Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2014, 15:30   #5881
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
1. No I have not heard of any bad patch of XUVs in March. Probably a rumour. My XUV is also March manufactured and behaving very well. 3K done.

Dont be in a hurry. A delivery normally will take half a day.
Thanks,

The earliest I can get delivery is tomorrow late evening (my office and their inability too)
Saturday my parents said dont take!

So I guess, I will hold the horses, keep the calm and wait till sunday (and spend a few hours there while taking the delivery doing what you just described)

One final question? March model is fine right (~1.5 months old)
Old 24th April 2014, 16:52   #5882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvoyeur View Post
Thanks,

The earliest I can get delivery is tomorrow late evening (my office and their inability too)
Saturday my parents said dont take!

So I guess, I will hold the horses, keep the calm and wait till sunday (and spend a few hours there while taking the delivery doing what you just described)

One final question? March model is fine right (~1.5 months old)
Deliberation in delivery will go a long way. The excitement to own the vehicle makes one impatient.

Yeah March model is perfectly ok. Check the odometer and it should normally be less than 50kms which is also on higher side.
Old 25th April 2014, 14:50   #5883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virender View Post
Dear All

A crack appear in my W4 (3k KM ) just 2 month old ....
one of my friends car (Civic) had a small spot (more like a beginning stage of a crack) in his windshield. Possibly could have happened by small stone hitting while driving. He went to 'Windshield experts' (http://www.windshieldexperts.com)and they applied a small transparent sticker and asked him to observe for few months. It has been more than 2 years and the sticker is still holding good. He did not replace the windshield. This could be one suggestion you can try out.
Old 25th April 2014, 17:10   #5884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebmrajesh View Post
one of my friends car (Civic) had a small spot (more like a beginning stage of a crack) in his windshield. Possibly could have happened by small stone hitting while driving. He went to 'Windshield experts' (http://www.windshieldexperts.com)and they applied a small transparent sticker and asked him to observe for few months. It has been more than 2 years and the sticker is still holding good. He did not replace the windshield. This could be one suggestion you can try out.

It's not a small spot in mine instead a crack of a feet long . Will visit tomorrow to both MAAS as well as to windshield expert for a possible solution.
Old 26th April 2014, 13:50   #5885
BHPian

Guys,

I have taken the delivery of my black W8 FWD yesterday. Drove around 125 km since last night.

Among other things, I am impressed by the grip tyres have on the road, the suspension quality, power and practicality of the features.

The second gear is still notchy - I never understood before yesterday what a notchy gear means. It was difficult driving through the Friday night jam yesterday. HAd to restart a few times while in 2nd gear. Made me and my dad question my driving skills please Is the second gear pick up very low?

Sound quality from speakers is decent. Sound quality of horn could have been better for sure.

The illumination on low beam is very bad - reminds me of the 1984 Yezdi i drive whose illumination could probably be better! Is this usual guys?

Seats are very good, comfortable.

Dealership experience was not great but then I was really pushed for time so I get it. Those guys were generally nice and gave a nice demo.

I thought we were supposed to get leather seats on W8 but it was leather-ite -> they said this is what you get. Is this true?

The reverse sensor thing is confusing, it just beeps and does not show any sensor like graphs. Also, it ends up reading the side distance as well. It asks me to stop if I am reversing in a narrow ally. Can this be fixed? Will nudge guard worsen this?

Brakes - I need to really put my foot on the pedal to get them to work. They are not as responsive as I like. But I have heard its a usual thing. Any chance that this can be fixed?

Is it ok if I get the accessories for a third party store - side step & camera primarily. Realized im not much of a chrome person.

Finally - Mods/Guys, please let me know if it would make sense to open an ownership thread given there are so many XUVs now. I am planning to call him Wallace (Reference: Braveheart & my football team)
carvoyeur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2014, 14:55   #5886
BHPian

Quote:
It's not a small spot in mine instead a crack of a feet long . Will visit tomorrow to both MAAS as well as to windshield expert for a possible solution.

Visited Windshield and Sterling Gurgaon today .

Windshiled given price of 8320 in cash while in MASS estimates were around 11.5k with the same brand of glass (ASHI) . Can not be covered in warranty as the spot where stone hit is quite visible . Anyway will drive more some more time with crack till it become a problem in issue. there is no issue on safety from as assured by windshield guy as well the same assurance is given by the MASS .

Noticed one more thing that the height of my W4(Jan 14 Make ) is more than other XUVs standing there and the difference is quite visible . I have asked the guys around there but did not get any convincing answer . they were just guessing may be because of shockers height or break pad thickness .

I have tried to get it clarified from RM but he is unaware instead said that W4 should be less in height .

Personally I like with low height and feel the XUV lack aggression with more height.

Pls share your thoughts

Last edited by virender : 26th April 2014 at 15:22. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 26th April 2014, 14:58   #5887
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....The reverse sensor thing is confusing, it just beeps and does not show any sensor like graphs. Also, it ends up reading the side distance as well. It asks me to stop if I am reversing in a narrow ally. Can this be fixed? Will nudge guard worsen this?...
There were some posts that the nudge guard can get the reverse sensor to give wrong output. If you are NOT particular, please leave it; the bumpers are designed to crumble in case of accidents, nudge guards prevent then bumpers from doing the job.

Quote:
....Is it ok if I get the accessories for a third party store - side step & camera primarily. Realized im not much of a chrome person...
Why NOT?! You can source those and get it installed from the dealership to be on the safer side.

Quote:
.... Finally - Mods/Guys, please let me know if it would make sense to open an ownership thread given there are so many XUVs now. I am planning to call him Wallace (Reference: Braveheart & my football team)
It would. Think of your thread as an online repository of your vehicle details. That's how I see mine. You just don't have to keep track of anything when you have the details stored online. And we will get to see some nice pics too.
Old 26th April 2014, 18:57   #5888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

I have taken the delivery of my black W8 FWD yesterday. Drove around 125 km since last night.

The second gear is still notchy - I never understood before yesterday what a notchy gear means. It was difficult driving through the Friday night jam yesterday. HAd to restart a few times while in 2nd gear. Made me and my dad question my driving skills please [b]Is the second gear pick up very low?

The illumination on low beam is very bad - reminds me of the 1984 Yezdi i drive whose illumination could probably be better! Is this usual guys?
1. Heartiest congratulations and a happy driving ahead.

2. Yes one needs to feel to understand the notchy thing. Well, what you mean by second gear low pick up low, is not clear. If you are driving the dead stop car in second gear then yes the pick up would be low. In any gear if the RPM falls below 1000 the engine would stop.

3. Yes the illumination is bad in low beam and better in high beam.

4. At least post the pics in the meanwhile.
Old 26th April 2014, 20:05   #5889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
1. Heartiest congratulations and a happy driving ahead.

3. Yes the illumination is bad in low beam and better in high beam.

4. At least post the pics in the meanwhile.
Thanks TaureanBull, although I pushed them for a delivery on Friday itself - I did take my time to understand things.

I don't like the low bean illumination one bit since I always use low beam (hoping that others use it too but never happens). Is there a bulb change which will work? Has you/anyone tried that? I could keep the fog lamp on and see how it works.

I will post the pictures. Aaj to party hai pehele lekin
Old 26th April 2014, 21:20   #5890
BHPian

Quote:
I have taken the delivery of my black W8 FWD yesterday.
Congratulations on the new car and welcome to the club.
Quote:
Is the second gear pick up very low?
If you try to move the car from a dead stop in second gear (and when the car is not in a forward incline), most of the cars behave the same way. And also, it is not a good thing to do in my opinion, to slip the clutch and move it in second when you can cleanly pull off in first gear. What will you achieve if you take off in second gear?
Quote:
Sound quality of horn could have been better for sure.
I found the sound of the horns to be adequate, but once you roll up the windows, it sounds really feeble from inside. Good sound insulation IMO.
Quote:
Here also, I would beg to differ with many. The low beam illumination is good and according to me, it seems to be adhering to the standard. The throw does not have the reach that many people would have liked. But it is adequate on highways and for village roads, you always have the high beam to assist.
Quote:
The reverse sensor thing is confusing, it just beeps and does not show any sensor like graphs. Also, it ends up reading the side distance as well.
You should have a display like the one below. Yes, it does take into consideration, some area to either side also. If you do not see a display like the below one, you might have to get the system checked by the dealership.
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-xuv-reverse.jpg
Quote:
Brakes - I need to really put my foot on the pedal to get them to work. They are not as responsive as I like. But I have heard its a usual thing. Any chance that this can be fixed?
Unfortunately, the first half of the pedal travel is spongy and this is a problem with XUV. I don't think there is any remedy as of now and you have to get adjusted to it.
Quote:
Is it ok if I get the accessories for a third party store - side step & camera primarily. Realized im not much of a chrome person.
As far it is approved and fixed by the dealership, the warranty should not have any problem. I'm not a a chrome person myself and hate the overdone chrome bits which they offer.
Quote:
Finally - Mods/Guys, please let me know if it would make sense to open an ownership thread given there are so many XUVs now. I am planning to call him Wallace (Reference: Braveheart & my football team)
AFAIK, an ownership thread is a personal choice. It depends on whether you want to share your ownership experience with others. And believe me, every ownership experience is different. So, your choice.
Old 27th April 2014, 02:23   #5891
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Noticed one more thing that the height of my W4(Jan 14 Make ) is more than other XUVs standing there and the difference is quite visible . I have asked the guys around there but did not get any convincing answer . they were just guessing may be because of shockers height or break pad thickness .
I've noticed that too with my Feb14 manufactured W8 standing close to earlier piece. The difference in height was substantial. Infect my friend also noticed the same and we went in to measure the distance between tyre and fender of both but that was same. We were not able to come to any conclusion for the difference in height which is more visible from the front.
Old 27th April 2014, 10:28   #5892
BHPian

Quote:
Visited Windshield and Sterling Gurgaon today .

Windshiled given price of 8320 in cash while in MASS estimates were around 11.5k with the same brand of glass (ASHI) . Can not be covered in warranty as the spot where stone hit is quite visible . Anyway will drive more some more time with crack till it become a problem in issue. there is no issue on safety from as assured by windshield guy as well the same assurance is given by the MASS .
Windshield has a product called CoolGlass. When replacing check out whether it is available for XUV500. Seems to be worth whatever premium they may charge!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WE_CoolGlas.pdf (780.6 KB, 477 views)
Old 27th April 2014, 15:54   #5893
BHPian

Recently I drove my new XUV to Coorg and stayed at a homestay. There was no secured parking available and I had to leave the car parked outside in the night. Since I have a covered and secured car parking at home, I am not used to park the car out on road in night, that too a new XUV. So naturally I was pretty concerned. Thankfully nothing happened but I am now thinking of adding some security so that in my future trips I can feel a bit more prepared to handle such situations.

I have read about Gear Locks and some members have got it installed in their XUVs. Seems that installing these gear locks serves as a good deterrent. But the idea of drilling holes in the vehicle is bit scary. Does it impact warranty anyway? What about water sipping in through this holes ? OR I am just thinking too much ? What do other members suggest and what have they done to ensure security of their vehicles ?

And how safe are the immobilizers that we have in the vehicle. I read somewhere that we should change some code otherwise the default code can be compromised. I do not understand this, can anyone please help what should be done to ensure the effectiveness of the immobilizer.

Thanks for your responses.
Old 28th April 2014, 11:22   #5894
BHPian

Quote:
The second gear is still notchy - I never understood before yesterday what a notchy gear means. It was difficult driving through the Friday night jam yesterday. HAd to restart a few times while in 2nd gear..... Is the second gear pick up very low?
I too feel the same in my Jan W6. Vehicle struggles in the second gear at low speeds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
If you try to move the car from a dead stop in second gear (and when the car is not in a forward incline), most of the cars behave the same way. And also, it is not a good thing to do in my opinion, to slip the clutch and move it in second when you can cleanly pull off in first gear. What will you achieve if you take off in second gear?
At least in my case, I am not talking about starting from dead stop. In a typical bumper to bumper traffic scenario (or going over a big speed breaker) too where one has to drive at fairly low speeds, second gear is a pain. The vehicle stops unless you press the accelerator hard which I will hate to do. I have to invariably downshift to first gear in such scenarios. So not only is the second gear relatively difficult to engage (which becomes better with practice and getting used to), it also seems to lack the sufficient bite at low speeds. It's quite possible that I may not be doing something right, so if others has figured it out (except learning to live with it), I would love to learn from them.
s_a_u_r_a_b_h is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2014, 12:29   #5895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_a_u_r_a_b_h View Post
I have to invariably downshift to first gear in such scenarios. So not only is the second gear relatively difficult to engage (which becomes better with practice and getting used to), it also seems to lack the sufficient bite at low speeds.
Saurabh I have been driving for almost 16 months now with more than 15K on the ODO. I entirely agree with you. There is no alternative but downshift to first gear, at low speed especially when going over bumps. Otherwise the engine simply stalls, which is not a good thing, and neither is it good to press hard on the accelerator.
Regarding a hard second gear, it's certainly likely to loosen up with use. Luckily I never faced any problem with any of the gears. Touchwood, it's been a fine gearbox thus far.
Heavy Horse is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed