Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2011, 23:16   #661
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Hi Mahindra,

You are almost there, it is now that i feel that even i can dream of a SUV which looks its been made in the 21st century!
Now spot the XUV!

Name:  bowlernemesisexr3.jpg
Views: 60238
Size:  58.0 KB

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-mahindraxuv5oo05.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-bowlernemesisexr_2.jpg
Old 25th October 2011, 23:37   #662
BHPian

Very interesting interview of Rajesh Jejurikar- CEO, Automotive division- M and M- on XUV, and everything around it. Worth a look.

Infiniti.Rahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2011, 00:26   #663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti.Rahul
Very interesting interview of Rajesh Jejurikar- CEO, Automotive division- M and M- on XUV, and everything around it. Worth a look.
That is a nice quick discussion. more importantly, will it beat toyota vehicles which are build on reliability and trust. most of the vehicles from toyota have excellent support systems and their less maintenance expense.

Last edited by Amartya : 26th October 2011 at 22:19. Reason: Kindly edit out video links qhile quoting a post.Cheers.
Old 26th October 2011, 01:23   #664
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
He says that i have to take it from the dealer and says that it was mentioned on the quote too, which i never received. I only have a receipt of the booking amount which does not state anything like this, so i will fight to death to get it from outside if he doesn't match. I suggest you too to do this. Only concern is that they don't mess up with my delivery dates.
Please ask them to print it on their letter head & pass it on to you. Again I don't think dealers have any hand in allocation procedure. The way I understand, it is handled directly from M&M to ensure no foul play by the dealers. Which dealer is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by f@lcon View Post
I fought with SE for insurance from outside but head of sales intervened said its their rule that it should be in-house to avoid problems during claims later on. he even said he would allot my car to next person if i am not getting insurance with them.
Please ask the sales head to take a hike !! I am wondering you have quietly taken the stride & have not complained to the customer care about this !! Would like to know the dealer name.

Guys, please check with Mahindra directly whether they have given the dealers any instruction of mandatory insurance sale along with the vehicle. 99% it's not mandate to take the insurance from the dealer. Please make a point of this to the company when you call up. Remember, initially there was the scam of charging premium by the dealers for faster delivery and M&M has taken care of that. Hope this also will be sorted out. Unless the company gets to know about the scams, there is little they can do to clean up the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by contactme27 View Post
that is a nice quick discussion.
When you quote videos, please delete the video manually before submitting the post. Too many video posts will make the page heavy for download for the mobile users.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 26th October 2011 at 01:30.
Old 26th October 2011, 09:08   #665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I read a post that you can NOT change the HU in XUV 500? Is that true ? Looks like it's an integrated unit.

There is nothing as a BEST system for any car. It's what is BEST for you. Anwar [Top gear now? previous Autofusion guy] is Bangy is the BEST of the lot for audio set up. Expensive but the quality speaks for himself. Please pay a visit and tell him what your priorities are and what kind of songs do you listen & what's your budget, he will tell you what to go for.

Again the equipment that he sells is only with B&W & is again QUITE expensive. And he is quite OK if you carry the stuff & he will happily install it for you.

Hi there, any idea on a great installer in Delhi/Gurgaon/NOIDA? I guess audiophiles WILL necessarily have to get changes done in the XUV, and one would need a good audio system installer most definitely. Will the sound improve if the head unit remains as it is- which I guess will be the onbly option, and change the speakers? Where do I find some info on how best the XUV 500 ICE be tweaked to a music lover's delight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_sage View Post
Hey Nitin, can you give me the breakup that you've got from your dealer.

For my W8 FWD:

They're quoting the following:
1. Ex-showroom - 1195000
2. Registration - 77500
3. Insurance - 45804
4. Logistic charge + temp no - 4100

Total of 1322404.

I actually thought it should be cheaper in Gurgaon than Delhi
Sir Sage: I guess the XUV will come to be the cheapest in Gurgaon- from a choice of Noida, Delhi or Gurgaon. So thats that. On the insurance front, guess your guy is charging around 10K extra, see I just did a five minutes search on google and came across Bajaj Allianz- which is doing the insurance online, quite transparently at that, at around 33K. The site explains the exclusions and inclusions pretty well and made a layman like me appreciate the nuances of how the premium can be lowered. If you save around 10-12K by buying insurance online, you can get a good pair of speakers for the XUV or maybe something more! Fight hard, fight till the limits- its your own money, save it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti.Rahul View Post
Sir Sage: I guess the XUV will come to be the cheapest in Gurgaon- from a choice of Noida, Delhi or Gurgaon. So thats that. On the insurance front, guess your guy is charging around 10K extra, see I just did a five minutes search on google and came across Bajaj Allianz- which is doing the insurance online, quite transparently at that, at around 33K. The site explains the exclusions and inclusions pretty well and made a layman like me appreciate the nuances of how the premium can be lowered. If you save around 10-12K by buying insurance online, you can get a good pair of speakers for the XUV or maybe something more! Fight hard, fight till the limits- its your own money, save it!
Surprise surprise: I did an online insurance quote search at ICICI Lombard's website- their premium for W8 is INR 24107/- WOW! Thats a lotsa savings by the way, almost a cool 20K- you could go to Bangkok and celebrate your XUV's purchase with this!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by GTO : 27th October 2011 at 12:09. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 26th October 2011, 11:01   #666
BHPian

Quote:
Surprise surprise: I did an online insurance quote search at ICICI Lombard's website- their premium for W8 is INR 24107/- WOW! Thats a lotsa savings by the way, almost a cool 20K- you could go to Bangkok and celebrate your XUV's purchase with this!
I did purchase the Insurance from a outside agent for buying my scoripo. The difference was almost 13K INR for my VLX model . I strongly suggest u to buy it out from a 3rd party
Old 26th October 2011, 12:06   #667
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In Delhi its coming to 1265771 on road out of which insurance is 42101. But i checked outside and i was told 26000 so i am fighting with my SA to either match it or let me have it from outside. He says that i have to take it from the dealer and says that it was mentioned on the quote too, which i never received. Only concern is that they don't mess up with my delivery dates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f@lcon View Post
Here in Bangalore OTR W8 FWD 1488488/- out of which insurance is 46695/-.But HDFC gave me a quote of 25000+ but dealer insists that insurance should be done at dealership.I fought with SE for insurance from outside but head of sales intervened said its their rule that it should be in-house to avoid problems during claims later on.
Hey guys please don't give in to there tantrums. There is no such rule saying that you have to get the insurance from them. This is just plain cheating and god knows how many poor people fall prey to this gimmick.

The insurance outside for your from Tata Aig would not cost more then 30k. I got mine done from Tata Aig for the Altis ( ex-showroom price being 13.4L) and it costed me 32k for the top end package which includes everything from 0%dep to hotel expenses, return to invoice, key replacement et all.

If they scare you by saying that claims will not process then you get the insurance done from the company that they are offering. Thats what I did with Toyota people when they told me the same thing. I told my SA that I will get it done from ICICI which he was offering , from outside on my own. That way there is no issue with claims because they themselves are recommending them. The SA had no answer to this and said but only if sold by dealer it will be free of hassles. He gave in after a few more minutes of knocking the air out of his lame arguement and I happily got the insurance done from Tata Aig.

If need be you escalate this and talk to the company. Or just make some noise in the company showroom and they will probably agree. Regarding delay of delivery, they might do that. But I think all you guys have got a mail from mahindra right regarding your date of delivery. Then the dealer cannot do anything. Please don't give in to such cheating.

Quote:
Hi there, any idea on a great installer in Delhi/Gurgaon/NOIDA? I guess audiophiles WILL necessarily have to get changes done in the XUV, and one would need a good audio system installer most definitely.
Hey you can check out Gyro in moti bagh, Delhi. Its got some good reputation and there USP is excellent installation by well trained staff.

Also please use the Edit button when posting within 20 minutes of an earlier post.
Old 26th October 2011, 13:04   #668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Hi, the full road test is published in the November issue (printed copy).
ACI full road test is posted on the web site as well now
Mahindra XUV500 - Review - Autocar India
Old 26th October 2011, 15:03   #669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please ask them to print it on their letter head & pass it on to you. Again I don't think dealers have any hand in allocation procedure. The way I understand, it is handled directly from M&M to ensure no foul play by the dealers. Which dealer is this?

Guys, please check with Mahindra directly whether they have given the dealers any instruction of mandatory insurance sale along with the vehicle. 99% it's not mandate to take the insurance from the dealer. Please make a point of this to the company when you call up. Remember, initially there was the scam of charging premium by the dealers for faster delivery and M&M has taken care of that. Hope this also will be sorted out. Unless the company gets to know about the scams, there is little they can do to clean up the system.
Its Koncept Auto Lajpat nagar-3.
I have a personal Bouncer (MY WIFE) who loves these kind of situations where you get the oppertunity to scream at people so i will wait for them to open again on friday and will ask her to call and deal with the SA

Quote:
Hi there, any idea on a great installer in Delhi/Gurgaon/NOIDA? I guess audiophiles WILL necessarily have to get changes done in the XUV, and one would need a good audio system installer most definitely. Will the sound improve if the head unit remains as it is- which I guess will be the onbly option, and change the speakers? Where do I find some info on how best the XUV 500 ICE be tweaked to a music lover's delight?
I am one of them Infact i already have so many stuff lying around from past 1 year as i have been looking out for a replacement for my fiesta. Know just need the car to put all that in.

As for the installer, go to Driven in east of kailash if you live in south delhi. He deals with lot of stuff. Maybe we both can go together once we have the car. About the sound, yes there will be a improvement even if you change the speakers, add wiring and amps without changing the HU. Of course if you can change the HU, then nothing like it. Then you can do wonders to the sound stage. I am sure ICE guru's (if they are following this forum) like Gunbir, LBM, BandT, Frank etc can help us in finding a "Juggard" to replace HU for XUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Hey you can check out Gyro in moti bagh, Delhi. Its got some good reputation and there USP is excellent installation by well trained staff.
Gyro had closed down long time back, not sure bout the reasons though.
Old 26th October 2011, 15:08   #670
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Gyro had closed down long time back, not sure bout the reasons though.
Oh I went to them once earlier. when did they close down? There site is still running I think.
Old 26th October 2011, 15:09   #671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh I went to them once earlier. when did they close down? There site is still running I think.
I think its more than a year now.
Old 26th October 2011, 17:50   #672
BHPian

Quote:
I think its more than a year now.
Well, then, Nitin please help me with an alternate. Need a guy who is the best in business in terms of in car entertainment and can do the job for an XUV. what are your plans for your XUV? will you go with factory fitments alone or do some modification for enhancements?

P.S.: I checked Gyro's site- its very much up and running. Why would anyone do so if the shop had closed down? They may have relocated and may be a good idea to recheck.

Last edited by Infiniti.Rahul : 26th October 2011 at 17:58.
Old 26th October 2011, 18:29   #673
BHPian

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.Will surely update after visiting the dealer on friday.

Quote:

WHAT This is really sad. But did you sign anything like a quote which stated that the insurance would be from them? If not then how can they do such things.
No i have not signed any papers that say insurance should be done in-house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
This is Blackmailism from the Dealer. They cannot force you to take the same. Escalate the issue to M&M immediately. I am sure they will intervene.

Also on what grounds would he allot the car to the next person in que. If it is a "cancellation" there will be some forms where you would have to sign. Dont sign on any papers. Who takes "verbal" statements these days.

Dealer cannot enforce his policies to his customers. We are his customer and we are not applying for a job at the dealer. If I have a personal policy, that i will make payment only after 1 year of ownership, will the dealer agree to that ? definetly not. Secondly, If the dealer quotes 90,000/- for insurance, he cannot force it to take it from him.

Ask the dealer to give it in writing and tell him you would initiate action in consumer forums / M&M / Press. I am sure he cannot / will not do that. He is trying to play a phsycology game on you of threatening to sell the car to someone else.

P.S: This might sound cheap, but i have used this on a couple of occassions and has worked in my favour. If you have a VideoCam or even a digicam that takes video, take it to the dealer and ask them to tell on camera that insurance is compulsory from the dealer and if not they will sell the booking to the next one in the queue. Also ask them for a insurance quote split (In Writing) and take a pintout of quotes from Policybazaar.com. This is to show they are overcharging and also forcing you get cheated with them. (similar to overpricing popcorn at movie theaters and not allowing own food inside the hall)

The dealer cannot / will not give such things in writing. He can tell such things verbally and you could record the same on camera. This is valid evidence as per anyone, be it Customer care or Court. If you take just the verbal communication, he will deny the same out-right. Once you have the videotape, his reputation is at hand, so he will agree to match the qoute or will allow to take insurance from outside.

I hope this help you. Please do update on what happens next. Happy motoring !!
Will surely escalate this to M&M and try out your trick also.

Quote:

Please ask the sales head to take a hike !! I am wondering you have quietly taken the stride & have not complained to the customer care about this !! Would like to know the dealer name.

Quote:
Hey guys please don't give in to there tantrums. There is no such rule saying that you have to get the insurance from them. This is just plain cheating and god knows how many poor people fall prey to this gimmick.

If they scare you by saying that claims will not process then you get the insurance done from the company that they are offering. Thats what I did with Toyota people when they told me the same thing. I told my SA that I will get it done from ICICI which he was offering , from outside on my own. That way there is no issue with claims because they themselves are recommending them. The SA had no answer to this and said but only if sold by dealer it will be free of hassles. He gave in after a few more minutes of knocking the air out of his lame arguement and I happily got the insurance done from Tata Aig.

If need be you escalate this and talk to the company. Or just make some noise in the company showroom and they will probably agree. Regarding delay of delivery, they might do that. But I think all you guys have got a mail from mahindra right regarding your date of delivery. Then the dealer cannot do anything. Please don't give in to such cheating.
Already had so much of confusion regarding my delivery dates also, but got solved when regional sales manger came to know about the issue.
Don't know what had happened but got the delivery date confirmed.
Sorry guys quite busy with office work this week Will post the complete experience soon.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th October 2011 at 19:39. Reason: Bold removed.
Old 26th October 2011, 20:33   #674
BHPian

The Autocar India's full review of the XUV 5oo is quite different from its first impressions review. They have definetely changed their opinion about the XUV 5oo mostly on all counts and mainly on handling and ride parameters. So can the reviewers please clarify on that count.

Initially the Autocar India review had said that the ride and handling of the XUV 5oo is very composed and pliant but now they say that its not so good and needs to be improved. They have even commented on torque steer and some other things. So this review of the Autocar India has put me in confusion. So the reviewers and owners can surely comment and clarify.
Old 26th October 2011, 21:56   #675
Senior - BHPian

Gladdy everyone. This post is purely 'My' design review of the Mahindra's XUV 500's exteriors. And it is just about the aesthetic design part of the vehicle, no functional design will be dealt in the following review.
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-xuv-front1.jpg
The front view shows the aggression and attitude that a SUV needs to. Nice looking headlamps with LED strips are really well designed. All the apprehensions of the Mahindra's 'Bunny Tooth' grille takes a good form here (thankfully) Hood also shows the agression really well. The only thing that sorely sticks out and deviates from the otherwise macho stance of the XUV is the ORVMs. A less rounded and more rugged mirrors would've made things near perfect here.
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-xuv-front.jpg
The Fog Lamps have been positioned a bit too low for an SUV, a larger and higher placed fog lamps would help a lot. But no denying that the slits in the bumper, just below the head lamps are unique and 'Cheetah-like' and make the XUV not just to stand out from the crowd, but to intimidate the other cars from out of the XUV's way! The lines from the roof rails grabbing and holding the wind screen tight looks nice too. Muscular wheel arches look good from the front too.
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-xuv-side.jpg
Ah the side now! No one expected M&M to show so much desing flair and attitude in the side shoulder line. Seriously, the flared wheel arch's pronounced effect on the green house shows so much attitude. Awesome show this! Reminds of a Fierce Cheetah in action. And then those vertically operating door handles are stand-out features. But the front profile could have been given some more attention to make it look sportier though.
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-xuv-rearside.jpg
The Land Rover-isq view, clearly inspired by the former brand. Not as aggressive as either the front or the side. The belt line rising to join hands with the rear bumper line is cool. The tail lamps that looked promising from the side, fail to impress from this angle, as your expectations are curbed by the boxy rear tailgate interface.
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-xuv-rear.jpg
The least impressive view by far I would say. None of the aggression from the front and the side is carried over to the rear. And from where on earth did the designers come up with a bulky mass of metal above the number plate housing? They really spoil the tight stretched and chiselled muscles from other parts of the XUV. And the Hitler Moustache inspired number plate plastic surround is awful, at least M&M could've made it body coloured! The silouette from the rear is sporty and good though.
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-xuv-exhaust.jpg
The best part of the rear is the lower most part of the bumper. Nice looking black plastic to give us a raised stance. The integrated reflectors that are well curved with the moulding is superb. The twin exhaust is damn impressive and aggressive as well.
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-xuv-wheel-arch.jpg
Muscles gallore on the XUV! Wow, really meaty wheel arches add oddles of appeal. Though they look a bit too close to the Montero for comfort. But since the Montero is froma much higher segment, it definitely works in favour of the XUV 500.
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-xuv-final.jpg
Overall a thoroughly well executed design. Nice work from M&M, definitely the best from their stable till date. Had the rear been sorted out and designed to match the aggression the XUV exudes from its other sides, this would have been a head turner from every direction. But still, it scores a very good 7/10 in terms of exterior looks.
aravind.anand is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks