Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2014, 04:33   #6826
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Does anybody know if a facelift of XUV is expected next year? I am planning to buy a XUV early next year, but can wait for a few months if there is a facelift planned.
Old 3rd December 2014, 19:16   #6827
BHPian

Hi Guys!!

Just wanted to update you that my XUV other projector bulb too fused. Upon checking at service centre, go to know that there are 2 spare bulbs, so I got one fixed and will keep one for emergency. Also, got to know that they have modified the design of the bulbs now and which is expected to performe bettter. My other projector already had this changed to new design(it has got blue strip inside above the screw ring).

Otherwise I am pretty happy with the XUV experience (touch wood). Planning for a fully laden road trip in Dec end to Pondy. Any pointers on good quality roof carrier will be helpful? We will have 7 adults and 2 kids in the car, so i believe luggage will need a decent carrier. M&M is asking for 11k to 12k and 3rd party I spoke had range available between 5k to 7k carriers.

Also, to add I got lost in Gokarna recently very late in the night and somehow happened to identify that the road went no where and had small trenchs on the side. Road had enough width thankfully for me to turn. Although this was on pretty decent incline and full darkness, I was able to handle it. I think XUV gives me some assurance.
Old 4th December 2014, 19:52   #6828
BHPian

Gents I'm sure this question has been discussed and answered, but the sheer volume and density of information on this site is daunting to me. I'm down to XUV500 w6 or w8, but am not sure which one.

Here in Hyderabad the difference in prices between w6 and w8 becomes significant, on top of the huge road tax which increases on road price by a lot.

So, for me, the only significant differentiator between the w6 and w8 is that the w8 has ESP. Other differentiators such as alloy wheels, colour options don't resonate with me. I can get leather seats for the w6 off market. I'm good also with the 2 airbags of the w6, versus 6 in the w8.

Question is, does the ESP safety feature then justify the on the road price difference between the w6 and w8 of close to Rs 2 lakh? Is ESP as critical as ,say, front airbags?

Thoughts?
Old 4th December 2014, 20:58   #6829
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWake View Post
. Any pointers on good quality roof carrier will be helpful?
If not used frequently you can check out temporary roof carrier from M&M. Saw these fit on new Scorpio at showoom, as per sales person it is possible to fix the same on XUV too.
This is two air pillow type rectangular pads which are belted through the door. I am not able to recollect the rate, but guess it was 4K. Will be useful for lightweight bags only though.
Old 4th December 2014, 21:03   #6830
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'estlavie View Post
the only significant differentiator between the w6 and w8 is that the w8 has ESP.
Apart from ESP, side & curtain airbags, alloy wheels, leather upholstery, the other differentiators are, colour touch-screen infotainment display, GPS navigation, DVD player, Tiretronics, hill-hold/descent control, telescopic steering, power-foldable ORVM and driver-side express down window.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 4th December 2014 at 21:04.
  (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2014, 08:44   #6831
BHPian

Hi Aniket,
Congrats.

I saw in your signature that you had optra magnum before xuv. I have to sell my 2012 optra magnum LT (D) and I am going to book a xuv 500 w8 fwd purple at kochi soon. (With a replaced fuel pump my optra has negligible turbo lag these days)

I feel sad to part with optra,based on your recent experience can you please tell me what I will miss and what I will gain when optra goes and xuv comes in.i am usually a fast driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket6 View Post
I booked my Purple AWD on 22nd October and got the delivery on 31st October.
Old 5th December 2014, 09:22   #6832
BHPian

ESP is a must if someone value safety.

if my knowledge is right then in USA ESP is a must for selling cars.as per Bosch ESC monitors the drive actively 25 times in a second and applies brakes on its own to different wheels when there is a hard driving condition. ( the reaction time is negligible and no human can react at such a swiftness)

See the video of XuV in the above link ,which explains ESP.

Factors that help deciding for ESP below.

1.Your life is precious and probably after 2 years with increased salary and better economic situation the 2 lakhs extra May not be a pain.

2. Another factor is that the number of vehicles in the road is increasing and also the number of reckless drivers.

3. Road safety is poor in our country.

So I made up my mind to go for w8 just for the sake of ESP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'estlavie View Post
Question is, does the ESP safety feature then justify the on the road price difference between the w6 and w8 of close to Rs 2 lakh? Is ESP as critical as ,say, front airbags?

Thoughts?
Tornado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2014, 12:54   #6833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Hi Aniket,
Congrats.

I saw in your signature that you had optra magnum before xuv. I have to sell my 2012 optra magnum LT (D) and I am going to book a xuv 500 w8 fwd purple at kochi soon. (With a replaced fuel pump my optra has negligible turbo lag these days)

I feel sad to part with optra,based on your recent experience can you please tell me what I will miss and what I will gain when optra goes and xuv comes in.i am usually a fast driver
Hey Tornado, after having driven my XUV AWD over 3300 kms in the last month, following are my observations compared to my Optra -

Whats Less -

1. Acceleration in XUV is linear compared to the amazing kick of Optra. Mine being the pre-2009 facelifted model with 324NM torque had lag and was simply ferocious at 2000 RPM. XUV is more calmer and sedate

2. Brakes aren't as sharp as in the optra, however I can feel them getting better with every trip.

3. Ride over minor road undulations is not as compliant. However, it is not so bad.
Also going over bridge joints at high speeds is a bit bouncy. Still well controlled by SUV standards.

Whats More -

1. Amazing view of the road ahead with superb high beam. Vehicles about to overtake other vehicles stop and give way, trucks meandering between lanes just behave and stick to one lane. Stuff like poor dead dogs on the road and potholes are visible way before you are near them and hence easy to avoid. Therefore, average speed is very similar to Optra in a trip.

2. Amazing tractable engine, which can pull cleanly from 60 kmph in 6th gear and therefore fewer gearshifts. By the way, the gearshifts were harder in XUV in the beginning. I can feel them getting smoother in every trip.

3. Tons of features add joy to driving. Such as attending phone calls very clearly over the speakers with a click of a button on steering, changing tracks volume, etc on steering. The music quality is better. The dials look beautiful as well. There is a "Feel Good" factor present in XUV in abundance.

4. More comfortable seats, especially the front seats.

5. No worries over quality of roads in any trips. No worries over the size of speed breakers.

6. My passengers keep saying they feel more secured sitting in the XUV thank the Optra.

7. Better quality interiors. Parts such as power window switches, headlight and indicator stalks, door handles feel very nice.

8. Ability to carry more luggage or more people. (Not both at the same time)

Whats same -

1. Cabin Insulation.

2. Body Roll. XUV is surprising good over corners. (Talking about the AWD, not the FWD)

3. Exterior Build Quality.

Why not go all out and buy the AWD?
Aniket6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 10:23   #6834
BHPian

Someone had requested asking about the suspension difference between 2wd and awd. Only the rear suspension is different. Attaching a photo below. apologies for not having a clearer pic.

And on a side note:- the extended warranty prices are to be hiked from next month.

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_20141205_104958.jpg

Last edited by falconion : 6th December 2014 at 10:23. Reason: typo
falconion is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 10:58   #6835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconion View Post
And on a side note:- the extended warranty prices are to be hiked from next month.
This is no surprise, but is the coverage being extended ???. The extended warranty is nothing but a sham where most of the major items covered under the warranty are not covered.
Old 6th December 2014, 11:35   #6836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
This is no surprise, but is the coverage being extended ???. The extended warranty is nothing but a sham where most of the major items covered under the warranty are not covered.
Shock absorber costs around 8k each. Warranty on shock absorbers is valid up to 1,00,000 km even if it happens to be in the 5th year of ownership while under warranty.

Other coverage:-

MASTER SCHEDULE OF PARTS COVERED

Engine:
Cylinder head and head gasket, oil pump and drive, crankshaft and related bearing and seals, flywheel and ring gear, timing gears, belts and chains, camshaft and related bearings and seals, cam follower, valves (excluding burnt and pitted valves) valve gear, piston rings, connecting rod, gudgeon pin, inlet and exhaust manifolds, internal oil seals, bore/ liner, turbocharger, oil cooler.

Transmission and transfer case:
Internal gears, shafts, synchromesh rings and hub, internal seals, bearings and bushes, selector forks, drive chains, gear lever and bushes.

Cooling system:
Radiator, water pump, thermostat, engine oil cooler, hoses, belts, Intercooler and hoses.

Steering System:
Steering assembly column, shaft bearings, couplings. Tie rods and ends and steering linkages, bell crank

Propeller Shaft:
Shaft, Universal joints.

Front and Rear Axle:
Crown wheel and pinion, differential gears, internal seals, drive shaft hub and hub bearing, drive flange, upper and lower arms, ball joints.

Fuel System:
Fuel injection pump, metering unit, common rail, injectors, high pressure pipes, filter bodies, fuel pipes, cables.

HVAC:
Compressor, condenser, electronic controls, control linkages, evaporator, reservoir (excluding re-charging the system), control panels, flaps.

Chassis System:
Chassis frame, cross member.

Suspension:
Shock absorbers (fluid leakage), spring assemblies, Bushes.

Exhaust System:
Muffler, Catalytic converter.

Electrical system:
Starter motor and solenoid, alternator, wiper motors of windscreen, head lamps, cooling fan motor, horn, relays, indicator flasher unit, gauges, switches, music system* and VMS*, rear demister*, high mounted stop lamp*, Power window* and central locking*
(* where given as a factory fitment)

Casings:
Should failure of any of the components covered in the Master Schedule of Parts result in damage to the casings, then they will also be covered.

Last edited by falconion : 6th December 2014 at 11:39. Reason: pricing
falconion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 13:09   #6837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
If not used frequently you can check out temporary roof carrier from M&M. Saw these fit on new Scorpio at showoom, as per sales person it is possible to fix the same on XUV too.
This is two air pillow type rectangular pads which are belted through the door. I am not able to recollect the rate, but guess it was 4K. Will be useful for lightweight bags only though.
I am also looking for a roof rack. Primarily as i want to use 3rd row seating for kids. Not too keen on ones available in market as removing and fitting them as required will mean a visit to the shop each time. Also i was told that roof racks affects aerodynamics.
Any good leads/advice can help me.
Old 6th December 2014, 13:20   #6838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjjustin View Post
These are the prices for accessories quoted to me.
9 EXTRA HORN - 3700
What was the make/model of the Horn they are putting extra? Which was the dealer?
I am also looking to fit extra Horns.
Old 7th December 2014, 12:39   #6839
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kARTIK IYER View Post
Any good leads/advice can help me.
If removing and fitting is one of your primary concerns you can check the M&M accessory inflatable ones available as accessory for new Scorpio.

As per sales guy those are compatible with XUV's too. However I was not much happy with strapping the same along the door, was concerned it may foul with door channel rubber beading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
Any specific reason you were planning of changing the horn ? Asking since I felt XUV company fitted horns were sufficient.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2014, 14:01   #6840
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
What was the make/model of the Horn they are putting extra? Which was the dealer?
You may find this post useful: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3057065
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks