Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2013, 09:42   #4381
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Good to note that the young one is already in love with the to be new ride!

Upreti, I am sure you are armed to the teeth this time to ensure you have a thorough PDI and close eye on the XUV, you select from the yard.

Eagerly waiting for your ownership thread and wishing you good luck with the new ride

M&M - One repeat customer is a great deal in today's world!
Thanks getsurya, I will definitely do this much more detailed this time round. However there seems to be a slight spanner in the works (nothing more than a delay I guess) in terms of the Ecosport which my wife wants to see first hand before I put down the money. She wants a SUV with the spare on the tail gate (she was more interested for the Quonto at the showroom.
Old 21st May 2013, 15:42   #4382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Thanks getsurya, I will definitely do this much more detailed this time round. However there seems to be a slight spanner in the works (nothing more than a delay I guess) in terms of the Ecosport which my wife wants to see first hand before I put down the money. She wants a SUV with the spare on the tail gate (she was more interested for the Quonto at the showroom.
I also always dreamt of an SUV with the spare on the tail gate. Infact when XUV was launched and I wished owning it some day, I had planned to make some modification to the tailgate to fix the tyre. Even checked with the sales person at the time if it could be done.

But after buying the car, I never did it on accounts of warranty. Also after having to swap tires with the spare due to punctures couple of times, I felt the current setup is better. Thought of the effort required to lift and lower the spare tyre from the tailgate with no mechanism . BTW is there a mechanism to remove and fix the spare tyre off the tailgate easily, like with the lower mounted option.

And end of the day, it would be us men who would be required to do this task at the time of puncture..
Old 21st May 2013, 16:05   #4383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
I also always dreamt of an SUV with the spare on the tail gate. Infact when XUV was launched and I wished owning it some day, I had planned to make some modification to the tailgate to fix the tyre. Even checked with the sales person at the time if it could be done.

But after buying the car, I never did it on accounts of warranty. Also after having to swap tires with the spare due to punctures couple of times, I felt the current setup is better. Thought of the effort required to lift and lower the spare tyre from the tailgate with no mechanism . BTW is there a mechanism to remove and fix the spare tyre off the tailgate easily, like with the lower mounted option.

And end of the day, it would be us men who would be required to do this task at the time of puncture..
There is no mecanizm to remove the tyre, but the rugged value the tail mounted spare adds to a SUV is something to drool about.

I learnt to drive on a Jeep, though I never had a chance to own one, but had a good run on the Sarkari Jeep's allotted to my father and a few Punjab mods owned by friends. No doubt it is an effort to raise and lower the tire at the time of change, but unless you are really unlucky the chances of puncture are few and far in between (between my WagonR & Scorpio I have had 3 punctures in the last 9.5 years)

Last edited by m_upreti : 21st May 2013 at 16:06.
Old 23rd May 2013, 13:08   #4384
BHPian

Quote:

Tyres mounted on Tail-gate does act character, I had seen it even on a Swift, and it looked really tasteful, almost giving it a softroader stance.

it would definitely complement XUV, also because it already has that moon arch on its tail gate. But, your concerns are right. I have had a misfortune of changing tyres on Endy twice on a trip in the hills, and it really took an effort to mount and dismount the spare wheel!
AGwagon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2013, 21:44   #4385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
Tyres mounted on Tail-gate does act character, I had seen it even on a Swift, and it looked really tasteful, almost giving it a softroader stance.

it would definitely complement XUV, also because it already has that moon arch on its tail gate. But, your concerns are right. I have had a misfortune of changing tyres on Endy twice on a trip in the hills, and it really took an effort to mount and dismount the spare wheel!
One option is to have a dummy spare cover (like in old Honda CRV or pajero ) fitted on the tail gate while the actual spare is still under the car. That way changing tyres would still be easy. But then opening the tail-gate would pose a problem, since the button is just above the number plate and there is also the wiper. Both would interfere with the spare cover.
Also since the tail-gate of the XUV opens by lifting using hydraulic mechanism, a heavy spare tyre might damage the hydraulic arms. My alto had heavy speakers fitted on the tail-gate and never could hold itself while lifting and one had to take care opening the boot as the tail-gate would fall on the head. . Finally had to remove the speakers.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 10:11   #4386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One option is to have a dummy spare cover (like in old Honda CRV or pajero ) fitted on the tail gate while the actual spare is still under the car.
This looks a pretty good idea, except for the fact you will have to drill holes in the door which may lead to rusting, specially in the humid areas like Mumbai & likes.
Old 24th May 2013, 10:56   #4387
BHPian

Quote:
One option is to have a dummy spare cover (like in old Honda CRV or pajero ) fitted on the tail gate while the actual spare is still under the car. That way changing tyres would still be easy. But then opening the tail-gate would pose a problem, since the button is just above the number plate and there is also the wiper. Both would interfere with the spare cover.
Also since the tail-gate of the XUV opens by lifting using hydraulic mechanism, a heavy spare tyre might damage the hydraulic arms. My alto had heavy speakers fitted on the tail-gate and never could hold itself while lifting and one had to take care opening the boot as the tail-gate would fall on the head. . Finally had to remove the speakers.

FundaG
FundaG, although it is a clever idea, which takes care of the heavy lifting, but I never liked the spare covers, especially when the rubber is on a tasty looking alloy wheel. I quite like the solution that comes on the Cayenne Turbo/S.
Old 24th May 2013, 11:58   #4388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
FundaG, although it is a clever idea, which takes care of the heavy lifting, but I never liked the spare covers, especially when the rubber is on a tasty looking alloy wheel. I quite like the solution that comes on the Cayenne Turbo/S.

Options bro.. Options.. that is all I provided for a complicated problem..

BTW by bringing Cayenne into discussion, were you referring to its alloys or the spare tire fitting. Cos I could not find any image in google of Cayenne with spare tyre on the tail gate.

FundaG
Old 24th May 2013, 15:44   #4389
BHPian

has any one installed front guards for the XUV? Browsed on the web and found this link- http://www.ctrack.in/portfolio/xuv-500/
Old 24th May 2013, 18:33   #4390
Distinguished - BHPian

Booked a white w8 for my sisters family. Ready delivery available for all variants except AWD. Some discounts offered on insurance and free accessories included.

Initial plan was to buy dark grey color but my sister did not like black interiors.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 09:33   #4391
BHPian

Got a mileage of 16.5 - 17 yesterday while driving on the Outer Ring Road from Marathalli till HSR layout, Bangalore ( on board reading- time was 4pm). Traffic was not heavy and I was between 60-70 on fifth gear. Normally I get a mileage between 11.9 -12.2 in home to office run ( HSR Layout to Whitefield
aajohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 10:30   #4392
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to buy XUV5OO W8 by July 2013. Till Now I am very much leaned towards AWD.
But having a dilemma between 2WD and AWD.
what are the merits and demerits between the both 2WD and AWD?

1. FE - Definitley AWD consumes more than 2WD as it weights more.
what will be differnce in FE?
2. Price - On Road @ Chennai - 2WD - 1661204 : AWD - 1793883
difference of 1.32 Lakhs, will it be worthy?
3. Driving/Riding - Heard that AWD has edge on it as it shares torque
on demand to all wheels which holds the road more than 2WD
and minimize Torque,Over,Under Steer and more Off road capabilities.

I have already in touch with Zuleikha Motors, Chennai with one of the Known Sales Guy Sheik Mohammad. Till last month, There's no offers in place. Any further info will be much appreciated.

Hoping to be the owner of XUV 5OO soon
aks_karthik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 12:38   #4393
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post
has any one installed front guards for the XUV? Browsed on the web and found this link- http://www.ctrack.in/portfolio/xuv-500/
There are lots of options. Do check out offerings from Ajanta and Classique as well. Just a few days back, I had posted pics of a new option from Ajanta.. one with integrated DRLs. Do check out that as well.

PS: Hope you are aware that although the front-guard can save you from scratches and minor hits, it can play foul and the air-bags might not get activated in case of a unfortunate collision.

Last edited by SDP : 28th May 2013 at 12:39.
Old 28th May 2013, 16:59   #4394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
I am planning to buy XUV5OO W8 by July 2013. Till Now I am very much leaned towards AWD.
But having a dilemma between 2WD and AWD.
what are the merits and demerits between the both 2WD and AWD?
Hoping to be the owner of XUV 5OO soon
Leave the technical merits or demerits for a while, my personal opinion is unless there is need to off road quite often, it is better to go for FWD.

I got my car through Shiek. A very nice guy. All the best.
krishnaraja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 17:28   #4395
BHPian

Wrote to Customer Care regarding MMI updates. Just heard that FREE upgrade to Version 8 will soon be provided to all.
Await announcement from M&M, hopefully soon.
Heavy Horse is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks