Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2022, 09:30   #7936
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

I have been noticing a weird problem for the past few days in my 2018 XUV5OO W7 AT. I was driving in manual mode, and decided to get some engine braking before approaching a curve ahead on the road by shifting from 3rd to 2nd. When the engine rpm rose above 2.5k to 3k rpm, there was this trembling noise, like some plastic part is touching against another, coming from the driver side area. I'm unable to pinpoint whether this is from the dashboard or the driver side door. Later I noticed that the sound is reproducible even while accelerating when the rpm crosses 2.5k to 3k. Along with this, I noticed another sound in 2 instances (when the revs climbed) that sounded like how the old-school audio cassettes got their tapes entangled. This sound couldn't be reproduced like the initial sound. This seems to be coming from the instrument cluster. What the hell is going on?

Last edited by GKR9900 : 3rd February 2022 at 09:31.
Old 7th March 2022, 23:16   #7937
Senior - BHPian

Folks, anyone ever update the maps on the 1st gen XUV500 recently? Just wondering if I should do it incase gmaps gives up in some non network location.
Old 12th March 2022, 22:49   #7938
BHPian

I have been looking to buy an above 4 meter SUV. Budget: 10 lakh-12 lakh, but may stretch it a bit more. I want to use it for daily driving and longish trips once in a while through not-so-good roads. Current ride: Tata zest XT diesel, with which I am largely satisfied. My need is manual or auto. Mainly looking for a used SUV. I need a wider second row seat, where my ~ 3 year old son can play and sleep with his mother during trips. Also, his head should not hit the roof / windshield when standing on the seat / near dashboard looking forward.

Want a diesel, adequately powered SUV but also looking to avoid BS6 models due to DPF horror stories.

Innova: Wife doesn't shot it down
Fortuner: Only above 10-12 year old cars fit in my budget; plus horrible FE.
All Cretas are horribly overpriced, plus more I read on platform, it's becoming a turn off
Kia Seltos: Similar issues plus dismal 3-star GNCAP rating, but I liked the refinement.
Harrier: Stories of rattles and noisy engine that lacks refinement.
Duster: Shot down by wife
Drove a Kicks diesel XV Premium, but it was hesitant to drive up a slope from a standstill, and the dark feel of the interior was a turn-off.
Safari: BS6, and pricey.

I recently drove a used XUV 500 W7 manual with only 20K km on the odo, and was okay. But, it seemed a little too jumpy and had a not-so-well-damped suspension which oscillated 2-3 times on stopping. This particular XUV didn't have rattles, but all the others I drove had approx 50k and above on the odo and had rattles. So I thumped the door plastic, and lo! I could feel springy, leafy stuff ready to vibrate and rattle in a few thousand km / 1-2 years. Spoke to a few owners, and it seems that rattle is a constant companion when your XUV500 is a few years old.

My always sunbaked Zest 92K km, 6+ year-old Zest has 90% less rattles compared to a 50k Km 3 year old XUV 500, and this is turning me away from the XUV 500.
Incidentally, no car has even 6 inch wider rear seats compared to Zest. Why? I don't understand.

So, here I come seeking help oh wise ones. What options can you suggest?

Last edited by vb-saan : 8th February 2023 at 06:57. Reason: Further edited for better readability
ASHUJNMC is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 12th March 2022, 23:08   #7939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHUJNMC View Post
I have been looking to buy a Above 4 meter SUV.
Why not get XUV 700 MX variant. Mechanically it has everything that higher variants have and waiting is also less. See no point in getting 500 used.

Last edited by vb-saan : 8th February 2023 at 07:00. Reason: Quoted post edited. And please avoid quoting a full long post. Thank you!
heydj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 22:01   #7940
BHPian

Hi guys,
I'm looking at purchasing a grill chrome strip piece for my 2013 XUV, which used to be a genuine accessory. But I can't find it anywhere online and offline now as it was discontinued long back. If anyone have a extra piece or is willing to give up their own, please DM me.
Below is the picture of the chrome piece.
Attached Images

Old 8th June 2022, 14:43   #7941
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun.kulkarni View Post
i finalized on Arc suspension for my car. I got it installed yesterday and posting a few pictures here for enthusiasts who might be considering a suspension upgrade.
Hi arun.kulkarni, Hope you would have done lot of rides with ARC suspension by now. Could you share your experience with Arc suspension ?
Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 17:59   #7942
BHPian

There is one XUV500 W7 AT for sale in Spinny in Hyderabad. An Apr 21 model it has run around 11k kms and is quoted at ₹16.8 lakhs.

Can someone please suggest if it is a good buy??
Old 11th June 2022, 21:53   #7943
BHPian

Changing my original set of tires (Bridgestone duellers in the front) after 6 years and 1,36,000 kms. Impressed by the mileage, however, the same tires are not readily available in Bangalore. I had changed the rear tires to Yokohama.

6 years and 1,36,000 kms have been a really good experience with the XUV. I have a W6 AT. I wanted to buy a AT 4wd, but somehow in India companies think I need to pay for sunroof if I want a 4wd AT. It was available only in the top variant, so decided against it.

Otherwise the car has been fairly reliable. I have taken the car everywhere, all over India, including high altitudes in Sikkim. Only once it had issue with transmission overheating while climbing up Rohini road in darjeeling, rest all good. The service center tried to top up AT oil, but couldn't find any issues as such.

The following were changed.
1. Vacuum modulator twice
2. Front shock absorbers
3. Front and rear brake pads
4. AC fan

I did not change any audio, the stock audio is good enough for me.

Mileage is 9.3ish in Bangalore B2B traffic. Highway mileage around 12, but I drive Bangalore to Hyderabad Ring Road in 5.5 hours. In Kolkata surprisingly I got highest city mileage of around 11.

Currently there is an occasional noise on turning the steering in slow speed but no issues otherwise. Service centre could not diagnose any issue. Any pointer would be helpful.

Last edited by sumannandy : 11th June 2022 at 21:58.
sumannandy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 14:48   #7944
BHPian

I changed my XUV 500 W11(O) AT tyres after 4 years and 96500 km. Although the stock Bridgestone Ecopia were good but too much tyre noise was there and options were limited too in size 235/60/R18. I decided to upsize 255/55ZR18 as the difference in diameter does not exceed the 3% plus 255 size fills the wheel arch beautifully. Made the switch to the Vrdestein Ultrac Vorti and was in pleasant surprise.
Currently odometer stands at 1,03,000 km and here are my first impressions of Vrdestein’s. Supremely comfortable and a lot better than stock Bridgestones. Road noise is reduced a lot, wet grip is a lot better too and car feels planted on road now. I paid 16,400₹ per tyre which equals to 65,600₹ for a set of 4. Michelins were in the range of 20-22k per tyre while Continentals in 18-21k range.
Thank you.
MayurS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 15:25   #7945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayurS View Post
I changed my XUV 500 W11(O) AT tyres after 4 years and 96500 km. Although the stock Bridgestone Ecopia were good but too much tyre noise was there and options were limited too in size 235/60/R18. I decided to upsize 255/55ZR18 as the difference in diameter does not exceed the 3% plus 255 size fills the wheel arch beautifully. Made the switch to the Vrdestein Ultrac Vorti and was in pleasant surprise.
Currently odometer stands at 1,03,000 km and here are my first impressions of Vrdestein’s. Supremely comfortable and a lot better than stock Bridgestones. Road noise is reduced a lot, wet grip is a lot better too and car feels planted on road now. I paid 16,400₹ per tyre which equals to 65,600₹ for a set of 4. Michelins were in the range of 20-22k per tyre while Continentals in 18-21k range.
Thank you.
Never heard of Vrdestein, sounds like a german manf? I recently switched to Continentals and they were about 12.5K per tire.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 16:08   #7946
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Never heard of Vrdestein, sounds like a german manf? I recently switched to Continentals and they were about 12.5K per tire.
It’s Netherlands based tyre company which was bought by Apollo Tyres India. 12.5-13k is a very good price for Continentals for 17’ inch tyres. Mine had 18 inches from factory as it’s a W11(O) model.
MayurS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 00:55   #7947

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayurS View Post
Thank you.
I own a W11(O) AT as well still on stock Apollo Aptera tyres at 46k kilometers, Service center guys said its good for another 30-40k. Can you share some pics of your XUV with the new shoes, would love to see how the new tyre profile looks in thr XUV.
Old 19th June 2022, 13:14   #7948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
Why not get xuv 700 MX variant. Mechanically it has everything that higher variants have and waiting is also less. See no point in getting 500 used.
Thanks for the suggestion. Just an update: long story short, my wife finalised to get only and only Innova Crysta so got a pre-owned 2.8 ZX Auto 2016 with 63k Km on odo for approx 18.3 lakh.
ASHUJNMC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 18:27   #7949
BHPian

Posting in this forum along with the extended warranty forum:

Had bought a Mahindra XUV 5OO last year. Since the 1 year service was coming up, thought of buying the extended warranty for 4th and 5th year. It was INR 26K. However, last night the servers were down and today morning when I checked, it said it is INR 40K now. Increased by 50%.

When I checked with service center, they confirmed that the server was down since they were changing the price.

Can any esteemed member suggest if the XUV warrants an extended warranty or will insurance along with add-ons such as engine secure suffice? Thanks.

Also, mine is a W11 (O) AT model.
Old 30th July 2022, 12:56   #7950
BHPian

How much should be resting voltage in battery for xuv 5OO. It is showing 12.37v which looks lesser.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks