not mentioned by the Sales person or any reviews is the Gear indicator is missing along with the temperature gauge in the dashboard Instrument Control.

Also no accessories are available now, I wanted a reverse Assist but need to wait. I will post all the details in my ownership thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-dsc_1508.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-dsc_1510.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-dsc_1509.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-dsc_1512.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-dsc_1513.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-dsc_1516.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-dsc_1518.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-dsc_1519.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-dsc_1522.jpg  

tirthankard77 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 17:43   #5239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirthankard77 View Post
Uploading a few photos:

SDP has covered most of the significant changes for W4, one of the most obvious change which was not mentioned by the Sales person or any reviews is the Gear indicator is missing along with the temperature gauge in the dashboard Instrument Control.
The black masking on the pillars as well as the bumpers have gone as well.

Anyways, I have made a comparo of the spare part prices of the XUV5OO and the Storme. XUV's prices have been personally collected by me from the A.S.S., whereas Storme's prices have been collected from another automotive forum where a member collected it from Tata's A.S.S.

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-spare-prices.jpg

Storme 2 denotes a difference in pricing for some of the parts. The right most two columns denotes a massive difference in the XUV and Storme's spare part prices, if clutch is ignored, since XUV's clutch is pretty expensive.

Also, comparison of service intervals - according to M&M latest service schedule,

Engine oil & oil filter-

XUV5OO: Every 20000 kms
Storme: Every 15000 kms
Innova: Every 10000 kms

Air filter-

XUV5OO: Every 40000 kms
Storme: Every 45000 kms
Innova: Every 30000 kms

Fuel Filter-

Storme: Every 30000 kms
Innova: Every 20000 kms

Coolant-

XUV5OO: 80000, 140000 and then every 60000 kms
Storme: Every 60000 kms
Innova: Every 40000 kms

Brake oil-

Last edited by raj_5004 : 2nd December 2013 at 17:45.
raj_5004 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 21:54   #5240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

[/b]
For some reason the silver color option without the black masking on the pillars and bumpers looks good, especially the bumpers...And the body coloured mud guards just makes it better.

FundaG

Last edited by fundagenie : 2nd December 2013 at 21:55.
Old 2nd December 2013, 22:35   #5241
BHPian

As we have already seen many W6/W8 variants of XUV500 with body cladding and black tapping, the W4 variant brings some freshness. It looks like a W6/W8 variant with special body kit. Only a closer examination can bring out actual differences. I think it is a good buy for those who are in market for buying a compact SUV or a family sedan.
Old 2nd December 2013, 23:45   #5242
Senior - BHPian

Now Silver color has brown interiors, earlier it was Black. Is this just with W4 or across the range?
Old 3rd December 2013, 07:58   #5243
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Now Silver color has brown interiors, earlier it was Black. Is this just with W4 or across the range?
It is restricted to W4, according to XUV500 website.

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-xuvcolours.jpg

http://mahindraxuv500.com/product/co...v500models.htm

Old 3rd December 2013, 10:47   #5244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
For some reason the silver color option without the black masking on the pillars and bumpers looks good, especially the bumpers...And the body coloured mud guards just makes it better.

FundaG
+1 I was a bit skeptical initially, but once I saw the car in person I was sure it has a very nice presence without the cladding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
As we have already seen many W6/W8 variants of XUV500 with body cladding and black tapping, the W4 variant brings some freshness. It looks like a W6/W8 variant with special body kit. Only a closer examination can bring out actual differences. I think it is a good buy for those who are in market for buying a compact SUV or a family sedan.
Yes so true, I for one have cancelled my Nissan Terrano booking, I did a pre launch booking on the 9th of September. I was about to close on a Red 85 ps XLD Plus, when the W4 was launched.
Old 3rd December 2013, 15:30   #5245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
ORVM DAMAGE Went to SS and got that fixed. No charges . Also changed the turn indicator (Rs 806.99) and the entry assist lamp assembly (Rs 151.09) for a total of Rs 958.08.

Big savings there ! So just ask around and one can avoid a big phatka. Hope this experience helps others.
Amazing timing sir!

I have managed to crack the transparent glass bit on my ORVM and on inquiry the SA said I need to replace the entire assembly (which is approximately 9800/- ).

So what you are saying is one can simply change the glass bit without changing the entire assembly?
reevester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 16:57   #5246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevester View Post
Amazing timing sir!

I have managed to crack the transparent glass bit on my ORVM and on inquiry the SA said I need to replace the entire assembly (which is approximately 9800/- ).

So what you are saying is one can simply change the glass bit without changing the entire assembly?
Absolutely correct. That turn indicator ALONE can be changed for a modest amount. Best of luck.
Heavy Horse is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 17:12   #5247
A.R
BHPian

Quote:
Can you please post the rear pics and have you installed the rear protector guard on the XUV? If yes, may be i can help as i too faced similar problem and the solution was fairly simple
@manasmadaan: Here are some pics of the rear portion of my car. Yes, I have those rear gaurds installed. Whats the solution please?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-xuv-rear-1.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-xuv-rear-2.jpg  

Old 3rd December 2013, 18:37   #5248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R View Post
@manasmadaan: Here are some pics of the rear portion of my car. Yes, I have those rear gaurds installed. Whats the solution please?
Actually I noticed that the problem with rear sensors as you mentioned started after I installed the rear guard. So first of all I went to the installer and asked him to slightly loosen the guard so that it comes a bit lower than where it was... This solved the problem to a large extentbut not fully.
Then one fine day I just took off all the plastic wrapping around the guard and the problem has not surfaced ever since.
Try it. Hopefully it will work for you too.
Old 3rd December 2013, 19:13   #5249
A.R
BHPian

Quote:
Actually I noticed that the problem with rear sensors as you mentioned started after I installed the rear guard. So first of all I went to the installer and asked him to slightly loosen the guard so that it comes a bit lower than where it was... This solved the problem to a large extentbut not fully.
Then one fine day I just took off all the plastic wrapping around the guard and the problem has not surfaced ever since.
Try it. Hopefully it will work for you too.
Ohh.. but the plastic wrapping was removed on day 1 when this was installed. The car is 6 months old but the problem started last week. It just happens sometimes, not always
Old 3rd December 2013, 20:25   #5250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

Anyways, I have made a comparo of the spare part prices of the XUV5OO and the Storme. XUV's prices have been personally collected by me from the A.S.S., whereas Storme's prices have been collected from another automotive forum where a member collected it from Tata's A.S.S.

Attachment 1173703

Storme 2 denotes a difference in pricing for some of the parts. The right most two columns denotes a massive difference in the XUV and Storme's spare part prices, if clutch is ignored, since XUV's clutch is pretty expensive.

Also, comparison of service intervals - according to M&M latest service schedule,

Engine oil & oil filter-

Storme: Every 15000 kms
Innova: Every 10000 kms

Air filter-

Storme: Every 45000 kms
Innova: Every 30000 kms

Fuel Filter-

Innova: Every 20000 kms

Coolant-

XUV5OO: 80000, 140000 and then every 60000 kms
Storme: Every 60000 kms

Brake oil-

Excellent post, raj_5004 thanks for your efforts.

After going through your post I got slightly uneasy and went through the Innova manual very very carefully. Here is what I got.

Fuel Filter: Replace every 80000 kms and not 20000 as you have mentioned (Page 338 of the Innova manual - for diesel Innova).

Coolant: Page 337 S.No-7 See Note 2 on Page 341 - First replace at 160000 km (96000 miles) then every 80000 km (48000 miles). and not every 40000 kms as you have mentioned.

Will you kindly mention the source of Innova figures you have got.

Thanks.

P.S: My source is Innova service manual Part No. 01999-0k147
01-1301-00

Most Viewed