Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2013, 20:21   #3946
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

I have driven 13000kms on my W8 XUV since I bought it in June and I am facing a lot of problem with the infotainment system.
  • Almost every second day, since the past 5 weeks, while I am driving the infotainment screen shuts off and turns back on and starts running the same way. This just happens once in a day while driving.
  • Peak North Indian winters early morning the touch screen would not work. It would be frozen, no matter where I pressed on the screen it would not work and as the day progresses and the day gets warmer the screen would start working, as in I am again able to press and select on the screen.
  • Past few days of driving through the rain, rear camera screen would shift or the picture would split into two halves (top half at the bottom and bottom half at the top)

I was wondering if someone else is facing the same problems? I already got the infotainment software upgrade.

And to answer the query of stability on speeds beyond 100. I regularly drive at a speed of 120-140 kms and it is very stable and grounded with no body roll.
As far as brakes being soft are concerned. During my 10,000 kms service the brakes were replaced free of charge and they work much better then the last ones. They still don't feel very precise and don't give me confidence while driving but they have always worked well in all weather & road conditions stopped the vehicle safely.

Last edited by dragstar : 21st January 2013 at 20:28.
dragstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2013, 22:03   #3947
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Never ask a hatch or a sedan owner about a SUV's handling. They are used to the low seating and planted feel of the cars and cant get to terms with the SUVs immediately. If compared to a Punto, the XUV's handling is pathetic. Even Swift is a great handler.

But compare the XUV to the likes of Scorpio, Safari and even Aria... XUV turns out to be a very very decent handler. And I honestly do not expect the handling of an SUV/Crossover to be better than this.
Handling with respect to a sedan, well yes, an SUV is no match. The weight, height and shifting CG all account for the "floating" feeling. This is where the suspension does its best to maintain an even keel.

I have gone through most of the "enthusiastic" answers from folks to Vasuki's vanilla question on handling symptoms like steering shake, plantedness, etc. 120+ on ghat sections, 140+ on other highways, 120+ regularly on the Gurgaon expressway have to be taken with a pinch of salt, I guess these are momentary instances that are quoted. No doubt the XUV is a powerful machine and can keep 120+ speeds or higher. That is besides the point - how this feat is accomplished was the question.

I disagree strongly with raj - the ARIA rides like no other SUV in this class does. Comparing the XUV to the scorpio or the Xylo or the Sumo or safari is understood, all exhibit the "boat on rough seas" property, and to an extent, the XUV as well. The ARIA rides taut, planted and stable, yet, as said previously, in-comparable to the sedan class. Take a long drive in it, and then comment is my suggestion, do not follow the herd here.
lifebuoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2013, 22:26   #3948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post

I disagree strongly with raj - the ARIA rides like no other SUV in this class does. Comparing the XUV to the scorpio or the Xylo or the Sumo or safari is understood, all exhibit the "boat on rough seas" property, and to an extent, the XUV as well. The ARIA rides taut, planted and stable, yet, as said previously, in-comparable to the sedan class. Take a long drive in it, and then comment is my suggestion, do not follow the herd here.
Discussion is about handling, not ride.
Tata SUVs -Safari and Aria are known for ride, but not handling.

While Aria is planted on straight roads, what happens when you turn that steering a little?

I've not driven Aria, can't comment on it. XUV is stable, but definitely understeers.
Old 23rd January 2013, 11:39   #3949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
Actually I showed my car to my friends who own other cars. Feedback was it is very soft comparing to scorpio and fortuner. Fortuner has drums on rear.
Even I experienced this during my TD with XUV on a rough patch when I braked hard to avoid a pot hole in a rough patch, comparably my Scorpio with ABS handles it much better on the same road (same goes for the Fortuner, Duster & Land Rover on the same patch)
Old 23rd January 2013, 16:16   #3950
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Even I experienced this during my TD with XUV on a rough patch when I braked hard to avoid a pot hole in a rough patch, comparably my Scorpio with ABS handles it much better on the same road (same goes for the Fortuner, Duster & Land Rover on the same patch)
You mean, the vehicle did not reduce speed/stop?
Old 23rd January 2013, 17:02   #3951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
You mean, the vehicle did not reduce speed/stop?
This is a huge crater on the road close to my place, and known to me as we do a lot of driving around there, the aim was to come speeding to a distance close to it and then brake and enter the crater without the jerks in which the XUV failed and jumped in it, the A.S.S. guy gave me a killing look as he was not aware what I was attempting, later I showed him the same in the Fortuner owned by my friend which reacted as we wanted.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 15:37   #3952
Distinguished - BHPian

The Mahindra XUV500 races to 50,000 units in just 16 months of its launch, making it the ‘fastest fifty’ for any Indian SUV.

Yes, the Duster is almost definitely shattering that record, and by some margin this year, but for now, its the XUV500 all the way

Last edited by volkman10 : 24th January 2013 at 15:38.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2013, 11:18   #3953
BHPian

Was surfing the net and just happened to spot this. It looks beautiful in its true colours.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130126_111602.png
Views: 3220
Size:  239.1 KB
Old 26th January 2013, 11:33   #3954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by liferocks View Post
Was surfing the net and just happened to spot this. It looks beautiful in its true colours.
This car is in display at the Mumbai International Motor Show. Looks different...
Old 26th January 2013, 16:31   #3955
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Attachment 1042460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
This car is in display at the Mumbai International Motor Show. Looks different...
The bonnet is done nicely. The rest is a bit overdone.

The service center now stocks cheetah graphics.. vinyl stickers. They are not bad.
Old 28th January 2013, 16:20   #3956
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1042460
It made me think of the cheetah painted bikes used by the traffic police in bangalore. Infact when I saw on today morning, the first thing that came to my mind was the image of this XUV...

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 20:00   #3957
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells View Post
Discussion is about handling, not ride.
Tata SUVs -Safari and Aria are known for ride, but not handling.

While Aria is planted on straight roads, what happens when you turn that steering a little?

I've not driven Aria, can't comment on it. XUV is stable, but definitely understeers.
Well, for any vehicle of that size and weight, steering at high speeds is bound to upset its balance - how much depends on how much you turn at what speeds - this holds good for the fortuner too.

Check out the manufacturer's videos of the ARIA and the XUV !
Old 28th January 2013, 22:37   #3958
BHPian

Finally after 9 months of deliberations, preparations and resource consolidation, the day has finally come for me to book and own the beast.

Have few clarifications:

a. I have read about Insurance in this thread a lot, but what I do not see is, what is covered under the comprehensive Insurance
b. Whichever company I take the Insurance from, let us say it is working out to be lesser than quoted by the dealership, would my current vehicle NCB apply on top of it?
c. I have heard that the vehicles manufactured post Feb 2013 are going to have latest and upgraded components [breaks etc]. If I buy now, would I be making some compromise on those? In essence, I want to know if I should wait for March and book or can I go ahead with it now? Want to have the car on the birthday of my son - Feb 10. If it is not going to matter, I will go with what is available now. Else, I prefer to wait
Old 28th January 2013, 23:22   #3959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
From what I read on IAB or so, there is some update happening on XUV & hitting the market by Feb 2013 or so. I believe "brakes" are one thing they have focussed for this release as well (from the report). In that case, whatever current set up they have given is NOT the best I guess.

Any news on an updated version coming. Feb is right here. I too am hoping that a small updated version is launched in feb or march.
Old 29th January 2013, 01:41   #3960
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaraja View Post
...Have few clarifications:

a. I have read about Insurance in this thread a lot, but what I do not see is, what is covered under the comprehensive Insurance
b. Whichever company I take the Insurance from, let us say it is working out to be lesser than quoted by the dealership, would my current vehicle NCB apply on top of it?
c. I have heard that the vehicles manufactured post Feb 2013 are going to have latest and upgraded components [breaks etc]. If I buy now, would I be making some compromise on those? In essence, I want to know if I should wait for March and book or can I go ahead with it now? Want to have the car on the birthday of my son - Feb 10. If it is not going to matter, I will go with what is available now. Else, I prefer to wait
a. Everything is covered under warranty. The difference will be on the extent of coverage. Metal will be covered 100% while plastic, fiber, lights etc are covered ONLY 50% in comprehensive insurance. If you have the moolah, I suggest you go for a bumper to bumper cover which will cover everything 100%. Will save you substantial amount in case of a crash or damage to your vehicle.

b. Yes

c. Your personal choice. In my opinion, one should wait. Though we don't really have a concrete time of updated launch or info on "what" updates, it's always nice to wait - especially as there is some hint on brakes update. If you ask me, this is the single most point of dissatisfaction about XUV.

There are lot of owners who vouch for the brakes efficiency, but I am NOT convinced with the TD vehicle. When I pay 15L, I expect the brakes to work to my satisfaction rather than adjusting myself to the brakes. Well, personal opinion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Any news on an updated version coming. Feb is right here. I too am hoping that a small updated version is launched in feb or march.
I have NOT read anything on the further developments. Was disconnected from the auto world for a couple of days (in case some news came up during this time). Will definitely post if I come across any news!
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed