Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2013, 15:41   #4576
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

I have an 'dhentadan' moment this morning:

I used to think that the variable setting ring on the wiper stalk was for the intermittent wiper, but as it turned out, it worked great for the automatic wiper as well to reduce/ increase it's sensitivity/ speed. I was driving in a light drizzle and the wiper on automatic setting was not swiping quickly enough. almost mechanically, I turned the ring to 'fast' and the wiper started moving more frequently. I tried it changing the setting a few times, and the wiper responded accordingly. Wonder if I'm imagining things of it does rreally work that way. Didn't remember having read this in the manual.

My wish is that even the auto headlamps had such a setting. I have noticed that when i'm driving home around 630-7 pm, when it's just about beginning to get dark, the headlamps keep going on and off. you drive under a tree, headlamps on- come out into the open, off.
I think that must take it's toll on something inside, not to mention the nuisance value.
wish there was a setting to reduce the sensitivity of the headlamps to low for those driving in that time period and light.
kaiserketkar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 16:51   #4577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserketkar View Post
I have an 'dhentadan' moment this morning:

I used to think that the variable setting ring on the wiper stalk was for the intermittent wiper, but as it turned out, it worked great for the automatic wiper as well to reduce/ increase it's sensitivity/ speed. I was driving in a light drizzle and the wiper on automatic setting was not swiping quickly enough. almost mechanically, I turned the ring to 'fast' and the wiper started moving more frequently. I tried it changing the setting a few times, and the wiper responded accordingly. Wonder if I'm imagining things of it does rreally work that way. Didn't remember having read this in the manual.

My wish is that even the auto headlamps had such a setting. I have noticed that when i'm driving home around 630-7 pm, when it's just about beginning to get dark, the headlamps keep going on and off. you drive under a tree, headlamps on- come out into the open, off.
I think that must take it's toll on something inside, not to mention the nuisance value.
wish there was a setting to reduce the sensitivity of the headlamps to low for those driving in that time period and light.
You are not imagining . That is the autowiper sensitivity setting. And if I remember it was there in the manual since I was also facing issues with autowiper initially and set it to the highest sensitivity after reading the manual.

Something similar for lights would also have been great. Infact, my biggest regret is I cant ride around with just my LED lights ON and still have the stalk in autolight mode. During evening its either LED lights or autolights and I usually go with autolights considering the speed at which it darkens nowadays.

FundaG
Old 12th July 2013, 17:29   #4578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Something similar for lights would also have been great. Infact, my biggest regret is I cant ride around with just my LED lights ON and still have the stalk in autolight mode. During evening its either LED lights or autolights and I usually go with autolights considering the speed at which it darkens nowadays.

FundaG
Bazinga!
This wish of yours was also something I craved since the time I bought my car! And I expressed my wish to the good folk at Sahyadri, Wakad.
This is what I specifically told them I wished: the LEDs should be on all the time like DRLs, but not the tail lights- irrespective of which position the switch is in.
They pondered over my request, studied the wiring diagrams and came out with a solution! From what little I understood, they connected a wire from the ignition directly to the input for the LED parking lights [somewhere under the steering wheel], and viola! I've got DRLs on my car [albeit a little dim ;-) ]
kaiserketkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 18:36   #4579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserketkar View Post

Bazinga!
This wish of yours was also something I craved since the time I bought my car! And I expressed my wish to the good folk at Sahyadri, Wakad.
This is what I specifically told them I wished: the LEDs should be on all the time like DRLs, but not the tail lights- irrespective of which position the switch is in.
They pondered over my request, studied the wiring diagrams and came out with a solution! From what little I understood, they connected a wire from the ignition directly to the input for the LED parking lights [somewhere under the steering wheel], and viola! I've got DRLs on my car [albeit a little dim ;-) ]
Hey that's cool. Few doubts however
- will the parking lights be ON even when the engine is not running but the battery is ON
- wont cranking the engine with the LED lights ON not cause it to fuse. My RM advised to keep the lights in OFF before cranking the engine, after I lost a pair of low beam bulbs. Used to keep in autolight mode and crank while the lights were ON.
-how about warranty. Understand the full light unit will be replaced if LED conks off. But with this modification in wiring, will they still give the warranty.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 19:57   #4580
Senior - BHPian

Another one:

Dear Purple Club Member,
When an event has already captured the imagination of adventure seekers
in the country, you know you can’t miss its next edition. And Purple Club is
giving you the opportunity to be a part of Mahindra Adventure’s Monastery
Escape. The 10-day expedition promises excitement and adventure as
you maneuver the snaky roads from Delhi to Srinagar via Leh.
Don’t miss out! Register today for the Monastery Escape.
Limited Seats Book now
Dates: 24th July – 3rd August 2013
Route: Delhi – Leh – Srinagar
For further enquiries, contact:
Veissali Kapoor +91 9910517474
Nitin Yadhav +91 9911402692
Team Purple Club
Old 13th July 2013, 00:28   #4581
BHPian

This is indeed true that Mahindra is launching two more models. Just spoke to one of their RMs and he mentioned about W4 and the automatic version in 2014. I have been waiting for AT.
vinit_relan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2013, 07:46   #4582
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushargohil View Post
Source FB

XUV500 W8 and W8AWD owners now can upgrade to version 8.0 of their MapmyIndia map in their infotainment system, with more than 10 million POIs and 50 cities with House Nos, for free! Contact your relationship manager at Mahindra dealership today or call us on 1800 266 7000 (toll free). T&C apply.
Tushar, Thanks for the update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Wow! This is news. Just a few days back I was talking to my RM after returning back from my recent annual long drive. I was telling him on how the MMI needs to improve for many parts of India, that they need to upgrade their current maps badly. The RM chipped in that there is indeed an upgrade available but I will need to buy that since MMI does not come with any free upgrade offer for this car. Looks like things have changed!
Zappo, we - the informed folks - are at least a few weeks ahead of the RMs in terms of information. When I had sent the vehicle for speed-sensor repairs on 26th June, I had asked the RM to upgrade my MMI to 8.0. He promised, but didn't do it. When asked, he gave some mumbo-jumbo about the CD being available with them but they doing in only for people facing issues with the older version. I was planning to take it up with the customer care and then the speed-sensor-assembly scandal happened which consumed all my attention for next week or so.
Old 13th July 2013, 11:00   #4583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Hey that's cool. Few doubts however
- will the parking lights be ON even when the engine is not running but the battery is ON
- wont cranking the engine with the LED lights ON not cause it to fuse. My RM advised to keep the lights in OFF before cranking the engine, after I lost a pair of low beam bulbs. Used to keep in autolight mode and crank while the lights were ON.
-how about warranty. Understand the full light unit will be replaced if LED conks off. But with this modification in wiring, will they still give the warranty.

FundaG
well yeah, it's connected to the ignition. so when you switch the ignition on, the LEDs will fire up. And yes, I've also had this LEDs-going-bust issue on my mind, when I got this done- particularly, because they will be running pretty much all the time. I haven't got and answer to that. *fingers crossed*
Old 13th July 2013, 14:40   #4584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Tushar, Thanks for the update!

Zappo, we - the informed folks - are at least a few weeks ahead of the RMs in terms of information. When I had sent the vehicle for speed-sensor repairs on 26th June, I had asked the RM to upgrade my MMI to 8.0. He promised, but didn't do it. When asked, he gave some mumbo-jumbo about the CD being available with them but they doing in only for people facing issues with the older version. I was planning to take it up with the customer care and then the speed-sensor-assembly scandal happened which consumed all my attention for next week or so.
Guys, Please double check with your RM before you visit workshop. as per my RM IG Whitefield - MMI 8.0 release is out but they don't have installer.
Tushargohil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2013, 19:06   #4585
BHPian

Not sure about the Galpher/Bosch part timeframes. While ispecting a misalignment of the rear light assembly, I photographed the break assembly too. It's Bosch. My vehical is 10Th Feb-13 manufacture. No problems whatsoever till date with the breaks. The bite is fine althrough there is noticeable black powder residue on the front rims after each long drive. I have never seen this kind in my earlier vehicals. Hope it's normal. Here is the break asemmbly snap.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-boschpads.jpg  

Old 15th July 2013, 00:14   #4586
BHPian

The black powder is more commonly called brake dust that occurs due to the erosion of the pads and discs upon braking. It is normal for it to settle on the alloys.
mdsaif92 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2013, 15:08   #4587
BHPian

Here is an interesting travelogue and a comparison between the XUV and Tata Aria in hostile regions - http://overdrive.in/features/tata-ar...-of-the-world/
nikhileshgrover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2013, 18:01   #4588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Finaly i got that replaced today for 2160 bucks. Whats the point of having 200 mm of ground clearance when the approach angel is so low. Infact when i went to service station, there was another chap with same issue.
What do we expect now when the GC is coming down to 160 mm. I am not sure how sturdy the metal plate would be to survive being crushed between the weight of the car and the ground.
Old 15th July 2013, 18:11   #4589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
What do we expect now when the GC is coming down to 160 mm. I am not sure how sturdy the metal plate would be to survive being crushed between the weight of the car and the ground.
If i am not wrong, XUV always had 160/170 mm GC thanks to front plastic guard. It's just that M&M was using Euro system to calculate 200mm clearance. Now with the new ones coming with metal guard, will just replace plastic ones resulting in even lower GC. Only good thing i see here is that now it wont break in as easily as the plastic ones did.
nitinralli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2013, 20:18   #4590
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
If i am not wrong, XUV always had 160/170 mm GC thanks to front plastic guard. It's just that M&M was using Euro system to calculate 200mm clearance. Now with the new ones coming with metal guard, will just replace plastic ones resulting in even lower GC. Only good thing i see here is that now it wont break in as easily as the plastic ones did.
That is correct! In fact, if M&M are really really smart, they won't even change the plastic guard to metal and just convince the govt agency that they were using the incorrect method of calculation earlier and now they have calculated with the correct method.

Most Viewed