Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2011, 12:37   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV5OO : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Bingo. No vehicle is perfect, but the XUV's price more than makes up for any shortcomings.
Buy WHY? When people are not ready to accept any shortcomings in the Etios twins which is built to a price (read interiors) why are they ready to do so with a Mahindra?

Is it a brand conception? Or, is it a perception that "Indian brand hai! Itna leeway to dena hi chahiye"? But then that is not acceptable with a Japanese or a European brand?

When you will be buying a 15L car (the on-road price for the 4WD version of the 5OO, I presume), will people accept the compromises in the electronics (if any) and the rattles and squeaks in the interiors?

Last edited by dkaile : 14th October 2011 at 12:40.
Old 14th October 2011, 12:37   #122
BHPian

Super review Manson. 5 stars !!
As asked by someone earlier, pl let us know the mileage that ur XUV gave.

Just a thought for those worried about space: Why don't u look at the flexibility option ?

Think of it as a 6 seater with enough space for a couple of large suitcases and a few bags on top of those (with one 3rd row seat folded down) !!

Optionally, remove the 3rd row seats and use them at home.
Use the huge space left behind for luggage.
Keep a mattress and few cushions handy to convert this area into a cosy place for a couple to relax / play / 'fool around'
Actually with the seats removed I believe more than 2 people can be accomodated.

Last edited by manson : 14th October 2011 at 12:44.
Old 14th October 2011, 12:39   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_sinha View Post
Are they (M&M and Mahindra First Choice) integrated so well? Didnt know that.
Same group. I exchanged my Delhi registered Wagon R for the Scorpio, the transaction was seamless, the amount from the Wagon R got directly deducted from the price of the Scorpio and a 20 K exchange bonus was thrown in as well .
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 12:39   #124
BHPian

From a "Bang for your Buck" perspective XUV 500 offers you the most.

I have never used a Scorpio myself, but know people who have been diehard scorpio fans. Two of my friends have replaced their older Scorpios with new ones. There are niggles with the Scorpio, and will probably be with the 500 but nothing which will overwhelmingly upset the Value applecart. If Mahindra has the service act done right, then it should take care of concerns.

That said, Mahindra has still left some features which probably can find way through in later versions, or probably with AT aka Hyundai which tends to load up and charge more for the AT versions of its vehicles. Few that come to mind immediately are

- Sunroof
- Keyless Start / Stop
- Automatic Dimming IRVM
- Automatic Transmission (but obvious)

& possibly electric seats.
Old 14th October 2011, 12:42   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor View Post

BTW while interacting with Mahindra guys did you get a clue as to there most conservative target sale. I think they goofed up big time estimating the market response. Else there would never have been such a long waiting period.
I consider it very sensible and mature to be have a conservative approach despite having a phenomenal product mix. Imagined having a 4,000 units production capacity and the product bombing for some odd reason? It would result in a huge number of occupied stockyards and a rather rigid fix in working capital figures for the manafacturer and dealerships.

Quote:
IF hypothetically we assume Aria was or will be priced similar what would be your take?
Between GTO & me, we were hard pressed to take a call between the Fortuner and the XUV mainly due to the butch styling of the Fortuner and the realibility associated with the Toyota badge, the Aria would hardly be in contention here.

Quote:
DO you think this will reshape the entire SUV/MUV/Xover market pricing.
Or because of the waiting period price war won't really start.
Absolutely. The XUV will have a similar cascading effect like the Indigo caused back in 2003 for the higher priced Accent, Esteem, Indigo, Opel Corsa, Ikon, e.t.c.

Quote:
Does the seat belt at its lowest position likely to bite the neck of short people. (My wife can't usually wear seat belts without hurting herself even in their lowermost position)
We would have surely made a note of the same had there been an issue. However the best way to take a call on this is to go for a test drive at your next door Mahindra dealership.
manson is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 12:44   #126
BHPian

Great review Guys.. I mostly feel this XUV500 is designed based on the American /Euro market... The Front grills looks very much like the Jeep Brand..
If launched globally then this SUV might be a Standard size SUV to fit 5 people...

A good VFM SUV..
Tail light seems similar to chevy avalanche with slight change.
Old 14th October 2011, 12:45   #127
BHPian

Great review Manson & GTO. Came at the right time for me as I was about to go in for the booking of a Scorpio VLX. However am still worried about the fact that electronics might be a sore point on this otherwise neat vehicle. Whats actualy interesting is to see whether the launch of XUV 5'o' 'o', throws some amount of discounts in the overlapping ( price wise) Scorpio range by Mahindra.
Old 14th October 2011, 12:49   #128
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Review.
Yes. All mahindra vehicles end with "o" including their two wheelers (Duo). I think it has become a winning sentiment for M&M.

Great to see lot of electronic gizmos in this big animal and hope M&M wont let down in their durability (as very rightly mentioned in the review). Very proud to be an Indian on seeing these kind of products manufactured in our country.

Heard that many scorpio bookings were upgraded to XUV5ohoh by the customers.
Old 14th October 2011, 12:54   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Buy WHY? When people are not ready to accept any shortcomings in the Etios twins which is built to a price (read interiors) why are they ready to do so with a Mahindra?

Is it a brand conception? Or, is it a perception that "Indian brand hai! Itna leeway to dena hi chahiye"? But then that is not acceptable with a Japanese or a European brand?

When you will be buying a 15L car (the on-road price for the 4WD version of the 5OO, I presume), will people accept the compromises in the electronics (if any) and the rattles and squeaks in the interiors?
Please note that the scenario is different.

Etios is not exactly a "cheap" vehicle considering the on-road price when compared to other budget mid size sedans. Issues with Etios, as far as I have heard, is high engine noise, rough gearbox, cabin not well insulated, no rubber beadings, etc. Also, Etios is not offering any astounding features never heard of in that segment or in that price bracket that would make it truly value for money.

On the other hand, compared to competitors like innova & Aria, XUV is really well priced. It does not have any major issues (reported till now) regarding drivetrain. All people complain about it is lack of 3rd row space & quality of plastics. Infact, the cabin is well insulated, refinement is good & there is no major cost cutting evident anywhere. It does not look or feel "built to cost". Finally, XUV does offer a lot of features which cars even double that price does not offer.

So, XUV does feel VFM unlike Etios. My 2 cents.
raj_5004 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 13:05   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post

I only hope it does not turn out to be like a cheap multi-utility knife of chinese origin where it has dozens and dozens of fitments but when the quality of steel is tested it ain't SS316 (like that of the Victorinox)!

Also one has to learn to live the squeaks and the creaks when one is paying 7 lac less than the benchmark product...
dkaile why do you even assume that XUV's performance can be compared to that of a multi utility knife of Chinese origin? If past is prologue, I think you should rest satisfied seeing what was delivered with Scorpio, Xylo and Bolero.

Fortuner can continue to be the benchmark for over priced products.
rrsteer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 13:10   #131
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

With the last row seats folded, can an average man sit on the seat's back?(As in sittin on the floor on the seat). Can the back of the seat take the load?
Or for those on a short highway trip can fold all the seats and sit on the floor( for a change). Is this possible?
Old 14th October 2011, 13:15   #132
BHPian

Manson/GTO. WOW! what a read! thanks for all your hardwork for getting this review out. As always its an assurance once I read a review on team-bhp to make more accurate judgment. Mahindra has shaken the market with their product and the price. However they have miles to go before they can back this up with equally good after sales service. This will be one differentiating factor that can quickly turn the table back on them if they are thinking of increasing the price in the future.

I am sure Mahindra have more Aces to pay with and it will be very interesting to see how they play their game in next couple of years. However I feel the starting point is to have excellent after sales support.

Though XUV is not launched in Hyderabad I went ahead with my booking.

Last edited by NikhilReddy : 14th October 2011 at 13:33.
Old 14th October 2011, 13:17   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Etios is not exactly a "cheap" vehicle
XUV is really well priced. It does not have any major issues
So, XUV does feel VFM unlike Etios.
Is 15L on road price for the 4WD 5OO "cheap" by current standards? Will people still perceive it as value if the niggles exist as pointed out in the official TBhp road test? Or will the scenario change once the initial "hoopla" dies down?

Not to be mistaken, I would like an "Indian" XUV to succeed but not at the cost of any compromises in the "hidden" essentials like the electricals etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
If past is prologue, I think you should rest satisfied seeing what was delivered with Scorpio, Xylo and Bolero.
That is exactly the point. Your perception and mine about the Scorpio et al from their band-wagons differs and so does every other reviewer's who say that that the XUV is "unlike" any other product Mahindra before. They perceived it to be better than the previous siblings from their stable.

Mahindra may have given us value-for-money products in the past which has resulted in 10K+ monthly sales of the Bolero but on the quality and luxury front, it is a different perception about Mahindra all together, till now (i.e. XUV 5OO).
Old 14th October 2011, 13:19   #134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post

However, I think that XUV is gonna eat big chunk of Scorpio's share.
Yes, it surely will. We don't have factual numbers, but I have noticed most 'Refresh' generation Scorpios to be of top end 'VLX' trim which is priced at the same level as the entry level W6 VUV5OO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donrakeeb View Post

Wanted to make a booking, but the bookings are closed for all variants of XUV. Not sure when bookings will be opened back.
Keep in touch with your next door Mahindra dealership. A source has just informed me this morning that Mahindra will resume XUV booking in about 15 odd days, albeit without ay formal press release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post

1. Would customers of a 15lac product like being treated with/as Pickup drivers? In this department, Mahindra is very unlike even the TATA. Almost ALL the Mahindra service centers I have been DO NOT have it in them to treat a 15 lac customer the way he deserves it.
Apart from the purple club membership that comes with the ownership of the XUV, we have also heard that Mahindra has specifically instructed dealerships and service centres to be extra courteous and pass on preferential treatment whilst dealing with XUV5OO customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
2. With all the electronics, and fancy features, what would be the long term (3 year +) reliability? I wouldn't buy a 15 lac product and let M&M do their R&D on me.
From personal experience, electronics have traditionally been Mahindra's weak point. While we have seen tremendous improvement in almost all weak regions of Mahindra, but we will have to patiently guage the overall reliability of the electronics over a couple of years.
Old 14th October 2011, 13:20   #135
Senior - BHPian

Great review.
One of the things I noticed is, the door trim is all hard plastic. Soft Padding around the body contact points would have given nice feel
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post

Sunvisor extender. You can use it on the side window, but not on the windscreen:

Noticed the text is upside down . Attention to details to small things make a great product then breaking conventions!

But still overall a great product for the money.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed