Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2014, 13:57   #5971
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Sorry, Pg 2 is a repeat in the earlier post. The correct one is this.

MODS: Can you guys take out the second attachment in the above post. Tried through the Edit button but could'nt do it. Thanks.
Attached Images

Heavy Horse is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 14:19   #5972

I got a XUV W8 few days back and still adapting to the new drive, I had a query regarding the headlamp LEDs, I am able to turn them by turning the stalk to parking light position, but dont know how to turn them with Auto Headlamp or with Normal Headlamp operation.

Can LEDs be operated in these conditions ? If yes, can someone please guide me how ?

Thanks,
Rahul.
Old 9th May 2014, 14:43   #5973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
Checked out prices on changemytyre.com
The cheapest is Apollo Hawkz. I've done 16K on them and they look very good. If they last till 50K, I'll definitely use them.
Sir, a better site than this is http://www.tyreonwheels.com

They have better prices compared to changemytyre.com in almost all tyres. For e.g. JK tyres on changemytyre cost for 11K but in tyreonwheels its for 9900 only. Also this site has more options for XUV like Michelin, Continental, Yokohama etc.

Sir, the thing is even JK tyres right now on my XUV looks neat as in they still have lot of life left in them even after 50K. I guess they are good for another 10-15K kms. Its just that the rolling noise is more in JK's. Thats why i was little shocked to see comments from fellow Bhpian saying that Bridgestones are noisy. They were on the top of the list for my next change but now i am confused.
nitinralli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 14:55   #5974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanny View Post
I got a XUV W8 few days back and still adapting to the new drive, I had a query regarding the headlamp LEDs, I am able to turn them by turning the stalk to parking light position, but dont know how to turn them with Auto Headlamp or with Normal Headlamp operation.

Can LEDs be operated in these conditions ? If yes, can someone please guide me how ?

Thanks,
Rahul.
Your query is quite confusing. The Parking LEDs will come on no matter what procedure you use to turn on your Headlights (Auto or Manual).

If you want ONLY the LEDs to be on, then the only way is to manually select Parking Lights on the light stalk.
reevester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 17:23   #5975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Sir, a better site than this is http://www.tyreonwheels.com

Sir, the thing is even JK tyres right now on my XUV looks neat as in they still have lot of life left in them even after 50K. I guess they are good for another 10-15K kms. Its just that the rolling noise is more in JK's.
Nitin thanks for that website. Will check it out.

On my Apollo HAWKZ there's no noise, it's been very stable and balanced. In fact only yesterday I drove 220 kms, including ghat sections in moderate rains, the braking and hold was great. Never missed a beat.
Heavy Horse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2014, 12:17   #5976

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevester View Post
Your query is quite confusing. The Parking LEDs will come on no matter what procedure you use to turn on your Headlights (Auto or Manual).

If you want ONLY the LEDs to be on, then the only way is to manually select Parking Lights on the light stalk.
Thanks Reevester, I got it. Till now, somehow had only seen headlamp glow from outside in go to home mode after i shut down the car, then LED lamps stayed off, hence got confused.

Thanks,
Rahul.
Old 12th May 2014, 11:55   #5977
BHPian

Has anyone felt the steering to sort of Jam for an instant when changing lanes while overtaking at high-ish speeds? As if the tyres are resisting turning back to stay on course.

Is this what is known as a poor steering response because it was quite scary?

Felt it 3-4 times now, first only for the right side but now for left also.
Old 12th May 2014, 12:53   #5978
Senior - BHPian

What is the feedback on the projectors?
When I drove my sister's car on a familiar road, I found it was no better than my after market projectors on my Cedia.
I also noticed that the right cut-off is really ON the ground and the left cut-off is quite high and goes on the trees. I am referring to the low/ normal beam. The leveler was on 0 and I tried it upto 4.

So, there is definitely some adjustment needed - perhaps in the first service.

While parking the 'car', I noticed the steering rod touching somewhere on the leg (maybe it was also rotating under the clutch pedal and could be felt below the footwear.
Can't remember now what exactly was happening, but does something like this happen?

Since there is no dedicated boot, what type of bags are used while traveling on twisty roads? Are there some sort of after-market hooks available to secure the luggage?
Old 12th May 2014, 16:33   #5979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvoyeur View Post
Has anyone felt the steering to sort of Jam for an instant when changing lanes while overtaking at high-ish speeds? As if the tyres are resisting turning back to stay on course.

Never felt this and this sounds quite alarming. Maybe you need to get your XUV thoroughly checked at a SS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
What is the feedback on the projectors?
When I drove my sister's car on a familiar road, I found it was no better than my after market projectors on my Cedia.
I also noticed that the right cut-off is really ON the ground and the left cut-off is quite high and goes on the trees. I am referring to the low/ normal beam. The leveler was on 0 and I tried it upto 4.

So, there is definitely some adjustment needed - perhaps in the first service.

While parking the 'car', I noticed the steering rod touching somewhere on the leg (maybe it was also rotating under the clutch pedal and could be felt below the footwear.
Can't remember now what exactly was happening, but does something like this happen?

Since there is no dedicated boot, what type of bags are used while traveling on twisty roads? Are there some sort of after-market hooks available to secure the luggage?
Yes, if you tend to wear shoes that are longer lengthwise (think of crocodile styled formal shoes) or tend to tap on the pedals with your heels you will notice the steering rod graze against your shoe. This has been the design since day 1. Doesn't really bother me to be honest.
Old 12th May 2014, 16:53   #5980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post

So, there is definitely some adjustment needed - perhaps in the first service
This is not an issue but a design used globally for safety reasons. The right side beam cuts off low so that it doesn't blind the on-coming traffic. Thats why you will notice in Left hand drive markets, its the left side beam which cuts out low so that it doesnt blind others coming from front. So in india, where we have righthand drive, hence the right side beam is low. So dont worry
nitinralli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2014, 19:38   #5981
BHPian

Quote:

Could it be the ESP working to prevent the car from going into a spin?
Old 12th May 2014, 20:04   #5982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
Thats a good thought. I wouldn't know how ESP feels like when it is engaged but might make sense to try and drive for a while with the ESP switched off?

Although it seems to make me lose control than to help regain control. I will also discuss this with my RM this week and post the update here.
Old 12th May 2014, 20:15   #5983
BHPian

It's a phenomenon called torque steer. Quite common in front wheel drive vehicles. However get your tyre pressures checked.
mdsaif92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2014, 22:33   #5984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
I had the same thoughts that it might be ESP trying to prevent a sharp turn. But the description does not match that. I hope he is not attempting sharp turns at very high speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
This is not an issue but a design used globally for safety reasons. The right side beam cuts off low so that it doesn't blind the on-coming traffic. Thats why you will notice in Left hand drive markets, its the left side beam which cuts out low so that it doesnt blind others coming from front. So in india, where we have righthand drive, hence the right side beam is low. So dont worry
Nitin, thats a really wonderful piece of information. Thanks a ton. I myself was considering getting the beam checked but you have sealed the point. Thats what I feel knowledge is power. One must read manual and be aware of vehicle features else they may appear to be faults/nuisance.
Old 12th May 2014, 22:38   #5985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
I had the same thoughts that it might be ESP trying to prevent a sharp turn. But the description does not match that. I hope he is not attempting sharp turns at very high speeds.
Actually, I am not taking sharp turns at high speeds.

Is acceleration a trigger for ESP as well ? Because this happens while overtaking when I change my lane and accelerate (moving from lets say 40-80 in 4th gear before I change to 5th or 25-55 in 3rd gear)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks