Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2011, 15:18   #1201
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Attachment 852720

That's pretty odd! Just rechecked ours and it does have plastic glass on both speedo and tacho (reflection is also visible in the pic attached, near 200 km mark and also near 0 mark on Tacho. You can also see dust collected at the edge of the glass)
Seems like Mahindra have not done QC of the incoming materials well enough and pods with missing glass got through (maybe entire batch).

(The Odo and the Temp gauge are LCD displays and they are with built in glass)

Regards,
Behemoth
Are you sure the Temp gauge is LCD, I too tried touching it in the morning and it felt like paper only. Also, the area where all the warning lights are present (ABS, indicator & etc) feels like the same paper-material.
Old 8th December 2011, 18:05   #1202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
Are you sure the Temp gauge is LCD, I too tried touching it in the morning and it felt like paper only. Also, the area where all the warning lights are present (ABS, indicator & etc) feels like the same paper-material.
It could be a plastic with rough (matt) finish to make it 'anti-glare'. It also could be thin/flimsy, so must be deforming a bit on pressing it (and giving a feel of a paper)
Old 8th December 2011, 20:01   #1203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by da MotorHead View Post
Hi guys,

I went to Sterling Mahindra today to check out the scuff plates for the XUV. There are 2 options i.e. lit and non lit. The lit ones are with blue lighting and for INR 3500 where as the non lit ones are for INR 1000 for 4. Otherwise they are the same. What do you suggest is the better option?

Thanks.

If you want to see PIC let me know i have neon one in my XUV(i)... i paid around 2.8k
Old 8th December 2011, 20:43   #1204
Distinguished - BHPian

Just in: XUV 500 awarded "SUV of the year" & "Viewers Choice Award" by OverDrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushargohil View Post
If you want to see PIC let me know i have neon one in my XUV(i)... i paid around 2.8k
Is that a question to be asked? Please share the pics in day light and night!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 8th December 2011 at 20:46.
Old 8th December 2011, 21:06   #1205
BHPian

Hi All XUV500 Owners!
Just had my system upgraded! apparently the third revision is just out!
Old 8th December 2011, 21:54   #1206
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardfdz View Post
Hi All XUV500 Owners!
Just had my system upgraded! apparently the third revision is just out!
Just the infotainment system or the entire firmware?
Old 8th December 2011, 22:36   #1207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Just the infotainment system or the entire firmware?
This is the version.
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-update-ver-3.jpg
Feel it is only the software for the infotainment as it was done by the Nippon Guys!
The maps are as:
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-map1.jpg
Gerardfdz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 23:19   #1208
BHPian

Today, I got my W6 silver XUV5OO deliverd. I am graduating from Santro to XUV hence a bit nervous but it drives very smooth. Need couple of days to read the manual and understand/learn the features.

In the owner's manual it is recommended to use High Speed Diesel confirming to IS 1460;2010 specification or equivalent while the SA suggested to use the normal diesel. Which one to believe. Experts please suggest.
Joy73US is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 23:24   #1209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy73US View Post
Today, I got my W6 silver XUV5OO deliverd. I am graduating from Santro to XUV hence a bit nervous but it drives very smooth. Need couple of days to read the manual and understand/learn the features.

In the owner's manual it is recommended to use High Speed Diesel confirming to IS 1460;2010 specification or equivalent while the SA suggested to use the normal diesel. Which one to believe. Experts please suggest.
Congrats. Even i own W6 Silver.

As for the diesel, go ahead and use normal diesel, it wont harm your car. I too use normal and face no issues.
nitinralli is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 23:25   #1210
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

That's quite an upgrade! Congratulations!

You will get used to the size in no time. It's a relatively easy car to drive, and doesn't feel too large on the road. Reading the manual and educating oneself is always a good thing!

You could stick to regular diesel, but there is no real issue with premium diesel options. They just have additives. Stick to one trusted bunk. Enjoy your new drive!
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 00:12   #1211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardfdz View Post
This is the version.
Attachment 853900
Feel it is only the software for the infotainment as it was done by the Nippon Guys!
The maps are as:
Attachment 853901
Any improvements on the HU.Mine is the first batch and it sucks,Ipod playlists dont display properly,
Dvd audio cds are read sometime and most of the times it ejects automatically.
Old 9th December 2011, 00:48   #1212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy73US

It's the same proven mHawk 2.2 that does duty in Scorpios - only running in a higher state of tune.

Unlike petrol where you get higher octane as you move premium (well, not always - watch out for correct octane), premium diesel is nothing but a regular one with additives like lubricants, cleaners, etc.

IS1460:2010 spec is required for BS IV emission compliance. So, the manual is right in a way by asking you to stick to the specs. However, premium diesel (read 'High Speed') filled in any bunk is not going to guarantee that. Best practice is to stick to your tried and tested bunk after ensuring they supply BS IV diesel.

If you are living in metros you are gifted (I know, I know, where else do you get XUV5oo now :P - but this is about fuel), as it is relatively easy to find one. Here the regular diesel itself conforms (rather, should conform) to BS IV.

When you are touring outside of metros (+ few other cities where you get BS IV), try and fill up as much as possible in big cities / popular bunks (BS III) and avoid remote / rural bunks (BS III + whatnot / or even BS II)!

These modern engines won't do well on high sulphur and other impurities. However, don't get spooked and carry around extra fuel cans or, worse, stop touring at all (what's the fun)!
Short term usage of bad fuel - far and few in-between - shouldn't cause much of an issue. So, fill if you must - only to the extent of taking you to the next decent bunk - when get caught in one of those ugly situations and continue to enjoy your ride!!

Cheers and have fun!
GunMo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 08:56   #1213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
When your are in doubt albeit even a small one, ask for a new piece. If you opt for this piece and wondering if any niggles come up syndrome psychological effect on you is not worth the risk.

Demand a new piece and be happy. If they themselves are mentioning they have sorted out in the new batches why buy one form the old batch.

Anyways congrats in advance.
thanks for replying, i just wanted to understand the technical implications of this particular niggle. I TD-ed the vehicle alloted to me and spoke to one of the core engine development guys (XUV 500 team) and realized that its good to go! Will post the experience and analysis soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Had replied in Mamba thread. Reposting :

I had issues on gear engaging. The lever would also pop back at times after putting in 1st/2nd/6th . I have changed the gear oil to synthetic and the problem has not appeared since. It looks rectified.

The gear falls in smoothly now and stays put.

114 ODO should not worry you IMHO. Most cars are delivered at +100 in ODO.
Mannubhai thanks again. Hearing this from an owner, travelled the last mile in the decision making process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Please check the VIN and check the month of manufacture.It should be at least Nov 2011 assuming a 15 days transit time at the max. Sometimes the stockyards are indeed far from the showroom - try to know where exactly is your dealer's stockyard and calculate the distance too. These should clear your doubts to a good extent.
that was helpful, verified the VIN etc. The PDI checklist was a lot of help. thanksamuch!
Old 9th December 2011, 09:22   #1214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Just in: XUV 500 awarded "SUV of the year" & "Viewers Choice Award" by OverDrive.

Is that a question to be asked? Please share the pics in day light and night!
Good Morning Mate.. i was just helping.. da MotorHead.. i don't know about your question :-)
Old 9th December 2011, 09:56   #1215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Normal diesel is technically called as "High Speed Diesel" or HSD in petrochemical terms. It does not refer to the diesel with additives which various companies market under various names.
Use regular diesel only for your XUV, and ensure that you get it filled from a dependable petrol pump (Company owned preferably)

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed