Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2014, 15:30   #5716
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baburajs View Post
I got my white XUV 500 W8 AWD last Thursday. Already clocked 1500 Kms and not issues till now. Falling in love with it every day. Have fixed the headrest monitors , Illuminated scuff plates , Rear Guard , rear view camera and side steps in to the beast .
Congrats mate. Regarding the headrest monitor, could you kindly show more light into it ? how much it cost? where you purchased and installed ? kindly share some pics . I am looking to install them too.
Old 26th March 2014, 22:42   #5717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Just curious about the "entire vehicle coating" part. I can understand if you are getting just the underbody (metal parts) coated with the chemical. How do they propose to coat the painted surfaces over the vehicle with anti-rust chemical?

Please share some more details.

This is very likely a paint-protection with 3M or Wurth anti-rust underbody coating that you are being offered/ sold.
I have been offered 3M underbody anti-rust 2 years warranty deal.

http://carcarestores.3mindia.co.in/Our-Services.aspx/9

The entire vehicle coating is applied on the underbody, outerbody, engine bay and door panels. The coating on the outerbody leaves a yellowish tinge on the vehicle. I have seen vehicles undergone the process.
Old 26th March 2014, 23:04   #5718
BHPian

I own a Purple W8, clocked 12000 incident free Kms till a few days back where i faced two hits in one day.And what I've learnt from these two hits is that this vehicle is built up like a Rock.
The first one happened in the narrow roads of Bandipur forest where an i20 was fighting for road space and his right rear wheel arch collided with my left wheel arch.The result was a huge dent on his where as i got away with a small scratch which went off after a rub.

The second happened on the same day where a Innova bumped into my right rear wheel arch while reversing and the result was a that the mudflap was dislodged a bit.

I am quite impressed, the car is comfortable,quiet,fast and the mahindra service is awesome.I hope it will serve me well for many more miles ahead.
DocRock is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th March 2014, 08:42   #5719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
Congrats mate. Regarding the headrest monitor, could you kindly show more light into it ? how much it cost? where you purchased and installed ? kindly share some pics . I am looking to install them too.
The Head rest monitors costed around 16.5 K . I will post the pictures shortly . It can plan DVD , USB etc . Has a FM transmitter so that we can connect to the Head unit if required.
Baburajs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2014, 09:27   #5720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
I do not recommend any coatings. My detailed views are at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2919980
debuda,
While I am not suggesting that these coats are a must have, I am not convinced by your argument that "If underbody and other so-called 'treatments' had been so important, wouldn't the car manufacturers themselves provided it in their million+ Rupee cars?" We all know that vendors will do any cost cutting as long as its not blatantly obvious regardless of whether supporting technology exists or not. So it's not a question of whether they _can_ or not, it's whether they will or not. Specially in the Indian market where quality standards are still emerging and things like coats etc. are part of long term durability and finesse, I don't expect manufacturers to follow all the best practices and hence not willing to trust them fully yet unless there is evidence otherwise. The fact that we have a close to 200 pages thread on xuv niggles which is a million+Rupees car is a testament to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Hi Folks!
The dealer has quoted 5.5k for 3M coating.
I got it done for 4.5 K at 3M Bangalore (HSR Layout) couple of weeks back. Warranty is for 5 years with 6 monthly free inspection.

Last edited by s_a_u_r_a_b_h : 27th March 2014 at 09:30.
s_a_u_r_a_b_h is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2014, 10:17   #5721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_a_u_r_a_b_h View Post
debuda,
We all know that vendors will do any cost cutting as long as its not blatantly obvious regardless of whether supporting technology exists or not. So it's not a question of whether they _can_ or not, it's whether they will or not.
Friend, if you have already got it done on your vehicle leave it and be happy with the investment. As I have experience in auto manufacturing set up, I explained my view. The above said under body coating is done at manufacturer end and not at vendor end. So the chances of quality issues are very rare.
MaxTorque is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2014, 10:19   #5722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Head rest monitors costed around 16.5 K . I will post the pictures shortly . It can plan DVD , USB etc . Has a FM transmitter so that we can connect to the Head unit if required.
Baburaj,

- is the given price for a pair or per piece ?
- are these self-contained units with built-in DVD player or do they take the video feed from the HU?
- if the video is connected via the HU, can it play video while car is in motion?

I know the 3rd question sounds pretty stupid, I am asking it because by default the XUV's headunit turns the video playback off when the car is in motion. AFAIK, this "inconvenience" (read great safety feature) is controlled by the software. Been wundering what changes they have made to make it possible to connect video monitors.
Old 27th March 2014, 12:03   #5723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Friend, if you have already got it done on your vehicle leave it and be happy with the investment. As I have experience in auto manufacturing set up, I explained my view. The above said under body coating is done at manufacturer end and not at vendor end. So the chances of quality issues are very rare.
Friend, the way you expressed your view, I did mine. And whether manufacturer or vendor, both will be in cost cutting mode, at least in India.
Old 27th March 2014, 12:26   #5724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Baburaj,

- is the given price for a pair or per piece ?
- are these self-contained units with built-in DVD player or do they take the video feed from the HU?
- if the video is connected via the HU, can it play video while car is in motion?

I know the 3rd question sounds pretty stupid, I am asking it because by default the XUV's headunit turns the video playback off when the car is in motion. AFAIK, this "inconvenience" (read great safety feature) is controlled by the software. Been wundering what changes they have made to make it possible to connect video monitors.
The price is for a pair
These are self contained units with built in DVD and usb players.
These are mahindra provided accessories ( Not produced by them though) and so no issues with Air bags etc. It is exactly the size of the same head rests. They provide us with new head rests with the LCD units and we can have our old head rests with us. So if something is of a problem we can always go back to our original head rests.
Baburajs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2014, 13:19   #5725
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The price is for a pair
These are self contained units with built in DVD and usb players.
These are mahindra provided accessories ( Not produced by them though) and so no issues with Air bags etc. It is exactly the size of the same head rests. They provide us with new head rests with the LCD units and we can have our old head rests with us. So if something is of a problem we can always go back to our original head rests.
Thanks for this info. Could you please post some pictures of the units please.
Old 27th March 2014, 15:57   #5726
BHPian

Hi Folks

I own a month old W4. During the demo, I was told that right side engine temperature gauge(of the two gauges which come as part of the twin pod meter console) has been disengaged for W4 models, and only the left one is active, displaying fuel level and mileage.

Today Autocar India has come up with a brief 'in picture' review of W4, and the photographs clearly show the temperature gauge to be functional. Here are the links to the same -

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-gal...77,10.aspx#pic
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-gal...177,8.aspx#pic

I have also not seen this difference being highlighted in the feature comparisons of W4, W6 and W8 models on the XUV website.

Fellow W4 owners are requested to share any information in this regard.
Old 27th March 2014, 22:14   #5727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatt View Post
Hi Folks

and only the left one is active, displaying fuel level and mileage.
Yeah...mine is 4 months old and there is no temp gauge.
Old 28th March 2014, 00:09   #5728
Senior - BHPian

Friends, I booked W8 FWD in Grey color today, the dealer had three pieces in their stock all Feb 2014 manufactured. Did PDI and finalized one of them.

Would like to thank Team Bhp and the owners of XUV here for the magnificent threads and Travelogues which helped in finalising it.

Got a cash discount of 11000, which is company discount, 20% off on insurance (approx 8000)and additional 5000 dealer discount. No free accessories from dealer. There were schemes of 15000 exchange bonus and 10000 loyalty discount, but didn't met any criteria.

Had an option to go for a second hand Rexton (Manual) 2013 done only 30000 kms at almost same price of w8 from an outside dealer but choose XUV after comparing pros and cons of both.

Last edited by Ym-enjn : 28th March 2014 at 00:12.
Old 28th March 2014, 19:14   #5729
BHPian

Anand Mahindra tweeted
@Vivek_Nayer: Check out these comments on XUV500 "@Sam_kings: The might of XUV500 http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/109469-mahindra-xuv500-test-drive-review-382.html#post3399603 …””

Heartening to see Anand Mahindra himself following this thread
crazyro is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th March 2014, 10:52   #5730
BHPian

No temperature gauge in W4.

Most Viewed