Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2011, 00:09   #1261
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipun dhingra View Post
My xuv's delivery date is around end of december. But i want to take delivery of 2012 model. Now does the dealer has allow to adjust my booking?
He is threatening to cancel my booking if i dont take the delivery as per schedule.
Speak to Mahindra's customer care and tell them that you want to postpone the booking. I am sure they will agree. Dealer is forcing you because its difficult to sell 2011 stock in 2012.

What happens in a case where i am really not in a position (financially or parking constraint as someone mentioned) to take delivery now ? I am sure they will agree.
Old 14th December 2011, 00:09   #1262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Thanks for sharing the long-drive experience. Can you share a pic of the headlights?
Pic wont be able to present the actual scenario. Rest assured the reflectors are in perfect shape and there is no fog/dust inside the headlamp assembly. Its the quality of bulb that has lost its glorifying wattage.
Old 14th December 2011, 00:12   #1263
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipun dhingra View Post
My xuv's delivery date is around end of december. But i want to take delivery of 2012 model. Now does the dealer has allow to adjust my booking?
He is threatening to cancel my booking if i dont take the delivery as per schedule.
Establishing a good rapport with your dealership's sales-representatives and sales-manager is always a good thing. It will help you get your way, more often than not.

Talking can get you what you want. You just have to be smooth and smart about it.
Old 14th December 2011, 07:23   #1264
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
Pic wont be able to present the actual scenario. Rest assured the reflectors are in perfect shape and there is no fog/dust inside the headlamp assembly. Its the quality of bulb that has lost its glorifying wattage.
Oh, you were talking about the bulbs. I misunderstood it as the outer surface of the headlight assembly itself.

Bulbs losing power, that's strange. My alto in its 8th year is still running on its stock bulbs and there is no noticeable drop in light I have noticed.

Please get it checked ASAP.
Old 14th December 2011, 13:49   #1265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The headlights were good when they were new. Now they seem to have lost all its power and is yellowish.
Loss of power in the headlamps , never actually heard of it, the stock bulbs are good for years to come. Is it the bulbs or the housing which is turning yellow of fogged ?

I upgraded to aftermarket Philips white vision 2 years back in my Scorpio, the light is still cryatal white.
Old 14th December 2011, 15:58   #1266
Senior - BHPian

Dim headlights: Could be battery or transformer issue. Used to happen to my old Indica. The lights would become bright for a while, and then become dim.
Old 14th December 2011, 16:12   #1267
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, I somehow cannot stop laughing on having read that the quality of the bulb is so bad that it has become dim. Not to do with you or anything else, the phenomenon of a car's bulbs becoming dim after 3000 Kms drive itself is making me go insane with laughter.

I repeat, nothing to do with you Rohit- I am just finding this discovery very amusing. Bulbs became tired, hence are'nt able to light up the road as a new one would! whatever! Its a queer observation!
Old 14th December 2011, 16:41   #1268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti.Rahul View Post
Hi, I somehow cannot stop laughing on having read that the quality of the bulb is so bad that it has become dim. Not to do with you or anything else, the phenomenon of a car's bulbs becoming dim after 3000 Kms drive itself is making me go insane with laughter.

I repeat, nothing to do with you Rohit- I am just finding this discovery very amusing. Bulbs became tired, hence are'nt able to light up the road as a new one would! whatever! Its a queer observation!
Rahul its not something new. The Beat that I bought last month has the same issue. The Verna I bought 5 years back and the esteem 6 years back have same issue. Its noticeable if you observe it keenly the first few days and I can assure you it happens in most of the OEMs. If someone says there was no difference it could be they must have not observed it carefully the first 2-3 nights of night driving. I have always changed the OEM bulbs/tubes within first week but was thinking maybe this time it was different. But it was not.
Any suggestions for aftermarket brand and wattage?
EDIT:- Its not that bad but a 10% divergence is for sure.

Last edited by rohitbagai : 14th December 2011 at 16:43.
Old 14th December 2011, 16:44   #1269
BHPian

Saw this AWD in Bangalore today. We drove for a while in tandem , but couldnt talk.

Just taken out from an elaborate pooja it seemed.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img00721201112141231.jpg  

Old 14th December 2011, 16:48   #1270
BHPian

Quote:
Rahul its not something new. The Beat that I bought last month has the same issue. The Verna I bought 5 years back and the esteem 6 years back have same issue. Its noticeable if you observe it keenly the first few days and I can assure you it happens in most of the OEMs. If someone says there was no difference it could be they must have not observed it carefully the first 2-3 nights of night driving. I have always changed the OEM bulbs/tubes within first week but was thinking maybe this time it was different. But it was not.
Any suggestions for aftermarket brand and wattage?
EDIT:- Its not that bad but a 10% divergence is for sure.
Sure Rohit, I may not have focussed too much on the headlamps part on most cars I would have driven till date, I guess. My Ford Ikon's headlamps needed replacement after almost 3 years as they grew quite dim and changing the battery did not salvage the situation. I only thought that its a new benchmark of sorts of headlamps dimming, some 3000 Kms thats it! I would strongly recommend a changeover through some good shop, I would myself do the same once my XUV arrives next February. May not be a bad idea to explore the market for DRLs for XUV as well, I saw a few blokes driving the XUV with the supposed DRLs on, they look like tiny stars and serve little purpose, how good it would be if we could lay our hands on something akin to what Audis and beamers flash at us on Delhi roads! Any suggestions?
Old 14th December 2011, 20:47   #1271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti.Rahul View Post
Sure Rohit, I may not have focussed too much on the headlamps part on most cars I would have driven till date, I guess. My Ford Ikon's headlamps needed replacement after almost 3 years as they grew quite dim and changing the battery did not salvage the situation. I only thought that its a new benchmark of sorts of headlamps dimming, some 3000 Kms thats it! I would strongly recommend a changeover through some good shop, I would myself do the same once my XUV arrives next February. May not be a bad idea to explore the market for DRLs for XUV as well, I saw a few blokes driving the XUV with the supposed DRLs on, they look like tiny stars and serve little purpose, how good it would be if we could lay our hands on something akin to what Audis and beamers flash at us on Delhi roads! Any suggestions?
You can get these DRL's almost everywhere these days. Go to Driven if you want. While getting my XUV ICE'd last week, i saw these DRL's and was tempted to add them, but i guess they might be little too flashy for my taste so will stick to Mahindra's version of DRL's
Off topic: Yesterday at gurgaon toll, the toll guy asked me, "Sir, is this Audi?"
Old 14th December 2011, 21:18   #1272
o.D
BHPian

Took delivery of W8 2 weeks ago and here is a list to track of what works and what does not –
1.Touchscreen infotainment –
a. TPMS- Need to check while refilling it with Nitrogen. Else shows no errors.
b. Hill hold/assist - Yet to try.
c. Radio- Works.
d. Navigation - Works.
e. USB - Works.
f. Video - Yet to try.
g. Bluetooth - Works, but as mentioned in the previous post seems to work in sync with the volume of the player. At times have had to really yell and talk. Will have to get this checked.

2. Sensors
a. Headlight darkness sensors – Works
b. Wiper sensors- Yet to try.
c. Reverse sensors – Works

3. Body
a. The boot has creaking+clunking sound as in something seems not tightened.
b. Boot doesn't close at times completely and loosens by itself.
c. Boot light also acts up now and then. Maybe some loose contact.
d. Doors seem fine for now but have had to ask people to shut it really hard.

4. Enginebay - rattles/clunking noise only at times.

5.Brake-pads grinding. Clearly noticeable during low speeds just before coming to a halt. Initially thought it to be due to the moisture but it prevailed through the day my driving and I was sure that it was a issue with the brake pads. 6.Clutch and Gears has been flawless.

7.Suspensions are harder for the front I suspect it to be the tyres. I have the JK Elanzos which are really pathetic and I hate it. Bought to the RM notice on the day of the delivery itself and he said he would try to get them replaced to Bridgestone but came back saying not possible. With the ISI thingy the choices aren't much. Found a set of 4 Geolanders with 265-65-17, guess will wait it out a wee bit longer for options.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-xuv1.jpg  

Old 14th December 2011, 21:32   #1273
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by o.D View Post
Took delivery of W8 2 weeks ago and here is a list to track of what works and what does not –

5.Brake-pads grinding. Clearly noticeable during low speeds just before coming to a halt. Initially thought it to be due to the moisture but it prevailed through the day my driving and I was sure that it was a issue with the brake pads.

Congratulations o.D. Your XUV looks neat with those Hellas!

The brakepad issue has been reported by at least a couple of owners already and looks like getting them replaced (because of design-flaw) is the remedy.

I am assuming that your W8 is a FWD. Yet to see a AWD being reported on TBHP. Drive safe and enjoy! Congratulations once again.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 06:30   #1274
BHPian

Congratulations o.D on your new ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o.D
Took delivery of W8 2 weeks ago...
3. Body
a. The boot has creaking+clunking sound as in something seems not tightened.
b. Boot doesn't close at times completely and loosens by itself.
c. Boot light also acts up now and then. Maybe some loose contact.
d. Doors seem fine for now but have had to ask people to shut it really hard.

4. Enginebay - rattles/clunking noise only at times.
I had similar problem (#3) with my Scorpio and then realized it's due to the door that doesn't close fully at times. It usually happens when only rear door is operated while all four sides are closed with window up. Realized it as wind-lock or what ever is the culprit and now always keep a crack of window open when opening and closing the rear door. Don't know if it's applicable for XUV however, worth a try I guess.

Regarding problem #4, is that while starting / stopping the engine or while driving itself?
GunMo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 08:51   #1275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by o.D View Post
Congrats o.D, guess yours is the first AWD here on t-bhp. Do start a seperate ownership thread to share your experiences.

How much did you pay for Hellas ?

Cheers,
Rajesh
2500cc is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed