Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2011, 21:15   #931
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti.Rahul View Post
I checked @ Kocept Automobiles NOIDA and both their Sales Guy and the people at the accessories desk were willing to give in writing that Tyretronics wouldnt work if the stock alloys of W8 are changed.

Plus, there is no adjustment or money back against trading in your stock alloys so that money goes waste in a blink.
Even if you change the alloys given by mahindra?
Old 19th November 2011, 01:22   #932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive
I was told by the slaes perosn that it does not work if the alloys are swapped.
I hope these are the same components that made it's debut in Scorpio VLX - except the new display and s/w adaptation for it.

This was the same crap that was told by the sales reps when I got my VLX in '08. Surprisingly even the M.A.S.S guys were singing the same tune while the manual clearly showed how to remove and fit the tyretronics components should you change the alloys. I was frustrated to the core as the stock alloys weren't looking great and I wanted the 'bulge' effect of aftermarket alloys.

Finally gathered my guts and took the plunge outside of M.A.S.S! A very helpful friend from a reputed accessories showroom in Chennai and his trusted 'tyre-shop' guy were at work.

It was a nail-biting 45 minutes (or may be 1 full hour, seemingly eternal at that time) of deflating, removing tyre from wheel - "guys, careful with that valve cum sensor, eh?"; strap the tyre on to the new alloys (same OE Bridgestone's retained), bolt on the valve - again me going "guys, careful..."; inflate, balance, fit, align, etc. The usual boring wheel change stuff.

Did I say nail-biting? Well, that's because all this time I was also perching on the driver seat and watching what the tyretronics display says (remember the car is dangling on a hydraulic lift). To my horror, it went blood red for all tyres (of course, "0 PSI"), and stayed there for life time (i.e., next one hour). Not a nice scene to keep watching (on hindsight, it's a waste of time - should have watched TV instead, sitting in a customer lounge and sipping a cola or something)!

After those tense moments, the display bounced back to normal after the tyres were inflated and there I was grinning ear to ear!! Boy, don't they look great or what (please say yes)!!!

Name:  image2424137892.png
Views: 9006
Size:  849.2 KB

The alloys are on for almost three years now (picture taken six months ago) and my tyretronics works gingerly as ever.

Sorry about the slightly lengthy OT, but dear XUV guys, here's one to boost your faith. Go ahead and swap the wheels if you want. Cheers!

Just keep in mind the below points:

1. Handle the valve cum sensor carefully - especially during tyre removal and refitting onto the wheel.
2. Try not to rotate the wheel position during alloys swap - i.e., the sensors fitted to the new alloys should return to the same original position; front left wheel sensor should return to front left after fitted on new alloys, and so on.
3. The tyretronics receiver and hence the display are not real-time, resulting in a slight delay in status update. Switch off ignition and wait for 10 mins before checking again if display doesn't read correctly after swap.
4. Familiarize yourself with the tyretronics reset and "learning" sequence should #2 and #3 above doesn't help.

Good luck!
GunMo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2011, 17:12   #933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidaboy View Post
Even if you change the alloys given by mahindra?
Yes Noidaboy, even if you trade in stock alloys of Mahindra as in W8. I checked and rechecked but that's how it is!
Old 20th November 2011, 20:21   #934
BHPian

I got the software update done yesterday for my XUV5OO,along with it they changed the gearbox oil,and did alignment and balancing as i had complained some vibrations at speeds above 120kmph.

After the software update my HU does not play videos while car is moving .It has been disabled during software update.
Old 20th November 2011, 20:57   #935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f@lcon View Post
I got the software update done yesterday for my XUV5OO,along with it they changed the gearbox oil,and did alignment and balancing as i had complained some vibrations at speeds above 120kmph.
Falcon, have you noticed any changes in gear shift after changing transmission oil?
Old 20th November 2011, 21:39   #936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f@lcon View Post

After the software update my HU does not play videos while car is moving .It has been disabled during software update.
Even earlier you could not play videos without the handbrake on, Its a safety feature
Old 20th November 2011, 21:56   #937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells View Post
Falcon, have you noticed any changes in gear shift after changing transmission oil?
I feel slotting of gears is much smoother than earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidaboy View Post
Even earlier you could not play videos without the handbrake on, Its a safety feature
I could play videos earlier while driving.we even watched a complete movie on a short trip on Thursday.
Software update has solved problems with USB port (earlier it used to take long time to recognize the pen drive and some times it would not recognize at all)
f@lcon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2011, 23:19   #938
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Went to a Mahindra showroom again today and took another TD.

The SA mentioned Feb for bookings to reopen. That's the 3rd person who has mentioned Feb. He also mentioned that the production capacity has already been ramped up.

I asked him whether the no. of inquiries and TDs have reduced and he confirmed: lots of people already know that the bookings are not opening any time soon. So the no. of footfalls have decreased.

Last edited by SDP : 20th November 2011 at 23:25.
Old 21st November 2011, 02:00   #939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A friend of Rehaan's went to the Mahindra showroom on Marine drive for a XUV test-drive. They told him the wait-list for the test-drive was 3,000 people
its funny coz I took two test drives at the same place and both were decided suddenly as I was passing by the showroom and I got to test drive both the time in just 5 minutes! I just asked for a test drive and the sales person arranged for one immediately. only thing is to get hold of a SA as they all are usually very busy and attending multiple customers. so once you find a SA to attend you it shouldn't be difficult.
Old 21st November 2011, 02:49   #940
BHPian

I had almost made up my mind to go for the XUV and was waiting for the bookings to re-open eagerly. but all that changed after I took the second test drive, which was a little longer one and I could see how it behaves in the city properly this time. I stalled the car twice with jerk! the clutch was acting weird! its not that easy to live with in the city and bumper to bumper traffic which is usually the case almost anytime of the day in mumbai. and also I drove a friends new current honda city the next day and in comparison it felt way better to live with in city conditions. I know its not the right comparison but still my point is its still not that easy and smooth to drive in city traffic.
Old 21st November 2011, 07:36   #941
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
I had almost made up my mind to go for the XUV and was waiting for the bookings to re-open eagerly. but all that changed after I took the second test drive, which was a little longer one and I could see how it behaves in the city properly this time. I stalled the car twice with jerk! the clutch was acting weird! its not that easy to live with in the city and bumper to bumper traffic which is usually the case almost anytime of the day in mumbai. and also I drove a friends new current honda city the next day and in comparison it felt way better to live with in city conditions. I know its not the right comparison but still my point is its still not that easy and smooth to drive in city traffic.
magikrider, even I took the 2nd TD yesterday and interestingly couple of problems I had faced during the first TD were NOT there yesterday. The SA said, they have received a new TD vehicle. If that is true, may be its from a newer batch. Unlike last TD, did not face issues with slotting 1st and 2nd gears. Neither did the arm-rest bother me this time.

I believe, the TD experience would change slightly from one time to another. So what do you say for one more TD? May be the third time's the charm!
Old 21st November 2011, 13:14   #942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
magikrider, even I took the 2nd TD yesterday and interestingly couple of problems I had faced during the first TD were NOT there yesterday. The SA said, they have received a new TD vehicle. If that is true, may be its from a newer batch. Unlike last TD, did not face issues with slotting 1st and 2nd gears. Neither did the arm-rest bother me this time.

I believe, the TD experience would change slightly from one time to another. So what do you say for one more TD? May be the third time's the charm!
Its possible that they might have improved the gears a bit but its still no CR-V or outlander! City/bumper to bumper traffic conditions are still not mahindra's cup of tea! They still have a long way to go. A sedan will be much easier to live with in urban conditions, which is where we mumbaikars still drive mainly. Its for people who has more highway trips and who has a second car for the city. But if its your only car then its better to stick with a sedan.
Old 21st November 2011, 14:02   #943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
Its possible that they might have improved the gears a bit but its still no CR-V or outlander! City/bumper to bumper traffic conditions are still not mahindra's cup of tea! They still have a long way to go. A sedan will be much easier to live with in urban conditions, which is where we mumbaikars still drive mainly. Its for people who has more highway trips and who has a second car for the city. But if its your only car then its better to stick with a sedan.
I would disagree here. Infact the good low end torque, excellent visibility, peppy performance & good suspension makes the XUV a good city car. Infact, I dint feel any abnormality in the clutch either.
Old 21st November 2011, 16:36   #944
BHPian

Saw these two guys standing side by side to each other in our company parking lot. Apologies for the picture quality as they are taken from my mobile, also the background light doesn't help much.

Width wise both see to be of same size. Fortuner has a higher ground clearance and I felt that it was more imposing as compared to XUV. Also the height at which driver seats is higher in Fortuner.

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-20111121033.jpg
deepaktpatil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2011, 17:10   #945
BHPian

A nice article on the development of the XUV. The X factor

Note that the author has mentioned that 40% of the cost of the vehicle is in the electronics systems.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks