Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2014, 22:39   #5986
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

^^ I dont think ESP will prevent steering input. As per my understanding ESP will modulate break and accelerator input only.
Old 12th May 2014, 22:41   #5987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaif92 View Post
It's a phenomenon called torque steer. Quite common in front wheel drive vehicles. However get your tyre pressures checked.
Torque steer happens when you accelerate hard in lower gears, not when we are changing lanes at high speeds.
mtnrajdeep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2014, 22:52   #5988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaif92 View Post
It's a phenomenon called torque steer. Quite common in front wheel drive vehicles. However get your tyre pressures checked.
Exactly dude - this is what I feel. Wonder why no one else felt it?

Posting relevant details for benefits of people like me:

"Torque steer is a phenomenon that mostly affects front-wheel-drive cars where heavy acceleration causes the vehicle to veer to the left or right.

Torque steer can be caused by a number of factors, such as a difference of traction available beneath the two drive wheels, or a difference in the inflation levels of the tires causing the two sides to grip unequally. However, the most common cause of torque steer is a compromise that is inherent to the front-engine, front-wheel-drive configuration: the transversely mounted engine.

Once the initial shock of the torque load has passed, the half-shafts snap back into sync and the vehicle settles back to more or less its static weight distribution, which is why you only really feel torque steer when you jump on the throttle and during gear changes and not so much at, for example, freeway speeds."

Apparently, there are no ways to reduce it except for equal tyre pressures and exercising restraint with your pedal foot for the first few feet of acceleration (there are measures like suspension design, differential technology etc. but those are pre-production measures)

Source: http://www.cnet.com/news/what-the-he...s-of-car-tech/
carvoyeur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2014, 23:01   #5989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
Torque steer happens when you accelerate hard in lower gears, not when we are changing lanes at high speeds.
Totally agree with you. The problem he is saying is totally different than what torque steer does. Even i have faced torque steer lot of time but this happens only when you accelerate hard while taking a turn.
Old 13th May 2014, 11:57   #5990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvoyeur View Post
Has anyone felt the steering to sort of Jam for an instant when changing lanes while overtaking at high-ish speeds? As if the tyres are resisting turning back to stay on course.

Is this what is known as a poor steering response because it was quite scary?

Felt it 3-4 times now, first only for the right side but now for left also.
The power assistance to the steering would decrease as the speed increases. So effectively more effort is required at higher speeds. Are you observing this relative hardness to steering? Also make sure that there is no obstruction by carpet/mats to the steering column movement near the floor.
bejoy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 14:19   #5991
BHPian

I took my 2nd test drive from Sireesh to check on the tyre squeal and braking grinding on a newer vehicle last Saturday. Drove from Silk Board to Attibele and back via Electronic City Express way. Brakes were way better than my previous TD car and tyre squeal was a lot lesser. Decided not to think much and booked my W8 FWD Opulent Purple last Saturday with Sireesh Mahindra. I have checked with Anath cars as well but the price worked out to be the same so went with Sireesh as it was very near to my place (walk-able). Following are the things that I am getting as freebies after negotiations.
(This is the accessory list that I have selected to opt for, post negotiations SC has offered all of them as freebies)
1. Black rubber weather floor-mat
2. Front grill chrome
3. Reverse Camera
4. Door Handle chrome
5. Tailgate Chrome
6. Fog Lamp Chrome
7. XUV branded scuff plate

Price split up:
13,69,086(ex-showroom) - 25000(Corp Disc 10k +Cash Disc 15k) = 1344086 (Post Disc)
+ 2,53,629 (RoadTax on Discounted ex-show)
+ 11,000 (Handling Charges)
+ 33,000 (Bumper2Bumper Insurance)
= 16,41,715 (Final On-Road Price)

I have asked for 3D mats as freebie, but the SA was not able to work it out as it has to be sourced externally.
Any idea guys where can I buy good 3D mats for XUV? What would be the cost? Dealer is quoting me 9k, I know its on the higher side so refused.

PS: Vehicle is ready with the dealer, but my loan is under process with SBI. If things go well, I should get my ride this Saturday or Sunday. Fingers crossed and sleepless night begins.

Last edited by Chuchan : 13th May 2014 at 14:27. Reason: Added TD Detials.
Chuchan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 14:55   #5992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuchan View Post
Price split up:
13,69,086(ex-showroom) - 25000(Corp Disc 10k +Cash Disc 15k) = 1344086 (Post Disc)
+ 2,53,629 (RoadTax on Discounted ex-show)
+ 11,000 (Handling Charges)
+ 33,000 (Bumper2Bumper Insurance)
= 16,41,715 (Final On-Road Price)

I have asked for 3D mats as freebie, but the SA was not able to work it out as it has to be sourced externally.
Any idea guys where can I buy good 3D mats for XUV? What would be the cost? Dealer is quoting me 9k, I know its on the higher side so refused.
1. I think the handling charges are much on the higher side. I have not heard of more than 7-7.5k that too I guess is on higher side.

2. Maxpider Kagu 3D mats which are very good can be bought for 8k from various sources. Other cheaper options are also available.

3. BTW I dont know the colour of your car but that lots of chrome buddy!
Old 13th May 2014, 15:09   #5993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
This is not an issue but a design used globally for safety reasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
I myself was considering getting the beam checked but you have sealed the point.
To add on to this, please see this article in wikipedia. Scroll down to the regulations and requirements section and you can see the ECE regulation for headlamps, both low and high beams.

Quote:
He mentioned that the colour is Opulent Purple and yes, for me too, its a lot of chrome. When the dealership asked, I told them not to put on any of those accents on my car. I absolutely hate those stick on chrome bits.

Last edited by A350XWB : 13th May 2014 at 15:21.
A350XWB is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 15:13   #5994
BHPian

Quote:
1. I think the handling charges are much on the higher side. I have not heard of more than 7-7.5k that too I guess is on higher side.

2. Maxpider Kagu 3D mats which are very good can be bought for 8k from various sources. Other cheaper options are also available.

1. 11k is the same across both the dealers I checked and both said they will not be able to reduce it.

2. Thx for the price, any genuine online sources where I can order from?

3. I am going with Purple and I am not a big fan of chrome. I have selected these after looking them on flesh on multiple vehicles. Btw, this is just the 50% of chrome accents what Mahindra is offering
Old 13th May 2014, 15:39   #5995
BHPian

Quote:

2. Thx for the price, any genuine online sources where I can order from?

3. I am going with Purple and I am not a big fan of chrome. I have selected these after looking them on flesh on multiple vehicles. Btw, this is just the 50% of chrome accents what Mahindra is offering

Had purchased mine a year back from snap deal for INR 6500. I think there are many options online.

I too have a purple one and have avoided chrome. Felt it to be a bit garish for the colour. I personally feel that chrome suits better for the black and white variants.
Old 13th May 2014, 15:41   #5996
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. 11k is the same across both the dealers I checked and both said they will not be able to reduce it.
I had been to Srireesh last Saturday evening. Had discussion with RM Vijay. He informed me that 11 K is the standard rate for handing charged across by all dealers. When I asked him what is the logic in giving discount of 20K but increasing the price by 11K he said he will check with his manager and decrease it.
I am not sure how much he would be ready to decrease though.
Old 13th May 2014, 16:10   #5997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
I had been to Srireesh last Saturday evening. Had discussion with RM Vijay. He informed me that 11 K is the standard rate for handing charged across by all dealers. When I asked him what is the logic in giving discount of 20K but increasing the price by 11K he said he will check with his manager and decrease it.
I am not sure how much he would be ready to decrease though.
Suhas, I tried to play the same trick, it never really helped me. The answer was same and my RM said he will workout on accessories which he did as he committed. Please let know your experience.

BTW, when are you booking your's
Old 13th May 2014, 17:14   #5998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
This is not an issue but a design used globally for safety reasons. The right side beam cuts off low so that it doesn't blind the on-coming traffic. Thats why you will notice in Left hand drive markets, its the left side beam which cuts out low so that it doesnt blind others coming from front. So in india, where we have righthand drive, hence the right side beam is low. So dont worry
Quote:
I

Nitin, thats a really wonderful piece of information. Thanks a ton. I myself was considering getting the beam checked but you have sealed the point. Thats what I feel knowledge is power. One must read manual and be aware of vehicle features else they may appear to be faults/nuisance.
As someone who got projectors retrofitted last year, I have to say that there is still an issue.

Yes. The proper cut-off for RHD markets is expected to be like this:
http://www.veloster.org/forum/attach...m-lhdvsrhd.jpg

But, what I saw my sister's XUV is quite different. The left projector is way high up and the right projector is way down on the ground. There is almost zero illumination in front of the driver after say 10 meters.

So, the alignment is off.
@TaureanBull: Please check your vehicle and report back.
S_U_N is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 21:46   #5999
BHPian

Quote:
I took my 2nd test drive from Sireesh to check on the tyre squeal
when i took my car from Sireesh Bangalore, the showroom manager told me not to go with Chrome accessory. He mentioned that in many cars the sealant/gum which holds the chrome has lost its ability and few customers lost the chrome frame as it felt down while driving. He also quoted me how the gum leaks down and makes stains on car paint. Probably someone can confirm if they have experienced the same. After hearing this i did not go with chrome accessory. Moreover my car color is Silver so it really does not make difference.
Old 13th May 2014, 22:02   #6000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post
Had purchased mine a year back from snap deal for INR 6500. I think there are many options online.

I too have a purple one and have avoided chrome. Felt it to be a bit garish for the colour. I personally feel that chrome suits better for the black and white variants.
Will check online portals. Thanks for the update on the price.

Opinion differs. Even I am not a big fan of chrome, may remove if I dont like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebmrajesh View Post
when i took my car from Sireesh Bangalore, the showroom manager told me not to go with Chrome accessory. He mentioned that in many cars the sealant/gum which holds the chrome has lost its ability and few customers lost the chrome frame as it felt down while driving. He also quoted me how the gum leaks down and makes stains on car paint. Probably someone can confirm if they have experienced the same. After hearing this i did not go with chrome accessory. Moreover my car color is Silver so it really does not make difference.
I check for the same with the dealer and he confirmed no such issues. One neighbour(6 months old) and a colleague (1+ Yrs) has XUV W8s both of them have Chromes on it and reported no such issues.

Fellow bhpins can confirm.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks