Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2013, 19:32   #4561
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

I dont see the reason to introduce w4/3/2/1 etc. MM have Scorpio to deal with that segment and they should focus more on introducing new Scorpio asap. As it is RM's are over burdened with current load, with W4, they would just run away. XUV became famous due to all those gizmos at a decent price hence removing them would make it just another car.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 22:03   #4562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
I dont see the reason to introduce w4/3/2/1 etc. MM have Scorpio to deal with that segment and they should focus more on introducing new Scorpio asap. As it is RM's are over burdened with current load, with W4, they would just run away. XUV became famous due to all those gizmos at a decent price hence removing them would make it just another car.
I agree with nitin. The strongest pull for the xuv were features you'd find in a d+ segment car were thrown into the xuv at a decent price. I think Mahindra went overboard with adding capacity after seeing the initial euphoria, and forgot that in the long run the 1500 unit a month was where they originally planned to sell at.

It's the newness of a product that draws the customers in and after that wears off, the product stabilizes at a certain level. Even the Alto has to keep reinventing, albeit at a slower pace as it also has the badge value of a Maruti behind it. Look at the swift or the Dzire. If Maruti stopped evolving even those numbers would plunge.

This is the function of a new product and is unavoidable. Mahindra has worked hard and tried to reinvent itself with the xuv and it has worked. They need to keep evolving just like everybody else.

Once it sorts out its problem of initial niggles and customers trust it at a level similar to Maruti the volumes will grow.

That said, the last two chop jobs by Mahindra are definitely not helping them. It's like a carpenter hired to fix shelves at the office was called in and asked to modify the xylo and the verito. They need to take a similar approach to what they did with the xuv and evolve.

This is just my ₹0.02. Don't flame me.
djpeesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 09:26   #4563
BHPian

Quote:
Exactly what I meant by exclusivity. Even BMW, Audi or Merc are no more exclusive cars on the Indian roads. But they still retail a premium image. XUV was also launched as a premium vehicle which was VFM at the same time in comparison to similar offering from its competitors. Mahindra should maintain this tag for XUV. Though there are a good number of XUV's on the road, I still feel its a head turner as well as a conversation starter (both for its features and niggles).

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 09:54   #4564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Hmmm, ok i take my words back. I do not see scorpio taxis in this side of India.

Bangalore has qualis/innova/xylo/tavera and even TT as they can stuff more people may be.

So does this mean M&M is in a soup ? how to sell more XUV ?
It varies region to region, up North in the hills and rural areas there are Boleros & various Jeep variants.

M&M have to now come out of the celebratory mood since XUV no longer signifies exclusivity and there are many more (read cheaper) options available in the market. I recall the initial euphoria that surrounded the VW Vento and the long queues, see today where they are with a huge inventory surrounding the plant in Pune and raining offers and discounts.
Old 11th July 2013, 18:05   #4565

Mahindra XUV500: Have the complaints been addressed?

I am planning to book a new XUV500 W6. But reading lots of forums, it seems there were lots of issues with the build quality of the vehicle including the clutch, breaking, plastic on the dashboard.

When I spoke to Mahindra sales rep, they claim that all these issues have been addressed as of October 2012 and they even recalled few vehicles to fix these issues. I would like to get some latest reviews and feedback about the vehicle and decide whether it is a good choice to go for XUV500.

Can the claims made by the sales rep be trusted?

thanks!
Old 11th July 2013, 18:18   #4566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Cheaper options can also end up as taxis and go the same way as the Innova. Being a XUV W8 owner, it sure is going to bruise my ego after putting so much money on this model. Though a W4 might bring more business to Mahindra, I feel they should not go that way considering how it could affect the overall XUV brand.

FundaG
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
I agree with nitin. The strongest pull for the xuv were features you'd find in a d+ segment car were thrown into the xuv at a decent price. I think Mahindra went overboard with adding capacity after seeing the initial euphoria, and forgot that in the long run the 1500 unit a month was where they originally planned to sell at.
Well said djpeesh. I totally agree with what you've said.

I'm not personally in favor of M&M launching a W4 XUV. I think this move is shortsighted and will hurt the XUV brand in the long term.
Bringing out lower variants of the XUV will do to it what the M2DI and the Ex did to the Scorpio brand. Now besides being the politician, builder's car, it's also got the ill reputation of being a taxicab.

Having said that, considering that the W6 costs about 12lacs ex-sh, a W4 should cost about 11lacs, which is the original launch price of the W6. So I guess, they're still in the same price bracket.
Old 11th July 2013, 18:21   #4567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It's the newness of a product that draws the customers in and after that wears off, the product stabilizes at a certain level. Even the Alto has to keep reinventing, albeit at a slower pace as it also has the badge value of a Maruti behind it. Look at the swift or the Dzire. If Maruti stopped evolving even those numbers would plunge.

This is the function of a new product and is unavoidable. Mahindra has worked hard and tried to reinvent itself with the xuv and it has worked. They need to keep evolving just like everybody else.

Once it sorts out its problem of initial niggles and customers trust it at a level similar to Maruti the volumes will grow.

That said, the last two chop jobs by Mahindra are definitely not helping them. It's like a carpenter hired to fix shelves at the office was called in and asked to modify the xylo and the verito. They need to take a similar approach to what they did with the xuv and evolve.

This is just my ₹0.02. Don't flame me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Exactly what I meant by exclusivity. Even BMW, Audi or Merc are no more exclusive cars on the Indian roads. But they still retail a premium image. XUV was also launched as a premium vehicle which was VFM at the same time in comparison to similar offering from its competitors. Mahindra should maintain this tag for XUV. Though there are a good number of XUV's on the road, I still feel its a head turner as well as a conversation starter (both for its features and niggles).

FundaG
Absolutely. I mean why go down to w4, why not think aggressively and come out with W9 instead with features like Auto gearbox, Sunroof, LED tail lights, proper DRL's, front headlight washers, heated sideview mirrors. WHY NOT. Why always think of "Thoti baat", think BIG M&M (if you guys reading it)
Old 11th July 2013, 18:42   #4568
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500: Have the complaints been addressed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shavian View Post
I am planning to book a new XUV500 W6. But reading lots of forums, it seems there were lots of issues with the build quality of the vehicle including the clutch, breaking, plastic on the dashboard.

When I spoke to Mahindra sales rep, they claim that all these issues have been addressed as of October 2012 and they even recalled few vehicles to fix these issues. I would like to get some latest reviews and feedback about the vehicle and decide whether it is a good choice to go for XUV500.

Can the claims made by the sales rep be trusted?

thanks!
Sales rep is true to some extent. There was a recall but for things not mentioned above. Having said that, not all issues have been resolved. Infact new ones have come up these days i.e. Silver box failure. Brake bite issue have been resolved with new brake pedals. Plastic are same cheap ones so nothing new was added in new models.

Please test drive not once but few times with different dealers before finalizing.

Last edited by nitinralli : 11th July 2013 at 18:43.
Old 11th July 2013, 20:48   #4569
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserketkar View Post

Well said djpeesh. I totally agree with what you've said.

I'm not personally in favor of M&M launching a W4 XUV. I think this move is shortsighted and will hurt the XUV brand in the long term.
Bringing out lower variants of the XUV will do to it what the M2DI and the Ex did to the Scorpio brand. Now besides being the politician, builder's car, it's also got the ill reputation of being a taxicab.

Having said that, considering that the W6 costs about 12lacs ex-sh, a W4 should cost about 11lacs, which is the original launch price of the W6. So I guess, they're still in the same price bracket.
Why "taxicab" is a taboo in India ? Mercedes is known taxicab
Old 11th July 2013, 21:50   #4570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkingsley View Post

Why "taxicab" is a taboo in India ? Mercedes is known taxicab
I don't want to take this thread off topic but the reason why taxicabs are taboo in India is status. You and I don't want to be driving around in something people hail off the street.

In India, unfortunately, taxis have the image of being down-market cars not suitable for middle class consumption. It's another story that the taxi owner choosing a particular car is testament to its robustness, given that taxis drive tens of thousands of kilometers a year. In India, a taxi is associated with cheap.

That will change as the market develops but for the moment it's a no go and manufacturers usually only allow taxis to be used if they think there's no hope for a model in the general market. Chevrolet killed private ownership of the Tavera after it became the qualis replacement.

Maybe it's a throw back to the fiat ambassador days, when a Maruti 800 was a family car while the older, outdated premier padmini stayed a taxicab.

What do the other members think?
djpeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 11:40   #4571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely. I mean why go down to w4, why not think aggressively and come out with W9 instead with features like Auto gearbox, Sunroof, LED tail lights, proper DRL's, front headlight washers, heated sideview mirrors. WHY NOT. Why always think of "Thoti baat", think BIG M&M (if you guys reading it)
I am not sure M&M will go for a W9, they already have the Rexton to fill that space.
Old 12th July 2013, 11:56   #4572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post

I am not sure M&M will go for a W9, they already have the Rexton to fill that space.
True. And not to forget upcoming korando
Old 12th July 2013, 13:13   #4573
BHPian

Quote:
I don't want to take this thread off topic but the reason why taxicabs are taboo in India is status. You and I don't want to be driving around in something people hail off the street.

In India, unfortunately, taxis have the image of being down-market cars not suitable for middle class consumption. It's another story that the taxi owner choosing a particular car is testament to its robustness, given that taxis drive tens of thousands of kilometers a year. In India, a taxi is associated with cheap.

That will change as the market develops but for the moment it's a no go and manufacturers usually only allow taxis to be used if they think there's no hope for a model in the general market. Chevrolet killed private ownership of the Tavera after it became the qualis replacement.

Maybe it's a throw back to the fiat ambassador days, when a Maruti 800 was a family car while the older, outdated premier padmini stayed a taxicab.

What do the other members think?

Believe we are going OT since this is nothing to actually do with XUV as such. But still putting my thoughts on this.

Status ofcourse is there. But I feel it goes beyond that. Consider the state of the service centre folks and kind of interaction that could be expected. The service engineers would be dealing with taxi drivers on a day to day basis and an owner could also get a same level of treatment. After putting down your hard earned on any car, am sure this would not be something any owner would be looking to face. And that I believe is also a reason people stay away from models that are too much into taxis.

So does Innova, Swift dzire, indica etc have separate service centres for their taxi cabs. Does the owners face any issues due to the taxi crowd at the service centres.

FundaG
Old 12th July 2013, 14:37   #4574
BHPian

Source FB

XUV500 W8 and W8AWD owners now can upgrade to version 8.0 of their MapmyIndia map in their infotainment system, with more than 10 million POIs and 50 cities with House Nos, for free! Contact your relationship manager at Mahindra dealership today or call us on 1800 266 7000 (toll free). T&C apply.
Tushargohil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 15:22   #4575
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushargohil View Post
Source FB

XUV500 W8 and W8AWD owners now can upgrade to version 8.0 of their MapmyIndia map in their infotainment system, with more than 10 million POIs and 50 cities with House Nos, for free! Contact your relationship manager at Mahindra dealership today or call us on 1800 266 7000 (toll free). T&C apply.
Wow! This is news. Just a few days back I was talking to my RM after returning back from my recent annual long drive. I was telling him on how the MMI needs to improve for many parts of India, that they need to upgrade their current maps badly. The RM chipped in that there is indeed an upgrade available but I will need to buy that since MMI does not come with any free upgrade offer for this car. Looks like things have changed!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks