Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2014, 11:44   #6466
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
The best last row hands down is the Xylo. Lots of space. Bumpy ride is a discomfort though.
Innova comes second, but only if the middle row is slid forward. Ride is pliant.
Ertiga comes third, but the middle row has to be pushed fully forward which compromises heavily on the legroom for middle row.
If 3rd row space and luggage space is the priority, one should actually downgrade to something called the humble Nissan Evalia. This one has high set last row, leg space and also space for couple of large airport check-in class bags, which can be stacked vertically side by side. Compared to Evalia, Innova is cramped. XUV never had a spacious third row or sliding second row to improve things. As SDP mentioned, I hope that people who are complaining did take a test drive before making the buying decision, as each person's priority is different.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 12:56   #6467
BHPian

I have ruffled quite a few feathers havent I? I never said I am unhappy with the XUV. Mahindra loads its vehicles with features at low cost making it a great value for money.

I know about the XUV's space problems in rear since the vehicle was introduced and hence went for Toyota 2 years ago mainly due to Mahindra's bad service issues with my Scorpio. After a 2 year abuse of the Innova (simply too soft to handle my rough riding) too many dents and bents, decided to change to Scorpio as my present Kodai destination requires a true blue 4 wheel drive. While at the show room, my wife saw the W4 rate card and convinced me to go for the W4 instead of the scorpio due to the features and 2 airbags. As said earlier, XUV is a great value for money. The middle row comfort is as good as it gets. (like the old Amby) The third row seats actually allow you to hang the legs instead of squatting like in most other high end SUVs. All Mahindra has to do is make the middle row movable. (I can move the middle row 2 inches forward by a small cut and paste job but wife wont allow me into her space). Braking is way ahead of Innova and the road grip really excellent except for a slight slip of rear wheels over high speed corners. My broken back wont allow me to be comfortable in any car seat inspite of the good supportive seats in XUV. The first time I used the horn I was wondering on the really low volume horn and then it struck me, the cabin is super silent blocking out all noise from outside. Infact on smooth / freshly laid tarmac, the silence inside the cabin is so nice considering I like quite journeys. The music system / speakers are really good (there goes my quite journey). Good / bad plastics dont matter to me as they dont drive a car. Mileage and durability matters more to me. On the 6th gear, at 120kmh, we get a steady 2.5k rpm which means a better fuel efficiency. When a mobile speaking Swift hit my rear bumper, there was just a scratch instead of a dent. Built rock solid.
Considering the space restrictions, my wife has now learnt to travel light.
It is actually a different reason for my frustration which spilt over on to the space issues. I should have been clear in posting my points.

What really riles me is when people call the XUV500 a SUV when it is just a car posing as an SUV. A highway hero but offtrack zero.

Well thats my opinion based on ownership of 2 scorpios (4 years - 1.55L km), Innova 1yr 9 months - 80K km), XUV (5 months - 20K km). Just hit 20K now (posting a 20K review separately.
My job profile requires me to travel to Mudumalai, Kodai, coorg, monthly, Ooty, Sakleshpur infrequently, where usually the last mile is a 4 track road.

I have taken my previous scorpio almost upto destiny farmstay in Avalanche when conventional wisdom (and locals) suggest a 4 wheel drive or a walk on that road. Driven the Innova on tracks in Coorg where locals use 4 wheel drives. But one trip to Coorg to my usual place and XUV started slipping on a rain wet slope of 1:50 gradient. Maybe a AWD would have pulled easily or a rear wheel drive would have pushed. But the W4 was definitely slipping.
Would like to know any offroading experiences of others with W4

Other cons
Absence of a blower for the middle row AC. At present it is just a "vent" attached to the front blower. They should have put in a blower linked to the third row rear AC (like the innova). By the time the middle row cools, the whole summer gets over.
The usual chinks associated with a Mahindra vehicle which required 2 extra visits to the service center other than the standard service visits.
Other than the park and walk in offroading situations, the XUV W4 is a good ride.
As for space, planning to put up the roufrails carrier when I get time to go to Coimbatore. Does anybody have pictures of an actual fitting?

Wishlist / Suggestions for Mahindra:
Moving middle row
Blower for middle row
Scoop out the back of the third row seats to create an illusion of space in the non existent boot
balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 16:18   #6468
BHPian

Planning to get my 30k service done at TVS trivandrum. Any one here who has contacts there. Who is the best RM I can get in touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
^^

Also, has anyone availed the free monsoon wash offer from M&M. I had received an SMS from them two weeks back asking to send MW to 575758. However on sending the SMS I am getting a reply as my number is not registered in Purple club. On checking the same with customer care they insist that the same number is updated in their records, not sure what the issue is.

Me also getting the same error message. And I cant still understand how I get mahindra related sms's on the particular number when it is not registered in the first place.

FundaG

Last edited by fundagenie : 5th September 2014 at 16:22.
Old 5th September 2014, 17:06   #6469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balan View Post
Absence of a blower for the middle row AC. At present it is just a "vent" attached to the front blower. They should have put in a blower linked to the third row rear AC (like the innova). By the time the middle row cools, the whole summer gets over.
You can cool super fast by keeping the third row side A\c on in summer. It cools in pretty good time.

BTW does Innova have third row a\c? , if so does it have separate volume control in it.
Old 5th September 2014, 17:11   #6470
BHPian

Has anyone purchased the Extended Warranty, are the horns covered in the warranty?

My XUV is going this weekend for its 60k service, and I am already expecting a lengthy list of work. The brakes are squeaking, I am guessing that they are due replacement (was told last time one side set is around 5k, there is some suspension noise (or I am being paranoid) which is now outside warranty (>50k kms). One horn is not working. Sometimes the start-stop doesn't work and keep blinking very fast when you have it in the neutral in sort of an error fashion.

There are some trim and dashboard noises and lately I have seen now the last two fuel points go together that is at around 100km range it falls to the last 2 (the reserve level, but off these it comes to one (blinking mode) now at around 25km - which has now sent me to panic mode twice since the last time I had to manually pump the fuel pump last time. This has definitely happened after the last update of additional digit in the trip meter. Earlier it used to give you atleast a 40km range on the last fuel level.

Anything else that I should keep a check for the service? Am I missing any new updates that I should tell my SA?

In btw the Bridgee tyres are doing a lovely job, with my aggressive driving they are still standing fairly well at 60k km, I think they can easily give me another 10k .
Old 5th September 2014, 17:32   #6471
BHPian

Friends received my purple club membership kit today by hand from the the sales representative. Registered my mobile number for any updates through the process mentioned on the kit.

Friends one thing I noticed. I don't know it's monetary value but it definitely makes your feel special and important.

No idea about what other automobile manufacturers are doing but Mahindra is doing really well in customer relationship management.
Old 5th September 2014, 17:38   #6472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
You can cool super fast by keeping the third row side A\c on in summer. It cools in pretty good time.

BTW does Innova have third row a\c? , if so does it have separate volume control in it.
We do keep the third row Ac on or else it is difficult to manage. Mahindra should have given a blower for the second row to speed up things and preferably roof mount the AC blowers. With full luggage, at least one third row blower gets covered up.
Innova has a roof mounted blower for the middle and back row with the controls on middle row. The cooler (or is it the compressor) is located in the bumper just behind the right rear wheel making it a prime target for damage in case of a hit
Old 6th September 2014, 12:44   #6473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
I have decided already to change the service centre. And I DID show them the pictures from the forum. They say that ,those who were getting the reverse cam running while driving forward must have connected the cam directly to 12v line instead of reverse cam line (they are just making things up , they just didnt accept that they dont know how to fix it.) Their stand is this - Reverse cam starts up only when reverse gear is engaged and cannot switch on while driving and it will show black screen only.

Regarding the service centre, can anybody give me alternate suggestions?
My present ASC is Salem . I have one in Coimbatore , but i have already received reviews that they are not better than the one in Salem. I can either try Bangalore or Chennai. Any satisfied ASC in bangalore or chennai, our members can recommend for ?
I would recommend India Garage in Guindy, Chennai.
David is the Service Advisor and he works too good.
I had serviced thrice so far and few niggles, every time, he fixes it
Old 6th September 2014, 17:23   #6474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dine View Post
I would recommend India Garage in Guindy, Chennai.
David is the Service Advisor and he works too good.
I had serviced thrice so far and few niggles, every time, he fixes it
Thank you very much. I will note it down. Second service is almost near.
Old 7th September 2014, 23:09   #6475
BHPian

Just a small question. What is the wear time / mileage for the front / rear brake pads and drum for the XUV W4?
TIA
Old 7th September 2014, 23:26   #6476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balan View Post
Just a small question. What is the wear time / mileage for the front / rear brake pads and drum for the XUV W4?
TIA
Even W4 has all 4 disc breaks. The condition of brake depends totally on your driving style and the terrain. There are few people who got it replaced in 20k kms running and some where doing fine even at 40k kms.
Old 8th September 2014, 12:11   #6477
Senior - BHPian

Does the Xuv middle row tumble forward fully so that when the last row is folded it gives a flat floor ? If so then providing sliding 2nd row might be difficult IMO because the rails may not allow for full tumbling of the 2nd row.
Old 8th September 2014, 15:19   #6478
BHPian

Hi Friends,

After driving my XUV W6 for 100kms yesterday in mixed terrain of hills, open roads & in city, I have one line for it. (Though copied and modified)

"I forgive the niggles, i forgive the 3rd row comfort, i forgive it all, I feel like God"

I can proudly say that i am "XUVIFIED"
rahul_kej is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 15:35   #6479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Does the Xuv middle row tumble forward fully so that when the last row is folded it gives a flat floor ? If so then providing sliding 2nd row might be difficult IMO because the rails may not allow for full tumbling of the 2nd row.
This picture will clear your doubt. All four rear seats are folded. I find it flat.

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-fold.png
rahul_kej is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 17:15   #6480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_kej View Post
Hi Friends,

After driving my XUV W6 for 100kms yesterday in mixed terrain of hills, open roads & in city, I have one line for it. (Though copied and modified)

"I forgive the niggles, i forgive the 3rd row comfort, i forgive it all, I feel like God"

I can proudly say that i am "XUVIFIED"
Welcome to the club, Rahul! I am sure many of us felt the same way when we first took the vehicle out for a spin. Especially if one is upgrading from a low slung sedan.

The elevated driving position certainly makes you feel you have a commanding view and presence on the road. Those pesky autos look up to you, instead of across, and quietly give way. You don't feel the humps and potholes as much. That phenomenal engine power puts a permanent smile on your face. The sixth gear overtaking of other cars makes you feel immensely proud of the vehicle. The acreage inside the vehicle gives you the space you need for yourself while driving. The looks you get from other lesser mortals always leaves you feeling high.

I could go on like this for some more, but you get the general idea why you have started feeling like God! All the best and happy driving!
Stryker is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks