Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2011, 18:54   #361
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
I had posted on a new thread as it seemed that I was the only one who wanted to be overtly vocal about the XUV 500. The write up was despatched to the middle of what seems to be a thread of Mahindra Chorus. After writing to the Admins, I got my link back-
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post2545225

And I had time to check my figures for the XUV-XYLO_Innova argument that I was trying to make as a part of my ire with Mahindra.

The other being the continued poor quality of materials and the fit and finish. IN short this- its 10+ years since they are making the Scorpio, so no way one can call them novices or learners. Its just a concern that they are not learning.

I will be back in a bit with your figures in mm, to ask you what big have they done by calling this the XUV, when its nothing but a Xylo in disguise.

My profound sadness at expecting a full blown 'desi-Fortuner killer' took some time to deal with, but am still cheesed that this is a hash.

-Rgds.
Seems that your link goes back to the Home Page.

My viws on this. The desi SUV makers (M&M and Tata) have tried to fill a gap where we do not have anything at those price points, with the Endeavour (17 Lacs +) & Fortuner (21 Lacs +) others (Grand Vitara, Honda CRV, Yeti etc are again in the same higher league despite not having the hulk of the SUV's)

Lets give credit to M&M and Tata for bringing out vehicles which finally do not look boxy, though Tata did a miscalculation with the pricing of the Aria). XUV5OO is a good attempt and even I who is not a great fan of M&M have lots of praise for them.

XUV5OO can never be a Xylo is disguise as the basic design architecture is vastly different (Xylo-ladderframe; XUV-monocoque)

Last edited by m_upreti : 17th October 2011 at 18:58.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2011, 18:54   #362
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
After writing to the Admins, I got my link back
Correction. Your post was moved to this thread and was always there (you might want to refer to the automated PM that's sent). It's just that the link was provided to you manually (which you could have very well found yourself, by searching).

Quote:
The other being the continued poor quality of materials and the fit and finish.
I consider the quality to be VASTLY improved, and so do about a 100 BHPians who have checked out the XUV in person. But of course, there are rough edges, and some suspicious areas, but keep the price in mind and what the XUV offers relative to old bumpy SUVs like the 18 lakh Endeavour. No car is perfect.

Have you checked out the quality of the fully-loaded Scorpios & Safaris BTW? The top variants are priced within the XUV's range. As I mentioned before, the XUV makes most other SUVs & MUVs look over-priced. Mahindra only has to ensure that the reliability is in place. The electronic glitches in our test vehicle weren't welcome.

Quote:
they done by calling this the XUV, when its nothing but a Xylo in disguise.
Hilarious statement at best. I hope you realise that the Xylo is a ladderframe while the XUV is a proper monocoque. Simply put, even if Mahindra wanted to, they couldn't base the XUV on the Xylo. Do verify the differences in their construction, engine, engine layout, drivetrain etc before making misleading, sweeping statements.

Quote:
My profound sadness at expecting a full blown 'desi-Fortuner killer'
For sure, every product will meet with mixed reaction. But it does appear that the majority disagree with you (based on reviews from BHPians who have driven it, as well as the bookings). I'm a diehard Fortuner lover; yet, you can read my comments comparing the two on the 1st page. If I had to buy a new vehicle today (highly unlikely as I only buy pre-worshipped cars), I'd pick the XUV over the Fortuner simply because I don't think the Fortuner is worth 10 lakhs more. Note that, until the XUV was launched, the Fortuner was my "eyes shut" purchase in the 20 lakh segment.

Please keep the comments realistic. It'll help us in taking your posts seriously. Thanks.

Last edited by GTO : 17th October 2011 at 19:08.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2011, 19:08   #363
Senior - BHPian

It is nice to get the review. I can simply say it is a poor man's Fortuner. Those who cannot afford to buy can go for this with some 25% down compromise with Fortuner. It is true that always these SUV manufacturers forget the luggage of the over all passengers.The space for luggage is too less in all SUVs.When we use it for 5 passengers the boot space on folding last row is spacious boot.The rear view seems to be pathetic.
Old 17th October 2011, 19:15   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti.Rahul View Post
Pankaj Dude: Where do you live in Delhi? I have ordered a silver XUV too and would like to check out what difference does the chrome make! Lemme know and we can catch up at a place of convenience!

So glad to learn that you are making such bold statements against Audi and the likes- be it only for the looks deptt. Would surely like to check out the looks of your XUV with chrome all over. Way to go!
hey
pankaj,i would also like to check your ride,if possible,then let me know,i would also like to catch up.
Old 17th October 2011, 19:17   #365
Team-BHP Support

TATA : Be Scared... Be very scared...

Have you walked into a Maruti showroom and asked for a swift diesel TD?
If you have not, do so.
You will not be welcome.
The salesman will dismiss you, telling you that its got a 1 year waiting.
Overall they will try and get rid of you.

I think that is the case usually, when you have a car which is sold out for the next few months.

When I walked into the Mahindra Showroom a couple of days back, the salesman informed me, that no bookings are being entertained, and situation will remain like this atleast till diwali, as Mahindra can't produce enough of the XUV5OO.

I expected to be shooed out after that.
But quite quite surprisingly, the salesman then asked us to sit in the comfortable sofa, and wait just 5 minutes because their second test car was coming back.

Now this was good to hear. Not one, but two test drive vehicles.

And inspite of the booking logjam, we were not being shooed out.

And as promised, 5 minutes later, I am on the drivers seat of a brand new XUV, done 5000kms.

Considering they got their TD vehicle just over a week back, it means a lot of test drives.

The TD route was short, but in that short time, I learnt a lot of things. For example, the parking sensors were accurate.

The steering feel was spot on.

There was no lag, no quirckyness.

Sure, the the interiors quality, esp when you see control stalks can be called a bit flimsy, but is it that big a deal. I mean, I have sat inside the fortuner, as well as the Endy. Slightly better interior material, does it command a 10 lakh premium? I think not.

Sure there was a silly problem. Whenever I pressed the clutch, my shoe rubbed against the steering column(as manson mentions in review).

But we can overlook that.

When I compare it against the top end Safari, Safari feels so old school, so dated, so "not right".

Sure, lets forget Mahindra-TATA quality debate for a moment, just look at the basics.
Basics like clutch, gearshift, the engine characteristics, the power delivery, the AC, the seating comfort.

It whips the Safari black and blue.
And it does the same to Scorpio.

Our good friend SS-Traveller tells me Mahindra has launched 4x4 in LX trim, and another thread tells me that Tata has relaunched the Safari EX-4x4.

But does it even matter?

Most Safari Scorpio buyers buy the 4x2 versions, and this thing in W6 avatar leaves them far behind in every respect.

Why would you spend 9.xx L on a safari EX (ex showroom price), when you can spend a lakh more and get yourself a W6 XUV5OO?

Or why would you spend 11L on the Safari VX 4x2.

As for the 4x4 SUV buyers, I have seen a few Safari 4x4 users on this forum, and only around half of them have done things which cannot be done in a XUV5OO.

Wanna drive to Leh, Pangong, Spiti, Tso moriri. XUV 5OO 4x4 will do it without fuss. Innova does those routes, remember?

Sure if you want to do some dune bashing, or rock crawling deep in the 5000m high changthang desert, you will miss the low ratio. But otherwise, this vehicle is a no brainer.

No wonder its sold out.

I am sure, many fortuner owners are wondering, why "OOOOO" why!
If I had purchased a fortuner 6 months back, I would also wonder. Why did I spend 20L ex showroom.

This is a game changer, and its sold out.

Car manufacturers over-estimate their product demand often, Mahindra has underestimated it. And now they are in a fix.

But its a nice kind of fix to be in.

Tata used to be the "global" brand, the brand which will bring us new things, from seven seas across, with new tech out of its acquired assets. And Mahindra has pulled the rug out of Tata's feet.

This is quite a surprise.

And of course, we can all nitpick, we can find faults, but the fact remains for 10,XX ex showroom Delhi, there is no other vehicle which is more car per car.

If Mahindra can get "reliability" right, it will also hit the Innova along with Fortuner, Endy and the whole clan of CBU SUVs costing 20 lakh.
tsk1979 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th October 2011, 19:30   #366
BHPian

Re: TATA : Be Scared... Be very scared...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post

Wanna drive to Leh, Pangong, Spiti, Tso moriri. XUV 5OO 4x4 will do it without fuss. Innova does those routes, remember?
Hey tsk, excellent write-up. A quick question though. Did you mean to say, this cannot be done in a XUV FWD?
Old 17th October 2011, 19:36   #367
Team-BHP Support

Re: TATA : Be Scared... Be very scared...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteg View Post
Hey tsk, excellent write-up. A quick question though. Did you mean to say, this cannot be done in a XUV FWD?
In the hands of a capable driver it will do everything a innova will do.
A 4x4 will do even more.
What I meant is that unless you want to try out hardcore rock crawling, a XUV 4x4 will do it all.
And a 4x2 will do everything your regular 4x4 MUV/SUVs do.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2011, 19:41   #368
Senior - BHPian

XUV5oo will be a hit even if there is a 1 lakh price increase IF the following criteria are satisfied.

1) Electronic gadgets are reliable / fixed without pinching the pocket at MahASS.
2) The Dealer and Service Experience is on Par with Toyota
3) Minor things that matter like a premium lounge, Pickup and Drop for the XUV customer etc.
4) Support from Mahindra Customer Service in case of an issue.(How effective will be the purple club). They must fix issues like how toyota responds and not do managerial talk or tactical talk.
5) Have a transparent booking system (This is in place)
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2011, 19:52   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
XUV5oo will be a hit even if there is a 1 lakh price increase IF the following criteria are satisfied.
I doubt if the XUV will be a hit if the price is increased by 1lac. The XUV has generated so much of interest just because of the price its being offered and people consider it a pure VFM.
I am sure, there will be hundreds of people who would have stretched their budget in order to buy themselves the XUV. A price hike of 1lac will be way too much then. It will be dropped off their list immediately.
Old 17th October 2011, 19:59   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I doubt if the XUV will be a hit if the price is increased by 1lac. The XUV has generated so much of interest just because of the price its being offered and people consider it a pure VFM.
I am sure, there will be hundreds of people who would have stretched their budget in order to buy themselves the XUV. A price hike of 1lac will be way too much then. It will be dropped off their list immediately.
I was mentioning about the 17 lac-20 lac budget segment. If i get all the frills of a toyota at 17 lacs( Mahindra) i would definetly pick the Mahindra to a toyota.
Old 17th October 2011, 20:09   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I was mentioning about the 17 lac-20 lac budget segment. If i get all the frills of a toyota at 17 lacs( Mahindra) i would definetly pick the Mahindra to a toyota.
A price hike of 1 lac will not make any difference to those looking at 17-20lac bracket. But think of those looking at 12-14lac bracket. Wouldn't this number be more than the former?
A couple of months ago, i couldn't even think of buying a brand new Scorpio SLE. But today I am considering a W8 FWD. I have pushed my budget to the extreme. A price hike of 1lac and XUV is out of my list
zteg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2011, 20:17   #372
BHPian

Quote:
A price hike of 1 lac will not make any difference to those looking at 17-20lac bracket. But think of those looking at 12-14lac bracket. Wouldn't this number be more than the former?
A couple of months ago, i couldn't even think of buying a brand new Scorpio SLE. But today I am considering a W8 FWD. I have pushed my budget to the extreme. A price hike of 1lac and XUV is out of my list
I am in the same boat. My previous dream car was Vento Diesel HL but I won't mind stretching my budget for XUV at its current price. One lakh more and it's immediately out of consideration. Remember, XUV is generating so much interest only because of its low price and VFM tag. Otherwise there are plenty of excellent SUVs on the market.
bansal98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2011, 20:19   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Which dealer? I am looking for test drive on AWD version. But it was not available in IG, st marks road. They did not even have one on display.
Ranga, mxx, SKS Automibiles on Bannerghatta Rd had at least one AWD in white. (or so I was told); That's the one I drove.
timetraveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2011, 20:28   #374
BHPian

With so much anticipation for this model, all production booked for the next couple of months and the waiting period exceeding 6 months, do we still have hope to see the 178 BHP variant in the near furture? or an Auto Transmission. I am sure if they get on with these 2 variants coming, there could be some ease to the current backlog. But again if all this has to come out of the same plant then we don't have much choice I happen to be one who could not book it in the first lot.

Hope M&M would be thinking of some strategy to overcome the current stalemate...
Old 17th October 2011, 20:51   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
It looks you had wrong expectation from XUV
Yes.

But am still at work, wait for the mm to mm compare, and forget my ire, tell me what new have they done? They have created a slick advertisement and PR machine and nothing else.
-Rgds.

Most Viewed