Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2012, 17:22   #2026
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Even if it's every 5000 kms, it is in par with other SUVs.

Oil change & everything happens every 10k kms only. The other ones are just a check up service.

You dont need to take your car every 3 months. In Scorpio, its every 5000 kms or 6 months, whichever is earlier.
Raj, if i am not wrong here Xuv first service @ 5000 kms or 3 months, whichever is earlier.....
Old 24th February 2012, 18:38   #2027
BHPian

When I participated in the draw, even though MnM mentioned in T&C that they will take 30 days to refund the money, I was under the assumption that 30 days lead time is to cover any worst case eventuality, but they will proceed with the refund as soon as the draw results are out. But I was wrong. For me this is somehow tarnishing the MnM image of the most ethical Indian MNC. MnM should have refunded the amount as soon as the results were out rather than keeping 140 crore INR with them without a proper justification. Though they are legally clear on this, I feel it is unethical.

-HCP
Old 24th February 2012, 20:39   #2028
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
When I participated in the draw, even though MnM mentioned in T&C that they will take 30 days to refund the money, I was under the assumption that 30 days lead time is to cover any worst case eventuality, but they will proceed with the refund as soon as the draw results are out. But I was wrong. For me this is somehow tarnishing the MnM image of the most ethical Indian MNC. MnM should have refunded the amount as soon as the results were out rather than keeping 140 crore INR with them without a proper justification. Though they are legally clear on this, I feel it is unethical.

-HCP
Sorry, I do not understand this. How is "saying something and then following it to the letter" unethical?
Old 24th February 2012, 21:29   #2029
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya79india View Post
pavan kadam replied to my query in another thread stating that the XUV500 withdrew from Desert Storm 2012! Guess it doesnt speak well for its offroading abilities.
These are the final updates I got from OverDrive. I guess the first point is a testimony to its abilities?

Quote:
Lohith in @MahindraXUV500 has risen from 40th on day1 to 3rd overall; was passing Gypsy's left&right on stages. Excellent debut perf!

Gaurav Gill's XUV500 AWD becomes front wheel drive in the Desert Storm rally 2012, more updates on Day three updates from Maruti Desert Storm Rally 2012 - Overdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya79india View Post
Perhaps I'll have to forego all the gizmos and settle for the Safari Storme.
If you plan for off-roading, the XUV is/was a never fit for your requirement! I am sure you know Safari & XUV though look similar, are totally different when it comes to the construction & target audiences! Please make a wise choice. If you plan to be on road, XUV is going to be a better vehicle. If you plan rough usage, Safari is a better bet!
Old 24th February 2012, 21:39   #2030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Sorry, I do not understand this. How is "saying something and then following it to the letter" unethical?
What I meant is holding up a large amount of public money for a relatively larger time period than that is sufficient to process a refund will create confusion about the companies ethical values on a moral ground. According to me, it is unethical business practice to utilize the money of public to gain profit without providing the service / product for which the customers enrolled for in good faith of the company. I accept the fact that this was part of the terms and conditions published by the company, but a majority of the customers would have thought that MnM would refund the amount immediately after the draw, but as you said they are doing what they said, it will give legal protection for them, but will not improve the image of the company, nor will it make ethical.

I have nothing against MnM or XUV, in fact I will wait for the next opportunity to book one.

HCP

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 24th February 2012 at 21:49.
Old 24th February 2012, 21:59   #2031
Senior - BHPian

There is a new XUV in our apartment complex and I got to drive it for short distance. Based on my earlier experience of driving a Xylo, I expected the clutch to be hard, engine to be vibrating and noisy, gear to be heavy and not precise, steering to be heavy. But the car turned out to be so smooth and effortless to drive. I never expected the clutch to be so smooth and light. Even the steering is very light and has a linear feel (unlike some EPS units like Honda City) to it.
Old 24th February 2012, 22:32   #2032
BHPian

Had a chance to drive the XUV500 for around 20 kms and am absolutely in love with it....
Old 25th February 2012, 00:10   #2033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
These are the final updates I got from OverDrive. I guess the first point is a testimony to its abilities?

If you plan for off-roading, the XUV is/was a never fit for your requirement! I am sure you know Safari & XUV though look similar, are totally different when it comes to the construction & target audiences! Please make a wise choice. If you plan to be on road, XUV is going to be a better vehicle. If you plan rough usage, Safari is a better bet!
I want to be able to travel long distance with family in comfort and participate in ndure category off-road events (not extreme) without getting stuck. What do you suggest?
Old 25th February 2012, 08:42   #2034
BHPian

Hi, I could not search any official T-BHP review of AWD version on the forum. Can any AWD owner post his experience/comments on this feature, thanks!
Old 25th February 2012, 10:55   #2035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misguided View Post
Hi, I could not search any official T-BHP review of AWD version on the forum. Can any AWD owner post his experience/comments on this feature, thanks!
+1 to that. Infact, considering the number of people on this forum itself who've bought the XUV, there aren't that many reviews. Guys, please do share your experiences.

Some AWD and some more W6 variant experiences would be good to read.
Old 25th February 2012, 20:23   #2036
BHPian

Hey Congrats Mahindra team for finishing on Podium in DesertStorm 2012:

Lohitt Urs gets the Mahindra XUV500 a podium finish on debut by finishing third.
Old 25th February 2012, 21:36   #2037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misguided View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
+1 to that. Infact, considering the number of people on this forum itself who've bought the XUV, there aren't that many reviews. Guys, please do share your experiences.

Some AWD and some more W6 variant experiences would be good to read.
Hello,I did finally get an oppurtunity to do some decent off roading with my AWD variant.The going gets really effortless once the AWD lock is activated.Hill hold/descent is an added pro for amatuers.But you do tend to turn off hill descent after a while since it restricts your downward speed a tad bit too much!I did quite some steep ascents to and it just moved forward effortlessly whereas a normal two wheel drive vehicle would have to bear the grunt.Ground clearance is decent.Did not scrape the bottom or the mudflaps even once.But yes ofcourse,it was never extreme off-roading.Highway cruising is really chill in this vehicle.Even to this date after nearly 6 months of vehicle launch,it still is a head-turner on the roads.I was a bit skeptical about the initial criticism it received,but once you own it you'd easily overlook minor niggles if any.I should'nt be publicising this,but I did touch 190km/hr top speed on an empty strech on the NH-4 towards chitradurga.A special mention of the ESP which definitely is a lifesaver.During a trip in the ghat section,there was a bit of understeer at one curve but then the vehicle just got back to track with a little wobble upon hard braking.Thats when I realised the effect of ESP.Also you can anticipate every curve via GPS in forest sections too.I definitely feel its worth the extra price for AWD since we initially thought of goin for the 2WD variant.Btw,variant/colour was both decided in under 5mins while booking since we were one of the firsts and were'nt really sure of whats what!!Overall,pleasurable ownership experience I must say after 2 and half months and 8.5k kilometers.Cheers.
gubbi555 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th February 2012, 22:39   #2038
Senior - BHPian

Just came back from my first service of W6. One thing i must say, Mahindra might have missed on few things when it comes to XUV build quality, but they have covered it up with the service back up. My RM, both Santosh and Anil are excellent. Hats off to these guys. They are the face of mahindra and they are doing a better job than mahindra. These guys know what they are doing. They are focused and make sure you come back home with a smile on your face. For both of them
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2012, 07:56   #2039
BHPian

There was an advertisement in the classifieds last week about an XUV5OO. Apparently he had been allotted a XUV in the last draw. I enquired about the price and he said his margin money is Rs 2.5 lakh ! Wow, the middle men are back in action,thanks to Mahindra. (.I didn't have any further conversation with him.)
Old 26th February 2012, 18:24   #2040
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra's loss is Tata's gain...
After thinking over a lot, When XUV draw was unlucky, bhpain avinashsg took a test drive of 3 other cars...Scorpo, Safari and Aria.
Others were not tested for various other reasons.
Now its down to these two
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-dscn0140.jpg

Aria is very comfortable and lots of airplane like storage.
Safari has that brute power and no-nonsense instrumentation.
Scorpio was not impressive compared to the other two.

Safari and Scorpio have their own problems, so he has prepared himself to deal with whatever it dishes out.

its now 60% Safari and 40% Aria (mainly because of the budget)

Now the refund from Mahindra will be part of the downpayment to Tata.

Most Viewed