Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2011, 17:44   #811
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells View Post
W8 owners, I've a question.
How long does it take to get GPS signal on an average? (Using a cold start as reference)

I'm wondering because on smartphones, you've AGPS and the signal is received pretty quickly. Since you don't have AGPS here, will it take around 5-10 minutes after starting the car?
tachobells,

Not having a AGPS wont be a problem. GPS units in cars have better chips and higher fidelity antennas as compared to a mobile. This enables them to receive and process data from GPS satellites in a faster way.

Although this reduces the time to first fix, its still a problem as the time taken is around 1-2 minutes. This problem is further reduced by caching the last known location, which is used to provide a approximate fix as soon as the car is restarted and then update the accurate info once GPS data is processed for arriving at a proper fix.

A mobile is physically portable so this complicates the situation when it is turned off and moved and that's where AGPS is required.This problem is not not present in cars (almost) unless its being towed to some other location and then restarted.

Also remember that in normal usecase scenario, the default screen would come up and the driver would take some time to go to the navigation page. During this time the GPS unit would have worked in background to process the data.
deepaktpatil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2011, 18:24   #812
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
I would slightly disagree with you here. i doubt that anything costing close to 15 lacs can be ever termed down market in india. people having mercs and beemers also use corollas/civics/lauras. and actually XUV has almost no competition below 20 lacs! and the ones in 20-30 lacs dont offer much of anything over XUV for the hefty premium.. be it outlander, captiva, endy, Xtrail, santa fe, CRV or for that matter the mighty Fortuner! ofcourse if your requirement is hard core offroading in comfort than you have the Fortuner and Endy for you but usually they are hardly used for that purpose and hence the comparison with them.

the rest are usually softroaders which can do some offroading if need be. and XUV falls in that category. and when compared to them it has equally good looks (personal opinion) and more features at almost 60% price!

so I guess it will attract customers from 20 lac category as well.
I believe, my choice of words ("downmarket") has caused some confusion. What I meant was, there would be people who buy cars as status-symbols and not because they offer tremendous value. In the customer segment with 20+ lac budget, my guess is, there would be quite a few.

A case in point (albait from a different category) is ANHC and Civic. GTO's famous quote - ANHC is 90% Civic at 75% price. So ANHC is definitely VFM as compared to Civic. Does that mean that ALL potential Civic customers would go for ANHC? There would definitely be few who either value that 10% additional that Civic offers OR they would prefer to be seen in a Civic rather than an ANHC. Hope that clarifies.
Old 8th November 2011, 18:45   #813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti.Rahul View Post
Dear Falcon,

There seems to be some problem with the link- its throwing a weird message that ' you do not have permission to access this page'. Can someone else comment on this? What could be the problem?
It was online for a while after he posted it online. Guess the mods moved it to assembly line, since he hadn't written the ownership reviews.
Old 8th November 2011, 19:20   #814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
I believe, my choice of words ("downmarket") has caused some confusion. What I meant was, there would be people who buy cars as status-symbols and not because they offer tremendous value. In the customer segment with 20+ lac budget, my guess is, there would be quite a few.

A case in point (albait from a different category) is ANHC and Civic. GTO's famous quote - ANHC is 90% Civic at 75% price. So ANHC is definitely VFM as compared to Civic. Does that mean that ALL potential Civic customers would go for ANHC? There would definitely be few who either value that 10% additional that Civic offers OR they would prefer to be seen in a Civic rather than an ANHC. Hope that clarifies.
I understand what you are trying to say and the example you have given are of two cars of the same company so definitely the status and prestige issue will play a point here. like E class is definitely more prestigious than the C class. as its comparing apple with a smaller fruit like a chickoo. but its not much the case when you see two cars which are both looking equally good and also equal in size and features. for example the captiva or outlander and XUV. looks wise they all look similarly upmarket and in the same category. not going into details like quality of plastics here but looks, features and performance in general.

what you said can be true if you compare say Force one or maybe even Tata Aria with endy/fortuner/captiva etc. as no one thinking of buying a Endy/Fortuner/Captiva/Outlander will even remotely consider the Force one or for that matter even Tata Aria. BUT XUV is almost a special case here! since it looks like a much more expensive car in person and attracts much more attention. looks play a major role.

and when I went to take a test drive at the NBS chowpatty showroom, I saw many people waiting for booking and some even trying to get their way through influence as the bookings had already stopped. the SE told me that it doesn't matter what influence they use but they won't get the booking now since its closed. he also told many politicians and builders are also waiting. and it all seemed true as he also showed me few visiting cards left by people came for inquiry and test drives. some were of prominent builders and so on. he also told me some people having BMW's are also booking and inquiring about it.

man... mahindra guys should probably give me one free or atleast half the cost as I have done a lot of free Advt. and marketing for them!

Last edited by magikrider : 8th November 2011 at 19:25.
Old 8th November 2011, 20:45   #815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells View Post
Since you don't have AGPS here, will it take around 5-10 minutes after starting the car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
In my Garmin which doesn't have AGPS, it takes around a minute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepaktpatil View Post
This problem is further reduced by caching the last known location, which is used to provide a approximate fix as soon as the car is restarted and then update the accurate info once GPS data is processed for arriving at a proper fix.
I just timed from cold start - the Garmin unit was ready to go in 24 seconds.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2011, 22:46   #816
BHPian

Quote:
Getting back to an old leftover topic, whats the least amount anyone has paid for XUV W8 FWD insurance with zero depreciation and from which company did one take this insurance? This data will help many of us negotiate better with the dealer.
Yes I too would like to know?
Went to the dealer today- He is quite adamant that the insurance must be taken from them? I pointed it out that the diff is about 20k and he also checked the ICICI site! But kept mumbling that the Insured value was not the same?
?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero View Post
Just saw Anand Mahindra respond to the tweet about insurance and he asked someone called Arun to look into it. This means the dealer is not right.
Where can I find the above/ ltr from the Mahindra offical regarding the insurance issue. Im a real novice at all things Twitter & facebook"

Rgds

Last edited by Gerardfdz : 8th November 2011 at 23:02.
Old 8th November 2011, 23:07   #817
BHPian

Quote:
Getting back to an old leftover topic, whats the least amount anyone has paid for XUV W8 FWD insurance with zero depreciation and from which company did one take this insurance? This data will help many of us negotiate better with the dealer.
Rahul,
The best quote I got from the dealer was 37.8k for the corporate Zero dep thru ICICI Lombard.
Finally took the same corporate ICICI lombard insurance for 31.9k from my insurance agent.
Regards
Sid
sidwadia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2011, 23:30   #818
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardfdz View Post
Went to the dealer today- He is quite adamant that the insurance must be taken from them?
Please read from the below post onwards. I have attached a screen-shot from XUV 500 Facebook page which states insurance is NOT mandate ti be bought from the dealer. One of the posts after this also states that the company has already informed the dealers about this.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2566193
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2011, 09:33   #819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidwadia View Post
Rahul,
The best quote I got from the dealer was 37.8k for the corporate Zero dep thru ICICI Lombard.
Finally took the same corporate ICICI lombard insurance for 31.9k from my insurance agent.
Regards
Sid
Sid- what's zero depreciation? Further, what's the IDV of insured car for you? Was it w8?
Old 9th November 2011, 10:43   #820
BHPian

Yesterday I received a call from Mahindra customer care. Confirmed about my booking and delivery date. She also informed me that earlier the vehicle comes with 2 years 65K warranty and now it has been upgraded to 3 years unlimited mileage warranty.

That enhances the confidence in the users as well as shows how confident Mahindra is on XUV.
Joy73US is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2011, 11:05   #821
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sid- what's zero depreciation? Further, what's the IDV of insured car for you? Was it w8?
Zero depreciation means that you will get 100% coverage for even plastics etc in the car. Under normal insurance you have to bear around 40-50% of the costs of plastics, rubbers etc in the car. 0% depreciation enables you to claim 100% on these parts too. Its valid only for 1st three years of your new car and the premium is around 3-5k above the normal insurance premium.
Old 9th November 2011, 11:06   #822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy73US
Yesterday I received a call from Mahindra customer care. Confirmed about my booking and delivery date. She also informed me that earlier the vehicle comes with 2 years 65K warranty and now it has been upgraded to 3 years unlimited mileage warranty.
That's an amazing gesture on Mahindra's part. All the people booking and showing confidence in a new M&M vehicle getting rewarded.
Old 9th November 2011, 11:06   #823
Senior - BHPian

I dont know whether this has been mentioned here before, but the XUV also comes with a remote for the ICE, apart from touchscreen!

Good thing for rear passengers who want to skip the boring action sequence in the movie, while watching DVDs!
Old 9th November 2011, 11:37   #824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I dont know whether this has been mentioned here before, but the XUV also comes with a remote for the ICE, apart from touchscreen!

Good thing for rear passengers who want to skip the boring action sequence in the movie, while watching DVDs!

I have heard that the DVD player does not work while the vehicle is in motion because it only works when the Handbrake is ON I guess this is a safety feature so the driver does not get distracted.
Old 9th November 2011, 12:03   #825
BHPian

Another review of this amazing car by "Gul Panag"

Now, imagine the scene of person who is wathing this - whether to see Gul or XUV !

naveenchhillar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks