Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2015, 16:16   #7366
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Shield - you can not do much. The prices are fixed at Mahindra level and the dealer margin is thin.
Handling Charges - Quite on the higher side. You can negotiate.
Insurance - Comprehensive insurance at 60K is practically a fraud. Take your own insurance. My guess is, even after adding zero-depreciation, it would be at least 10-15 thousands cheaper. Get a quote from outside and show it to the dealer. Sometimes they do match it. If not, opt out of dealer provided insurance and take your own.
I would agree with SDP on the shield part. Handling charges, start from "ZERO".For insurance, go ahead and get the quote from outside, like Bankbazar etc. And use it as a bargain tool. For both my renewals ( 1st. and 2nd. year) I did the same with my dealer and they complied. Business is hard nowadays. Try HDFC, they gave me the best rates, in comparison to Bajaj & TATA AIG. And yes, keep in mind only take quotes from companys', those have tie ups with the dealers. for cashless facilities.
me_sid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 16:33   #7367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
People who have already clocked 50K+ can provide more accurate feedback.
Thanks SDP.

I was looking at understanding which all check-ups should I do in this 50K service. Anything to be replaced etc.

On the service cost calculator, it talks about Air Filter as mentioned by Ravi sir in the above comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
No. Mine has crossed 30 k km.

I logged into withyouhamesha.com and here are details of the works that are required to be carried out at 50 k km service as per the service cost calculator:

Attachment 1377287
Thanks so much Sir.
peterjim13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 18:04   #7368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post

with you 101%. But what an irony to my situation. My elder sister and brother-in-law, who were one of the earlier adopters of the XUV had to deal with Power Steering failure in a crowded marketplace and even the gear box replacement. That was enough to dent their confidence and even mine. She was repenting on selling her 6 year old, trustworthy Innova. She sold off her XUV within one and a half year of ownership and I lost all the appetite to go for one after going through similar other horror stories.
Man, I would not blame you or your sis for not choosing XUV ever. Unfortunate and hoping that there are no more such cases happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandras1 View Post
Supertinu, Raj and AutoIndian, thanks guys.
AWD because of couple of reasons. #1. I don't want to regret the lack of it *after* buying. #2. I understand its an active system and hence can be useful even on a regular highways under slippery conditions.

All that said my main concern is this. After 6+ years would Mahindra have the same commitment to service/support this vehicle or they would have moved far ahead that commitment levels come down ? There's a little bit of personal exp. here that fuels this concern - I do observe this with my Scorpio service
If budget is not a constraint then doesnt hurt to go all out with W10 AWD. Otherwise if regret is going to be only once in a life time event, then probably not worth the money spent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
Apologies for quoting you on this post, but I am seriously looking at understanding what I would expect from the 50K service of my XUV 5OO. I had made a post a bit earlier but was not able to get any assistance.
Sorry, my car is only 2 month old so I am not the best person to help answer this query

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Had gone to the Mahindra showroom saturday and got the price quote for W10 FWD (the new/refreshed version):

ex-showroom: 1501600
Registration/Road tax: 123728
Comprehensive insurace: 60847
Handling charges: 7500
Shield: 21348

+ They can give around 10% discount on any accessories that i chose to add on.

My question to the group: is there some flex with the dealers on insurance, handling charges or shield or do i more or less take this as what the cost is going to be?

Aside, did a very short drive of the vehicle (a W8 FWD). The dealer said he can arrange for a proper test drive of a W10 this week as thats when the TD vehicle is arriving. This was my first time on a vehicle so high in seating! The only other time has been the Outlander and the Pajero Sport. Found the M&M softly sprung. Maybe i will get used to it after some use.
cheers.
As already pointed out that insurance premium is a big scam. I managed to get Bharti Axa comprehensive on my W8 for 30K with 25% NCB from my earlier insurance. So just check outside first and then ask dealer to price match else get on your own.

Btw regarding your observation of softly sprung XUV, I am not sure if this is an artifact of new XUV to make it more compliant ride. The earlier XUV doesnt feel softly sprung. Its actually a bit harsh on pot holes at slow speeds.
supertinu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 19:47   #7369
BHPian

Many thanks SDP, me_sid, supertinu for the revert.

i forgot all about zero dep!! quite silly of me. thanks for pointing that out.

From the comments it is apparent that there is a decent amount of float that needs to be taken out from the quote. I am not including NCB. Planning to have this as the 3rd vehicle, as-
OT: The planned replacement for cedia should be the Octavia 1.8TSI. the NCB should get used there.
Old 1st June 2015, 23:10   #7370
BHPian

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Did test drive of W10 last week.

1. Good road presence
2. Great comfort in driving
3. Clutch is very light - am surprised to note this
4. Middle row passenger did not feel the body roll inside the cabin as it was felt in previous versions.
5. Have other enhancements interms of interior and other electrical equipments.
6. Nothing to say about last row as enough has been spoken about it.

Overall it was pleasant to drive XUV.

I was just driving on two lane and single lane in interior roads of cuddalore and Villupuram districts yesterday. When there is bus or tractor coming in the opposite direction, there isn't enough space to manoeuvre Duster, do you think it would become more difficult with XUV on such roads. Do note that XUV is just 7cms wider than Duster but still want to have this clarified

Last edited by couswheels : 1st June 2015 at 23:14.
Old 2nd June 2015, 13:28   #7371
BHPian

I visited VVC Motors, Hyderabad yesterday and took a W10 (the only TD model available) out for a test drive. This is the second time I am driving a XUV 500, the first was a colleague's 2012 W6. Here's my opinion -

- The new dual tone in the interior is more pleasing than the previous version.
- Good braking. I saw posts that said the previous versions, though all disc, would give a feeling as if they were drum.
- Smoother gear shifts. But I felt the position of the gear stick was a little bad, making it uncomfortable to shift with ease. Maybe its the arm rest behind eating some space; maybe it was my seat position; maybe I am comparing it to my Honda City ZX.
- Cabin noise acceptable, not the quietest of cabins.

I am looking at a W6. The prices quoted by the dealer are below.

Ex Showroom Price - 1250224
L&F Charges - 10500
Zero Dep Insurance - 59817 (Looks very inflated)
Road Tax (Telangana State; 14%) - 175290

On Road Price - 1495831

Friends, I seek you advise on the following -

- Who among the 2 dealers (VVC Motors and AML) is the best in Hyderabad?
- Have corporate discounts been announced on the new XUV 500 models? What is the best I can expect for a W6?
- Do you think the handling charges and insurance is okay or inflated. On insurance, I plan to transfer NCB from my existing car to the new one.
- Does it make sense to wait a couple of months before I book?

Thank you for your time.
Old 2nd June 2015, 13:44   #7372
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by couswheels View Post
When there is bus or tractor coming in the opposite direction, there isn't enough space to manoeuvre Duster, do you think it would become more difficult with XUV on such roads.
On such narrow roads, one has to get down to the shoulder to give way for the HTV without any ego. Similarly, I will not take any chance with the tractors. I wish to be far away from the tractors. During my recent drive to Sikkim and Arunachal Pradesh, I reversed my XUV 500 several times to a wider and safer spot on some narrow ghat roads to give way for HTV. One has to be prepared for this.

Old 2nd June 2015, 13:50   #7373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
No. Mine has crossed 30 k km.

I logged into withyouhamesha.com and here are details of the works that are required to be carried out at 50 k km service as per the service cost calculator:

Attachment 1377287
Why is Air filter changed in every service interval though its mentioned change in 40K and 80K kms service or if car used in extreme condition.
Old 2nd June 2015, 13:55   #7374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsuresh View Post
I visited VVC Motors, Hyderabad yesterday and took a W10 (the only TD model available) out for a test drive. This is the second time I am driving a XUV 500, the first was a colleague's 2012 W6. Here's my opinion -

- The new dual tone in the interior is more pleasing than the previous version.
- Good braking. I saw posts that said the previous versions, though all disc, would give a feeling as if they were drum.
- Smoother gear shifts. But I felt the position of the gear stick was a little bad, making it uncomfortable to shift with ease. Maybe its the arm rest behind eating some space; maybe it was my seat position; maybe I am comparing it to my Honda City ZX.
- Cabin noise acceptable, not the quietest of cabins.

I am looking at a W6. The prices quoted by the dealer are below.

Ex Showroom Price - 1250224
L&F Charges - 10500
Zero Dep Insurance - 59817 (Looks very inflated)
Road Tax (Telangana State; 14%) - 175290

On Road Price - 1495831

Friends, I seek you advise on the following -

- Who among the 2 dealers (VVC Motors and AML) is the best in Hyderabad?
- Have corporate discounts been announced on the new XUV 500 models? What is the best I can expect for a W6?
- Do you think the handling charges and insurance is okay or inflated. On insurance, I plan to transfer NCB from my existing car to the new one.
- Does it make sense to wait a couple of months before I book?

Thank you for your time.
I am also considering W6. I have been quoted a handling charge of 7500 and in noida, registration and road tax will amount to Rs. 103479 while rest are same. It always makes sense to get the insurance quote from outside/online and then ask the dealer to match the price if he can ( you can easily save upto 20k) .If you can wait, there would definitely be some discount around festive season. As of now, I don't think they would be giving away more than 10-15K, that too will depend on your negotiation skills. Wish you luck.

Last edited by Storme_on_d_way : 2nd June 2015 at 13:58.
Old 2nd June 2015, 13:59   #7375
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Why is Air filter changed in every service interval though its mentioned change in 40K and 80K kms service or if car used in extreme condition.
Actually, they are air filter assembly - mesh type [particle filters - 2 Nos.] meant for HVAC to be replaced at every 10 k km and not for engine.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 2nd June 2015 at 14:02.
  (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 12:06   #7376
Senior - BHPian

Hey Folks, in all the hype of the new launch I missed updating that I completed by 1st roadtrip last to last weekend. Drove down to Kodaikanal from Bangalore. Total of ~980km roundtrip with ~800km driven on national highways. Overall a very pleasant experience. Brief summary points mentioned below with details planned for my ownership review which hopefully I will write down before hitting 5k km mark
  • Effortless cruiser. I limited myself to 2500rpm since car only had 1200km on the odo. Which means in 6th gear I could easily cruise at 120-130kmph at 2300 rpm. Speed is not felt at all on the inside. Tyre noise is prominent at higher speeds compared to wind noise. I have OEM bridgestones
  • Adequate braking power at high speeds though tyres squeal under hard braking
  • A/C performed well at high fan speeds esp in hot parts of TN hitting 44 deg. Middle row cooling needs the 3rd row vents turned on though to maintain cool temp
  • Very comfortable seating. I was the sole driver both ways and didn't feel tired after ~10hr drive one way
  • Got 14kmpl at highway sections and total avg of ~13kmpl including ghat sections. Similar nos between MID and tankful method
  • With 4 adults, 1 kid and tons of luggage I did most of the ghat section in 3rd gear with AC on. Commendable driveability
  • Despite being in market for a while, XUV still gets some attention when parked. I noticed that in few places
  • The advantage of tight suspension becomes obvious on the highway. Bumps dismissed with aplomb with no need to slow down
  • I noticed that car shudders a bit when I slipped the clutch in steep inclines when starting from standstill

Last edited by supertinu : 3rd June 2015 at 12:09.
supertinu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 19:06   #7377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
  • I noticed that car shudders a bit when I slipped the clutch in steep inclines when starting from standstill
That is due to the hill hold function of the vehicle. The brakes are applied while you are slowly releasing the clutch to prevent roll back.

Its a feature
falconion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 19:18   #7378
BHPian

Autocar India test drive of the new age XUV5OO

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 22:09   #7379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconion View Post
That is due to the hill hold function of the vehicle. The brakes are applied while you are slowly releasing the clutch to prevent roll back.

Its a feature
What I am referring to is not due to hill hold. What I noticed was that at sharp incline once you start releasing the clutch the hill hold would be released, after that as you gain momentum on half clutch, thats when the shudder or vibration was felt. Not sure if its normal or specific to my vehicle. I have noticed it in mild form when I am trying to go over a bump in my office parking from stand still as well.
Old 4th June 2015, 00:48   #7380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
What I am referring to is not due to hill hold. What I noticed was that at sharp incline once you start releasing the clutch the hill hold would be released, after that as you gain momentum on half clutch, thats when the shudder or vibration was felt. Not sure if its normal or specific to my vehicle. I have noticed it in mild form when I am trying to go over a bump in my office parking from stand still as well.

I took a test drive of the new age xuv 500 near Kullu in HP and didn't notice any such behaviour. I was driving on pretty steep inclines and bad roads. Could be vehicle specific?
dhruv45in is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks