Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2017, 07:01   #7741
BHPian

Answers:
1. The headlight lamp and indicator bulb was changed on request. They were defunct.
2. Disposable protective kit is the disposable covers they put on seats to protect them from soiling during servicing
3. Pclc is brake calliper greasing - The brakes were making a squeaking sound earlier which is not there now so am not sure if this is because of this.
4. Maximile is engine oil, mandatorily to be changed in this servicing as per manual
5. GL protection is Gear oil lubricant
6. Egrc is exhaust gas sensor cleaning which the SA said is helpful in recalibration of the sensor to remove exhaust gases (could be non-essential, please suggest)
7. Item 23 is injector cleaning/servicing and item 25 is engine oil additive (SA said that this helps in maintaining viscosity of the engine oil for next 20k kms - appeared non-essential)

8. Tyre RnR is tyre rotation and after that there was alignment and. Balancing. I could get this outside but was not sure of the quality outside as once it spoiled wheels of my Linea upon getting alignment done outside.

I reported the only problem of headlight lamp being defunct. No additional changes were asked for and yes i have made the payment as I thought if taking this hp with MnM since I was not sure of the unessential items herein and wanted to have expert's views (from Tbhp members) first before I ring the war horn
Car-riedAway is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 07:23   #7742
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
My take is, it's a royal loot! Please helps us by answering below questions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-riedAway View Post
Answers:
I have to agree with swiftnfurious here.

It looks like some things have been added in for the sake of it (GL protection, #25 for engine oil additive, and possibly #23 for injector cleaning) - this is a typical ploy by service centers to boost their profits, by suggesting various "value-adds" that are not always required, or are priced significantly higher than the effort/materials involved.

For example, you've paid ~ Rs 1,600 for the engine oil, but then paid an extra Rs 1,000 for this additive, at the SA's suggestion. Manufacturers of vehicles and oils never ask you to add any additives by default, so you can easily challenge the SA why they are using such a crappy engine oil that it needs such an expensive additive.

There are other things which are complimentary with other manufacturers that you've been charged for, such as the car washing and plastic covers for seats (I mean, seriously? You're paying because the mechanics overalls are dirty!). I don't expect these charges on any service bill, and they definitely should have been waived for as high a bill as yours (for example, when I went in for some bodywork on my Getz that cost about 11k, Advaith Hyundai threw in a free car wash and free wax polish).

Ideally, and in future, you should look at your XUV5OO's manual to see what items are covered in the scheduled service, and then question the SA on every additional paid item that he adds to his job card. The manual's maintenance section will also specify if any additives are actually recommended. Given the sort of bill they've hit you with, you might want to consider babysitting your XUV during its next service, or potentially changing the service centre.

In terms of course of action regarding this bill, I'll let other actual owners comment on how to handle it, given their general experience with Mahindra.

Last edited by arunphilip : 23rd January 2017 at 07:24.
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 08:11   #7743
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-riedAway View Post
I reported the only problem of headlight lamp being defunct. No additional changes were asked for and yes i have made the payment as I thought if taking this hp with MnM since I was not sure of the unessential items herein and wanted to have expert's views (from Tbhp members) first before I ring the war horn
As per my understanding following items are adding to the huge bill and need to be reverified:

Parts:
PCLC - brake caliber grease? - 311
GL Protection - grear oil additive? - 755
wheeldrumcare - ?? - 900
MASC - ?? - 533
UPROTECTION - Underbody ?? - 1749
MAXIcare air lock - ?? - 132
EGRC - ?? - 429
RPG - ?? - 1044
SVL - ? - 299

You can ask them to take off a lot of these things unless you asked for them specifically. Most look like typical service center fraud items.

On labour side:
Brake- bleeding should not be charged if brake fluid replacement is part of scheduled service. That's what the 3000Rs is for. Same for battery level and washing.

For WA-WB + rotation they seem to have charged you 700+560+ 275 (balancing weight) + 500 (rotation). This is too high, but in standard range for a XUV service center. At least rotation should not have been charged. Did they remove the tyres from the wheel and flipped it on same wheel by any chance?

PS: Please click sharper pics in good light. Just going through those blurry invoices for last 15 minutes gave me a headache. :P

Last edited by SDP : 23rd January 2017 at 08:29.
SDP is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 21:39   #7744
BHPian

Have written to Mr. Anand Mahindra and M&M and have received a response from them. They have asked for the invoice and my concerns. Have told them that the servicing guys don't tell about what are the services that are essential to do and what are the ones which are only good to do but not essential so that customers can take a decision as to what they want to get done and what not, and also what IS to be done. Will keep you all updated. Thanks for your inputs and time.
Car-riedAway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 18:53   #7745
BHPian

Finally after lot of hob-nobbing, the service station manager called in to say that as the process of reversal of payment is difficult they would compensate me in next servicing i get done through them. I told him point blank that that is subject to me coming back to them for another servicing. Shot a letter to Mahindra regional office on following lines:
"If Mahindra wishes to close this matter as above, I would like to at least ensure that there are strict directives "in writing " to all service stations to refrain from any such malpractice. Also, as I mentioned there should be a check list for customer to see what are the mandatory prescribed activities and what are the additional ones that are being sold to him."

Received an assurance from the regional office that they have already taken necessary steps( though not informed me as to what steps, which I have asked from them now), however I am doubtful if anything of this sort would happen. So if any of the fellow bhpians, in Delhi-NCR, face the same problem as me and are not informed about what services are essential and what not, please let me know so that we can take this up further with Mahindra regional office.
Old 2nd February 2017, 18:38   #7746
BHPian

Guys, I have done 13k KMS on the ODO with a fair bit of heavy braking. Of late i have been getting grinding noise from the front brakes. What I have observed is that the screeches are more when I have shorter ride but get subdued over longer distances. Have visited the service centre a couple of times where they have "cleaned" the brake pads but the noise just refuses to go.

My query is whether it is normal to have a such wear of the brakes in just 13k kms.
If I need to change the pads, should I go with the stock option provided by Mahindra or there is a better quality/longer lasting option available.
What is the cost involved.

Last edited by SDP : 2nd February 2017 at 20:55. Reason: typo
Old 2nd February 2017, 20:51   #7747
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelator View Post
Guys, I have done 13k KMS on the ODO with a fair bit of heavy breaking. Of late i have been getting grinding noise from the front brakes. ....

My query is whether it is normal to have a such wear of the brakes in just 13k kms.
With heavy braking, the brake-pads could wear out that early. Even moderate brake users have reported brake-pad changes in 20K kms. So looks like the brake-pads that Mahindras use are of a that grade/quality.

Quote:
If I need to change the pads, should I go with the stock option provided by Mahindra or there is a better quality/longer lasting option available.
What is the cost involved.
About 5K for front. Slightly less for rear. No idea if there are aftermarket options available. Please do check that out. Might help others as well.

PS: Please ask the service center to measure the thickness left on the current brake-pads before taking a call on replacement. Also do get the rotors checked for damage due to worn out pads.
Old 3rd March 2017, 22:15   #7748
BHPian

Hi all. I want to know if any of you use OBD dongle on your XUV and if so, which one? I also want to know what parameters you get from the OBD. Do you get fuel information from OBD? Can OBD be used to modify engine parameters? I drive a 2012 W8.

Regards,

Narayan.
Old 21st April 2017, 17:04   #7749
BHPian

Hello Everyone, Today i went in for the 40,000 km service, and reading various customer feedback i was a bit scared for the bill that i might end up with. My total came up to be 10,729 which i think was a fair price that was charged. I will attach the copy of the bill and would welcome any feedback. I did the routine service and also had them change the transmission fluid as the manual said to change it after 2 years or 1,00,000 km whichever was earlier. Also a pipe in the coolant system was leaking, it was replaced free under warranty.

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_20170421_161631.jpg

I would like to raise two queries i had regarding the change in break fluid. I was made sure that the oil is changed after a Brake Fluid Flush, but on my inspection only one brake caliper lining was opened the service manager said that the system will take out all the fluid. Even after i told the RM that the fluid needs to be bleed from all the brakes he assured me this is the correct procedure.
Secondly, the valve on the brake caliper was left open and the fluid was just dripping. I pointed out that Brake fluid is highly corrosive and this will damage the caliper. The supervisor again ignored this and the brake caliper was cleaned with a cloth after the whole process was finished. Here is a picture of the caliper with brake fluid all over it.

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_20170421_120603.jpg

I wanted to know, are my worries correct and should i contact any authority regarding the ignorance. Also will the brake fluid damage the component in any ways?

Last edited by kushgandhi : 21st April 2017 at 17:15. Reason: word repetition
Old 22nd April 2017, 00:50   #7750
BHPian

Hi all just back from Yercaud in our XUV. I noticed an oil like liquid sprayed on the rear left wheel and front right wheel y'day morn before starting the vehicle. Called our RM and he said it's perfectly normal. Anybody else faced this issue?

Had anybody tried removing just 1 seat from the last row? On my next trip it'll be 6 adults and 3 trolleys​ so thought of removing the left side seat from the last row.
Old 25th April 2017, 15:27   #7751
BHPian

Attachment 1631543

I would like to raise two queries i had regarding the change in break fluid. I was made sure that the oil is changed after a Brake Fluid Flush, but on my i

Attachment 1631542

I had a similar experience too, during the 40000kms service. Usual practice at service centres is to use a suction pump and and suck the fluid in the reservoir only,as not many ask, How is it done?. But even i insisted fluid to be bled from all the wheels. The workshop guys agreed to my request and cleared the fluid in the system with the suction pump. I was keenly supervising the process, and in the meanwhile the reservoir tank was not filled with new fluid. This lead to introduction of air in the system, which could not be removed fully by the suction pump. The SA took me along for a trail and the brake pedal was so spongy that he had to use hand brake to stop the vehicle. They further bled the system by opening the nozzle at each wheel, without the draining tubes attached to the nozzle, spilling the fluid all over. I was a mute spectator to this practice, as the clock ticked 5 30 pm, and everyone in the workshop was in a hurry to pack up. I asked the SA to water wash the wheels immediately from below the car, purchased another 250ml of new fluid for myself, both of which he obliged to. I drove the car in 3rd gear till my house, 60kms,as the brakes were still spongy, and bleed the brakes myself the next morning at home, with my father at the driving seat to apply brakes. I covered another 18000 kms (odo 58000kms) without issues.

Lesson learnt, bleed the fluid from all wheels, but keep filling the reservoir with new fluid, as and when it goes below the minimum mark, this will ensure no air is introduced to the system. Bleeding has to be continued, till new fluid, which is near transparent, oozes out of each nozzle.

Last edited by manipal : 25th April 2017 at 15:29.
manipal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 21:52   #7752
Team-BHP Support

Lots of unnecessary items are billed in post #7741. The OP is doing things right. They can take money at will but refunding involves process & typical reluctance. Be polite but be firm.

The disposable protective items are inclusive in the service charge, they are not supposed to be bill you separately for that.
One more thing, the items are already on MRP & I assume, taxes are paid, why charge tax again & then again in the final bill? This is plain wrong and warrants a fraud cause IMHO.
Old 25th April 2017, 21:56   #7753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
The items are already on MRP & I assume, taxes are paid, why charge tax again & then again in the final bill? This is plain wrong and warrants a fraud cause IMHO.
The price of the products mentioned in the bill is before tax which is lower thn the MRP, and once you add the taxes total comes out to be equal to the MRP. So there is nothing wrong in that.

I make sure to calculate the MRP separately and then recheck it on the bill. It's the same
kushgandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 15:58   #7754
BHPian

Do we have any major risk of getting XUV serviced from any local good garage?
Anyone here, has such experience of getting XUV services from local garage which is not an ASS ?

Why am I asking this is because -

I have got my XUV serviced from Mahindra ASS today at Pune (Silver Jubilee Motors). Its a 4th paid service at 30K kms.

I am surprised to see the bill amount of 10k which includes 5k for front wheels brake pad change and reaming for A/C filter change and inspection only.

They charged Rs 600 only for inspection of brakes of all four wheels. This is too much for only inspection of brakes.

Note from Support: Please wait for your post to be approved by the mods before posting it again. Thanks

Last edited by Eddy : 28th April 2017 at 17:04. Reason: Note inline
Old 28th April 2017, 17:02   #7755
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shriram81 View Post
Do we have any major risk of getting XUV serviced from any local good garage?
Anyone here, has such experience of getting XUV services from local garage which is not an ASS ?
If you get the car serviced from outside your warranty / extended warranty stands null & void. Not advisable.

A better approach would be to get an estimate of the service cost before you give the go ahead and remove all things not mentioned in the service booklets. They are seldom useful.

That said, if you want to explore options outside M&M, please look in our directory section for recommendations.

Most Viewed