Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2014, 08:30   #6166
J.Ravi

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
is it worth going for the New Extended warranty option for the XUV ?
When extended warranty was offered to me by RM during the first free service of my XUV 500, I declined. In case of my erstwhile Linea, the extended warranty was offered by a third party insurance company with more exclusions than inclusions. Every item carried distance criterion like suspension replacement under extended warranty was upto 35,000 km only! So, when my erstwhile Linea's front left suspension got damaged at 40 k km due to bad roads in West Bengal during my NE/Bhutan trip, I had to pay for the new suspension as it was not covered under extended warranty. The details are here. So, I have decided, enough is enough with the extended warranties. I am fine with standard warranty.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 26th June 2014 at 08:35.

Old 26th June 2014, 11:20   #6167
BHPian

Hi SDP

Is extended warranty an option for existing owners or is it in offer for prospective buyers only. I mean normally its a well calculated move by the marketing organisation for boosting sales and its in offer for prospective buyers only. I am of the opinion that extended warranty makes more sense than the normal ones since the probability of availing it is higher as the car starts aging

Cheers
Old 26th June 2014, 20:40   #6168
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitdongerkery View Post
Hi SDP

Is extended warranty an option for existing owners or is it in offer for prospective buyers only. I mean normally its a well calculated move by the marketing organisation for boosting sales and its in offer for prospective buyers only. I am of the opinion that extended warranty makes more sense than the normal ones since the probability of availing it is higher as the car starts aging

Cheers
Hi Sumit,

Don't have the details about inclusions/exclusions yet. And that is a crucial input before I take a call myself.

But yes, it is available to existing buyers.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 07:54   #6169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitdongerkery View Post
Hi SDP

Cheers
Extended warranty available if your date of purchase of your xuv is less than 2 years.
Engine, gearbox, ac cooling coil etc are included. I will be going for my 1st service next week. Will get more details and will mostly go for the extended warranty.
My main concern is the clutch and oil pump (leading to engine failure)
undead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 10:25   #6170
BHPian

Thanks SDP! Thats a great piece of information. I would also go for this extended warranty in that case.

BTW, I always thought your car is much older than mine
sumitdongerkery is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 10:57   #6171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
Extended warranty available if your date of purchase of your xuv is less than 2 years.
Engine, gearbox, ac cooling coil etc are included. I will be going for my 1st service next week. Will get more details and will mostly go for the extended warranty.
My main concern is the clutch and oil pump (leading to engine failure)
Less than 2 yrs is going to be a deal breaker for lot of owners considering this option was just launched. There would be those initial buyers who suffered the most and still have the higher chances of failures. And now these people who put that initial trust on Mahindra and the XUV are again left out. Too bad. I think they should have it for all XUV's as even the oldest would be within the 3yr warranty period.

Undead, if possible, pls get a copy of the extended warranty document and post it so that we have a clear idea of what is covered and terms & conditions.

FundaG
Old 27th June 2014, 18:29   #6172
BHPian

I have Booked XUV5OO W6 moondust silver couple of days back and awaiting delivery early next week. Having been an owner of Maruti, hyundai, FIAT and now Mahindra i guess the ownership experience would be great. I have taken the PDI Checklist from the forum and would be doing the PDI on coming monday. Any special check list from the experience gurus?
Eagerly waiting to lay hands on the cheetah and give some break to my punto 90
Sree_hari82 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 19:32   #6173
BHPian

Hi, pardon my lack of technical knowledge, the mechanic who attended said "suspension".

This is what is mentioned in the pre-invoice - "MCPHERSON STRUT ASST LH TC1". Part No 0401BAA05441N.

Amount column left blank as its under warranty. Is this a critical part? The mechanic mentioned that the new vehicles are very sturdy and this is very very rare issue.

Completed 5000 kms in 3 months. I just got my first service done. Including taxes the cost came to Rs 2207.

We are extremely happy with the vehicle so far. Though the per km expense has reduced compared to my previous vehicle (one of the reasons we used to convince ourselves to go for this) the overall expense has risen as you feel like going for a drive every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Replaced the suspension? I mean, wow!
Can you please share, what all parts from the suspension were replaced? Just the shock-absorbers or more parts?
VindyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 21:05   #6174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
This is what is mentioned in the pre-invoice - "MCPHERSON STRUT ASST LH TC1". Part No 0401BAA05441N.
Vinod, MacPherson strut is the major component of the the front suspension. I dug up a service quotation and found that this particular part cost Rs. 6,765.94. I doubt its the complete strut assembly because I saw another part, with No: 0401BAA05451N MCPHERSON STRUT ASSY LH TC3, which costs 7104.80. Anyway, happy to hear that the problem is rectified.

Last edited by A350XWB : 27th June 2014 at 21:14.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2014, 08:35   #6175
BHPian

Sudeep, thank you for the link. Now I know why the suspension feels a little harsh despite the huge tires. Here is an excerpt from the wiki article.

"Although it is a popular choice, due to its simplicity and low manufacturing cost, the design has a few disadvantages in the quality of ride and the handling of the car. Geometric analysis shows it cannot allow vertical movement of the wheel without some degree of either camber angle change, sideways movement, or both. It is not generally considered to give as good handling as a double wishbone or multi-link suspension, because it allows the engineers less freedom to choose camber change and roll center.

Another drawback is that it tends to transmit noise and vibration from the road directly into the body shell, giving higher noise levels and a "harsh" feeling to the ride compared with double wishbones[citation needed], requiring manufacturers to add extra noise reduction or cancellation and isolation mechanisms.

Despite these drawbacks, the MacPherson strut setup is still used on high performance cars such as the Porsche 911, several Mercedes-Benz models and lower BMWs models (including the new Mini but excluding the 2007 X5,[6] 2009 7-series, 2011 5-series and 5-series GT)."

Is there any suspension which lets the tires move not just up and down but also a little back or diagonally up? When the tire hits a speed breaker the force is diagonal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Vinod, MacPherson strut is the major component of the the front suspension. I dug up a service quotation and found that this particular part cost Rs. 6,765.94. I doubt its the complete strut assembly because I saw another part, with No: 0401BAA05451N MCPHERSON STRUT ASSY LH TC3, which costs 7104.80. Anyway, happy to hear that the problem is rectified.
Old 29th June 2014, 08:13   #6176
BANNED

Hi All,

I am getting a offer for 2012 w8 for 10.5L ,it has run 14000km and well maintained. now thw question is that is the price right? and is it worth buying it instead of W6 @ 13.5L

the great confusion running in my mind is that ,for a new W6 @ 8.5L loan i pay about 16-18k as emi (10.4 - 11%)and for this W8 i would be paying 15k as emi for 5L loan(14.5-16.5 %).

get me out this confusion please
Old 29th June 2014, 09:34   #6177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hi All,

I am getting a offer for 2012 w8 for 10.5L ,it has run 14000km and well maintained. now thw question is that is the price right? and is it worth buying it instead of W6 @ 13.5L

the great confusion running in my mind is that ,for a new W6 @ 8.5L loan i pay about 16-18k as emi (10.4 - 11%)and for this W8 i would be paying 15k as emi for 5L loan(14.5-16.5 %).

No brainier

Go for the new W6
Old 29th June 2014, 09:47   #6178
BHPian

Hi, go for the new W-6 as with the 2012 W-8 you will keep thinking about the "old version", niggles, suspension being hard etc. (which may or may not be correct). Plus you will have shorter warranty period.

With higher interest rates for second hand car loan, the new vehicle deal looks better. Also calculate the resale value after 5 years - 3rd owner vs 2nd owner and new version vs old version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hi All,

Last edited by VindyWheels : 29th June 2014 at 09:49.
Old 29th June 2014, 12:21   #6179
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Hi, go for the new W-6 as with the 2012 W-8 you will keep thinking about the "old version", niggles, suspension being hard etc. (which may or may not be correct).
Yes but heart says go for the W8 for the features

anyways i will try to bring down the cost and try for 9.5L or so if now the new W6
Old 29th June 2014, 18:05   #6180
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree_hari82 View Post
I have Booked XUV5OO W6 moondust silver couple of days back
Congratulations and best wishes, Sree_hari82. Explore and enjoy your XUV 500. I wish you infinite miles with smiles in your XUV 500.

Most Viewed