Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2012, 15:30   #3406
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Hey guys!

Anyone here from Mumbai know a good car accessory shop in and around Lokhandwala, Andheri where I could get my hands on Bosch/Hella wipers for the XUV?

Didn't find any dealers selling them online and don't trust the payment system on vicky.in (which was the only online guy having them)!

Phone numbers would be appreciated too.

Thanks!
Old 28th September 2012, 16:55   #3407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevester View Post
Hey guys!

Anyone here from Mumbai know a good car accessory shop in and around Lokhandwala, Andheri where I could get my hands on Bosch/Hella wipers for the XUV?

Didn't find any dealers selling them online and don't trust the payment system on vicky.in (which was the only online guy having them)!

Phone numbers would be appreciated too.

Thanks!
Try buying it from any Windshield expert store, They have Bosch with them

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Sameer
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2012, 18:59   #3408
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Anybody tried the mileage indicator in the infotainment system? I have a doubt that it doesn't go below 9 and above 18 kmpl. Anybody observed any numbers outside this range?

Was driving in really awful bumper-to-bumper traffic yesterday. I had just reset the average mileage 10 minutes back when starting from work. The mileage started with some 10.3kmpl and then gradually dropped to 9. After this point traffic just got worse and the car was stand-still (with engine running) for 2-3 minutes quite a few times and crawling a inch at a time for rest of the time. But the mileage indicator did not dropped below 9kmpl.

Is this a "feel-good" feature from Mahindras?
Old 29th September 2012, 19:02   #3409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
The XUV was launched less than a year ago and it is too early for M&M to launch a new or refurbished model. So the 'mistake' you made regarding your Scorpio is not likely to be repeated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneAndDusted View Post
I agree with debuda. I guess a refreshed model is highly unlikely, so early in the XUV 500's life. It is possible that M&M will fix a few niggles and maybe improve the quality of some parts, but then a complete refresh would be a big surprise!
btw: I was on the same path as you. Waited for the duster but was not convinced to go for it after the launch..
Thanks debuda & DoneAndDusted, I spoke to some people at M&M and even they have assured me that there is no upgrade planned as of now for atleast next one year.

I took out some time this week to get an up and close personal look at the XUV5OO W8.

My views on the vehicle:

Has a presence of a SUV but drives like a sedan. I could almost wonder if I was really driving a Mahindra. The drive feel is a sea difference to almost the truck like feel that you get while driving a Scorpio (and I personally love that ) my views on the vehicle:

1. The butter smooth engine, I wonder what have they done to the mHawk which makes it perform so different to the mHawk in Scorpio (except the power).
2. Smooth gear shifts almost like a Japanese / Korean car.
3. Oodles of leg room on all seats
4. Excellent AC cooling on all rows.
5. Good brakes, tried a zoom and sudden braking, short stopping distance and the ABS kicked in promptly.
5. Suspension absorbed almost all the pot holes except one real large one in which I deliberately put the car in after telling the Executive that I was going to do that.
6. No engine noise in the cabin.
7. Completely fold down 2nd & 3rd rows.
8. Well appointed and adjustable drivers seat.

Dislikes:

1. The steering cloumn hitting the left foot while applying the clutch. I could feel the circular movement on my shoe. (it may be due to my habit of using the Scorpio clutch which is at a higher position).
2. Horribly looking & placed hand brake. Extremely hard and poorly finished.
3. The door handles both on the inside and outside are not too my liking and appear flimsy.
4. The interior material quality could have been better.

I am almost sold on the vehicle and would probably book in the next few days. The delivery has been promised within 15 days of booking.

The rates Ex Navi mumbai are as below:

Cost : 13,11,202.00
Insurance : 50,584.00
Total : 15,19,780.00

Mahindra First Choice is offering 5.75 Lacs for the old Scorpio (Sep 2008, Run 25000 odd Kms) I may be able to squeeze another 25-30 K once I book the car.

Bajaj Allianze, my current insurer has offered me insurance for 35,500.00 which I would ask the dealer to match else I would go on my own.

I was thinking of going for a company lease but the registration charges
are very high (Rs. 2,65,840.00) which is over a lakh of difference if I compare it to the personal purchase so I would rather go on my own.

Quote:
I find many comments like this on this thread, i.e., comparing the XUV with the Duster before taking the buy decision. Personally, I feel the XUV is in a different league vis-a-vis Duster. The specs speak for themselves.What I'm trying to get at is that apples should be compared with apples.
debuda, while what you say makes sense to a petrol head but what we laymen are comparing are 2 soft roading SUV's.

We all were waiting for a vehicle with a better road presence and what we got was a estate with a high GC and large tyres, disappointing in some ways since we were planning to upgrade to a European vehicle since the Japanase in the similar class are way too expensive so we again go back to M&M who have no competition till date in this category.

Last edited by m_upreti : 29th September 2012 at 19:04.
m_upreti is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2012, 21:37   #3410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
I am almost sold on the vehicle and would probably book in the next few days. The delivery has been promised within 15 days of booking.

The butter smooth engine, I wonder what have they done to the mHawk which makes it perform so different to the mHawk in Scorpio (except the power).

Bajaj Allianze, my current insurer has offered me insurance for 35,500.00 which I would ask the dealer to match else I would go on my own.
  1. First of all, thanks for a good review and heartiest congratulations on your booking (well, almost!) the W8.
  2. The 15-day delivery -- is it because of your contacts or has the delivery time come down for everybody? Here in Jamshedpur, having booked my W6 on 20.08.12, I've been given a tentative wait period of 60 days. About 40 days have gone by, but dealer is still not giving me indication of any firm date of delivery. I'm getting impatient. I'm really excited about the XUV and even when I sleep I dream that I'm driving my new XUV! If a 61 year old fogey like me with 45 years of driving experience can get so excited with the XUV, it better be good!
  3. I couldn't fully understand your comparison of XUV engine with Scorpio where you stated "except the power". Do you mean that XUV engine is more smooth and refined but feels less powerful?
  4. I hope you are familiar with no-claim bonus and transfer NCB on your previous car's insurance to your new car. Incidentally, I enjoy 65% (highest) NCB.
Old 29th September 2012, 22:08   #3411
Distinguished - BHPian

Had tweeted to Anand Mahindra & Pawan Goenka a suggestion on bringing a no-frill W4 XUV500 @ 9.9L to counter Duster. Surprisingly Pawan Goenka who is not a regular on twitter responded this
Quote:
timing is not right. Most sales are W8 neways. Very few takers even for W6. Doubt can do W4 at 9.9 L.
So there is NO W4 variant for XUV 500 coming in!

I feel so happy that he took some time to respond to (probably) a silly suggestion, with such details!

Last edited by moralfibre : 30th September 2012 at 12:54. Reason: As per request.
swiftnfurious is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th September 2012, 10:05   #3412
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Had tweeted to Anand Mahindra & Pawan Goenka a suggestion on bringing a no-frill W4 XUV500 @ 9.9L to counter Duster. Surprisingly Pawan Goenka who is not a regular on twitter responded this

So there is NO W4 variant for XUV 500 coming in!

I feel so happy that he took some time to respond, (probably) a silly suggestion with such details!
Thanks for this update. I actually know a few people who are waiting for this variant. The user manual also has a W4, so I thought it might roll out soon, but this news speaks of more delay!! Maybe we can expect it in 2013?!
NIP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2012, 10:19   #3413
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
The user manual also has a W4, s
Is it? What changes it has? (of whatever is mentioned)

There will be cross shopping between Xylo Scorpio & this if launched & M&M will be laughing all the way to the bank. Buttt, it might dilute the XUV 5OO brand.

An interesting preposition indeed. It will gun for the Eco-Sport as well.
Old 30th September 2012, 11:18   #3414
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Is it? What changes it has? (of whatever is mentioned) ...
Yes the manual shows the ICE 'Infotainment' features and controls for a very basic setup as well, with a single DIN-like display.
Old 30th September 2012, 11:18   #3415
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Rather than introducing more variants, I wish Mahindras introduce a "Vehicle Configurator" where people can choose which features they want and which they don't (and pay accordingly).

Last edited by SDP : 30th September 2012 at 11:19.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2012, 12:40   #3416
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
...The user manual also has a W4, so I thought it might roll out soon, but this news speaks of more delay!! Maybe we can expect it in 2013?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
...An interesting preposition indeed. It will gun for the Eco-Sport as well.
Hope they come up with this later, once the demand starts tapering off. Probably not at a sub 10L price, but at a fair price. Would love to see it happening as customers get a wider choice in the bracket and also will make sure manufacturers don't charge a premium owing to competition!
Old 30th September 2012, 15:10   #3417
Senior - BHPian

Hi my comments in bold inline below:

Quote:
  1. First of all, thanks for a good review and heartiest congratulations on your booking (well, almost!) the W8.
Thanks for that, actually I had written a longer and detailed review but the net gave way and I realised after I pressed the submit button.

2. The 15-day delivery -- is it because of your contacts or has the delivery time come down for everybody? Here in Jamshedpur, having booked my W6 on 20.08.12, I've been given a tentative wait period of 60 days. About 40 days have gone by, but dealer is still not giving me indication of any firm date of delivery. I'm getting impatient. I'm really excited about the XUV and even when I sleep I dream that I'm driving my new XUV! If a 61 year old fogey like me with 45 years of driving experience can get so excited with the XUV, it better be good!

It seems Mumbai is better off in deliveries probably on account of the home state of the manufacturing plant (Nasik). Secondly I am a old customer of the dealership and have been instrumental in referring a few of my friends also.

And and far as your experience goes, I hope the vehicle proves itself worthy of you.

3. I couldn't fully understand your comparison of XUV engine with Scorpio where you stated "except the power". Do you mean that XUV engine is more smooth and refined but feels less powerful?

What I mean is that though the engine is eqully powerful, it is much more smoother and less noisier than the 120 BHP engine in the Scorpio.
I did not get a chance to test the full capabilities on account of my lack of time though the sales executive wanted me to take a longer drive.

4. I hope you are familiar with no-claim bonus and transfer NCB on your previous car's insurance to your new car. Incidentally, I enjoy 65% (highest) NCB.

Thanks for reminding, I had heard about NCB transfer, but it slipped my mind.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2012, 15:57   #3418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Thanks debuda & DoneAndDusted, I spoke to some people at M&M and even they have assured me that there is no upgrade planned as of now for atleast next one year.

I took out some time this week to get an up and close personal look at the XUV5OO W8.

My views on the vehicle:

I am assuming you are taking the plunge, so Congratulations! Great review and thanks for sharing your impressions. Most of my views of the vehicle match your review .
On the INsurance, I got a quote of about 56K from the dealer in Hyderabad, while one of my existing insurance dealers is providing me a quote of about 38K for a 100% policy from Bharti Axa. Looking at the details of the quote, I saw a special discount of about 40%. Does anyone know what this special discount might be? Is it like a promotion from the INsurance company or do I need to be wary of something.
Finally, the most important question - How do we ensure that the non dealer insurance is seamless? i.e. will the insurance agent from outside be able to come to the dealershipt and provide a cover note which will cover insurance from the moment we drive out of the dealership? Any risks involved here?

Quote:
  1. I hope you are familiar with no-claim bonus and transfer NCB on your previous car's insurance to your new car. Incidentally, I enjoy 65% (highest) NCB.
Thanks debuda. I saw a thread on this in Team bhp, however, how exactly does this work? do we just hand over the NCB certificate from the previous insurer to the insurance agent and everything is taken care of during the issuance of the policy?
Also, i have a particular situation, we are taking delivery of the XUV on my wife's name. We had sold her previous car and have taken a NCB certificate from the previous insurer. However, the previous car was in her maiden name, whereas this will be in her post marriage name. Will the insurance companies accept this if we show a valid marriage certificate with the name change?
Would anyone have any thoughts?
Old 30th September 2012, 16:48   #3419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneAndDusted

Finally, the most important question - How do we ensure that the non dealer insurance is seamless? i.e. will the insurance agent from outside be able to come to the dealershipt and provide a cover note which will cover insurance from the moment we drive out of the dealership? Any risks involved here?
Do call up policybazaar.com for a quote on your car insurance. I have been doing mine (renewal) for last 3 years through them.
You pay online and within minutes you get a soft copy of insurance on your mail. Take a printout and here you go. Hard copy will reach you in few days by courier.

They also do a new car insurance wherein you will be required to provide Engine & Chasis no. In a new car insurance they take about one hour or more for issuing the insurance.

I had done my part of research while buying my XUV in Aug. However dealer matched the quote and I took the insurance from dealer.

Any more discussions on this matter, you may like to continue on Insurance thread.
liferocks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2012, 17:30   #3420
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....I hope you are familiar with no-claim bonus and transfer NCB on your previous car's insurance to your new car. Incidentally, I enjoy 65% (highest) NCB.
I thought 50% is the maximum NCB one can get, that too from the 5th year onwards, provided there was no claims thru out the 5 years of ownership. How did you manage a 65% ?

Most Viewed