Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2014, 02:59   #6871
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Hi guys. I have completed 40k kms in my 2012 July W8. There are some niggles which have crept up -
1. When I turn the steering completely to the right or to the left, I can hear a continuos ' click click ' sound which disappears only when the steering is rotated in opposite direction(only minutely). This has crept up after my 40k service.
2. There is a peculiar grinding sound of metal rubbing against metal, which is a continuous sound which starts as soon as I fire up the engine and stops only when I turn off the engine. Due to this the car seems 'heavy' and lethargic and there is increased engine noise at all times. This problem was there even before the 40k service and has again crept up ten days after I got the car back. I guess I will have to ask the SA again to look into the problem but don't have the time to visit!
Any pointers on how to resolve the above niggling niggles?? I didn't post it in the niggles thread as I don't want to make in any longer hehe..

Last edited by abhinavinc : 15th December 2014 at 03:11.
Old 15th December 2014, 09:23   #6872
BHPian

Ive been trying to connect the blue sense app with my iPhone 6 but every time it says the connection has failed. I'm able to pair it with the phone and take calls etc. Anyone else facing this problem?
Old 15th December 2014, 14:09   #6873

Hi! Friends, I got it. Finally got hold of a Service executive at Service centre.
Chassis or VIN number for the purpose of RTO work / tracing is located on the right side (driver side) shocker strut mount inside the engine bay.

A little bit dust on it and you are going to miss it.

thanks
roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby007 View Post
Hi! Friends, need help of XUV5oo owners. I am not able to find where Chassis /VIN number is located in XUV5oo. I need to trace it on paper for getting the NOC from RTO for transfer of Vehicle from one state to another.

I did find a small plate after opening the Driver side door but RTO agent says it should be some where on body and the one traced from plate won't work. Tried locating it into engine compartment but no luck.

I even called Mahindra toll free and they gave me the service manager number. The service manager told that it should be near Battery in engine compartment but I could not locate that.

So requesting, if you guys know and traced that on paper for any RTO work please enlighten me.

thanks

roby
roby007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 18:48   #6874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavinc View Post
2. There is a peculiar grinding sound of metal rubbing against metal, which is a continuous sound which starts as soon as I fire up the engine and stops only when I turn off the engine. Due to this the car seems 'heavy' and lethargic and there is increased engine noise at all times. This problem was there even before the 40k service and has again crept up ten days after I got the car back. I guess I will have to ask the SA again to look into the problem but don't have the time to visit.
This is the problem which was reported by few owners earlier. It was due to oil pump failure. I would advise you to get to ASS as soon as possible else if its the same reason there can be serious engine damage.
rahul_kej is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2014, 14:16   #6875
Senior - BHPian

Hi folks!
I travelled to Mandu-Maheshwar yesterday from Indore. The trip was great but the navigator was way off the mark. It made us go round and through silly roads to Mandu. The road sign posts were better bet to follow. While coming back from Maheshwar, it was a disaster when it led us to SH-1 during night (cannot even think that such roads can exist on the name of state highways). The 45 km SH-1 stretch took us about 2 hours. The roads were non existent with big craters right in the middle. Then it led us to ghat area where the road tested all capabilities of the XUV in addition to the driving skills. In the hind sight it appears to be an adventurous drive. However, I would not like to be led to such routes unless I opt for it.

My query to fellow bhp-ians is that do we have settings in navigator to opt for the highways/main route instead of a shorter/bad route? Any suggestions to overcome this problem will be highly appreciated.

Last edited by TaureanBull : 21st December 2014 at 14:18.
TaureanBull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2014, 16:52   #6876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Hi folks!
I travelled to Mandu-Maheshwar yesterday from Indore. The trip was great but the navigator was way off the mark.
Hey Taurean, welcome to the frustrated XUV Map My India Users club

I too had a similar experience from Bangalore - Pondicherry, a few days back, where almost 120 kms was the most pathetic road. I shudder to think what would have happened had I been in a sedan.
I think it's important to research the route before undertaking any drive. I find Google Maps most useful, and in fact on the return journey used my phone to provide the voice guidance. Additionally before the journey it's useful to Google for road condition on a particular track. After my misadventure I found a 3 year old discussion on Trip Advisor warning users to avoid that particular route suggested by Map My India.
If you do not subscribe to Map My India, you do not get any updates, whereas Google Maps being sourced via internet, is being updated constantly; at least that's my sense. In fact I'm looking for a mobile stand which I can fix adjacent to the dashboard so I can use the phone guidance more comfortably by being able to view the screen while driving.
Heavy Horse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2014, 19:53   #6877
BHPian

Has anyone got insect mesh installed in there XUV front grill, seeing the amount of insects getting stuck on the radiator I feel its very important to get it done.
Old 21st December 2014, 22:42   #6878
BHPian

Hi Aniket,

Thanks for the detailed comparison and inputs.

I first booked a purple w8 ( 2wd) but later changed it to Silver. I took the delivery of the vehicle on Friday (19th) and completed 200+ KM .
Very happy with the decision to buy silver. XUV is my Christmas gift

I also noticed the good pulling power on higher gears such as 4,5 & 6 with full load. ( tried in NH 49 , the road leads to from Kochi to Munnar). I tried to stick to less than 2000 RPM always though.

In broken roads it feels bit jerky compared to Optra , may be due to tall design.

Now I have to sell off my 2012 Optra at Bangalore. Though I do not like to part with it, I have to sell it due to parking issues and other stuff.

A big thanks to all BHPains in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket6 View Post
Hey Tornado, after having driven my XUV AWD over 3300 kms in the last month, following are my observations compared to my Optra -
Why not go all out and buy the AWD?
Old 21st December 2014, 22:47   #6879
BHPian

Mahindra Purple club organised a golfing Sunday today @ Kochi. I was an awesome event. Me and my family had a great time and we got to experience something for the first time. Event had golf training sessions,putting competition and they also served breakfast and lunch. Great event by Mahindra Purple club. Looking forward for more such events.
Old 22nd December 2014, 09:40   #6880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post

If you do not subscribe to Map My India, you do not get any updates, whereas Google Maps being sourced via internet, is being updated constantly; at least that's my sense. In fact I'm looking for a mobile stand which I can fix adjacent to the dashboard so I can use the phone guidance more comfortably by being able to view the screen while driving.
Hi
I dont have MMI on my XUV W4.
But have MMI and google maps on my phone. Even in cities, I find MMI kind of outdated as it updates maybe only once a year whereas google maps is more upto date. So if you can get a android based music system, it can couple as a navigation device for your vehicle by using a GPRS / gps connection
balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2014, 10:41   #6881

Mod Note: Post deleted. Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 22nd December 2014 at 10:56.
Old 22nd December 2014, 12:32   #6882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post

I too had a similar experience from Bangalore - Pondicherry, a few days back, where almost 120 kms was the most pathetic road. I shudder to think what would have happened had I been in a sedan.
Yes. you are absolutely right about Google maps and Map My India. You may add TomTom Maps also to that list. None to beat Google in regular updation. They even update Road diversions by Traffic authorities in Chennai with in 3 to 4 weeks and guide you based on that! The only issue is that you have to be on line always spending your data pack
Seran Manian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2014, 14:03   #6883

Hello again!

Driven about 400km+ now. Got some stuff installed yesterday for the car - a Front Guard, Rear Guard and Side Steps. Have dropped the idea of a carrier for the time being unless a good road trip is planned with the extended family! Until then I think I dont need anything.

Actually occupied the car fully on Sat night - although a small distance of only 12 kms it was a good experience. Wife and I purposely sat in the 3rd row seats to get a first hand feel of the last row. We found it quite comfortable. Long distance is something I would experience and then give a verdict but for city commute I think they are fine. The bumps are a little more than in the front seats. The great part of the 3rd is the dedicated AC vents. In a city like Mumbai (even in winters) I think its an awesome feature especially the flow control knob. Makes things much easier.

The music system - the speakers are really horrible by any standards. I compared the same song on the XUV and my Polo (both with stock speakers) and the Polo was way ahead. Really terrible speakers the XUV has. No bass (well almost) at all. Planning to change to something which has more bang!
Old 22nd December 2014, 16:03   #6884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saneguy View Post

The music system - the speakers are really horrible by any standards. I compared the same song on the XUV and my Polo (both with stock speakers) and the Polo was way ahead. Really terrible speakers the XUV has. No bass (well almost) at all. Planning to change to something which has more bang!
Totally agree with you. However, did you play the music from a USB drive. Cos I have noticed the quality improves by a notch when playing from your mobile via bluetooth. Especially if the mobile equalisers are available while in bluetooth mode. In a way, you get two set of equalisers - the advanced one of the mobile and the basic one of the XUV infotainment. And that helps in improving the music quality. Try it out and see. May still not match with your Polo ...

FundaG
Old 22nd December 2014, 17:32   #6885
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Any suggestions to overcome this problem will be highly appreciated.
One workaround I have found is to add way-points en-route. This will help in the routing. However one issue with this is, if you are mentioning a town in your way-point it will route you to that town center and then navigate to your destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_kej View Post
Has anyone got insect mesh installed in there XUV front grill, seeing the amount of insects getting stuck on the radiator I feel its very important to get it done.
I too have seen this. However is it really required to have such a mesh, since it will also restrict air flow to radiator?
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks