Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2015, 23:15   #7156
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeVenu View Post
I have been a regular follower of this thread and have finally made up my mind to go for the cheetah, am booking one in next 15 days. I heard that the entire brake Assy has been replaced by M&M for brake pad wear and the new ones don't wear out so fast. Any comments, as 10K for a set seems too less.

Also I am still confused as regards to,the colour of the cheetah Grey, purple, silver or white. IMO all 4 look great any suggestions to bolster my decision are welcome.
As per a few reports, a new facelifted XUV is just around the corner. So may be you should wait.

About color, you get beige interiors with white exterior color. So keep the interior color also in mind while choosing the exterior color. Dark colors are very difficult to maintain. I have a red XUV and its a nightmare to maintain the color. White and Silver would be safer bets.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2015, 23:44   #7157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
As per a few reports, a new facelifted XUV is just around the corner. So may be you should wait.

About color, you get beige interiors with white exterior color. So keep the interior color also in mind while choosing the exterior color. Dark colors are very difficult to maintain. I have a red XUV and its a nightmare to maintain the color. White and Silver would be safer bets.
Thanx SDP, is there a fixed date for the launch, I do understand that the updated version is long overdue but any insights on the likely dates. Any member having links at chakan would be able to confirm since, if the launch is few months away the assembly line would be gearing up including trial production runs. The dealer has no clue but he may feign ignorance just to clear his inventory. I am hearing about the updated ver since sep without any thing concrete.
Regards
Old 10th April 2015, 11:05   #7158
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanx SDP, is there a fixed date for the launch, I do understand that the updated version is long overdue but any insights on the likely dates. Any member having links at chakan would be able to confirm since, if the launch is few months away the assembly line would be gearing up including trial production runs. The dealer has no clue but he may feign ignorance just to clear his inventory. I am hearing about the updated ver since sep without any thing concrete.
Regards
Test mules are being seen for a few months now.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...t-testing.html

Here's more concrete information about the new look:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...spy-shots.html

AutoCar has mentioned that the launch would be in May'2015.
A few weeks back, MotorBeam had claimed that the launch would be in April'2015.
Old 10th April 2015, 12:31   #7159
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
I read somewhere that the date of launch of revamped XUV is May 2015. I am planning to book an XUV within next two weeks, should I wait for it or dismiss it as a rumour. Not that I am expecting something amazing but why buy the last of the model being phased out. Please advice.
Yes the reports says it is coming by May. I would suggest waiting till then.
Old 10th April 2015, 12:32   #7160
BHPian

So, allow me to share the experience till date of the W4. Since the recent discussions are on the mileage, i'll focus on that.

1st full tank to full tank - 719 km in 45.5 ltrs - 15.8 kmpl (this is correct method right?). Daily ride is from Dwarka to Gurgaon, so i do get 5-6 km of bumper-to-bumper traffic. Weekend is typically across the city in moderate traffic. Although I have always been a docile driver, this has surprised me greatly. I am doing up-shifts at around 1500 rpm range. Also i use the car momentum a lot (by putting it in neutral and letting it roll) in high-traffic stretches. I hope this is a correct approach.

There are no issues as of now. Only thing I am finding tough is of slotting the 1st and 2nd gears, that too occasionally - this by the way, I am comparing to i-10 so may not be a correct comparison. So I guess I am pretty satisfied with the overall running and handling.

Reverse camera and sensors take a while getting used to. I nearly crushed a scooter the other day. Fortunately no major damage.

Also, I have started getting the right of way at crossings and instances of people cutting across has reduced.
shekatkar31 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th April 2015, 13:37   #7161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Test mules are being seen for a few months now.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...t-testing.html

Here's more concrete information about the new look:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...spy-shots.html

AutoCar has mentioned that the launch would be in May'2015.
A few weeks back, MotorBeam had claimed that the launch would be in April'2015.
Thanks SDP. It really seems that the launch is just around the corner. Since it is arguably more to do with cosmetic changes any update on power plant or the interiors as no shots are available on these only speculations.
Old 10th April 2015, 16:35   #7162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I read somewhere that the date of launch of revamped XUV is May 2015. I am planning to book an XUV within next two weeks, should I wait for it or dismiss it as a rumour. Not that I am expecting something amazing but why buy the last of the model being phased out. Please advice.
IF you are not in a rush, then doesn't hurt to get the refreshed version, even though it may not be very significant but still Mahindra would include improvements over existing one.
Old 11th April 2015, 07:47   #7163
BHPian

Hi guys,

I need to buy a good XUV body cover. Bird drops and dust makes it messy in my parking bay. Any advice on best online buy and is cloth material better than polyster.
Old 11th April 2015, 10:01   #7164
J.Ravi

If one is able to buy a spare from a Mahindra dealership over the counter [OTC], he/she must be lucky. Yesterday, I was lucky it seemed.

Day-before-yesterday, while driving on the Zuluk zigzag ghat road in Sikkim, I got the 'check engine oil' alert on my XUV 500's instrument cluster several times. So, I parked my XUV 500 at Thambi View Point, Zuluk, clicked some photographs and checked the engine oil level after about 10 minutes only to find that the oil level was just a few mm above the minimum mark. Usually, the oil level used to be at the maximum level or just a few mm below max mark in my XUV 500. The alert did not flash afterwards. Even then, I decided to procure a litre of engine oil, top it up and keep the remaining as spare. When I was driving on the Guwahati bypass road yesterday morning on my way to Ginger Hotels for checking in, I found Poddar Auto Corp and decided to shop there before checking into the hotel as I had a lot of time to spare.

The receptionist at the service station said that there was no OTC sale available there. Then, I asked her to take me to the conerned staff in the service station. She took me to one Imran inside the office. Imran also parroted the same lines. He added that their tehnician would do the needful by checking the engine oil level, pour the required quantity of oil and hand over the balance quantity of oil to me to keep it as spare. That was the procedure, he explained. Then, I asked, what would be their labour charge plus taxes. He replied, ₹ 100 or so. I told him that I was a not a fool to pay ₹ 100 to them to just pour a few hundred ml of oil, thanked him and left the place. The service manager, Singha, who was witnessing the entire conversation, requested me to sit in front of him, asked Imran to prepare a requisition for one litre of engine oil and he would authorize the OTC sale. When, Imran was busy preparing the documentation for this big task, I was hosted with a cup of tea. Then, Imran wanted the RC of my XUV 500! He came out with me with a can of one litre of engine oil to the parking lot, where my XUV 500 was parked with my wife waiting in. He handed over the can and collected the RC went to the office again followed by me. They entered the vehicle and the ownership details into their system and prepared a bill. I paid ₹ 332 by cash, thanked them, collected the RC and walked out after about 30 minutes! Phew, the mission was accomplished at last!

I checked the oil level twice in the hotel, only to find it near the maximum line! Now, the can of one litre of engine oil remains unused and unopened and is enjoying a sound sleep in the boot.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 11th April 2015 at 10:20.
  (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2015, 15:55   #7165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekatkar31 View Post
....1st full tank to full tank - 719 km in 45.5 ltrs - 15.8 kmpl[/b] (this is correct method right?)...
Correct. And congrats; that's a good FE for the vehicle.

Quote:
....Also i use the car momentum a lot (by putting it in neutral and letting it roll) in high-traffic stretches. I hope this is a correct approach...
Wrong! This is called coasting and one should NOT be doing it. Keep the car in the correct gear Vs speed. If you have to brake under such circumstances, you do NOT get the benefit of engine braking and the brakes have to put the extra efforts.

Quote:
....There are no issues as of now. Only thing I am finding tough is of slotting the 1st and 2nd gears, that too occasionally..
I think this is a known issue. Might get better with time.
Old 11th April 2015, 16:25   #7166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
and checked the engine oil level after about 10 minutes only to find that the oil level was just a few mm above the minimum mark. Usually, the oil level used to be at the maximum level or just a few mm below max mark in my XUV 500.

I checked the oil level twice in the hotel, only to find it near the maximum line! Now, the can of one litre of engine oil remains unused and unopened and is enjoying a sound sleep in the boot.
How would it happen - once you have seen it just a few mm above the min mark and then in the hotel it is just near the max mark ? You didn't add the oil that you purchased - right? Then?
Old 11th April 2015, 16:41   #7167
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tMax View Post
How would it happen
I suspect that due to steep gradient on the zigzag road, the sensor might have got confused and sent erroneous alert. While descending the ghat and on the plains, I didn't get any alert later. Perhaps, I had checked the oil level a little too early before the circulated oil settled down in the sump. The service manager of Poddar Auto Corp, Guwahati was emphatic that the oil level should be checked only when the engine was cold. But, the owner's manual states that it should be checked after 10 minutes after the engine was switched off.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 11th April 2015 at 16:48.
  (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2015, 16:57   #7168
BHPian

Gear 1 /2 -

Folks,
My XUV went for 5k service recently. I was not fully satisfied with the feel of engaging gear 1 & 2. Its kind of a notchy feel, where you feel gear 1 isnt engaged properly when you are starting the vehicle.

The service center( G3 , Nerul) said they did bleeding of clutch. But that didnt help. Today I went for a test ride with their senior guy. He said, its like this only in all XUV.

Any inputs for me. I wanted to know do I escalata further or not.
Old 11th April 2015, 18:19   #7169
BHPian

Friends,

Is the third row really that bad in the XUV that its strictly only for kids?

I have finally decided to go ahead with the XUV 500 W6. Just waiting for the may 2015 refresh.

After waiting for so many other models to launch, i look back and wonder why i have delayed my decision to go ahead with the XUV.

First, i waited for the Mobilio, i paid the advance and then backed out because of the cheap interiors and poor value in comparison to ERTIGA.

Second, i waited for the Scoprio refresh, but i didn't like the interior space to i stopped myself.

Third, i waited for the Lodgy. I was unimpressed with the middle row and boxy looks. I can't get myself to go ahead there too.

Last edited by acidkill : 11th April 2015 at 18:22.
Old 11th April 2015, 21:44   #7170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
Friends,

Is the third row really that bad in the XUV that its strictly only for kids?

I have finally decided to go ahead with the XUV 500 W6. Just waiting for the may 2015 refresh.
I have been owning the XUV for the last 5 months and have covered 13k kms. A lot of the times we have used the last row of seats for adults and I am satisfied with the space it offers. It isnt that bad, that its only for kids. Best case scenario is with 6 adults, i.e. using only one seat at the last row and the other one for luggage of the 6 adults. By the way, the AC works wonderfully there and you do get a good view of the road ahead. Additionally, with the XUV being super quiet on the inside even at 120 kmph, people at the last row can have clear conversation with people.
Aniket6 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed