Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2012, 21:36   #3481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari

I only suggested that ESP was not the only part that could fault, so just forsaking it to go for W6 wont fix the inherent problems in the car.

I have seen many ownership reviews on t-bhp. and everyone of them complains of one or the other problems.
Have you come across any case when ESP has failed?
Most ownership reviews (irrespective of what car brand it is) complain of one thing or another about their car, that doesn't mean all cars are defective?
w.r.t. XUV the first ownership thread was that of mannubhai. I haven't seen him complain about any of the electronics failure. Same is the case with subsequent ownership threads of f@lcon, Pankaj_Ahlawat, kedarwalke and others.
So when you make a bold statement about "a billion things can go wrong" you should better substantiate that claim with facts and actual figures. An owner like me get confused if he is actually driving a same model that's been just bashed by someone at tbhp of full of faults. (Mine is the first batch Aug 2011 mfg.)
rohitbagai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2012, 22:47   #3482
BANNED

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
Have you come across any case when ESP has failed?
Most ownership reviews (irrespective of what car brand it is) complain of one thing or another about their car, that doesn't mean all cars are defective?
w.r.t. XUV the first ownership thread was that of mannubhai. I haven't seen him complain about any of the electronics failure. Same is the case with subsequent ownership threads of f@lcon, Pankaj_Ahlawat, kedarwalke and others.
So when you make a bold statement about "a billion things can go wrong" you should better substantiate that claim with facts and actual figures. An owner like me get confused if he is actually driving a same model that's been just bashed by someone at tbhp of full of faults. (Mine is the first batch Aug 2011 mfg.)
The Long Niggles thread is one testament to the "more than usual" faults.
Old 7th October 2012, 22:58   #3483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Hey, I'm not defending Mahindra.. But not all entries in the niggles thread are niggles. We discuss about accessories, road conditions, service centers and everything else under the sun. Suggest you take some time and go through the whole 60 something pages and filter out the noise.

At the end of the day, most of us XUV owners are proud of our cheetahs.
tachobells is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2012, 23:00   #3484
BHPian

Quote:

Agam, that's not only niggles thread, it's a niggle and solutions thread. XUV is a fairly advanced vehicle and most of the posts you will find will be clearing some doubts or other for new owners.
It should be looked as a most discussed niggle and solutions thread but not as a product that has most niggles.
rohitbagai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2012, 23:20   #3485
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai

Agam, that's not only niggles thread, it's a niggle and solutions thread. XUV is a fairly advanced vehicle and most of the posts you will find will be clearing some doubts or other for new owners.
It should be looked as a most discussed niggle and solutions thread but not as a product that has most niggles.
Agreed, that there are solutions as well. But you wouldn't need the solutions in the first place had the vehicle been better.
Now to answer the previous questions.
I wasn't the one who got alarmed over ESP, it was the member debuda.i only meant that if he
was so alarmed over ESP, then there would be plenty more in the car that could do the same. Afterall ''xuv is a very advanced vehicle''

Most of the t-bhp ownership reviews other than the xuv, complain about the negative points of their vehicle. which they knew before buying it, but in xuv threads, owners tell about what's wrong with their particular piece.

And if the niggles thread is for new buyers, then i think you should change it's name.
Old 8th October 2012, 00:33   #3486
BHPian

Quote:
I wasn't the one who got alarmed over ESP, it was the member debuda.i only meant that if he
was so alarmed over ESP, then there would be plenty more in the car that could do the same.
Debuda have specific reason, will address it below, while you generalised it by stressing that XUV can develop a billion faults (which is a speculation).
As for Debuda's apprehensions, I do not want to influence his decision, but would like to address him by saying that ESP surely kicks in when needed. I have even testified it before in this or the niggles thread. Also it's not a one time process (if we look at the other way round), it's a continuous process where the data is continuously monitored by the system and if there is a fault there, we would have seen ESP kicking in even in situations that does not warrant it . But because no one has ever reported it, it's integrity is not questionable.
As far as my ownership and others are concerned there are/were two problems in the car. Break grinding sound and clutch failure. Last heard they have rectified it.
rohitbagai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 07:31   #3487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
I wasn't the one who got alarmed over ESP, it was the member debuda. i only meant that if he was so alarmed over ESP, then there would be plenty more in the car that could do the same. After all ''xuv is a very advanced vehicle''

And if the niggles thread is for new buyers, then i think you should change it's name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
As for Debuda's apprehensions, I do not want to influence his decision, but would like to address him by saying that ESP surely kicks in when needed.
Friends, kindly allow me to clarify my earlier post wherein I stated that I decided against W8 because I was paranoid about unreliable M&M electronics causing ESP malfunction resulting in car 'instability' and 'rollover enhancement'. I stated it as a tongue-in-cheek remark and that is why I inserted after it.

Having said that, I must add that my lack of confidence in M&M electronics in general was quite real. This was fuelled by the huge niggles thread on TBHP as well as reports of iffy XUV electronics in many other auto forums. The first XUV I ever drove was a W6 owned by a nephew in Bombay. When I asked him why he chose the W6 (being a VLCC Captain in the merchant navy, the price difference with W8 was not an issue for him), he replied that he had heard too much negative feedback about unreliable electronics in XUV as well as top end Scorpios and went for W6 as it had less electronics.

Even the most ardent fans of XUV cannot wish away the fact that XUV's have had far more niggles (and catastrophic failures) in both electronics and mechanical departments as compared to any other modern Indian car. Yes, it is heartening to know that most of these problems have now been resolved. I am glad that I'm buying my own XUV a year after its launch. This was a conscious decision as was the choice of W6.

The anticipation of niggles and unexpected failures that I might encounter in my new XUV has not fully gone away from my mind. But that paranoia is far far less now, thanks to the positive feedback being received from XUV owners.

Let me conclude by saying that it will take at least a couple of more years before car buyers start associating XUV with rock-solid reliability. The future of M&M pretty much depends on it.
debuda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 11:03   #3488
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Going by the posts in the last 2-3 pages of this thread, I have come to the conclusion that there is not much point in me getting into these debates about the XUV5OO's issues for the following reasons:

1. I don't work for M&M and its not my job to project a good image about the XUV5OO or M&M in general.

2. Since I am a XUV owner, a certain amount of confirmation-bias can not be ruled out.

3. Since I am not a M&M-insider, neither do I know any M&M-insider, my views are based on purely my experience with my own vehicle and from reading experiences of other owners. Is this enough data for making generalized comments about the reliability of XUV5OO? Possibly not.

For people who are considering buying the XUV5OO, I would suggest go through the official review, the niggles & solutions thread, the few ownership threads and draw your own inferences and conclusions. Base your buying decision on your own inferences, analysis and judgement.

As far as I am concerned, I am going to do what fellow XUV-owner and TBHPian Sathya_sc is doing i.e. spend most of my time in enjoying the XUV with my near&dear ones and spend just the adequate amount of time to update the ownership thread with my experience.

So, all the best to whosoever is considering or not considering the XUV5OO. Go ahead and buy whichever vehicle that you fancy - be it the XUV5OO or the Duster or the Fortuner or the Tata Storme.

Whichever vehicle you buy, please do start a ownership thread to share your experiences.

Last edited by SDP : 8th October 2012 at 11:27.
SDP is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 11:44   #3489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
Friends, kindly allow me to clarify my earlier post wherein I stated that I decided against W8 because I was paranoid about unreliable M&M electronics causing ESP malfunction resulting in car 'instability' and 'rollover enhancement'. I stated it as a tongue-in-cheek remark and that is why I inserted after it.

Having said that, I must add that my lack of confidence in M&M electronics in general was quite real. This was fuelled by the huge niggles thread on TBHP as well as reports of iffy XUV electronics in many other auto forums. The first XUV I ever drove was a W6 owned by a nephew in Bombay. When I asked him why he chose the W6 (being a VLCC Captain in the merchant navy, the price difference with W8 was not an issue for him), he replied that he had heard too much negative feedback about unreliable electronics in XUV as well as top end Scorpios and went for W6 as it had less electronics.
. This was a conscious decision as was the choice of W6.

The anticipation of niggles and unexpected failures that I might encounter in my new XUV has not fully gone away from my mind. But that paranoia is far far less now, thanks to the positive feedback being received from XUV owners.

Let me conclude by saying that it will take at least a couple of more years before car buyers start associating XUV with rock-solid reliability. The future of M&M pretty much depends on it.
Good points Debuda. I agree that since M&M is banking heavily on XUV for its international ambitions, they better ensure all issues/niggles/customer apprehensions are handled. This is the only way they will have their name associated with reliability. In some ways, I am reminded of how Hyundai was perceived in the US when they first launched about 14/15 years ago. They were considered a cheap brand that was associated with Cars that had a bunch of niggles. Within a few years, they were in the top 5 manufacturers, when it comes to customer satisfaction and lowest number of problems per car. Look where Hyundai is today! I hope M&M has a similar vision and focus on QC and customer satisfaction to ensure they are admired for their vehicles.

I don't want to start a debate on this topic, but debuda, please read the experiences of fellow bhpian - RohitBagai on ESP - the feature kicked in when required and pretty much saved his life. If you are going to be making long trips at high speeds, it would really make sense to opt for the W8. Finally the decision is up to you..
DoneAndDusted is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 12:17   #3490
BHPian

I also drive a XUV W6 variant and the vehicle is good after having driven it for 12000kms in 3 months. The way I drive is - fairly pushing the vehicle to its limits in all aspects (For instance straight out of the showroom, the vehicle saw a double ton in the speedo, the vehicle went over a humongous speed breaker in Chennai-BLR route via Kollegal at higher triple digit speeds, literally the vehicle was airborne before it landed on the ground.. to mention a few). Eventhough the vehicle has been put to test it has proved to be a good companion with no major issues or complaints. Everytime, I take it to the highway, it has been wonderful experience. Atleast I can't ask for more. Only yesterday I came back from a 1500km trip and I have already started to plan for the next (only because the vehicle has built that confidence within me over the last 3 months).

I am just wondering whether the niggles thread is for XUV or some other vehicle since not even 5% of the problems have appeared in my vehicle.

However, its hard to change the perception and we need not as well. Whatever appears to be a good vehicle and close to heart, we must buy it and have fun (be it XUV/Fortuner/Safari or even the RIO). Afterall its one life, go with the heart. If you feel XUV is filled with a billion faults, don't buy because the 'law of nature' will ensure you go through the billion faults in your vehicle. The only request is don't generalize them in forums since the vehicle as such is good without any major problems. Being a owner and based on my exp., I can say the vehicle is as good like any other SUV in the market.
Sathya_sc is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 13:12   #3491
BHPian

Some doubts.

1. Is the engine oil(Mahindra Maximile) used is synthetic? Bcos the SA told me so. My vehicle has clocked 1500Kms, so planning to change the oil. RM says changing oil is necessary only at first service i.e; 3 months or 5000 kms.

2. I'm really confused with the HHC & HDC functions. Can anybody elaborate it

3. I have noticed that, while parking on a gradient with parking brake ON & in gear, the vehicle makes some noise (may be grinding).

Last edited by Vasuki : 8th October 2012 at 13:14.
Old 8th October 2012, 14:38   #3492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Some doubts.

1. Is the engine oil(Mahindra Maximile) used is synthetic? Bcos the SA told me so. My vehicle has clocked 1500Kms, so planning to change the oil. RM says changing oil is necessary only at first service i.e; 3 months or 5000 kms.

2. I'm really confused with the HHC & HDC functions. Can anybody elaborate it

3. I have noticed that, while parking on a gradient with parking brake ON & in gear, the vehicle makes some noise (may be grinding).
1. No, it's semi-synthetic. M&M recommends changing the oil at 5000kms and then at 20000kms. If you feel there's reason to change the oil at 1500kms, then go ahead. I feel it's better to stick to the stock oil atleast for the first few oil changes.

2. If you're stationary on a slope, pointed upwards, then when you release the brake, the car starts rolling backwards. the Hill-Hold function prevents this from happening holding the car stationary for a few secs giving you time to switch your foot from the brake to accelerator and start moving forwards. Hill-Hold is always on, in the sense you cannot switch it on or off. This will not work if your gear is not engaged or your clutch is not fully pressed.
I don't know if the same works even when you're pointed downwards- need to check that out, hmm.
Hill-Descent-Control is something that you can switch on/off from the switch bank at the bottom of the central console. This when engaged, will get into action if the speed exceeds the rated speed for the particular gear you're in. It will control the speed by operating the brakes [& ABS if needed].
You can modify the speed you wish to go at by using the + & - buttons of the cruise control or by going to a higher gear.

3. The grinding noise you hear with the parking brake is the infamous brake pad noise. get the brake pads changed, a new design pad is already out. and the noise will reduce.
kaiserketkar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 14:46   #3493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
I also drive a XUV W6 variant and the vehicle is good after having driven it for 12000kms in 3 months. The way I drive is - fairly pushing the vehicle to its limits in all aspects (For instance straight out of the showroom, the vehicle saw a double ton in the speedo, the vehicle went over a humongous speed breaker in Chennai-BLR route via Kollegal at higher triple digit speeds, literally the vehicle was airborne before it landed on the ground.. to mention a few). Eventhough the vehicle has been put to test it has proved to be a good companion with no major issues or complaints. Everytime, I take it to the highway, it has been wonderful experience.

Being a owner and based on my exp., I can say the vehicle is as good like any other SUV in the market.
Way to go Sathya! Such excellent feedback from someone who is routinely pushing his XUV to its limit is very encouraging indeed. Now I have no apprehensions about taking delivery of my W6 which has reportedly been dispatched from the factory. It should arrive here in Jamshedpur by 18 Oct and I'm eagerly waiting for it.

Being a 61 year old fogey well past his prime, I'm not likely to push my XUV the way you do. But I definitely intend taking my XUV to 180 kmph or so once in a blue moon and driving at 50-60 kmph over potholed roads and speed breakers. I don't employ a driver and I'm buying the XUV primarily for my personal driving thrill.
debuda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 15:12   #3494
Team-BHP Support

If the ESP can fail, so can the air-bag and its sensor and or the ABS from activating itself in a panic braking situation & a host of others.

And it can happen with any vehicle of any make. I personally would spend the maximum I could and buy the vehicle with most safety kits. It is an investment. A wise one at that.

Now before the monsoon gets over, please post few pictures of the XUV's in green lush environment. The Dirty Picture types

Last edited by Sheel : 8th October 2012 at 15:15.
Old 8th October 2012, 15:15   #3495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserketkar View Post
1. No, it's semi-synthetic. M&M recommends changing the oil at 5000kms and then at 20000kms. If you feel there's reason to change the oil at 1500kms, then go ahead. I feel it's better to stick to the stock oil atleast for the first few oil changes.

3. The grinding noise you hear with the parking brake is the infamous brake pad noise. get the brake pads changed, a new design pad is already out. and the noise will reduce.

Thanks. I would definitely go for the engine oil as prescribed by Mahindra (MAXMILE CROWN). My query is as per, Team BHP Running in's, it would be better to change oil after 1000 kms, so.

But I thought brake grinding noise occurred only during braking when the vehicle is in motion. I have never felt the same or any such issues while driving, this occurred while parking in a steep gradient. Mine is a August 2012 manufactured vehicle. Is it imply that brake grinding issue still persists. I would request fellow owners to check their vehicle in such position.

Most Viewed