Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2015, 18:53   #7411
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritualuv View Post
Having said that, M&M could have made more substantive changes rather than a meagre 31 official ones. When Mercedes E class was upgraded in 2007, the facelift version had 2000 official technical improvements. In this respect I would say Mahindra has missed an opportunity.
Just my 2 cents.
Quoting you to request for a link to the 31 changes. Kindly help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
SDP, i was referring to SpiritualUV's comment of 31 official updates. Assuming he has some data on it. BUt I think counting 31 wont be tough since Mahindra would consider removing the rear light motiff also as a change
I am not much interested in whether the number is 31 or 50 or even higher.
I am interested in knowing what are the exact changes. Its easy for M&M to mumble about "drivetrain ratios have been tweaked" etc during launch as half of it is gas anyways. But, if they mention "different drivetrain ratios" in a officially released list of changes, I would trust that there is indeed something done to the drivetrain.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 19:18   #7412
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
I am not much interested in whether the number is 31 or 50 or even higher.
I am interested in knowing what are the exact changes. Its easy for M&M to mumble about "drivetrain ratios have been tweaked" etc during launch as half of it is gas anyways.
In that case figure out the guy who bought this forum's, I think, the first New Age XUV. He thought everything was a quantum leap over the old XUV and I think even suggested that the old XUV had a sluggish in-gear acceleration in comparison to the new one which leaps ahead with its new gear ratio. He might be able to tell you everything about the new gear ratio, if not M&M.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 19:39   #7413
Senior - BHPian

Very good experience with XUV5OO so far in 93k kms and 26 months of ownership, except an incident where clutch didn't got released after the full press. Have to be towed to the workshop. Good thing it didn't happened during the Ladakh trip. Otherwise, its a beauty to drive, esp long drives.
Surprise is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 19:52   #7414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
XUV's middle row is more comfortable than the captain seats on Innova ? Apart from this , I feel that XUV s middle row seats are placed a bit higher . Even the middle row passengers get the view of the road (which is good).
The innova I had was a bench seat in middle row. I prefer the bench seat in the middle row for my requirements. The middle row is really spacious and comfortable in the XUV
Best regards
balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 20:50   #7415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
supertinu, Never heard of the 31 updates. Any link that you can point me to?
NDTV talks about the 31 new features but has listed down only 16 of them
NDTV
Prash22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2015, 13:14   #7416

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
SDP, i was referring to SpiritualUV's comment of 31 official updates. Assuming he has some data on it. BUt I think counting 31 wont be tough since Mahindra would consider removing the rear light motiff also as a change
I couldn't recall where I saw it but as Prash22 mentions, it was the NDTV review. Personally I could only count 22 changes from the Xuv 500 website under 'What's new'.
Old 11th June 2015, 14:16   #7417
BHPian

Now it is more than two weeks after the official release of New look XUV500 and there is no full road test / review anywhere. I am on the lookout for that in Team-BHP, Auto car India, NDTV and On drive. They have only tested it inside Mahindra's Test set up and yet to test it on various roads to asses its ride and handling. Is it not a bit surprising?

Last edited by Seran Manian : 11th June 2015 at 14:19.
Old 11th June 2015, 14:42   #7418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post
Now it is more than two weeks after the official release of New look XUV500 and there is no full road test / review anywhere. I am on the lookout for that in Team-BHP, Auto car India, NDTV and On drive. They have only tested it inside Mahindra's Test set up and yet to test it on various roads to asses its ride and handling. Is it not a bit surprising?
Hi there. It is pretty surprising that none of major auto experts have done a full fledged road test of the new XUV500. They all seem to be interested in the new Honda Jazz and S Cross at this moment. But knowing TBHP, I am sure they will bring their detailed test drive report pretty soon.
Old 11th June 2015, 15:58   #7419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritualuv View Post
You are a hard man to please. Fact is your entire opinion will change the day you buy it,its because something called pride of ownership kicks in. The vehicle becomes your identity and you want to take pride in what you have settled for. Also, the vehicle grows on you and you get used to it. No 2 cars are the same and each one has to get accustomed to. The run in period isn't just for the machine, its also for the man. Both have to get used to each other.
I have switched to an XUV from a Merc E class and am well pleased with the efforts of M&M. Even if there are any minor drawbacks,I can live with it because hey, its an Indian car made by an Indian Co., Indian components with no major outflow of forex. That's good for me.

Having said that, M&M could have made more substantive changes rather than a meagre 31 official ones. When Mercedes E class was upgraded in 2007, the facelift version had 2000 official technical improvements. In this respect I would say Mahindra has missed an opportunity.
Just my 2 cents.
I am humbled by your love and respect towards Indian car brand and its success. I am too of the same sentiment when it comes to Indian car makers, who are successfully competing now with foreign brands, in foreign lands! But the fact is that the cars which go out of India, are made differently. They are much safer, much better finished, much better materials used, and much more value for money for a typical buyer of that segment. Where as in India, the Indian made cars in these segments will feel cheaply built.

For me, the pride of possession of a car comes before the actual possession happens. I can't afford to regret buying a car on its looks and features and then get accustomed or adapted to the car to make my money's worth. It's my honest opinion about the XUV. Of course, any car will grow on you once you start using it everyday extensively. But as said, I should have kept my expectations lower, and I would not have been disappointed.

XUV500 is a great car and a bold move for Mahindra. Cars like the Fluence which are superbly built, are struggling to sell. Its all about perception of quality and expectation of utility from the car. I for instance feel that the Duster is better in terms of fit and finish and was over all easier to get used to, in a short test drive. XUV is probably an overkill. It could have been practical and not radical. I have always appreciated Mahindra cars, my friends have Xylos and Scorpios, but I would not own one just yet. It needs to mature a little bit more and there is that scope of improvement still.
Old 12th June 2015, 23:11   #7420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Very good experience with XUV5OO so far in 93k kms and 26 months of ownership, except an incident where clutch didn't got released after the full press. Have to be towed to the workshop. Good thing it didn't happened during the Ladakh trip. Otherwise, its a beauty to drive, esp long drives.
Its heartening to hear that its holding up pretty well. How would you describe your driving style? Do you tend to push the vehicle to the limits?
Old 13th June 2015, 05:32   #7421
BHPian

Hi all is it possible to remove one of the two seats from the last row in a XUV? I am planning for a drive to shirdi from Coimbatore with 6 adults on board but not too keen on using a roof carrier. If at all I can remove one of the two seats from the third row then I'll have enough space for our luggage. TIA
Old 13th June 2015, 11:56   #7422
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
Hi all is it possible to remove one of the two seats from the last row in a XUV?
Any specific reason why you wanted the seat to be removed? Since if only accommodating regular sized luggage is the reason you can very well fold down one of the last two seats and place the luggage there.

In a case where you are able to remove the back seat also, I don't think you will save much space since the floor below the seat is bit high.
Old 13th June 2015, 14:43   #7423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Any specific reason why you wanted the seat to be removed?
I need to fit in 2 medium sized trolley suitcases along with a few duffle bags since it is going to be a 7 day trip. On our recent 4 day trip the car's rear was jam packed so am sure I'll need that extra space :banghead:
Old 13th June 2015, 23:52   #7424

Hello folks,

It has been a while, since i had posted about my 'disappointed faith' in the MnM guys, after I had the issue with my center console top opening drawer (waterfall). However, with great pleasure i would like to keep you all informed the Mumbai Service station (Kurla) got my job done!
Amazing attitude and support shown by the Head Services (Mr. Amol Surve) and RM (Mr. Sandeep Pawar); they had simply taken on heir shoulders to ensure I have change in opinion about the service and made sure everything is sorted properly.

Kudos to MnM and truly thankful to their team!

Cheers,
SK
sKHAIR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2015, 22:58   #7425

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
I am humbled by your love and respect towards Indian car brand and its success. I am too of the same sentiment when it comes to Indian car makers, who are successfully competing now with foreign brands, in foreign lands! But the fact is that the cars which go out of India, are made differently. They are much safer, much better finished, much better materials used, and much more value for money for a typical buyer of that segment. Where as in India, the Indian made cars in these segments will feel cheaply built.
Thanks for your kind words and I agree, India is an extremely price sensitive market where every car major struggles to keep costs down. Fact is, even if Merc or BMW were to sell a completely Indian designed SUV for 16 lacs, it would suffer hugely in terms of quality,fit and finish. Conversely, if price were not a factor then Mahindra can and would give you a world beater.

Then there are others like Toyota who are selling their outdated models in India as they've already made money from them, so why not use it for low cost markets. Perfect example is Innova which was launched in 2002/2003. Already matured in other markets.

You may wait for the XUV to mature but there are 100,000+ who have taken a leap of faith to back an indigenious brand without waiting for it to mature. They have suffered the growing up pangs in term of numerous initial niggles and defects but still stood by the brand. My hats off to all those initial buyers and I'm sure Mahindra values them immensely.

A brand has to grow in the home market first and foremost before it can be a success overseas and I have no doubt that Mahindra will be in Pole position in years to come as far as an indigenious home grown auto maker is concerned.

Just my 2 cents
Spiritualuv is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed