Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2012, 11:46   #3136
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

How do you guys deal with the Torque steer on the XUV FWD?

Sometimes I feel like I am losing all the traction altogether on slippery surfaces!
Old 21st August 2012, 13:23   #3137
BHPian

I booked on 18th June. Booked with India Garage. Still no communication from them. When I called them today I was told that I should be getting a call in a week or week and a half's time. In that call India Garage will tell me the date of delivery. Anyone else who booked around that time in Bangalore here? Are you getting the same message?
Old 21st August 2012, 13:43   #3138
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevester View Post

Sometimes I feel like I am losing all the traction altogether on slippery surfaces!
Can you elaborate what speed you were driving and your experience with the torque steer? What exactly happened?

I have read about torque-steer in the official review, but not sure I understand how it feels.
Old 21st August 2012, 13:51   #3139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Can you elaborate what speed you were driving and your experience with the torque steer? What exactly happened?

I have read about torque-steer in the official review, but not sure I understand how it feels.
On a straight road, accelerate at a medium level (from stand-still) and you will notice that the car gets a little quirky and starts to move around i.e. you will manually need to correct its direction.

P.S. - also noticeable in mall parkings/rainy season when accelerating on smooth roads.
reevester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 16:20   #3140
BHPian

Quote:

Torque steer is a phenomenon typically felt on FWD cars, where the acceleration causes the car to veer to the left or right. It is a little rare on diesels due to the typical slow accelaration.. i guess XUV is pretty nimble and powerful to be affected by this

Please check this out for more details

What the heck is torque steer? (ABCs of Car Tech) | The Car Tech blog - CNET Reviews

Sorry, if this is a bit noobish, and you are already aware of the basics.

Experts are free to correct my understanding

Last edited by DoneAndDusted : 21st August 2012 at 16:23. Reason: grammar
DoneAndDusted is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 18:31   #3141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevester View Post

Yes there is torque steer in XUV. I have experienced it few times, but the most scary one was when i was coming back from Jaisalmer trip. I was following a truck in front of me for some time as that was a single lane highway and i was not able to over take. Then suddenly i see a gap and i begin to over take that truck. I was around 10-15 kmph at that time when i turned my steering to right and stepped on gas little harshly as the gap was not that much. An boy, for a moment i felt as if i lost the control of the steering. It started to steer to left and i had to manually correct it to come to a straight line. That was scary cause if i would not have corrected it, then i would have been under the truck that i was overtaking.
This have happened few more times, but now i know how it feels so i am used it now and can control it well. This generally happens when you accelerate little aggressively from a slow speed.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 18:34   #3142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
This generally happens when you accelerate little aggressively from a slow speed.
Yep, I kinda like that hard acceleration feeling so I come across this more frequently!

Wish the XUV was RWD now!!

Additionally, I sometimes feel the grip on the XUV isn't good enough on really smooth or wet roads. Anybody else feel the same? Am on stock W8 tyres.
Old 21st August 2012, 22:19   #3143
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I booked a white XUV5OO W8 today. I was thinking of Reverse Camera, Foot steps and Door visors as accessories. Any suggestions? Please dont suggest those chrome fittings, I hate that.

I will buy floor mats from outside, probably 3D Kagu.
Old 21st August 2012, 23:33   #3144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Guys, I booked a white XUV5OO W8 today. I was thinking of Reverse Camera, Foot steps and Door visors as accessories. Any suggestions? Please dont suggest those chrome fittings, I hate that.

Think twice bout the side steps as it kills the ground clearance of XUV (atleast thats what i have seen so its my personal opinion). XUV doesnt really requires steps as its very convenient to get in and out as every Mono SUV's are. Save that money and invest on other things i.e. ICE
nitinralli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 07:44   #3145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Think twice bout the side steps as it kills the ground clearance of XUV (atleast thats what i have seen so its my personal opinion). XUV doesnt really requires steps as its very convenient to get in and out as every Mono SUV's are. Save that money and invest on other things i.e. ICE
Thanks, I dint think about that. I just thought it looks good, so basically it was for aesthetics and not for it's actual purpose!

I wont be fitting ICE on this one as -

1) This is our family car and not my personal car (My brother listens to FM!)
2) I dont want any rattles or electronic issues later on...

So I will freeze on the door visors and reverse camera for now.
Old 22nd August 2012, 08:35   #3146
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Wow congrats Raj! Whats the colour and waiting period?

About the side step, I don't have one, but my mom finds it difficult to get in in spite of it being lower than my scorpio. If you dont have older folk getting into the vehicle, you don't need it, but otherwise yes. Also, my son steps on the illuminated scuff plates or the painted portion of the door every time he gets in. The foot steps will help here also I think. But yes, a little mild offroading and the foot steps will scrape. Its a subjective decision.
Old 22nd August 2012, 08:54   #3147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Congrats Raj. A nice addition to the garage. Another of my friend is getting obsessed with it having Linea in hand and thinking of switching over.

Reverse Camera is a good thing for this beast as per my experience about reverse visibility on XUV and more so for anybody not used to this sort of vehicle. I have seen them fitted in aftermarket also so if better quality available outside, take those.

Footsteps from M&M are costly but damn solid. You can go for them only if required for children or elderly because the getting into XUV could be quite a task for them especially since it is supposed to be a family car. The GC of XUV is pretty good and the FS should have very little effect on the GC given being a family ride and hopefully no off-roading (I suppose anyway XUV is not meant for off-roading in extreme hilly terrains).

3D Kagu mats seem to be good as per SDP and others. By any chance, don't at all go for M&M XUV mats, they do not fit well especially in the driver footwell, inconveniently overlapping the dead pedal making it useless and causing inconvenience to clutch pedal as well.

I think it looks good as it is without sunvisors unless you see their need and want them for sure.
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:12   #3148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
About the side step, I don't have one, but my mom finds it difficult to get in in spite of it being lower than my scorpio. If you dont have older folk getting into the vehicle, you don't need it, but otherwise yes. Also, my son steps on the illuminated scuff plates or the painted portion of the door every time he gets in. The foot steps will help here also I think. But yes, a little mild offroading and the foot steps will scrape. Its a subjective decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Footsteps from M&M are costly but damn solid. You can go for them only if required for children or elderly because the getting into XUV could be quite a task for them especially since it is supposed to be a family car. The GC of XUV is pretty good and the FS should have very little effect on the GC given being a family ride and hopefully no off-roading (I suppose anyway XUV is not meant for off-roading in extreme hilly terrains).
Well, we wont be doing any sort of off roading in the FWD XUV. But I dont want the footsteps to scrape over huge speed breakers and potholes.

Will that happen?
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:42   #3149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, we wont be doing any sort of off roading in the FWD XUV. But I dont want the footsteps to scrape over huge speed breakers and potholes.

Will that happen?
I think that should not happen. The reason being Innova has much lower GC than XUV and I have footsteps for my Innova and have not observed such behavior till date atleast, my front guards do scrape sometimes though for very high speed breakers.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 13:10   #3150
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneAndDusted View Post
Torque steer is a phenomenon typically felt on FWD cars, where the acceleration causes the car to veer to the left or right. It is a little rare on diesels due to the typical slow accelaration.. i guess XUV is pretty nimble and powerful to be affected by this

Please check this out for more details

What the heck is torque steer? (ABCs of Car Tech) | The Car Tech blog - CNET Reviews

Sorry, if this is a bit noobish, and you are already aware of the basics.

Experts are free to correct my understanding
Quote:
Yes there is torque steer in XUV. I have experienced it few times, but the most scary one was when i was coming back from Jaisalmer trip. I was following a truck in front of me for some time as that was a single lane highway and i was not able to over take. Then suddenly i see a gap and i begin to over take that truck. I was around 10-15 kmph at that time when i turned my steering to right and stepped on gas little harshly as the gap was not that much. An boy, for a moment i felt as if i lost the control of the steering. It started to steer to left and i had to manually correct it to come to a straight line. That was scary cause if i would not have corrected it, then i would have been under the truck that i was overtaking.
This have happened few more times, but now i know how it feels so i am used it now and can control it well. This generally happens when you accelerate little aggressively from a slow speed.
Came across this article while doing research on Torque Steer and how to deal with it. It explains good driving techniques when dealing with FWD/RWD/AWD Drive vehicles.

You can read the article here: How To Adjust Your Driving For Rear-Wheel, Front-Wheel, And All-Wheel-Drive Cars

Safe driving!
reevester is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks