Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2014, 21:16   #5731
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatt View Post
Hi Folks

I own a month old W4. During the demo, I was told that right side engine temperature gauge(of the two gauges which come as part of the twin pod meter console) has been disengaged for W4 models, and only the left one is active, displaying fuel level and mileage.

Today Autocar India has come up with a brief 'in picture' review of W4, and the photographs clearly show the temperature gauge to be functional. Here are the links to the same -

www.autocarindia.com/auto-gallery/mahindra-xuv500-w4-up-close-376177,10.aspx#pic
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-gal...177,8.aspx#pic

Fellow W4 owners are requested to share any information in this regard.
Taken W4 on 26th March
No temperature gauge (what were the mahindra engineers drinking when they thought of this cost cutting measure)
No trip meter
Not able to switch off the irritating follow me home headlamps. (Everybody at the places I park keep pointing it out saar headlights on idhe)
Still unable to find a comfortable riding position. Will take time to get used to the thuds and hard clutch after 2 years of innova driving.
Will post a detailed review once I do my first 500K run
A simple comparison with innova would be like comparing tasmac alcohol with bangalore alcohol
Best regards
Bala
Old 29th March 2014, 22:23   #5732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balan View Post
Taken W4 on 26th March
No temperature gauge (what were the mahindra engineers drinking when they thought of this cost cutting measure)
No trip meter
Not able to switch off the irritating follow me home headlamps. (Everybody at the places I park keep pointing it out saar headlights on idhe)
Still unable to find a comfortable riding position. Will take time to get used to the thuds and hard clutch after 2 years of innova driving.
A simple comparison with innova would be like comparing tasmac alcohol with bangalore alcohol
Best regards
Bala
Trip meter is present, albeit carefully hidden to the right of the meter console. The temperature gauge shown in Autocar images must have been limited to the particular test vehicle. It is slightly irritating to be staring at a disengaged gauge which never lights up.
Old 30th March 2014, 00:05   #5733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Taken W4 on 26th March
No trip meter
Best regards
Bala
Sir dont blame people, just press lock button again (twice) to switch off follow me home lights, thats it.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2014, 08:19   #5734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Taken W4 on 26th March
No trip meter
Best regards
Bala
Firstly, IMHO one gets what one pays for. Complaining that M&M did not provide such and such thing on W4 is incorrect as there had to be difference amongst variants.
Infact the difference amongst variants is well justified.

Secondly, its very important to read the manual and take a detailed demo of all the features before taking delivery of tha vehicle. That would avoid the need for self exploring and blaming the company. Just a thought and dont want to offend anyone.
Old 30th March 2014, 10:15   #5735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Taken W4 on 26th March
No trip meter
Best regards
Bala
It saddens me you are disappointed with your new purchase : (.
I must ask though, Were you not aware of the particular variant you were buying? i.e. had a through go through of all the bells and whistles before booking it.

I personally am of the opinion that the XUV 500 by Mahindra is the only vehicle out there that offers tremendous value for money for all variants they are sold in. Usually it's the middle variant of a car that offers best bang for buck. I hope eventually you'll be able to find reasons to be happy with the car you've purchased balan .
Old 30th March 2014, 15:29   #5736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
It saddens me you are disappointed with your new purchase : (.
I must ask though, Were you not aware of the particular variant you were buying? i.e. had a through go through of all the bells and whistles before booking it.

I personally am of the opinion that the XUV 500 by Mahindra is the only vehicle out there that offers tremendous value for money for all variants they are sold in. Usually it's the middle variant of a car that offers best bang for buck. I hope eventually you'll be able to find reasons to be happy with the car you've purchased balan .
I am not disappointed. I knew what I was getting into. I had actually gone to the showroom to pickup a 2013 scorpio in stock (as I anticipate some heavy riding to areas where an innova cant go) and suddenly my wife saw this rate card of XUV500 and the XUV500 being her most wanted vehicle (mine is innova) the new W4 variant had a attractive price, just a bit more than the SLE variant of Scorpio as the sales guys were desperate for a year end sale and offered a good discount. Anyway I need to keep the wife happy. So ended up picking it. Not just the XUV500 but Scorpio is also value for money. Mahindra jam packs features into its vehicles to cover its other issues and makes the vehicles an attractive buy.
As after riding an innova and getting used to the comfort of it for last 1.9 yrs, my only grouse with XUV 500 is that the suspension is so hard that each and every bump, speedbreaker, pot hole can be felt inside the vehicle with such a thud. Even the scorpio used to handle the really bad roads near my home properly even though it used to roll a lot. XUV doesnt roll but the thuds are back breaking.
BTW even the new honda city EMT (which I picked up the same time) doesnt have a temperature gauge. So how do we know if the engine over heats?
Will post a detailed initial ownership report after doing my first long run over next week.

I really need to know is it possible to make the middle seat movable (fit rails to it) so that my 2 tall kids can sit comfortably in the last row. We are 6 seater family and the kids are really tall.
Old 30th March 2014, 16:34   #5737
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
BTW even the new honda city EMT (which I picked up the same time) doesnt have a temperature gauge. So how do we know if the engine over heats?
Congrats on the purchase, awaiting ownership report.

Unfortunately it is becoming more common, there is a thread regarding the same.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2014, 19:56   #5738
BHPian

Quote:

I really need to know is it possible to make the middle seat movable (fit rails to it) so that my 2 tall kids can sit comfortably in the last row. We are 6 seater family and the kids are really tall.
In my opinion you may be able to fit the temperature gauge yourself. Our skillful DIY enthusiasts may come up with a hack soon. By comparing W6 or W8 variant, it can be done.
Old 30th March 2014, 21:08   #5739
BHPian

Quote:
As after riding an innova and getting used to the comfort of it for last 1.9 yrs, my only grouse with XUV 500 is that the suspension is so hard that each and every bump, speedbreaker, pot hole can be felt inside the vehicle with such a thud. Even the scorpio used to handle the really bad roads near my home properly even though it used to roll a lot. XUV doesnt roll but the thuds are back breaking.
Will post a detailed initial ownership report after doing my first long run over next week.
Hi Balan,

Regarding the harsh ride issues that you are facing, please check that you are running the correct tyre pressures (32 psi in front and 30 psi at the rear). I had also moved to the XUV from a comfy sedan (Honda Civic). Believe me, I have not for a minute felt that the ride is harsh and bouncy, especially at the front. The rear passengers do get tossed around a bit at low speeds but not nearly as bad as other comparable SUV's. However, once you build up speed, the ride is superb and planted.

Regarding your query about the missing temp. gauge, there would be a warning lamp in the instrument cluster which would light up once the coolant temperature crosses a pre set limit into the hot category. Rest assured, there is no real functionality that you are losing with this omission as even in the variants which have the the temperature gauge, there is no extra functionality expect indicating when the temperature crosses into the red zone.

Hope you soon fall in love with this beast as even with all its quirks and mood swings, it really does win your heart over time.

Cheerzz
Sisu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2014, 22:24   #5740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisu View Post
Hi Balan,

Regarding the harsh ride issues that you are facing, please check that you are running the correct tyre pressures (32 psi in front and 30 psi at the rear).

Regarding your query about the missing temp. gauge, there would be a warning lamp in the instrument cluster which would light up once the coolant temperature crosses a pre set limit into the hot category.
Hope you soon fall in love with thishe same about beast as even with all its quirks and mood swings, it really does win your heart over time.

Cheerzz
The tyre pressure is what they set at delivery time and the sales / delivery executive said the same about the 32/30 psi.
Will check the tyre pressure again tomorrow.
The key here is to get used to the vehicle I suppose.
If they have provided a sound alarm for the temp warning light then it would make good sense.
As for other points, I usually read the manual on how to change the fuses, headlights. Other than that I havent read a manual fully so far. (I have stopped readin books ever since I left college 20 years ago)
My old scorpio VLX used to have a switch for everything. follow me headlamps, wiper sensor, easy to access trip meter, etc. Made life easy.
balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2014, 23:52   #5741
BHPian

Quote:
Taken W4 on 26th March

Best regards
Bala
Press the lock button twice on the key fob, it switches off the lamp. (First press is to lock the car, second to switch off the headlight.)

@ Mods please delete the post as this is a repeat. sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Last edited by tirthankard77 : 31st March 2014 at 00:00. Reason: Request deletion of post
tirthankard77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 14:10   #5742
Senior - BHPian

How many keys do we get with new XUV500. The dealer here says 2. Is that correct?

I remember for my Altis the dealer said 2 keys and 1 remote but as per suggestions here I asked for another set of Original key and remote and after few days they actually provided that.
Old 31st March 2014, 15:13   #5743
BHPian

Two, both identical (ie; with remote)
mdsaif92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 17:18   #5744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
How many keys do we get with new XUV500. The dealer here says 2. Is that correct?

I remember for my Altis the dealer said 2 keys and 1 remote but as per suggestions here I asked for another set of Original key and remote and after few days they actually provided that.
Let me be bit more specific. You would get 2 keys and a remote control for the HU.
aajohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 23:30   #5745
BHPian

Quote:
Will take time to get used to the thuds and hard clutch after 2 years of innova driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Unfortunately it is becoming more common, there is a thread regarding the same.
As regards the temperature gauge, many modern car manufacturers are nowadays substituting it with a high temperature warning alarm. I am not entirely in agreement with this and have expressed my views here.

As regards the 'thuds' in the XUV, I would like to reiterate that the suspension of any new car takes some to to 'settle down' and needs to be 'run in' like the engine. The suspension of my 20,000+ KM XUV feels much more pliant and absorbs shocks from bad roads much better as compared to when it was new. Some of my views on the XUV suspension may be read here.
debuda is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed