Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2014, 20:16   #5506
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevester View Post
Speaking of Tires, when is the correct time to change them?

I've completed around 40,000 KM and will be getting her major servicing done soon.
Which one do you have JK, Bridgestone or Apollo? JK are hard rubber so they tend to last longer than Bridge as they are softer. Mine are JK's and i have completed 42K till now and i guess they are still good for another 10-12K
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
I plan to upgrade to alloys on my XUV W6 planned to be bought next month. However, Ranchi dealer says that they do not hold alloy stocks. I am interested in the stock alloys offered by Mahindra.

Is there any issue if I get the alloys installed later on from some other dealer? Will that make a difference in the exchange price?
If really want Mahindra alloys only then you can buy them from another dealer at later stage as well, no issues in it. But one thing i would let you know that after market alloys not only have options, but they are cheaper too, so think bout it.

Anyways how much are they costing you?
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 22:29   #5507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
If really want Mahindra alloys only then you can buy them from another dealer at later stage as well, no issues in it. But one thing i would let you know that after market alloys not only have options, but they are cheaper too, so think bout it.

Anyways how much are they costing you?
I think they cost about 32K for the stock alloys after exchange. I think the after market alloys would also cost the same. The design in particular is also good.
Old 24th January 2014, 23:06   #5508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
I think they cost about 32K for the stock alloys after exchange. I think the after market alloys would also cost the same. The design in particular is also good.
Well i got my alloys for 24K with balancing and alignment included. But if you really like mahindra design then go for it
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2014, 18:52   #5509
BHPian

I went for the first out of station drive on 15th and 16th Jan 2014 in my Artic Blue W8. A total of 821 KM. A flawless performance from the XUV500. Never exceeded 100 kmph based on the instructions while taking delivery. The vehicle returned a fuel efficiency of 14.2 km/lt based on Info panel readings.
The normal city drive here in Bangalore returns about 9.2 km/lt during peak hours and about 9.8 km/lt during early morning or late night traffic.
smahesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2014, 20:35   #5510
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_a_u_r_a_b_h View Post
On a completely different note, is XUV's turbocharger water cooled or oil cooled? I went through the "idling practice" thread for TC cars but couldn't find any concrete information regarding XUV's TC cooling design. Google didn't reveal much either.
Not heard about cooling of turbochargers but they are lubricated by engine oil. One of the reason why it is important to use manufacturer recommended engine oil as well as replace at specified intervals.

Coming to the point of idling practice , it is good practice to give about 10-20 secs idling time time after starting and before shutting down . The reason is that since the turbo is lubricated by engine, it will take a few seconds for the oil to reach the turbo, pushed by the oil pump in the engine.

The reason for idling time before shut down is due to the fact the turbo spins at very high speeds - upwards of 100000 RPM. Due to inertia , the turbo will take sometime to wind down, up to 10-20 secs. If the engine is shut down, the oil supply to turbo stops while it is still winding down. Hence it is recommended to idle for a while,

Advances in engineering, technology, materials and oils have made turbos robust and need not follow the above rules. However the fundamental principles remain same and it's up to the individual to follow the idling ritual.
Old 26th January 2014, 23:02   #5511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkingsley View Post
Not heard about cooling of turbochargers but they are lubricated by engine oil.
Turbochargers are indeed cooled - either by the engine oil flowing through them (which of course also acts as a lubricant) or by water flowing across its housing through dedicated ports. Since idling requirements for water cooled turbos are less stringent than oil cooled ones, I was interested in XUV's turbo cooling design.
Old 27th January 2014, 08:02   #5512
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_a_u_r_a_b_h View Post
Turbochargers are indeed cooled - either by the engine oil flowing through them (which of course also acts as a lubricant) or by water flowing across its housing through dedicated ports. Since idling requirements for water cooled turbos are less stringent than oil cooled ones, I was interested in XUV's turbo cooling design.
XUV turbo is cooled by the lubricating oil feed in to the turbo for its beraings
Old 27th January 2014, 08:24   #5513
BHPian

Thanks spkingsley. May I know the source - is it in the owner's manual or some online techspec?
Old 27th January 2014, 16:35   #5514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smahesh View Post
I went for the first out of station drive on 15th and 16th Jan 2014 in my Artic Blue W8. A total of 821 KM. A flawless performance from the XUV500. Never exceeded 100 kmph based on the instructions while taking delivery. The vehicle returned a fuel efficiency of 14.2 km/lt based on Info panel readings.
The normal city drive here in Bangalore returns about 9.2 km/lt during peak hours and about 9.8 km/lt during early morning or late night traffic.
That's a good long drive mileage on your new beast smahesh. Was this with the AC on or without? The best mine has done on a long drive so far was 12kmpl with 100% AC. (Readings based on the Infotainment again).
Old 28th January 2014, 03:20   #5515
BHPian

[quote=smahesh;3354386The vehicle returned a fuel efficiency of 14.2 km/lt based on Info panel readings.
The normal city drive here in Bangalore returns about 9.2 km/lt during peak hours and about 9.8 km/lt during early morning or late night traffic.[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViPo View Post
That's a good long drive mileage on your new beast smahesh. Was this with the AC on or without? The best mine has done on a long drive so far was 12kmpl with 100% AC. (Readings based on the Infotainment again).
The mileage was with AC on. Trip as from Bangalore to Thanjavur and Back. Left Bangalore at 3.15 AM and reached Thanjavur at 8.40 AM. Spent a day and returned the next day. Left at about 2 PM and reached Bangalore at 9 PM after an hour in Trichy.
Tried to use the GPS to find my way within Thanjavur and then to get out of Trichy and reach the Salem road. In both cases Google Maps on my mobile was better at giving the right directions!
smahesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 12:16   #5516
BHPian

Quote:
Tried to use the GPS to find my way within Thanjavur and then to get out of Trichy and reach the Salem road. In both cases Google Maps on my mobile was better at giving the right directions!
Using the GPS is a little tricky initially. Infact most of us would be trying to use it the way we do google maps. You need to understand the way the source, destination, via points etc are set in the navigation and once you get the hang of it, thinks would be really simple and effective. Also in the settings there are options to select the optimum route, shortest distance etc. So would suggest going through the navigation manual. I use it extensively during my trips and use google maps only in case of really crunch situations, which is very rare nowadays.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 17:54   #5517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Using the GPS is a little tricky initially. Infact most of us would be trying to use it the way we do google maps. You need to understand the way the source, destination, via points etc are set in the navigation and once you get the hang of it, thinks would be really simple and effective. Also in the settings there are options to select the optimum route, shortest distance etc. So would suggest going through the navigation manual. I use it extensively during my trips and use google maps only in case of really crunch situations, which is very rare nowadays.

FundaG
Quote:
The mileage was with AC on. Trip as from Bangalore to Thanjavur and Back. Left Bangalore at 3.15 AM and reached Thanjavur at 8.40 AM. Spent a day and returned the next day. Left at about 2 PM and reached Bangalore at 9 PM after an hour in Trichy.
Same here. I found out that Mapmyindia ignores bypass and leads us through the shortest path which may not be useful during daytime, due to which, encountered heavy traffic and thus shortest path took longest time. I experienced the same @Trichy, near Chidabaram etc. during my Trivandrum > Rameshwaram > Chidambaram > Trichy > Sreerangapattanam > Valparai > Alappuzha.

Last edited by Vasuki : 28th January 2014 at 17:59.
Vasuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 21:23   #5518
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I would be getting the XUV W8, from TVS motors Kochi.

They seem to be charging me ridiculous amount of money for following accessories. Is it worth going for it just because they are OE?

1. Chrome at 5 Places Rs.5800
2. Side Step - 14500
3. reverse cam - 10500

I am skeptical to take the vehicle outside for fitting reverse cam and stuff, because I am not sure if that would add to niggles to a vehicle which already very eager to throw up one.

They are offering 30000 cash discount or chose accessories worth the same and over pricing the same so as to make the discount nil, very smart I say.

Accessory shop 50meters from the showroom offered me below
1. Side Step - 8500
2. Reverse Cam - Xenos - 1800
3. 3D mat (Original ones,imported ones... Ya right I believe that) - 7000
Old 28th January 2014, 21:39   #5519
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrishiz View Post
Hi Guys,
I would be getting the XUV W8, from TVS motors Kochi.

They seem to be charging me ridiculous amount of money for following accessories. Is it worth going for it just because they are OE?

1. Chrome at 5 Places Rs.5800
2. Side Step - 14500
3. reverse cam - 10500

I am skeptical to take the vehicle outside for fitting reverse cam and stuff, because I am not sure if that would add to niggles to a vehicle which already very eager to throw up one.

They are offering 30000 cash discount or chose accessories worth the same and over pricing the same so as to make the discount nil, very smart I say.

Accessory shop 50meters from the showroom offered me below
1. Side Step - 8500
2. Reverse Cam - Xenos - 1800
3. 3D mat (Original ones,imported ones... Ya right I believe that) - 7000
Reverse-cam was about 3500Rs when I got it one and half year back. If at all, it should be cheaper now. Call the bluff and ask them to be reasonable about the accessories... drop the word 'customer-care'. If they don't budge, ask them to give you a printed quote for the accessories or the standard accessories price-list and take it up with customer-care. If nothing works, take the cash discount and go to another dealer for the accessories (after the delivery).

All the best.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 22:19   #5520
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrishiz View Post
Hi Guys, I would be getting the XUV W8, from TVS motors Kochi. They seem to be charging me ridiculous amount of money for following accessories. Is it worth going for it just because they are OE? 1. Chrome at 5 Places Rs.5800 2. Side Step - 14500 3. reverse cam - 10500 I am skeptical to take the vehicle outside for fitting reverse cam and stuff, because I am not sure if that would add to niggles to a vehicle which already very eager to throw up one. They are offering 30000 cash discount or chose accessories worth the same and over pricing the same so as to make the discount nil, very smart I say. Accessory shop 50meters from the showroom offered me below 1. Side Step - 8500 2. Reverse Cam - Xenos - 1800 3. 3D mat (Original ones,imported ones... Ya right I believe that) - 7000
Hi Hrishiz,
TVS motors at kochi might not budge for your price negotiations. More so because they do not have any competition within a 150 Km radius.

I had spoken in depth with the Sales executive there.
I had taken delivery in Chennai and the amount I paid for the above accessories as as below:
Side strip moulding- rs 3000
Side step- rs 9500
Reverse cam- rs 3500.

3D mats, I got it installed from Global (the same accessories shop you are referring to I believe).
They gave it to me for rs 6800.
This was in the beginning of December

Tvs charges rs 7500 and rs 10500 respectively for day vision and night vision cam I believe.
This is simply daylight robbery.

You can either follow the route as suggested by SDP.
Else, if you are planning a trip to chennai or Blore in near future, you can get it done from there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks