Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2012, 10:23   #3121
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
25 lac segment? Are you seeing any thread for xxx SUV and its niggles? Nay. And this thread is doing quite well and is on its 58th page!!!

Pajero/Pajero Sports
X-Trail
Santa FE
Fortuner
Endevour
Yeti

And you still think XUV has much more spunk. Feature wise, it may be rich, but as a product it doesn't comprehensively beat any of the Cars listed. Not by a long shot. It is a very good Car in its own right and you are spot on saying it is VFM, but then you get what you pay for.

The Cars I have listed are still selling & all of them, and that too while paying a premium of over 5 to 10lacs.
What I meant was that if you see the looks, features, power and Price, its a VFM product and probably the best in totality. ofcourse if you had a budget of 25 lacs, you will look at the options you mentioned. I would too. but they do not provide anything significantly more for a premium of 7-10 lacs more. the place where XUV is lacking is in fit, finish and quality of its interiors compared to its rivals in the 25 lac segment. but overall it more than makes up for it.

by the way most of the SUV's you mentioned in your list go above 25 lacs on road. some even crossing 30 lacs! so the difference is even more than 10 lacs in some case and double the price in some case!
Old 19th August 2012, 13:53   #3122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel
25 lac segment? Are you seeing any thread for xxx SUV and its niggles? Nay. And this thread is doing quite well and is on its 58th page!!!

Pajero/Pajero Sports
X-Trail
Santa FE
Fortuner
Endevour
Yeti

And you still think XUV has much more spunk. Feature wise, it may be rich, but as a product it doesn't comprehensively beat any of the Cars listed. Not by a long shot. It is a very good Car in its own right and you are spot on saying it is VFM, but then you get what you pay for.

The Cars I have listed are still selling & all of them, and that too while paying a premium of over 5 to 10lacs.
I agree that the models to have listed may be better or relatively niggle free. But to quantify niggles based on number of pages is not valid.
Afterall all models you have listed (except fortuner) sell less in a WHOLE YEAR when compared to MONTHLY sales of XUV. If you go through the thread most of the issues are more or less same and are repeated by most owners. More owners, more repetition -- more repetition -- more posts/ pages -- more discussion.
Ask any one who has bought XUV if they would be willing to sell it off, none would agree, because the positives of XUV are manifolds more than the few niggles. Few of those positives are even better than the models you have listed.
rohitbagai is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2012, 16:28   #3123
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Here's my XUV5OO. Got it on the 1st of Aug. Its called 'Wanderlust'. Got a carbon fibre effect for the grill and bumper 'whisker' done from 3M and looks killer. Going to do the ORVM casing also.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-rsz_wanderlust1.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-rsz_wanderlust2.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-rsz_1wanderlust3.jpg  

NIP is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th August 2012, 16:47   #3124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Here's my XUV5OO. Got it on the 1st of Aug. Its called 'Wanderlust'. Got a carbon fibre effect for the grill and bumper 'whisker' done from 3M and looks killer. Going to do the ORVM casing also.
OMG!! That looks amazing! How about a pic from dead straight of the XUV?

How much (time and money) did it take to get that Carbon Fibre like look? Is it permanent or more like a decal that sticks to the body? Can it be removed in the future/come off while pressure washing the car?
Old 19th August 2012, 16:57   #3125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevester View Post

How much (time and money) did it take to get that Carbon Fibre like look? Is it permanent or more like a decal that sticks to the body? Can it be removed in the future/come off while pressure washing the car?
To ME it looks like a stick job. It should have costed around 3000/-.

I noticed left over strips of black sticker on the floor in the second last picture
Old 19th August 2012, 18:08   #3126
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Yea cost was around 3k. Will come off easily also. It protects the paint underneath.
NIP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2012, 18:27   #3127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
I agree that the models to have listed may be better or relatively niggle free. But to quantify niggles based on number of pages is not valid.

Ask any one who has bought XUV if they would be willing to sell it off, none would agree, because the positives of XUV are manifolds more than the few niggles. Few of those positives are even better than the models you have listed.
+1000.

Not pointing a finger on anyone, but I have noticed that, since the day of launch, the XUV has been the favorite target for critics. Very conveniently, all the good points like space, comfort, handling, features, pricing, etc. are forgotten and only the negatives are highlighted... some have even gone to the extent of calling this a badly designed product and I wonder why.

In the niggles thread, there are more than 'n' number of niggles which have been reported, which I personally feel are even not worth mentioning. Okay, I do consider the genuine ones like Infotainment error and door lock issues, etc.

By this, I am not saying that the XUV is a glitch free vehicle but I have called up around 5 XUV owners and all of them are happy with their cars and M&M's service. So I feel it is the non-owners who have more problems with the vehicle than the actual owner itself.

Lastly, no offence to anyone please.

Quote:
SUPERB is the word. Kudos man.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 19th August 2012 at 18:28.
raj_5004 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2012, 21:31   #3128
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevester View Post

Sorry replied earlier from my phone so could not reply properly. The work took a couple of hours to do and like I said it cost around 3k for the job. It is very much like decal and 3M says its a protective layer for the paint and will not come off under pressure wash (fingers crossed ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
+1000.

SUPERB is the word. Kudos man.
Thanks Raj
NIP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2012, 22:09   #3129
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry replied earlier from my phone so could not reply properly. The work took a couple of hours to do and like I said it cost around 3k for the job. It is very much like decal and 3M says its a protective layer for the paint and will not come off under pressure wash (fingers crossed ).

Thanks Raj
Looks absolutely brilliant! will look good only on lighter shades mostly. white being the best! maybe even Grey and silver. only thing is it should stay and not come out in parts. that would look worse so.
Old 19th August 2012, 22:16   #3130
BHPian

Quote:

Pajero/Pajero Sports
X-Trail
Santa FE
Fortuner
Endevour
Yeti

I think you are missing the point - we were, at least initially, trying to compare LOOKS only - not the whole package.

And in looks, X Trail and Santa Fe dont look good. Yeti is downright ugly (they should change the name to yucky - wait - I remember the Yeti pictures from childhood now, from Tintin in Tibet - they got the name right after all !!).

The Pajero and Endeavour are OK but have old fashioned looks - of a decade ago.

Fortuner is the only good looking car among the lot and if I had 25 L I would buy it today.

Safari despite its age looks better than most of the list above - and Safari is the king of niggles! Still, nothing wrong with its looks.

When you buy a car you should feel good about it. Spending a lot of money to end up thinking - God my car looks weird - that is silly.
Old 19th August 2012, 22:20   #3131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
And still if you gave those owners ~10L more than what they paid for their XUV, most would make a beeline for other products.

Put your hand on your heart and then say, No.

I am not criticizing the product and this is what I have to say about XUV http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2756495 I actually like it, but claiming it to be the best above its segment is fan boy-ism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I have called up around 5 XUV owners and all of them are happy with their cars and M&M's service.
Just curious, why?

Why only 5 owners and what made you call them up & ask?

Last edited by Sheel : 19th August 2012 at 22:21.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2012, 22:42   #3132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel

And still if you gave those owners ~10L more than what they paid for their XUV, most would make a beeline for other products.

I am not criticizing the product and this is what I have to say about XUV http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2756495 I actually like it, but claiming it to be the best above its segment is fan boy-ism.

Just curious, why?

I was in the same boat when I bought. What I did for the the money saved ? I bought a premium hatch for my wife.
rohitbagai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 02:19   #3133
BHPian

Quote:

exactly dude, 10 lacs more... so you really think they are worth commanding a premium of 10 lacs more? thats 67% more! and what do you get in that? similar power and fun to drive maybe, similar or worse ride and handling and much less features. less features so less niggles and more reliability. better quality and fit and finish of the interiors is all you get dude and some badge snob value. But they do sell is another reason perhaps. when you have that much amount to spend on a car, you go according to what your heart says and personal taste is more at play here rather than realistic valuation.

by the way, Pajero sport and the Nissan X-trail are above 30 lacs! thats more than double the price of XUV !!! even Hyundai Santa-fe and Pajero 2.8 starts at 27.xx on road !! heck.. barring fortuner I don't think all of them combined sell enough numbers in a year what XUV sell in a month!

even though I earlier said that I would buy from the SUV's you mentioned if I were to spend 25L but now actually come to think of it... if I were to spend 10-15 lacs more right now, I would rather buy myself another car. a sedan perhaps. makes more sense dont you think?
magikrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 04:12   #3134
BHPian

This is a bit invalid, isn't it. Give any car owner 10 lakhs more and he will go for something else previously unaffordable. And even at 10 lakhs more you don't get what XUV offers; Yeti - cramped, Outlander/CRV - petrol, Captiva - high speed handling not as good, Fortuner - ladder on frame, poor stability at high speeds - issues with rollover - still using drum brakes in India - no esp inspite of this in India! - the Hilux performed very poorly on the elk test, poor interiors.

I think the XUV is tremendous value and we don't give credit for the things its got right which are perhaps the toughest, great ride and stability at high speeds, not many SUVs can offer this. A good punchy engine and excellent space and safety features. The rest of the stuff is cherry on top and it has a lot. The pricing completes and equation and the waiting lists testify to this. A better design on this base would have made it completely irresistible.

All new models will have issues, its just that because we are first market for XUV we are going to face it. Does this mean Mahindra is off the hook, of course not. They have issues to resolve and the expectation is they will do it, and from accounts they are taking this very seriously and making a genuine effort to ensure customers issues are addressed.

Even 100 year old companies like VW have issues with DSG gearbox failure, Toyota was recently in the news for safety concerns with their accelerator pedal design. You can read a thread on this forum itself about the sort of things Mercedes has been upto.

Criticism is completely valid but to paint a picture of doom and gloom and any other vehicle is better is completely misplaced.

Last edited by raul : 20th August 2012 at 04:21.
raul is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 07:33   #3135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just curious, why?

Because even I am in the process of booking the XUV.

Why 5 owners? Because I knew only 5 XUV owners from Mumbai.

We did consider the Aria and Force One, but found that the XUV is the most value for money. Fortuner and Captiva are way more expensive.

Small niggles like wheel alignment and Infotainment error dont bother me. Look at the bright side... I am getting a luxurious and spacious vehicle with the features of a D segment sedan at half the price. I am not too finicky about plastics as well. As long as they dont fall apart, I have no reasons to complain.

Of course, I wont deny that if I had 27 Lacs, I would have bought the Fortuner...

Last edited by raj_5004 : 20th August 2012 at 07:39.
raj_5004 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed