Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2013, 06:51   #3886
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3danikesh View Post
I upgraded my regular bulbs to HID on day 1, as far as I know upgrading the bulbs and speaker does not void warranty.
If you are going for the upgrade I would suggest you to go for 4300K and 55W HID for Main Beam(projectors), Main and high beam bulbs are H7 type, Avoid installing HID to High Beam as its reflector type and it might cause trouble to other road users.
3danikesh, thanks for the details. A few more questions?
1. What brand are the new bulbs?
2. How much did they cost?
3. Did you got them installed at the XUV service center?

4. Since you got them replaced on day-1, you would most likely not have a frame of reference. But have you compared your low beam with any other XUV, may be a friend's? How much is the difference?

Last question:
5. How about starting a ownership thread?

PS: Congratulations for the XUV5OO! Have fun.
Old 13th January 2013, 18:08   #3887
BHPian

Quote:
I upgraded my regular bulbs to HID on day 1, as far as I know upgrading the bulbs and speaker does not void warranty.
If you are going for the upgrade I would suggest you to go for 4300K and 55W HID for Main Beam(projectors), Main and high beam bulbs are H7 type, Avoid installing HID to High Beam as its reflector type and it might cause trouble to other road users.
Are you certain about the warranty ? I am hearing conflicted opinions on this bit. Did you get it done at the A.S.S ?
Old 13th January 2013, 19:23   #3888
BHPian

Quote:
Can you please let us know the results of HID conversion? Which kit did you use? Can you post some pictures with only HIDs on at night?

thanks
HCP
Old 14th January 2013, 01:13   #3889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
3danikesh, thanks for the details. A few more questions?
1. What brand are the new bulbs?
2. How much did they cost?
3. Did you got them installed at the XUV service center?

4. Since you got them replaced on day-1, you would most likely not have a frame of reference. But have you compared your low beam with any other XUV, may be a friend's? How much is the difference?

Last question:
5. How about starting a ownership thread?

PS: Congratulations for the XUV5OO! Have fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Can you please let us know the results of HID conversion? Which kit did you use? Can you post some pictures with only HIDs on at night?
thanks
HCP

Thanks SDP,
I got it installed from Popular (Accessory Shop at Malad West, Mumbai) Brand is called P8, I am not very sure about the reliability of this brand but so far its working fine. 55W version will cost you 11K and 35W should be around 7.5K-8K.

The performance of HID is definitely visible, light is more evenly distributed. I’ll try to post some comparison pictures within a day or two.

I have only clocked 4900KM so far… I’ll start my ownership thread once its 8000+km but first I have to start i20 and Ford EDGE ownership thread as I have already clocked 10K km in both

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xryder View Post
Are you certain about the warranty ? I am hearing conflicted opinions on this bit. Did you get it done at the A.S.S ?
My service adviser told me that as long as I don’t modify any wiring or any portion of my headlights, my warranty will not void but I’ll confirm the same again.
3danikesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 10:47   #3890
BHPian

A query. How do you feel about the handling of XUV beyond speed of 100.

A friend who owns swift said, it is really scary & hair raising beyond 100. I feel he is just exaggerating.

I have not felt such experience in last 7000 kms of driving XUV.

So just want to ask all XUV owners about their opinion of handling beyond 100.

Whether :: Steering light / Very light / hair raising/ very scary etc?

Any other opinions truly welcome. Thanks

Last edited by Vasuki : 14th January 2013 at 10:49.
Old 14th January 2013, 11:16   #3891
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post

A friend who owns swift said, it is really scary & hair raising beyond 100. I feel he is just exaggerating.

I have driven at 100-110 for extended time. Have also driven at 120-140 for brief spells. I have found no concerns with the steering. It weighs in nicely with speed, manages to pass on enough feedback and does not give any scary feeling like "floating on air".
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 12:24   #3892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki

I have done sustained speeds above the 'chimes' provided in the XUV (speed cannot be mentioned according to the forum rules) felt very confident, if you have the road wide enough and traffic thin.
anandtheleo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 12:39   #3893
BHPian

Quote:
A query......

Quote:
I have driven at 100-110 for extended time. Have also driven at 120-140 for brief spells. I have found no concerns with the steering. It weighs in nicely with speed, manages to pass on enough feedback and does not give any scary feeling like "floating on air".
I concur. I have driven extensively on Highways and the vehicle felt stable at 120+ KMPH.
reevester is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 13:59   #3894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevester View Post

I concur. I have driven extensively on Highways and the vehicle felt stable at 120+ KMPH.
I second that, during the 22,000 kms spent with my beast, have done 120 regularly on the Gurgaon Expressway and have touched 140 a few times on the Chandigarh road. The vehicle felt rock steady and sometimes me and the Co passengers found it hard to believe that the vehicle was actually at 120+
Joyb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 18:11   #3895
BHPian

I beg to disagree with your friend.

The ride is stable and feedback is very much in tune with the drive. Have pushed upto 120 without any such issues. And for that matter, any ride over a prescribed speed tends to behave differently. At extremely high speeds (180 etc) depending on the weather, road conditions etc. the dynamics of the ride changes.

I guess it all depends on the way the ride is handled. You dont let the ride handle you.

Quote:

Last edited by Xryder : 14th January 2013 at 18:15.
Xryder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 20:38   #3896
BHPian

Quote:
Hair raising is not always bad

Done 120+ in winding hilly roads of western ghats and never felt a bit of nervousness. I never tried the same speed in my optra magnum due to sedate steering. The only thing I miss is a fast brake. I would say the stiff suspension is not offering the best of ride quality, but handling is best in its class.

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 14th January 2013 at 20:53.
HotChillyPepper is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2013, 00:11   #3897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Never ask a hatch or a sedan owner about a SUV's handling. They are used to the low seating and planted feel of the cars and cant get to terms with the SUVs immediately. If compared to a Punto, the XUV's handling is pathetic. Even Swift is a great handler.

But compare the XUV to the likes of Scorpio, Safari and even Aria... XUV turns out to be a very very decent handler. And I honestly do not expect the handling of an SUV/Crossover to be better than this.
raj_5004 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2013, 09:37   #3898
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
I have done sustained speeds above the 'chimes' provided in the XUV (speed cannot be mentioned according to the forum rules) felt very confident, if you have the road wide enough and traffic thin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reevester View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyb View Post
I second that, during the 22,000 kms spent with my beast, have done 120 regularly on the Gurgaon Expressway and have touched 140 a few times on the Chandigarh road. The vehicle felt rock steady and sometimes me and the Co passengers found it hard to believe that the vehicle was actually at 120+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xryder View Post
I beg to disagree with your friend.

The ride is stable and feedback is very much in tune with the drive. Have pushed upto 120 without any such issues. And for that matter, any ride over a prescribed speed tends to behave differently. At extremely high speeds (180 etc) depending on the weather, road conditions etc. the dynamics of the ride changes.

I guess it all depends on the way the ride is handled. You dont let the ride handle you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Hair raising is not always bad

Done 120+ in winding hilly roads of western ghats and never felt a bit of nervousness. I never tried the same speed in my optra magnum due to sedate steering. The only thing I miss is a fast brake. I would say the stiff suspension is not offering the best of ride quality, but handling is best in its class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Never ask a hatch or a sedan owner about a SUV's handling. They are used to the low seating and planted feel of the cars and cant get to terms with the SUVs immediately. If compared to a Punto, the XUV's handling is pathetic. Even Swift is a great handler.

But compare the XUV to the likes of Scorpio, Safari and even Aria... XUV turns out to be a very very decent handler. And I honestly do not expect the handling of an SUV/Crossover to be better than this.
Thanks for your prompt comments. Yes XUV cannot be compared with hatchback or sedans, say no SUV's & MUV's can be compared, wrt to handling.

But, I was really astounded by my friend's comment about handling at 100+ speeds. I have done 140+ speeds, not advisable in our roads, and have found no issues till now. So just wanted to ensure that is it just me or do all owners/users feel the same.

Also @ HotChillyPepper :: Your comment is icing on top, to say it is not at all nervous doing 120+ in hilly roads.

Also to reiterate, no vehicle is fully safe/fool proof above 100+ in our roads.

Last edited by Vasuki : 15th January 2013 at 09:39.
Old 15th January 2013, 12:05   #3899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your prompt comments. Yes XUV cannot be compared with hatchback or sedans, say no SUV's & MUV's can be compared, wrt to handling.
Many times, more then the actual handling, the feeling of sitting high itself can be slightly uncomfortable at high speeds. Even a slight tilt/swaying gets magnified as the ride height increases.
Guna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2013, 17:49   #3900
BHPian

Quote:
This is my observation. Stability at high speeds on a straight road is really good. But if you have to negotiate a decent corner at 80+ then the XUV is pethatic (in comparison to my other car, Fiat Palio) bur never scary. What i mean is when you are at over 80 and going to the corner this baby wont hold its line but you also know that she wont just lose control.

Just got back from a trip to Bandipur yesteday (ODO 1000 KMS). The only pain point is at speeds above 140 the steering shakes violently. I am sure this is some issue with the balencing and I am booking a visit to the A*S*S this weekend. but overall I have a great deal of confidence in the vehicle

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks