Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2011, 11:58   #106
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV5OO : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post

I would like to know if there is a version available without the 3rd row of seats. After all, there would be some who would want to use it purely as a 5 seater with the extra space.
@selfdrive : there isn't a version without the 3rd row in offering. One option as you would have known is to permanently fold the 3rd row and use it as a five seater with loads of luggage space.
Old 14th October 2011, 11:59   #107
BHPian

Thanks Mod for the excellent and detailed review as always. It is going to change the market at its top and bottom end as well. People looking foe top end C, C+ segment sedans would definetly be tempted to have a look. A true VFM package
Old 14th October 2011, 12:03   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
@selfdrive : there isn't a version without the 3rd row in offering. One option as you would have known is to permanently fold the 3rd row and use it as a five seater with loads of luggage space.
yeah, I am aware of that option. Its just that if and when I go for this beast, the 3rd row will always remain folded. So I thought it would be better if a version would be available where that space could be used for the spare. Effectively, it will resolve even the accessibility issue for the spare. In any case, I will end up removing that 3rd row of seating if/ when I own this vehicle.

Now there is another question. Will it be possible for the spare to fitted outside the rear/ boot door in the aftermarket? Or will this cause any balancing/ warranty issues?
Old 14th October 2011, 12:07   #109
BHPian

Here is the advertisement posted by M&M for XUV 500 on times of india . Picture taken from times of india . Great work done by M&M .
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-getimage.jpg  

Safari_Beast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 12:07   #110
Senior - BHPian

Great review guys, rated it the well-deserved 5 stars

What's incomprehensible is the lack of luggage space, I would have thought that the target customer is surely the urban executive who would like to dump a few bags & drive up into the mountains (at least, up North) for a lazy weekend with wife (& kids or friends). That's where the lack of space is really going to pinch - in fact, it looks like they've done another Xylo on this one. Disappointing stuff, more so when it is longer than the Scorpio!

I'm also hoping (against hope) that they've extensively tested out the electronics 'cos the discerning (read demanding) customer at this price segment is definitely not going to put up with shoddy electronics.

Reading between the lines, if I'm hearing you guys correctly, there are quite a few shortcomings but its the price which swings it the 5OO way, correct ?

Last edited by suman : 14th October 2011 at 12:09.
suman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 12:12   #111
BHPian

Absolute drool-worthy and complete paisa-vasool, the vehicle as well as the review. Are there roof (ski rack?) accessories available for luggage?
Though they missed a big opportunity by not introducing an AT version for spoilt brats like me.
Are there exchange offers with other cars? Last heard, they had some exchange offers with Scorpio.
Old 14th October 2011, 12:13   #112
BHPian

Great Review indeed! Any plans to launch XUV5oo in Europe?
Old 14th October 2011, 12:14   #113
BHPian

What i fail to understand is how were they inspired by a cheetah.

Neither is it lean as a cheetah, nor does it look like one from the front. I mean from which angle do they think it looks like one?
Old 14th October 2011, 12:27   #114
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Pronounced as XUV5OO (as in the alphabet “O”). Thus it’s five double oh and NOT five hundred.
Excellent review, manson. In the TV commercials, the background voice pronounced it as 'Five-Twin-Oh', IIRC. In fact, it could be mistaken as 'Five Thunder'!

Old 14th October 2011, 12:28   #115
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I'm also hoping (against hope) that they've extensively tested out the electronics
True. From Manson's review:

Quote:
Even on our test car, the electronics were acting funny from time to time. Once, after switching the ESP off, we couldn’t figure out how to switch it back on. Ditto for the hill descent control. On another occasion, the rear air-con button refused to activate air-conditioning at the back. Strangely, after a while (that included engine switch off and restart), these controls were back to normal. Mahindra better sort these things out ASAP, remember how Scorpio VLX owners always complain of their sensors going bust?
Quote:
Reading between the lines, if I'm hearing you guys correctly, there are quite a few shortcomings but its the price which swings it the 5OO way, correct
Bingo. No vehicle is perfect, but the XUV's price more than makes up for any shortcomings.
Old 14th October 2011, 12:28   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_sinha View Post
Though they missed a big opportunity by not introducing an AT version for spoilt brats like me.
Are there exchange offers with other cars? Last heard, they had some exchange offers with Scorpio.

I am sure that the AT version will follow soon.

And I am sure Mahindra First Choice will be more than happy to take the old cars, but I doubt that there will be any freebies at the moment. Probably a wait for a year (may be less) would be there before we can think of any offers (a.k.a. Vento)
Old 14th October 2011, 12:30   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabasheer View Post
Expecting Skoda Yeti price correction in coming months!!!
If Skoda waits for 'months', it already be too late. I think this is a great win for consumers. Thanks M&M. (It sounds like the candy company now, the XUV is surely very tasty.)
Old 14th October 2011, 12:33   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
I am sure that the AT version will follow soon.

And I am sure Mahindra First Choice will be more than happy to take the old cars, but I doubt that there will be any freebies at the moment. Probably a wait for a year (may be less) would be there before we can think of any offers (a.k.a. Vento)
Are they (M&M and Mahindra First Choice) integrated so well? Didnt know that.
Old 14th October 2011, 12:35   #119
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review Manson and GTO !

Please could someone try and establish when they are going to launch the automatic version - is it going to be more powerful?

Cheers
Old 14th October 2011, 12:36   #120
Senior - BHPian

I am all but blown away by the XUV. Quantum leep indeed for Mahindra's. The features and interiors are that of any European car. Well done Mahindra. A pat truly deserved.

This is one SUV that will sell like hot cakes - Initial bookings do indicate the same. Overbooked, inspite of launch in 5 cities only, is an indicator of things to come.

Only wish Mahindra's get the A.S.S sorted out. Not that they have major issues, a la Skoda, but they aren't great either like say, Toyota.

Manson and GTO. Great review. As usual, great attention to detail. Rating a well deserved 5 stars.

Most Viewed