Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2018, 17:59   #7786
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaktisarangi View Post
The ground clearance of the Tiguan is actually around 190 mm and is more than adequate for anything except the toughest off-road trails. With respect to VFM, IMHO the Tiguan comes with 4 wheel drive which the Endy lacks and the quality of interiors is at a different level altogether. The handling and performance is also better than the Endy. My suggestion is, take a test drive once and then you can decide.
Thanks. I guess t won't hurt to take a look at it. However I looked at the specs sheet on Volkswagen Tiguan India site (https://www.volkswagen.co.in/en/spec...es/tiguan.html) and still found the ground clearance to be 149mm. It also doesn't state specifically it's an laden clearance. Anyhow this is an off topic discussion. Short of it is it needs a look and will check it out. The one sore point is missing that 6th seat after me, my wife, my parents and my brother.
Old 18th April 2018, 18:14   #7787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUE_AANJANEY View Post
It was my perception along with my wife, mom and dad.
Endeavor is the car to go from the list you have given. Or may be the new XUV W11, which is priced competitively.

Was there any reason you opted not to look at Crysta?

However, If you still want to have a second look of Hexa, go for another TATA dealership who may have a better test drive vehicle.
I have been driving Hexa XTA from last 6 months and 13K kilometers and it has been a wonderful experience. There are no rattles, no squeaks and no niggles.

Last edited by prasanna_indaje : 18th April 2018 at 18:26.
Old 18th April 2018, 18:29   #7788
BHPian

Quote:
It was my perception along with my wife, mom and dad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna_indaje View Post
Endeavor is the car to go from the list you have given. Or may be the new XUV W11, which is priced competitively.

Was there any reason you opted not to look at Crysta?

However, If you still want to have a second look of Hexa, go for another TATA dealership who may have a better test drive vehicle.
I have been driving Hexa XTA from last 6 months and 13K kilometers and it has been a wonderful experience. There are no rattles, no squeaks and no niggles.
Crysta was not considered for one plain reason - I still wish to buy a butch SUV / Crossover rather than a MPV. I have a love for trucks and somehow even the best of sedans aren't able to shake that love. :P

Sure I'll try to take a second look at Hexa. I'm getting the test drive of the new W11 XUV this weekend as well, though it's unlikely I'll pick that and choose to sit in the same cockpit for another 4-5 years, but you never know.

For Hexa after much retrospection, the sticking points are -
1.) AT variant is minus AWD (Okay even the Endy 2.2 is , but it has loads more working in it's favor with the first being there street presence itself)
2.) AT is also minus ESP and rollover mitigation. That is significant security feature omission and really absurd from Tata. Looks like AT customers are getting penalized for picking one over the 4x4.
3.) How to get a good setup on the Hexa with Android Auto or at least a good spot where the phone can be mounted for Navigation (strictly use Google maps)? Can the head unit of Hexa be replaced with a aftermarket one which offers such features?
4.) And that arm rest for which I'll always have to fight with my wife or brother for elbow space.

Last edited by Zappo : 18th April 2018 at 19:02. Reason: Fixed the quote issue
TORQUE_AANJANEY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 19:33   #7789
BHPian

Quote:
Crysta was not considered for one plain reason - I still wish to buy a butch SUV / Crossover rather than a MPV. I have a love for trucks and somehow even the best of sedans aren't able to shake that love. :P

Sure I'll try to take a second look at Hexa. I'm getting the test drive of the new W11 XUV this weekend as well, though it's unlikely I'll pick that and choose to sit in the same cockpit for another 4-5 years, but you never know.

For Hexa after much retrospection, the sticking points are -
1.) AT variant is minus AWD (Okay even the Endy 2.2 is , but it has loads more working in it's favor with the first being there street presence itself)
2.) AT is also minus ESP and rollover mitigation. That is significant security feature omission and really absurd from Tata. Looks like AT customers are getting penalized for picking one over the 4x4.
3.) How to get a good setup on the Hexa with Android Auto or at least a good spot where the phone can be mounted for Navigation (strictly use Google maps)? Can the head unit of Hexa be replaced with a aftermarket one which offers such features?
4.) And that arm rest for which I'll always have to fight with my wife or brother for elbow space.
You can wait for the Honda CRV. 7 seater with Diesel engine. May not be butch though. Expected launch by this year end.
Old 18th April 2018, 20:12   #7790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari View Post
You can wait for the Honda CRV. 7 seater with Diesel engine. May not be butch though. Expected launch by this year end.
That was hot on my cards ever since I saw the Autocar early review of the 7 seater CRV with 160 horses. But ever since I came to know it will only come in 120 hp guise in India, the interest faded away almost immediately. There was this quirky auto gearbox anyway. But 300 Nm of torque and 120 hp motor on vehicle over 20L is utter shame. It may have the low end grunt due to 9 speed AT but I'm expecting a very timid mid range and an almost negligible high range. XUV 1st & 2nd gen also has a weaker high range but it's very acceptable like the Endy 2.2. But 120hp on a 7 seater? I mean I can't help if Honda India is on a suicide mission. They have managed to literally kill the brand Honda stood for in India, all alone without needing any competition help.
Old 19th April 2018, 10:40   #7791
BHPian

Quote:
Understood. However reliability and resale are the two factors which makes it hard not to consider Crysta in this price range (20 L to 30 L).

Quote:
Yes. And it is going to stay that way for sometime. There is no news about an AT + AWD in near future.

Quote:
Yes. This is a serious miss. But the choice is between AT with LSD v/s Manual with ESP and Rollover Mitigation. (To give another example - New XUV W9 comes with Sunroof, but only two airbags !)

Quote:
Stock audio setup of Hexa is better than most of the OEM, only if you consider audio quality. But it lacks smartness. There is no Android Auto / CarPlay. And I believe there is no way to upgrade the current system to AA / CarPlay.
For navigation, I use my phone with a decent windshield mounted holder.

Quote:
After few rounds of adjustment, I am able to use the arm rest comfortably. But, it takes time to find the sweet-spot.

Last edited by prasanna_indaje : 19th April 2018 at 10:42.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 13:09   #7792
BHPian

Quote:
I have the older gen silver XUV500 W6 (2014 model) purchased in Apr 2014. I somehow always end up getting the 4 year itch with my vehicles. My last car a Hyundai i10 was also sold off between it's 4th and 5th year life with about 44k kms on the ODO. My XUV has been driven even lesser (35k on teh ODO currently) because my i10 for 2-3 years was driven in Delhi where average distance between places is higher vs Bangalore where the XUV has been driven apart from highway trips to Goa, Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Mumbai.
You may check out my post here and another subsequent post on the same thread regarding Ford Endeavour 2.2L Titanium which I bought recently after a lot of homework.
debuda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 14:11   #7793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadknight5 View Post
Engine Coating and Ac cleaning along with Brake pad cleaning seem to be the favorite at Sireesh Auto Bangalore.

They charged be to change brake pads 2 services ago and last service again he mentioned about brake pads. I told them not to change , but they added in brake pad cleaning for 4k .

I didn't have time to go through the bill in detail until I got home. I was shocked to see 4k for brake pad cleaning.

I usually get it serviced every 10k KMS. The service bill was 15 k with 8k comming for labor alone.

Any other servicing scams service center's indulge in ?
These are the usual ones. Other thing that i can think of is engine decarbonization.
Old 26th April 2018, 14:40   #7794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
You may check out my post here and another subsequent post on the same thread regarding Ford Endeavour 2.2L Titanium which I bought recently after a lot of homework.
Thank you so much for offering to share your buying experience. I will have to look at vehicles within 20-30L (32 can be stretched) OTR pricing tag right now and unfortunately the Endy 2.2 Titanium breaches that. I have a kid ready to get into school later this year and we all know the exorbitant charges from them. I will be pushing my finances too hard if I try going close to 35-37L OTR. I wish my kid was much smaller or much older by now.

While my current XUV (Apr 2014 W6) has been without issues, it will need expenses like tyre replacement after another 10k kms, brake pads along with disc plates (at least for front wheels), clutch wear is already there and MASS says it will last another 10-20k kms depending on use. Plus as I have test driven vehicles with AT, the manual gearbox on the XUV seems more and more of a chore driving in tight Bangalore traffic. Heck, I have now been working 80% from home, simply due to the same reason.

All these expenses on a dated 4 year car will mean I will loose a lot if I do end up selling it in the next 1-2 years. However, if I retain it for another 4 years at least I can make a lot of that investment good.

My confusion now is choosing a replacement vehicle within my budget and also looking at a potential resale of it in another 2 years if my love for Endy doesn't go away and I eventually upgrade to it.

Should it be the cheaper Hexa XTA (big agony is not having ESP, Traction Control and Roll over mitigation for AT version) so that the upgrade from XUV doesn't cut deep in my pocket for another 2-3 years ?

Or wait for the XUV700 (Mahindra Rexton) that could possible be in my budget if it cuts Endy 2.2 by 4-5L ?

Or wait for a couple of years till Tata's new H7X which will be more premium than Hexa hits the market ?

I'm discounting CRV with the puny 120hp diesel motor costing 30L or more OTR pricing. It's not worth whatever else it offers via interiors.
TORQUE_AANJANEY is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2018, 08:32   #7795
BHPian

Quote:
My confusion now is choosing a replacement vehicle within my budget and also looking at a potential resale of it in another 2 years if my love for Endy doesn't go away and I eventually upgrade to it.
Taking into account your present situation, I would advise you to hold on to your XUV which is still under extended warranty. Your tyres, brake pads / discs, clutch, etc, may actually last longer than you anticipate. After your child's school admission you will have a better picture about your financial situation.

If you decide to wait it out for a year or two, you are sure to derive the following benefits :
  1. Get more value out of your XUV.
  2. With more new models and upgraded versions of existing models coming out every year, you will have a wider choice.

Last edited by SDP : 29th April 2018 at 09:55. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
Old 29th April 2018, 13:21   #7796
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
Taking into account your present situation, I would advise you to hold on to your XUV which is still under extended warranty. Your tyres, brake pads / discs, clutch, etc, may actually last longer than you anticipate. After your child's school admission you will have a better picture about your financial situation.

If you decide to wait it out for a year or two, you are sure to derive the following benefits :
  1. Get more value out of your XUV.
  2. With more new models and upgraded versions of existing models coming out every year, you will have a wider choice.
I'm starting to concur with your suggestion. I saw the Hexa yesterday. It lost more points vs my XUV or the 2018 XUV than it won.

I also think my car parts may actually last longer. They are still in prestine condition and if not for the MASS telling me my clutch is wearing out, it's impossible to make it out while actually driving the car.

I think the new EcoBlue 2.0 180PS engine for the Endeavor will be my new target. Hopefully I will find resources to get it sooner than later.
TORQUE_AANJANEY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2018, 22:20   #7797
BHPian

Quote:

I think the new EcoBlue 2.0 180PS engine for the Endeavor will be my new target. Hopefully I will find resources to get it sooner than later.
I have been reading about the EcoBlue engine and Ford claims it would be a game changer. You can check out

Nobody knows for sure when this engine would be installed in the Endeavour in India. But it should not take more than 2 years. May be you would be one of the first in India to buy Ford Endeavour with EcoBlue engine!
Old 1st May 2018, 13:00   #7798
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV5OO : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Last row folded away:
How many litres of boot space get released after the last row of seat is folded away? I want to carry four 32 litres trolly bags along with two cans of 20lts fuel or one can of 40ltr fuel. Is it possible?
Old 1st May 2018, 14:00   #7799
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra XUV5OO : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
How many litres of boot space get released after the last row of seat is folded away? I want to carry four 32 litres trolly bags along with two cans of 20lts fuel or one can of 40ltr fuel. Is it possible?
That should be manageable with the last row folded away. As a basic storage thumb rule I'd recommend you stick to 2 x 20 liter cans over 1 x 40 liter though.

Last edited by manson : 1st May 2018 at 14:47.
manson is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 11:58   #7800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
That should be manageable with the last row folded away.
Yesterday, I visited Mahindra showroom to get the exact idea. There were some 2015 XUVs in their workshop. After folding the last row seat, 700ltr of boot space gets released. That is more than enough for us. By the way, I also took a TD of the new XUV, that was fun.

Quote:
As a basic storage thumb rule I'd recommend you stick to 2 x 20 liter cans over 1 x 40 liter though.
Thanks for your Input, I bought two 20Ltr cans.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd May 2018 at 15:00. Reason: typos
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks