Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2015, 14:46   #6961
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
A car will anytime have a better ride than a SUV. Its the laws of physics at play here. SUVs have a high COG and it is really difficult to achieve a flat ride in them, like we get in cars.
You need to drive the Renault Duster and Pajero Sport.
Old 21st January 2015, 14:56   #6962
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Bang on FundaG. You and me are possibly the rare ones who are still hanging on to their age-old Alto even after getting the XUV.
Add me too in that list. My daily ride is still my Alto

Quote:
XUV's suspension is tuned for high-speed and high-load combination . Just put 5 people in the car and a weekend's luggage for them and hit a highway. Around 100kmph of cruising speed, you will understand what I am talking about.
Exactly. Infact I feel the undulations which are very much noticeable in low speeds are dismissed without any thought in higher speeds. I look the glass as half full in this case, good that suspension is set as hard and bouncy rather than soft

Regarding the MMI routing issue, I guess the best is to set your destination via route points. This will help in the map showing the exact route you want.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 16:02   #6963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Add me too in that list. My daily ride is still my Alto

Exactly. Infact I feel the undulations which are very much noticeable in low speeds are dismissed without any thought in higher speeds. I look the glass as half full in this case, good that suspension is set as hard and bouncy rather than soft

Regarding the MMI routing issue, I guess the best is to set your destination via route points. This will help in the map showing the exact route you want.
I agree that suspension is good at high speed and it carry good load on highways.
but It all depends on usage. we don't buy 2 cars with one for daily city commute and another for highways. Car performance should not be skewed in favor of one specific usage. they should have kept commute on bad roads in mind which are plenty in India.
Old 21st January 2015, 23:18   #6964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
but why safari, innova, pajero and other similar size vehicles don't exhibit this bouncing nature. I think it is something special with Mahindra suspensions as I see the same dancing in Scorpio also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
I actually found the new gen Scorp to be better than the XUV in terms of ride quality!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Have to agree that Mahindra has not done a really good job with XUV's suspension. Something which had been communicated to Mahindra as one of XUV's shortcomings. Now with the new gen scorpio having a better suspension, there is always the possibility of an improved suspension setup in the future XUV models. May not be an easy upgradation considering one is monocoque design and other ladder frame. So will have to wait and see. And hoping we current owners also get this one way or other at no extra costs.

Apart from Safari, the others - Innova, Pajero and Duster are from proven international brands, who should have cracked the formula of suspensions long back. Still I have heard Toyota Fortuner is no match when compared to Innova in terms of riding comfort. So maybe it depends on some factor or the other.

Renault provides one of the best suspensions. Try driving a Fluence on the worst roads at high speeds and you wont feel even a single thump. I have done that and its remarkable. Infact the sales guys keep highlighting it as one of main strong point . So Duster and other Renault cars cant be any bad.

FundaG
Old 21st January 2015, 23:33   #6965
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Still I have heard Toyota Fortuner is no match when compared to Innova in terms of riding comfort. So maybe it depends on some factor or the other.
The Fortuner is one of the worse riding vehicles out there. The XUV ride is leagues ahead of the Firtuner's. My dad forced me to take the next U-turn and head back home during a TD cause he was just too uncomfortable with the hard and bumpy ride.

The Innova is a different league.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 09:02   #6966
BHPian

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img20150122wa005.jpg

My friend just purchased an XUV.
He installed a bumper as shown in the photograph. I pointed out that it may foul with the airbag sensors and he is now looking for alternative. Can someone throw light on whether these do foul with sensors and do we have one which does not have any effect on the sensors.
Thanks in advance
Old 22nd January 2015, 10:28   #6967
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
Can someone throw light on whether these do foul with sensors and do we have one which does not have any effect on the sensors.
I don't think there is any guards which will not interfere with the sensors.

More than the sensors I feel the guards will interfere with the crumple zones in a event of a crash.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 10:35   #6968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
Attachment 1331306

My friend just purchased an XUV.
He installed a bumper as shown in the photograph. I pointed out that it may foul with the airbag sensors and he is now looking for alternative. Can someone throw light on whether these do foul with sensors and do we have one which does not have any effect on the sensors.
Thanks in advance
XUV being a monocoque design, bull bars only provides a cosmetic benefit. Any frontal impact would affect the overall body of the car. In a ladder frame design the bull bars transfer the impact to the frame and hence save the body panels from any major damage. Also as clearly noted by you, it would affect the air bag sensors. I have not come across any other option for XUV so far. I also would be interested if there is one.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 10:58   #6969
BHPian

Quote:
XUV being a monocoque design, bull bars only provides a cosmetic benefit. Any frontal impact would affect the overall body of the car.
FundaG
Thanks
When discussing the issue, my friend gave the explanation that in case of minor bumps nothing will happen but in case of major crashes, the guard will collapse.
I however feel that time is of paramount importance here, in case of a major crash , by the time bumper collapses (which may or may not) precious milliseconds are wasted and that is the distance between life and major injury. Now he is also on look out for one that does not foul with sensors
Old 22nd January 2015, 11:01   #6970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by o.D View Post
Any recommendations for fully synthetic engine oils. Will be at the garage for the regular service and want to move to fully synthetic oil. Help please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_kej View Post
Never came across anyone who has used fully synthetic engine oil for XUV. I feel everyone is quite satisfied with the company recommended engine oil and I would suggest you to stick to basics. Just my point of view.
Quote:
They have some hybrid oil prescribed by Mahindra ( not sure if it possible to have mixture of mineral and synthetic oil). Why to not follow what manufacturer suggests unless you have strong reason for not doing so.
Fellow BHPian Manipal has been using Shell Rotella T6 a fully synthetic oil.
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-20141113-19.01.57.jpg
He's extremely happy having purchased it from Amazon. Landed cost in India is around Rs 10K and should easily last 20K kms. I am seriously considering it.
Check this out for more information on Shell Rotella
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-20141113-19.01.44.jpg  

Heavy Horse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 12:19   #6971
o.D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
Check this out for more information on Shell Rotella
5W-40, checking if its available in Mobil and also OWS. Any changes wrt the gear box oil.

Thanks a ton Heavy Horse.
o.D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 22:21   #6972
BHPian

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Hi guys any news on the automatic variant of the xuv? Possible launch month?
Old 25th January 2015, 09:48   #6973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but why safari, innova, pajero and other similar size vehicles don't exhibit this bouncing nature. I think it is something special with Mahindra suspensions as I see the same dancing in Scorpio also.
Compare a Safari, Innova, Pajero to a Linea, Octavia, Accord respectively and you will see that the SUVs always bounce around more.

I do not think the XUV bounces around like the Scorpio. Ultimately, it is just a matter of personal preference between the XUV, Innova and Safari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I have driven the Duster in India. The Duster is a low slung vehicle (comparatively) with a low COG when compared to the XUV and other SUVs. It definitely has an advantage over there. Plus I am not denying that the suspension itself is brilliantly tuned. But make the Duster as tall as the Scorpio and I doubt it will offer the same ride comfort.

I have not driven the Pajero Sport, so no comments on that.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 25th January 2015 at 09:51.
Old 25th January 2015, 10:57   #6974
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Who said Safari doesn't bounce?
I have a different opinion.

And then, Innova is more of an MPV and not an SUV. So, the body language would be different.
In the same breath, I also acknowledge that the Xylo is also an MPV, and it rolls like a boat at high seas. (May be due to the ladder on frame design).
Yes, like you said suspension also plays a part.

Duster, Terrano and Ecosport are more car like in behaviour due to its lesser size proportions in comparison and wider Wheel track. After all, those are five seaters and would have better driving dynamics.
Law of physics ofcourse plays- higher the CG, lower the stability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The Fortuner is one of the worse riding vehicles out there. The XUV ride is leagues ahead of the Firtuner's. My dad forced me to take the next U-turn and head back home during a TD cause he was just too uncomfortable with the hard and bumpy ride.

The Innova is a different league.
I second you Vidyut.
Fortuner is bad in ride quality. However, its sturdy. No questions about that.

I don't think its fair to consider Innova as an SUV
Old 25th January 2015, 11:26   #6975
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Try driving a Fluence on the worst roads at high speeds and you wont feel even a single thump. I have done that and its remarkable. Infact the sales guys keep highlighting it as one of main strong point .
If I drive a Fluence on bad roads at good (forget high) speeds, both the bumpers will depart from the car in a matter of seconds.

A car will be composed over bad roads, some more than the others and same goes for SUV.

Pick your poison (after TD) No need to
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed