Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2014, 15:46   #5791
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Hi, how about the rear bar/rod?. I am getting delivery shortly and am yet to decide on this mostly due to the looks.
I have got one rear bar from Mahindra itself and found it useful to prevent the nasty bikers denting your back at traffic signals. Looks are not that bad though a compromise. I don't have the front crash guard/bar though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
I agree with SDP and J Ravi. I would recommend following:-
1. Reverse camera-must buy.
2. Good foot mats- i also bought maxpider kagu.
3. Car cover.
4. Foot steps - only if its a necessity, i guess in W8 its not recommended because of airbags.
5. Better jack and tool box.
6. Various items depending on type of usage & requirements - car chargers, laptop charger, Air pressure pumps etc
Can you please explain how the side foot steps impact the airbag functioning? I have it fitted from Mahindra on my W8 and they haven't told any such things.
Old 8th April 2014, 16:45   #5792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Hi, how about the rear bar/rod?. I am getting delivery shortly and am yet to decide on this mostly due to the looks.
Just ensure that it does not interfere with rear sensors or rear cam. Aesthetics wise its your personal choice. It does not hinder in any security feature AFAIK. You can consider only if you plan to drive in heavy city traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
Can you please explain how the side foot steps impact the airbag functioning? I have it fitted from Mahindra on my W8 and they haven't told any such things.
I admit I have not asked the dealer on the same. I remember reading somewhere in the forum. I request other TBHPians to comment on the same.
TaureanBull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 16:52   #5793
BHPian

Quote:
4. Foot steps - only if its a necessity, i guess in W8 its not recommended because of airbags.
Could you please elaborate on this? AFAIK footsteps play no role in hampering airbag deployment.

Thanks in advance!
Old 8th April 2014, 17:22   #5794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Having said that, a reverse-camera is extremely useful.
I will suggest a reverse camera.

Quote:
The low-beams are not very effective and you can upgrade to HIDs (not available as official accessory).
So, instead of stock halogens they can pop-in HID's, right? Any particular make/ model which has good durability?

Quote:
Speakers, tyres and alloys are a matter of personal taste. I personally find the stock ones adequate.
They probably will not change any of these, unless the quality is outright pathetic for any of those three elements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
My XUV500 W8 had reverse camera fitted at the dealership at the time of delivery costing ₹3,000. Later, I added 3D Maxpider mats costing ₹7,950.
That reverse camera price is really cheap. Is it only labor cost?

Quote:
I agree with SDP and J Ravi. I would recommend following:-
1. Reverse camera-must buy.
2. Good foot mats- i also bought maxpider kagu.
3. Car cover.
5. Better jack and tool box.
6. Various items depending on type of usage & requirements - car chargers, laptop charger, Air pressure pumps etc
What's wrong with the jack and the tool box supplied?
Old 8th April 2014, 17:34   #5795
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
That reverse camera price is really cheap. Is it only labor cost?
No, all inclusive. As I got the cash discount of ₹ 45,000 with insurance arranged by me and without any loan in December 2013, the dealership expressed its inability to give any free accessories. Finally, at the intervention of Mahindra Area Sales Manager, my XUV500 got the reverse camera at the discounted price of ₹ 3,000. My XUV500 was delivered with the reverse camera fitted.
  (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 18:22   #5796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure maybe during a side impact, they would be the first thing to get impacted resulting in delay/non functioning of side curtain airbags.

One more issue with side steps is ground clearance. Yesterday only I saw a xuv stuck while going through a heap of mud and rocks on the way to banglore from hyderabad. Poor couple they seemed so embarrassed stuck there and seeing indigos and other cars crossing it easily.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 19:22   #5797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisu View Post
Could you please elaborate on this? AFAIK footsteps play no role in hampering airbag deployment.
Already described in my previous post that I am not able to find the post where it was mentioned.But as NitinRalli said it would hinder in deployment of side bags as a bull bar would hinder in the front bad deployment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
That reverse camera price is really cheap. Is it only labor cost?What's wrong with the jack and the tool box supplied?
The 3k cost includes camera, wiring and installation. The cost is only of camera, the display is integrated in the infotainment system. I think the price is not cheap but reasonable.

Nothing wrong with the stock ones. A hydraulic jack may be more preferable. The spanners etc are just basic. A tool box with more spanner sets, screw drivers would be preferable. However, it is more relevant in case of long journeys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Not sure maybe during a side impact, they would be the first thing to get impacted resulting in delay/non functioning of side curtain airbags.
Thats exactly the reason. Thanks for the reply and applying correct logic, it was obvious but missed it somehow.
Old 8th April 2014, 19:53   #5798
BHPian

Quote:
A tool box with more spanner sets, screw drivers would be preferable. However, it is more relevant in case of long journeys.
Relevant in case of long journeys and also if you know how and where to use them Otherwise, no use of carrying extra weight.

Quote:
Thats exactly the reason. Thanks for the reply and applying correct logic, it was obvious but missed it somehow.
The mentioned situation will arise only if the hit is directly on the side foot step. Otherwise, the airbags will function just fine. Yes, they will definitely lower the clearance and that is one of the reasons why I didn't go for it on my car. Apart from this, I don't think it really serves the purpose. Have not seen anybody stepping on it.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 21:13   #5799
BHPian

Quote:
Already described in my previous post that I am not able to find the post where it was mentioned.But as NitinRalli said it would hinder in deployment of side bags as a bull bar would hinder in the front bad deployment.
Hi TaureanBull,

I'm sorry but there is no logic to this argument that the side steps would hinder the airbag deployment.

The side steps are placed ~2 feet from the ground. It is difficult if not impossible, to imagine a scenario wherein the side impact would be serious enough to deploy the airbags and just be limited to 2 feet or less from the ground. If it is indeed the case that the impact is less than ~2 feet from the ground, then the vehicle would flip sideways and the airbags would deploy owing to the input from the Yaw sensors which are a part of the ACM (airbag control module).

Also let me emphasise, airbag deployment is not limited to information received from the impact sensors. The airbag control module also takes into account the rate of deceleration/acceleration, yaw angle etc. in addition to the impact sensor before deploying the airbags.

Hence, based on the above the side steps would not pose as a hurdle in deployment for the airbags.

Front Bull Bars pose a different case because they cover 60-70% of the front fascia considerably widening the range of the impact zones which would be subsequently affected. Hence, they in some cases might hamper the inputs of the front impact sensor in the event of a full frontal crash.

Cheerzzz

Last edited by Sisu : 8th April 2014 at 21:16.
Sisu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 21:36   #5800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisu View Post
Hi TaureanBull,

I'm sorry but there is no logic to this argument that the side steps would hinder the airbag deployment.
I had made it very clear at the beginning that the same was not told to me by the dealer.

You have the right to your opinion and I respect that. You also have a logic.

Let the owner decide whether they want footsteps or not after considering the various points.
TaureanBull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 14:55   #5801
BHPian

Hi guys,
Been trolling threads, just went through 81 pages of the XUV thread.
I'm looking for a new car, and the W4 also fits (just) within my budget (10L - 12.5L).
I'm agnostic (being a new driver) to either sedan, or SUV. I've tried both, and find both equally "suited" to me.
Spoken to a couple of owners too, mixed bag really. About to do a test drive this weekend, but I had a few queries:
1) I'd love the rear camera for parking assist. It's also about 3.5k I believe. Will M&M add the display? Or can i get a display fitted aftermarket?
2) Similarly, do they fit alloys on the W4 for a price? What would be the cost?
3) Any long term niggles that prevail in the Post Oct-13 models?
4) Any owners of both Eco Sport / XUV care to comment on their preference?
Old 9th April 2014, 15:29   #5802
Senior - BHPian

Hi XUVians,

It's finally time for me to decide on the XUV and move on with my purchasing. Request all XUVians to please help me decide on the model.

Even though I am a sincere follower of this thread and aware of each and every bit of XUV, I would like to make sure I decide on the right model before I buy it.

Request all of you to help me decide on W4 or W8 FWD. I would certainly not be interested in W6, since I want to go with either a fully loaded machine or a base variant.

Considering the niggles in electronics and other features, sometimes my head says to go with W4 and do modifications if necessary. But my heart goes for W8 with all the features embedded and not to worry on visiting local shops often.

Since I am opting or a loan, I might extend it for a W8 as well but wanted to make sure it will be the right fit for me before spending on it.

Appreciate all XUVians help in this matter.

PS: SDP, J.RAVI, MUDHAILPATTI, nitinralli - Would appreciate all your help in this regards, since you guys are well versed with the XUV by now.

Thanks,
Sunay
Old 9th April 2014, 16:55   #5803
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
SDP, J.RAVI, MUDHAILPATTI, nitinralli - Would appreciate all your help in this regards
Your selection must depend upon your requirement and budget. Before buying XUV500, I had decided that my next car must have my erstwhile Linea's features plus cruise control, ESP, HHC, HDC, maximum safety with side and curtain airbags and leather upholstery. So, I bought W8 variant. So far, I am fully satisfied with my Purple Cheetah. I suggest that you can consider W8 variant subject to your budget.
  (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 17:07   #5804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Your selection must depend upon your requirement and budget. Before buying XUV500, I had decided that my next car must have my erstwhile Linea's features plus cruise control, ESP, HHC, HDC, maximum safety with side and curtain airbags and leather upholstery. So, I bought W8 variant. So far, I am fully satisfied with my Purple Cheetah. I suggest that you can consider W8 variant subject to your budget.
Thanks Ravi Sir

As I said earlier my budget can reach out to W8 FWD. Currently I own a Santro and I am looking at XUV because it is my dream car since the time it was launched.

And I am totally in sync with the features I am expecting and the features present in W8 variant. But somewhere in one corner of my mind, it says go for W4 and get it upgraded, hence the confusion.

I am also looking at features likes cruise control, HHC, HDC, ABS, ESP, Alloys. Can you please help me with what is not available in W4 and how important is it to have the features likes cruise control, HHC, HDC.

Also how many airbags does W4 come with? And can we upgrade the features similar to W8? If yes, which all features?

Thanks in Advance!!
Old 9th April 2014, 17:36   #5805
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Can you please help me with what is not available in W4
None of these featuers/gadgetry are available in W4:

Quote:
cruise control, ESP, HHC, HDC, maximum safety with side and curtain airbags and leather upholstery.
Out of the above, barring the leather upholstery, others cannot be got fitted with the after-market add-ons.

Quote:
how important is it to have the features likes cruise control, HHC, HDC.
I find cruise control is very useful during long drives. I feel my right leg is free of pain and sprain. HHC is useful on sloping roads. For a few seconds, the vehicle will not move while changing the gear. HDC is useful while climbing down a hill. ESP is useful on a slippery road.

Quote:
Also how many airbags does W4 come with?
2. For the front passenger and driver.

Quote:
And can we upgrade the features similar to W8? If yes, which all features?
Most of features cannot be bought in the after-market. You can add alloy wheels, leather upholstery, etc. For more detailed comparison, please see here.
  (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks