Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2011, 15:57   #586
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMo View Post
That's good news - Mahindra is fixing the overbooking / delayed-delivery quagmire they got themselves into.

Like I said elsewhere in this thread, Mahindra "listens" to its customers! Goes only to boost my confidence in them.

I'm one of those unfortunate to miss the first boat. But I'm only counting my lucky stars that Mahindra fixes, or rather "improves", some niggles in current version by the time I book

Niggles to fix (in MY order of priority):
1. That 'in your face' reflection of central waterfall column - This can be expected as the supplier can change the finish to matt.

2. 2nd row split bench on rails - Seems tough at the moment

3. Factory fitted reverse camera as standard (no fancy, with tiny rear view it IS a necessity)
3a. Option on infotainment screen to select and see reverse view anytime - i.e., even when moving forward - - Good to have given the limited visibility on the center mirror

4. AWD in silver with better combination of interiors (I'm okay with all black+chrome accents) - Achievable

5. Better plastics for interior (places like stalks, reading lights, etc) - If you consider the cost involved, this might remain a desire.

6. Better quality ICE (head unit & speakers) with additional screens at back that can play videos even on the move (front screen showing only the track and play time when hand brake not engaged to satisfy RTO) - Can be offered as an accessory

7. Electric adjustable seats with memory - at least for driver - Desirable, not a necessity

8. Extended / Doubled sunroof (to reduce claustrophobic at last row) - - Yes if we can have it

Of course, #6,7,8 can be bundled into next higher version called W12 - Something like the Scorpio First, for those who want a Mahindra with sheer luxury.
And may be a Start Button also (should not be difficult as all old Jeeps had one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I would expect some revisions only in around 2 years from now - may be once the sales stabilize. When they are really struggling with delivery, I doubt whether they will even bother to check & replace any of these stuff which are mostly "desirable" changes & would not affect the performance of the car or even reliability.
As a company it would be prudent to listen to the customers and the market vibes and do the changes ASAP. VW achieved this with the Vento despite the long queus initially, and already 2 refreshed versions have appeared in quick succession.
Old 22nd October 2011, 16:34   #587
Senior - BHPian

Guys help please. Today got a call saying that the delivery will be next week instead of 16th nov. They are quoting me 42000 for insurance and say that i have to take it from them as its the dealer requirement. Is this mandatory? Cant i get the insurance from outside? People from Delhi who got the delivery please advice. Did your dealer did the same thing?
Old 22nd October 2011, 17:12   #588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Guys help please. Today got a call saying that the delivery will be next week instead of 16th nov. They are quoting me 42000 for insurance and say that i have to take it from them as its the dealer requirement. Is this mandatory? Cant i get the insurance from outside? People from Delhi who got the delivery please advice. Did your dealer did the same thing?
You can definitely get the quote from outside. If the dealer is not agreeing call up Mahindra customer care and escalate.
Old 22nd October 2011, 17:16   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Yes you can get it from outside, Mannubhai got it from outside. You can check his XU500 thread at the link below:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ip-thread.html
Old 22nd October 2011, 17:19   #590

The sales person in Sireesh Auto in Bangalore explained about another feature:

If an incoming call is rejected though the car BT, the caller will get a message which says "The person you are calling is driving"

A nice touch, though I have not tested this.
Old 22nd October 2011, 17:39   #591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They are quoting me 42000 for insurance and say that i have to take it from them as its the dealer requirement. Is this mandatory? Cant i get the insurance from outside? People from Delhi who got the delivery please advice. Did your dealer did the same thing?
Nonsense. Tell then to take a hike. Find out what is being quoted to you from outside and if they match or better it, take it from them, else no one can force you to take the insurance from the dealership. there is no such requirement. If they insist, tell them to give t to you in writing and that you will go to and complain to M&M and the press.
I never take insurance and registration from the dealer as they are almost certainly more expensive. Now the luxury sector has realize this and are offering you great deals.

Last edited by V-16 : 22nd October 2011 at 17:40.
Old 22nd October 2011, 20:01   #592
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They are quoting me 42000 for insurance and say that i have to take it from them as its the dealer requirement. Is this mandatory? Cant i get the insurance from outside?
NOT at all mandatory! The dealers have huge margins in insurance & hence they give all these "goli". If they don't abide, please ask them for a written statement for the same. If they still refuse, tell them you will take it up with M&M. Anand mahindra has a tweeter account and inform him of this too - he is very responsive & will get some one on-board to check on this. Also if you already have a vehicle, you could transfer the NCB to the new one and save quite some bucks too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Find out what is being quoted to you from outside and if they match or better it, take it from them,
The chances are VERY minimal that the dealers will ever match the quotes given from outside. For this car, I guess the dealer has a margin of anything between 5-10K for the quoted amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
As a company it would be prudent to listen to the customers
Completely agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
VW achieved this with the Vento despite the long queus initially, and already 2 refreshed versions have appeared in quick succession.
Vento was never perceived as a VFM car in the first place. People always felt that this car was under equipped for the price / segment it dealt with. With the entry of Verna, Vento was forced to provide more equipment to survive. From a long waiting period it came to a level where some variants were even available off-the-shelf. Remember, in-spite of almost double the production capacity per month, Verna commands much higher waiting periods & is considered better VFM.

None of the above points are applicable for XUV 500. This car currently offers the maximum features for the bucks, it even goes on to prove how inferior & over priced, some of the competition are. None of the launches coming soon might be able to match this car in terms of features. And this is referred to as an extremely VFM package. So we will have to wait & see whether M&M really puts any effort to improve the cosmetic package before 1 year from the launch. If they do, brilliant customer focus I would say.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 22nd October 2011 at 20:22.
Old 22nd October 2011, 20:24   #593
BHPian

Well, I got a chance today to view the XUV 5 double oh! in person (not a test drive though) and this is my perspective of how I felt. I know lot of members have seen it and driven it and have shared their opinion already so this might look redundant. Unfortunately I didn't note the version that I checked out.

1. From the outside the XUV looked smaller than other SUVs viz Endeavour, T-Fort and Captiva. I also felt that it looked and felt smaller than what I saw in pics.

2. The panel gap above the muscular loop over the front tyre looked odd in white. Probably it would not be that obvious in other darker colors and will not look that odd. I personally found it a bit odd.

3. The rest of the body looked well proportioned. The tyres I felt were chunky enough and probably won't require an upgrade.

4. I felt that the ground clearance was again not as good as other SUVs. But please check this aspect once again.

5. Interiors are decent and feels solid.

6. The last row is entirely unusable and this can best be termed as a 5-seater. I don't think even tall children would fit in here. The best way to use this vehicle is to use it as a 5-seater.

7. 2nd row has wonderful amount of space and me being 5'10" (with shoes) found adequate room in here.

Overall, a wonderful effort from Mahindra.

Regards,

Saleem.
Old 22nd October 2011, 20:59   #594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Nonsense. Tell then to take a hike. Find out what is being quoted to you from outside and if they match or better it, take it from them, else no one can force you to take the insurance from the dealership. there is no such requirement. If they insist, tell them to give t to you in writing and that you will go to and complain to M&M and the press.
I never take insurance and registration from the dealer as they are almost certainly more expensive. Now the luxury sector has realize this and are offering you great deals.

Sire- a small help requested for- agree on your point on taking insurance from outside, but how does one get registration done on his own? What's the process? And yes, conservatively, how much do I save if I get these two things done from outside?
Old 22nd October 2011, 22:16   #595
BHPian

My booking receipt in particular mention Insurance is mandatory from Dealer
Old 22nd October 2011, 22:26   #596
BHPian

Posted loads of snaps of my XUV , The Mamba in my thread .. Pls do have a look ..

Quote:
Nitin, Be rest assured, its just a pressure tactic. Pls go ahead with an insurance from outside. They cant do a thing on your delivery. I was pressurized too. I held my ground and said I have decided on the insurance. The benefits are as high as 45%-50% if you have an NCB . I got a good deal. Just ensure that your agent is a smart guy who can get the approvals for the NCB conversion.

Last edited by mannubhai : 22nd October 2011 at 22:28.
Old 22nd October 2011, 22:43   #597
BHPian

I was @ Sireesh Auto Marathalli workshop for servicing my Thar. I saw about 20 new XUV5OO parked for Dealer PDI. Looked like they had just landed about a day back or so. Here is the colour distribution.

Satin White - 14
Black - 2
Moondust Silver -3
Dolphin Grey -1
Tuscan Red - 1

Apparently White is the favourite and none of the special colours seemed to be arriving.

Two test drive cars - 1 with a dent in the front LHS door.

Most of them were W8 FWD very few W6.

I could notice considerable panel gap near the A pillar in most of the white cars. It also varied between LHS and RHS. Again gaps were different in different cars. If at all you have a choice to do PDI, pick one which has less panel gaps.

Sireesh had 130 bookings when it was closed. looks like cars are coming in a steady stream. I would not be surprised if bookings are re-opened 2nd week of November.

I checked with my friendly Service advisor on how PDI is going on and any niggles they have been facing. Apparently there are some issues in Navigation software and USB ports. Not a big deal though.

If I am buying, my friendly SA advised me to take delivery around March by when most of the smaller niggles would have been sorted out from factory. So folks who missed the first batch, rejoice. later the better.

He also told me that the price rise would be from March, It could be pure speculation, I would take that with a pinch of salt.

Advanced congrats to the 20 XUV 5OO owners, am sure some of them would be BHPians.
Old 22nd October 2011, 23:17   #598
BHPian

Went to the dealer today. I heard him quoting Nov 4th the day when booking resumes
Old 23rd October 2011, 08:29   #599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
My booking receipt in particular mention Insurance is mandatory from Dealer
Rohit: who is this 'cleverest of all' dealer who has got this printed on his booking receipt itself to ensure he mints money on insurance? Is it Koncept or Sree Durga? Very strange thing indeed!
I say you tell him proactively that one of your relatives is into insurance business and you will take it from him only- tell him there's no rule stating insurance is compulsorily from dealer and anyhow he is printing this on booking receipt which is given to client AFTER he has paid booking amount. Bite the bullet now than later. Let me know what he says.
Old 23rd October 2011, 08:44   #600
BHPian

Had been to sireesh auto yesterday and took a test drive of the xuv
Vehicle is fantastic and the test drive laid to rest all my apprehensions
The engine feels very refined and power delivery almost feels like my magnum
The view from the drivers seat is pretty good and this vehicle would be fantastic for long drives
Few drawbacks like many people noted - plastic quality below par like the sliding driver arm rest already has scratches at the rear
3rd row of seats for kids only
second gear very difficult to engage
Seats felt hard but once you start driving this feeling goes away

Most Viewed